Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

darealkooky posted:

I am much happier then I should be that otacon is now buff and gets all the ladies without making them die in tragic ways.

How do you know they're not dying in tragic ways? Maybe girlfriend death is just so common around the Emmerich household that eventually Sunny just got accustomed to it and treats it like a breakup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

YeOldeButchere posted:

...now I want one of the Metal Gear games to feature a US supreme court justice as a villain.

Please, Lord, let this be MGR2. Raiden's sword is discovered to be merely a tool of Justice as he's deceived and used by a wily Supreme Court justice.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Neruz posted:

In relation to people who agree with Armstrong; do they not realise that we tried that? Indeed large parts of the world are still trying that and they are all universally loving horrible places to live.

Do these people really want to go back to the old feudal systems where might makes right?

I will admit though that there is a certain primitve part of me that would totally follow a man like Armstrong. Key word being 'primitve.'

I believe that's why the game had the former Libyan child soldier reply with "The gently caress is wrong with you?!"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I believe that's why the game had the former Libyan child soldier reply with "The gently caress is wrong with you?!"

Liberian!

Which is closer to Libertarian actually, in spelling.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Neruz posted:

In relation to people who agree with Armstrong; do they not realise that we tried that? Indeed large parts of the world are still trying that and they are all universally loving horrible places to live.

Do these people really want to go back to the old feudal systems where might makes right?

I will admit though that there is a certain primitve part of me that would totally follow a man like Armstrong. Key word being 'primitve.'

People with money don't have empathy for people without, this is nearly universal. Armstrong is a rich dude from rich family with invincibility-granting nanomachines and could kill anybody in the world with his bare hands and do anything he wanted and nobody could stop him. Aside from the nanomachines, there's plenty of people in the real world like that.

The reason so many people think like that is by virtue of the fact that a large percentage of Americans are still clinging to the idea that they can be like that too and all it takes is hard work and ingenuity and whatever-the-gently caress-else that tired propaganda poo poo talks about, so they're totally in favor of this kind of thing. It's just stupid people voting against their own interests, like always.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Chip Cheezum posted:

There is a sword fight in this update.

I can't believe the final boss fight starts with fighting a giant ant.

What makes it better is that the Armstrong was trying to white ant the entire US.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

ChairMaster posted:

People with money don't have empathy for people without, this is nearly universal. Armstrong is a rich dude from rich family with invincibility-granting nanomachines and could kill anybody in the world with his bare hands and do anything he wanted and nobody could stop him. Aside from the nanomachines, there's plenty of people in the real world like that.

The reason so many people think like that is by virtue of the fact that a large percentage of Americans are still clinging to the idea that they can be like that too and all it takes is hard work and ingenuity and whatever-the-gently caress-else that tired propaganda poo poo talks about, so they're totally in favor of this kind of thing. It's just stupid people voting against their own interests, like always.

Or, put another way: Armstrong is a prime example of the just-world fallacy.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Geop posted:

I'd vote for him!

((in case other folks ask: yes, I made this :v:))

It's funny how that single frame of Armstrong smiling is used for everything Armstrong related. It's also at this very moment when this game actually goes from just being a "Raiden Spin Off game" to a full on "Metal Gear" game. It's like a beautiful crescendo that builds up and up through this fight and then it drops beautifully.

Rynex fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 7, 2013

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Holy loving poo poo

That being out of my system, I'm going to admit that I never was that interested in Metal Gear games. A whole lot of cutscene to not a lot of gameplay? Not something I'm that eager to throw my money at.

Now that I've seen this, though, I might just make a single exception. Though I don't know if replaying the game would have anywhere near the jaw-dropping power of the first time. I don't think anything will match the sheer glee when you started beating the Excelsus with its own leg.

I'm going to assume the next update starts with "So Boris, did you get all that?" though. Because really, how could it not?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Raiden having a sword fight with Metal Gear Excelsor's own sword was pretty much the greatest thing ever.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Neruz posted:

You know how a lot of people like to fantasize about the zombie apocalypse? Or, like, the Mad Max style collapse of civilization with plate-armored sports cars and sawn-off shotguns and stuff? That's because most of those people envision themselves as being badass survivors living a life of excitement and adventure free of society's stifling rules and constraints instead of being "third skull from the left on the bottom row of the skull pyramid" or "half-starved wretch suffering from scurvy and dysentery."

So the truthful answer is that they don't actually want to live in a world that's actually like that because for almost all of them it would be a miserable and harrowing existence punctuated by a horrible death, but they love the fantasy of it.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I love the end of this game because the Armstrong/Excelsus fight is like a heartfelt parody of every other Metal Gear endboss, down to the stages of the fight, the camera direction used, and the big hammy mixed up monologues about politics and fighting.

