Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

Mederlock posted:

Anyone want to post some fresh screenshots of IL-2 with a good graphics card/high graphics settings? I've been spoiled by DCS and a modded to gently caress FSX, and I'm curious. I might buy it if it still looks good.

I apologize in advance: I like using Spanish Nationalist/Republican skins when I can. :spain:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/633042363012603011/5FFE18D2F02A3CCF78224DD7B4F7ED8CD69C5AAB/
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/631916996195801746/EEF8028733C08519286A7A3B744180F048D1FB47/
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/630785943025700248/5B8CD83E68444924CB12A6BB838BA35D561F9ED2/

Tony party
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/631910101183229832/50400089946BA3BC81F0AC673490331C9CD49A2F/

Showing off the new weapon and damage effects along with the recently added flyable Hawk 75A3
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/630784050825820037/557F283A1679E3181369E68C1695AD6C21FE7261/
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/631909837441670627/05A356D95B653B1A855851B4B2E2D69AFF01B1F4/

And just some formation flight
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/612757604160743676/5D6F378AB16D07AACE706D671EAB1E5EE9FC2AA9/
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/631910101183227503/B916C7343E6F709439A3F13A91985396FF123DD4/
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/633042363012607135/0DC2F85FE39AD3C04D14E21E7D11DE97E8E8ADE1/

It's aged OK-ish. Its got it where it counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for those, it looks like it looks well enough for it not to be distracting. I might end up picking it up.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
1946 unmodded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuFMBT2VAA4

4.11 with shaders mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBkrJwALGN8

If that looks too fugly for you, you can opt for a night fighter and spend your time staring at radar screens, oh yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg76JI8mbzk

Oh boo. :mad:
vvv

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 8, 2013

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
That Nightfighter stuff was never implemented.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If you take the 'I won't play because it's not pretty' attitude then you're going to miss out on a ton of fun games, not just this one.

FYI, it looks like for some stupid reason the only way to get the game on Steam at this particular moment is by buying Rise of Flight. It's stupid but whatever. GOG still has it, up to date and DRM free, for 10 bucks.

That being said...

:siren:The First IL-2 night of Fall 2013 will be this Wednesday:siren:

The weather is starting to turn sour, I'm about to have free nights to myself on a regular basis again and it's time to get back in to flight sims!

When: September 11th 7:30PM CST (NOTE: This isn't going to be the regular IL-2 night, it just happens to be a night when I'm free this coming week)

Where to meet: The #il2gs channel on irc.synirc.org and/or the Mumble channel in the OP of this thread.

What to have installed: Either the Steam or GOG version of IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. No additional mods are required.

Also, probably Hyperlobby, a server browser for if we decide to join a pubbie server instead of hosting our own games. This takes just a few minutes to set up, is straight forward, and won't break your game.

What to practice before playing: Taking off without hitting things.

EDIT: Skim the OP and second post of the IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 thread for info if you're new to the game, especially the part about the missing folders so you aren't wondering why you don't have mission briefings when you join the server.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 8, 2013

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
This plane just owns so much....

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

quote:

:siren:The First IL-2 night of Fall 2013 will be this Wednesday:siren:

The weather is starting to turn sour, I'm about to have free nights to myself on a regular basis again and it's time to get back in to flight sims!

When: September 11th 7:30PM CST (NOTE: This isn't going to be the regular IL-2 night, it just happens to be a night when I'm free this coming week)

Where to meet: The #il2gs channel on irc.synirc.org and/or the Mumble channel in the OP of this thread.

What to have installed: Either the Steam or GOG version of IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. No additional mods are required.

Also, probably Hyperlobby, a server browser for if we decide to join a pubbie server instead of hosting our own games. This takes just a few minutes to set up, is straight forward, and won't break your game.

What to practice before playing: Taking off without hitting things.

EDIT: Skim the OP and second post of the IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 thread for info if you're new to the game, especially the part about the missing folders so you aren't wondering why you don't have mission briefings when you join the server.

Yeah, '46 as a preorder incentive on a platform that Ubi took it off of because on one was buying Cliffs of Dover. How does this work? :iiam:

For those who are going to be trying '46 out for the first time, don't just jump into your favorite fighter. The P-40 is probably the best aircraft to learn on. It won't bite you in the rear end like the Mustang or the Spit, but it won't spoil you like a 109 or Yak/Magic Lavochkin 7.

