Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'm still missing three Satanna covers. Should I bother buying lockboxes?

I'm missing three Omega Sentinals. I've gotten 6 duplicates in a row now trying to unlock her.

I would say only do it if you're a big fan of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

MrBling posted:

Nope. That's really my main problem in pvp, I lost interest in the game around spec ops 2 and stopped playing for about six months so there's a lot of good equipment that I don't have. I only just got a scroll of bologna from the season 2 incursions, same with the Spirit Edge.

You could try grinding for an Only for Killing in 9.4.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
After 100 boxes worth of dupes I finally got Elektra. Now I just have to do enough PvP to stay in gold league and I'm done.

The Reverand Me
May 12, 2007
Let's make Gravy!
So after getting massively annoyed at all the duplicates from Elektra lockboxes, I decided to open the handful of Satana boxes I had lying around. The first one gave me the last cover I needed for her. I had basically given up on her so that was nice. I think I might just hoarde the last few Elektra boxes for a month, see if the same thing happens.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

MrBling posted:

Nope. That's really my main problem in pvp, I lost interest in the game around spec ops 2 and stopped playing for about six months so there's a lot of good equipment that I don't have. I only just got a scroll of bologna from the season 2 incursions, same with the Spirit Edge.

Angolob takes off that buff that makes her use her attack that hits like a truck as a counter.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

What are some good combinations to get the high-score with Dark Wolverine? I'm not having much success there...

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Moreau posted:

What are some good combinations to get the high-score with Dark Wolverine? I'm not having much success there...

Make sure you're fighting Dark Wolverine and the mini bosses at the same time. This is essential.

Chose someone who gives good team-up bonuses (X-23 is a good call if you have her but there are other good options).

Keep everyone health high for the health bonus.

Try to use at least 5 and preferably 10 items to get a Quartermaster bonus.

Try to finish the match as quickly as possible for the time bonus.

If possible, try to get epic overkills and one-shots because these give a lot of bonuses to your final score.

A good way to combine a lot of these is to use chrono accelerators to give yourself a lot of extra turns. This means you have plenty of time to use items, set your characters up to do max damage and kill opponents quickly. If you are really struggling just buy 15+ chrono accelerators and have all 3 of your characters use it on themselves each turn. Suddenly having twice as many turns as normal will give you a massive leg-up.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Sefer posted:

You could try grinding for an Only for Killing in 9.4.

Is it good enough that I want to recruit a hero (Thing) that I'm probably never going to use in order to try and get it?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

MrBling posted:

Is it good enough that I want to recruit a hero (Thing) that I'm probably never going to use in order to try and get it?

You have to be careful about debuff removers and characters that have non-quick non-attack actions when you use it, but the AI generally triggers it so it can be very damaging. I don't see opponents using them in PVP these days, but that may just be because they're not great to leave on your defense team- the AI won't target them as well and players know how to deal with them. It's the best psychic weapon you can grind for that I can think of. However, if spending the CP would keep you from having enough to get the next SpecOps character or have enough characters to unlock a chapter, I wouldn't do it; grinding 9.4 is going to cut down your CP income if you normally grind chapter 12. The odds of getting it before the end of this season are pretty low, so keep that in mind, too.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Sefer posted:

You have to be careful about debuff removers and characters that have non-quick non-attack actions when you use it, but the AI generally triggers it so it can be very damaging. I don't see opponents using them in PVP these days, but that may just be because they're not great to leave on your defense team- the AI won't target them as well and players know how to deal with them. It's the best psychic weapon you can grind for that I can think of. However, if spending the CP would keep you from having enough to get the next SpecOps character or have enough characters to unlock a chapter, I wouldn't do it; grinding 9.4 is going to cut down your CP income if you normally grind chapter 12. The odds of getting it before the end of this season are pretty low, so keep that in mind, too.

Well, this would be for the next season.

At this point the only recruitable characters I'm missing are Ms Marvel, Thing, Sif, Black Panther, Red Hulk, Angel and the newly unlocked Squirrel Girl.

Ghost Rider, Mockingbird and Valkyrie are locked although I suppose they might go on sale at some point again. And I guess if I really wanted to grind that ios game I could unlock Mockingbird.