And it really exemplifies why I love Revengeance so:

it establishes a world where the most reasonable course of action, the best of all possible outcomes, is for Raiden the conspiracy-groomed child soldier to plug into his hot-rodded lightning-themed cyborg body and cut everything apart with a sword (which he learned how to use partially because he had a mission where he was forced to duel an ex-president to the death in the middle of New York City near a destroyed Metal Gear, and partially because he loves Lone Wolf and Cub movies).

Raiden, the literally sadomasochistic cyberpunk soldier that invented the cyborg-breakdancing school of swordsmanship, is the straightforward voice of reason in this.

He is totally going out for samosas with his coworkers and dog-shaped-robot-buddy after he duels another political figure to the death near the wreckage of a Metal Gear, and he realizes how ridiculous it is.

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.

TwoPair posted:

How do you know they're not dying in tragic ways? Maybe girlfriend death is just so common around the Emmerich household that eventually Sunny just got accustomed to it and treats it like a breakup.

Actually, inferring from what Sunny says, it's highly likely that Otacon deliberately does not commit to any woman now because of the fact that every time he becomes emotionally close to a woman, a horrific tragedy is the result, usually involving the death of said woman. Hence why he is now a ladies' man who just does one night stands.

He's getting laid and saving lives at the same time.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kai Tave posted:

You know how a lot of people like to fantasize about the zombie apocalypse? Or, like, the Mad Max style collapse of civilization with plate-armored sports cars and sawn-off shotguns and stuff? That's because most of those people envision themselves as being badass survivors living a life of excitement and adventure free of society's stifling rules and constraints instead of being "third skull from the left on the bottom row of the skull pyramid" or "half-starved wretch suffering from scurvy and dysentery."

So the truthful answer is that they don't actually want to live in a world that's actually like that because for almost all of them it would be a miserable and harrowing existence punctuated by a horrible death, but they love the fantasy of it.

But they must surely realise that it is just that; a complete fantasy that is in no way reflective of reality? Right? Right?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

QuetzaDrake posted:

Actually, inferring from what Sunny says, it's highly likely that Otacon deliberately does not commit to any woman now because of the fact that every time he becomes emotionally close to a woman, a horrific tragedy is the result, usually involving the death of said woman. Hence why he is now a ladies' man who just does one night stands.

He's getting laid and saving lives at the same time.

A true American hero.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Neruz posted:

But they must surely realise that it is just that; a complete fantasy that is in no way reflective of reality? Right? Right?

For some people, there's video games. For others...well....

Okay, so nanomachine reactive armor I get, Armstrong's body is like a colloid, the harder you squeeze it the harder it gets, but what the heck is the deal with the wires popping out of Metal Gear when he powered up?

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Neruz posted:

What other viewpoint do they have? Every time that sort of narrative comes up, the only real person involved is Awesome McBadass. There's no other role model. There's a reason for that, but it's hard for people to picture that kind of world without immediately drifting to the stories they know.

That's the only meme they have.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Speedball posted:

Okay, so nanomachine reactive armor I get, Armstrong's body is like a colloid, the harder you squeeze it the harder it gets, but what the heck is the deal with the wires popping out of Metal Gear when he powered up?

This isn't really mentioned in the game itself but for Armstrong to actually activate his nano-hulk powers he needs to suck up a ton of power from other things.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speedball posted:

In the codecs Doktor suggests that the senator might be a body of 'nanomachine clay' basically a big amorphous blob of nanomachines. I don't think that's actually true, but I'm guessing that the nanomachines used the power from Metal Gear to rapidly reproduce and create a sort of nanomachine clay armour out of his skin which is why he got fat.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Speedball posted:

Did you ever see Crank 2?

It's basically like that only with nanomachines.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chip Cheezum posted:

This isn't really mentioned in the game itself but for Armstrong to actually activate his nano-hulk powers he needs to suck up a ton of power from other things.

Sounds like Armstrong and Volgin would make a good tag team.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Genocyber posted:

Sounds like Armstrong and Volgin would make a good tag team.

Now I want to see a picture of Volgin and Armstrong striking homoerotic poses while Volgin powers up Armstrong.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

Now I want to see a picture of Volgin and Armstrong striking homoerotic poses while Volgin powers up Armstrong.

No, they just do the fusion dance.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

He's not the Hulk, he's very clearly Colossus. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

He's a cyborg but not a traditional one who uses whole machinery to replace body parts. Instead he's like the Dentons from Deus Ex, albeit a massively overpowered version of them. Nanomachines that provide certain various benefits on command, then revert his body to normal. It's probably for the same reason the Dentons were developed, too: this way he can disguise his enhancements and pretend to be a completely normal guy to most others.

He mentions how he used to be in the Navy. If you remember MGS2, the Arsenal project was a Navy project, too. I wonder if he was in on that at all.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speedball posted:

He mentions how he used to be in the Navy. If you remember MGS2, the Arsenal project was a Navy project, too. I wonder if he was in on that at all.