Zvenos are for disasters and I love them because of it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For the 777 ( and this may be true for other pmdg ) if you want to connect ground power without turning on the apu to start the FMS, just hold the menu button and it'll activate so you can connect.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Is there any reason that IL-2 46 isn't for sale on steam anymore? I know they're giving it away if you buy Rise of Flight but I've never seen them yank a game just for that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You're right. I just went to 1946 and went to store page, and it just took me to the generic store main page.

I've noticed that a few times in the past, I've always assumed it the publishers pulling it off for some reason although at least it seems once you buy it it's always available for download/play on steam, thankfully.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

sellouts posted:

For the 777 ( and this may be true for other pmdg ) if you want to connect ground power without turning on the apu to start the FMS, just hold the menu button and it'll activate so you can connect.

Well that's good to know, although I generally use the short turn setup.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Well I have the disc version but since the steam version updated I was looking into getting that someday so I don't need to rely on the disc and spend an hour patching.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I posted this a few posts up:

quote:

FYI, it looks like for some stupid reason the only way to get the game on Steam at this particular moment is by buying Rise of Flight. It's stupid but whatever. GOG still has it, up to date and DRM free, for 10 bucks.

Rumors go between '1C took this down because nobody's buying CLOD' to '777 took this down to sell more copies of RoF.' Either way, you can get it from GOG and just set it up as a non Steam game.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I imagine it's 777's way of getting people to try Rise of Flight.

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

LP97S posted:

Is there any reason that IL-2 46 isn't for sale on steam anymore? I know they're giving it away if you buy Rise of Flight but I've never seen them yank a game just for that.

Well, the sort of "accepted" hypothesis is that Ubisoft/1C/etc. decided to pull it from Steam because the few sales they were getting were from that and not from CloD. There's no real evidence that I'm aware of that supports this other than the circumstances and a little bit of reasoning. At the time, CloD was $29.99 US and '46 was $9.99. '46 has so many theatres, so much content, and a lower price tag. Since flightsimmers are the antithesis of mainstream gamers when it comes to the life cycle of a game, we'll cling to a drat game and put in the effort to improve it on our own (what's up Falcon BMS 4.32?) without having to depend on the developers. So, a game like '46 is going to endear much moreso to the simming audience than CloD could have ever, even if it wasn't a giant disaster on release.

Again, this is all unverifiable as far as I know, but it seems the most likely to me.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

If you take the 'I won't play because it's not pretty' attitude then you're going to miss out on a ton of fun games, not just this one.

That being said...

Well, like I said, I've been spoiled. Like, I have no problem with Mount and Blade's/games of similar graphics quality graphics, it's just if it get much more below that it's just distracting. Those screenshots that were posted look pretty great in the cockpit/aircraft model's and textures, which is all I really care about for the most part. Like, I couldn't go back and play Falcon 4.0 Allied Force(BMS owns though).

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

so, VATSIM...

Is there somewhere I can read about flying a pattern, procedures, the rest of the basic stuff so I don't ruin some poor controller's day once I get to the point of trying it online.

I'm the kind of person who needs to read a lot about something before trying it out the first time.

Also, does it have a AI mode so I can get ATC directives that don't route me to 120 while I'm trying to fly CYYC to KSNA? (I finally got it to route me back onto my scheduled course and then ran out of gas on final)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Come to IRC.

E: Angle of Attack has free GA lessons

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 8, 2013

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What's that one website that has a load of instructional lessons for learning pattern work/ATC communication/etc. for the other ATC network

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/page/ratings.html

This is actually for VATSIM. But the same guy that made it runs PilotEdge so there is a version for that network too.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Ferret King posted:

http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/page/ratings.html

This is actually for VATSIM. But the same guy that made it runs PilotEdge so there is a version for that network too.

:glomp: Thanks man that's the one

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The pilot certs are really fun. Do the vfr/ifr one before the commercial ones.

I fly almost exclusively in zla airspace so if you want some help I could help you get started via mumble

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I did their V ratings and then their I1 through I11 and I had a blast. What a very well constructed program. It's never overwhelming and even if you have a passing interest in aviation navigation, you'll find the learning experience very rewarding.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Keith is actually almost finished writing a brand new 15-cert program that is AWESOME. But they're going to be PE-members-only. :smuggo:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I will likely join PE just for that. It really makes things fun, especially if I don't have to wait for vatsim controllers to be able to accept the training requests.

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

Mederlock posted:

Well, like I said, I've been spoiled. Like, I have no problem with Mount and Blade's/games of similar graphics quality graphics, it's just if it get much more below that it's just distracting. Those screenshots that were posted look pretty great in the cockpit/aircraft model's and textures, which is all I really care about for the most part. Like, I couldn't go back and play Falcon 4.0 Allied Force(BMS owns though).

I know how that is. Some of my favorite games from Junior High and High School were Flight Unlimited and Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis. I just can't go back to them at this time, anymore. Then again, I do have the benefit of having ArmA 2 and the CWR mod as well as the ability to go grab a friend who owns a Yak-52 and do some actual aerobatics.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Goetta posted:

I think Plan-G is pretty great for flight planning, although you still have to look up the relevant SID and STAR and put it in. http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/planG.htm

This program is really great but there are a lot of intersections missing in the plan I'm trying to set up.

Should I run another database build or does FSX just not have an updated registry of intersection points?

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 9, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Regarding FSX, a couple questions:

1: Is there a recommended terrain mesh/scenery for the Western US/Canada? I used to us FS Genesis mesh and it was OK, but wonder if there is anything better nowdays.

2: Is pretty much everything FSX directly usable in pr3d? IE: Those new PMDG planes all you guys are jizzing over?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

slidebite posted:

1: Is there a recommended terrain mesh/scenery for the Western US/Canada? I used to us FS Genesis mesh and it was OK, but wonder if there is anything better nowdays.

2: Is pretty much everything FSX directly usable in pr3d? IE: Those new PMDG planes all you guys are jizzing over?

PMDG doesn't test their add-ons with P3D. That doesn't mean that they won't work or aren't buggy. A Google search will probably net you some one who has tried it out already.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bedshaped posted:

This program is really great but there are a lot of intersections missing in the plan I'm trying to set up.

Should I run another database build or does FSX just not have an updated registry of intersection points?

I use it with X-Plane so I'm not really sure. It gave me an error when I first tried to populate the database from XP10 but the second time it ran just fine and everything seems to match in game.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

slidebite posted:

Orbx stuff is pretty great, the new FTX Global looks pretty sweet.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Crossposting this sale from the DCS thread, all DCS products on steam today are 70-80% off:

https://twitter.com/eagledynamics/status/376944016916353024

quote:

DCS: UH-1H Huey $49.99 -80% $9.99
DCS: A-10C Warthog - DLC $39.99 -70% $11.99
DCS: Black Shark 2 $39.99 -70% $11.99
DCS: P-51D Mustang $39.99 -70% $11.99
DCS: Combined Arms $29.99 -70% $8.99
A-10A: DCS Flaming Cliffs DLC $13.99 -70% $4.19
Su-25: DCS Flaming Cliffs $14.99 -70% $4.49

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

You can plug the steam cd keys into the standalone DCS World client, right? Might pick up the Huey despite being terrible at helicopters.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Megadyptes posted:

You can plug the steam cd keys into the standalone DCS World client, right? Might pick up the Huey despite being terrible at helicopters.

I'd also be interested in this answer. Are they still not linking items bought direct from DCS to Steam and vice/versa?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Megadyptes posted:

Yes.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Hav posted:

I'd also be interested in this answer. Are they still not linking items bought direct from DCS to Steam and vice/versa?

You can (and I have) plug all your ED keys into Steam, except for FC3 and B2 upgrade. BS2 standalone is fine. I dont think you can do the Mi-8 either but I dont have that.

My keys are working for A10C, BS2, CA, P-51 and UH-1H. I ahve no idea about the other way around though - steam keys into ED's store.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Megadyptes posted:

At :10bux: that Huey is a great buy. The startup sequence is surprisingly satifying. I got it at $15 and the week's worth of crashes was worth at least that much, no joke.

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

Megadyptes posted:

Huey's friggin' great. It's well worth that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
FML I bought DCS FC3 and A10C during the 30% off DCS sale back in July. I still don't have a computer fast enough to run them yet though. Could I use that purchase to activate the Steam versions? And I heard that FC3 owners are going to get the DCS upgraded versions of the A10A, Su-25, Su-27, F-15C, and Mig 29 for free, is that still correct?