Quite probably; the ovbious military applications for his form of cybridization make it highly likely it was developed by one of the military branches and the Navy has proven to be up to that sort of poo poo in the past so you may well be on to something there.

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.
I've been following this LP for a while, enjoying the brand of crazy action and crazy story on display, but not really considering getting it myself. I'd suck too much at it, and like Bayonetta, I'd probably rage-quit after a certain point because I would fail to grasp the mechanics well enough to play the game well.

But from this most recent update and how people are hyping its conclusion, I'm thinking of grabbing a copy just so I can support the degree of awesome on display, and to put on my shelf of other Metal Gear games I'm putting off playing myself.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Neruz posted:

All I can picture is something like this.

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008

icesoldier posted:

I've been following this LP for a while, enjoying the brand of crazy action and crazy story on display, but not really considering getting it myself. I'd suck too much at it, and like Bayonetta, I'd probably rage-quit after a certain point because I would fail to grasp the mechanics well enough to play the game well.

But from this most recent update and how people are hyping its conclusion, I'm thinking of grabbing a copy just so I can support the degree of awesome on display, and to put on my shelf of other Metal Gear games I'm putting off playing myself.

It's honestly not that difficult of a game. It's not EASY either, but it's no DMC3 when it comes to difficulty. It's a very nice balance of challenge and badassery.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Another dumb thing a lot of people have pointed it out that I find amusing is the fact that Armstrong's lifebar just says "Senator", no names or anything. I don't know why, but it feels pretty reminiscent of the simple boss lifebars way back on the NES.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Maybe his first name really is Senator.

No, not the name he gives to the press, I mean his true first name.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jesus Christ on a giant insectoid robot, I hated this boss fight too. Watching Chip just wreck poo poo up with Sundowner's weapon made me feel extra dumb, since it took me ages and ages of frustration to get that far. In the fight I also apparently forgot how to press cross and circle simultaneously, since I kept dying to the slow-rear end swords. And then, when I ran out of nanopaste, the game showed pity and dropped me those two Geckos which - as Chip kindly pointed out - are a pain in the rear end to zandatsu, especially when there's a Metal Gear shooting lasers at you. And then the camera kept loving me over, and then I started getting mad at how you can actually dodge through the horizontal sword swings because that looks so dumb, and then I was so mad controllers were thrown. After a couple of weeks of cooling down, I finally restarted on an easier difficulty.
And then I hosed up the QTEs in the sword fight and :negative:

Oh, and for the record, Collective Consciousness has nothing on Stains of Time. :colbert:

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby
So could anyone tell me what Armstrong's plan actually is, in more practical terms? I don't really get that big crazy person speech about ending war as a business by toppling America and purging the weak. What?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's basically a Libertarian masturbatory fantasy. Down with big government, up with personal empowerment! gently caress you dad, I can do what I want! Only the strongest and smartest will rise to the top (also I am rich and possess superpowers which will allow me to do so effortlessly but that has nothing to do with anything, anybody could bootstrap themselves into being rich and superpowered if they worked hard enough and if they can't then they deserve to be crushed by my nanomachine-powered Hulk arms)!

Pretty much anything he says about "restoring America" or "ending war as a business" or whatever is essentially just self-serving rhetoric and bullshit, he's just a dude who wants to knock over the block-castle and be king of the Lego pile. Raiden's right, he really is just basically a bugfuck crazy rear end in a top hat who just so happens to be rich enough and nanomachines enough to actually make his Strong Empowered Master Of My Own Destiny fantasies come true rather than posting meandering essays on Tumblr.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Adrastus posted:

So could anyone tell me what Armstrong's plan actually is, in more practical terms? I don't really get that big crazy person speech about ending war as a business by toppling America and purging the weak. What?

1. Spark a new war on terror.
2. Use the war to get elected as President.
3. Aggressively pursue a "better America" through all sorts of crazy policies.

His plan is to get into power, destroy everything, and rebuild from the ashes. It's the classic "only the strong will survive" thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Between this and the Monsoon fight this is now my favourite fighting game, holy poo poo.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'm currently without words but I still have to complain about that cliffhanger you pulled on us there. :smith:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

This is heading straight into Metal Wolf Chaos territory.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Basically what Armstrong is advocating is total anarchy where the strong rule by virtue of being strong. He's suggesting we go back to one of the various tribal and feudal models of society that europe grew out of in the last few centuries.

Or, in laymans terms: Screw the law I have nanomachines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

YeOldeButchere posted:

...now I want one of the Metal Gear games to feature a US supreme court justice as a villain.
It turns out the insides of the Supreme Court aren't public knowledge because morally questionable biomechanical experiments take place there.

• Locked thread