I'm assuming Red Hulk will be needed for the next spec ops so I should probably grind some command points for him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Whoo! I managed to get my last cover for Elektra by opening boxes one at a time. Bye-bye, PVP.

For awhile there, I felt like I didn't have enough heroes and all my characters were just waiting to go from 9 to 10 or 10 to 11. Now I have Elektra and Squirrel Girl, Gambit and Rogue (Rogue is boring but Gambit is surprisingly fun), and Wolverine to level up.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Got my last Elektra cover, woot! gently caress you, pvp... maybe we'll meet again after Phoenix gets nerfed into the shitter where she belongs

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I almost want to make Diamond League again for that crystal. It looks pretty nice.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

161 PVP battles, 5 shadowy lockboxes every day... no Elektra *sigh*

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Moreau posted:

161 PVP battles, 5 shadowy lockboxes every day... no Elektra *sigh*

:( :hf: :(

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
One cover short of Juggernaut, Magneto, Omega, Satana, and now Elektra. Lockboxes are the worst.

The Reverand Me
May 12, 2007
Let's make Gravy!
I've just got Elektra with a single lockbox to spare. I feel you guys' pain, I don't know why I keep chasing the lockbox heroes when it's so frustrating.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Is there a Squirrel Girl vs. Dr. Doom heroic battle yet? Why not?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there a Squirrel Girl vs. Dr. Doom heroic battle yet? Why not?

Perhaps they released her now so that battle can be in Chapter 2.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They're waiting until they get the cosmic stuff in so she can take on Thanos

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Opopanax posted:

They're waiting until they get the cosmic stuff in so she can take on Thanos

Thanos: Now Avengers you will die!
Squirrel Girl: Oh yea? get him guys!
*A flood of a million squirrels comes flying out of nowhere and surrounds Thanos*
Thanos: Arrrrrrrrgh!!!

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
My summary of PVP this season: Get back in the fight! Get back in the fight! Get back in the fight! Get back in the fight!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Vexed by a gauntlet of infinite squirrels.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

VextheGrey posted:

My summary of PVP this season: Get back in the fight! Get back in the fight! Get back in the fight! Get back in the fight!
If leethax figures out a way to speed up not only the combat animations but the "Get back in the fight" animations it'll be a godsend.

Also I had 3 wins not count today due to combat validation errors. gently caress this game

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VextheGrey posted:

Yep. P5 Cyclops is pretty awesome. I had a battle last night where we almost got nuked in the first turn by Modern Thor, but he triggered all 3 of my characters into attack, and destroyed the other team.

I wish I had known you didn't have to complete incursions or heroic battles to unlock Doc Ock epic boss. That would have saved me so much anguish.

Is Angel's Alt worth getting? 90 CPs is a lot, and while I've got nearly 150 banked, I'm afraid there will be another 90 cp character released before Bishop gets released.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 9, 2013

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Is Angel's Alt worth getting? 90 CPs is a lot, and while I've got nearly 150 banked, I'm afraid there will be another 90 cp character released before Bishop gets released.

His alt is essentially an entirely different character- only the wings passive is the same. All his powers are single target, but they do have some good effects- his last two powers turn off resurrection and ignore resurrection, respectively, and nanoplague from his second power is a great effect if it doesn't get removed right away. He seems decent enough. May want to build up a bit of a buffer in case of another character if you're worried, though.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Yep. P5 Cyclops is pretty awesome. I had a battle last night where we almost got nuked in the first turn by Modern Thor, but he triggered all 3 of my characters into attack, and destroyed the other team.

I wish I had known you didn't have to complete incursions or heroic battles to unlock Doc Ock epic boss. That would have saved me so much anguish.

It's definitely not worth it, imo, unless you already have every other character. It's a nice alt outfit, but I don't think it's worth 90 cp. I won't be using it much.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

VextheGrey posted:

I probably know a lot less about the game mechanics than many of you, but I think this is a level-dependent thing. Last season, almost everyone I fought was running two of Human Torch, Dr. Strange, Cyclops, War Machine, or Wolverine. (The variants would really ruin my day, especially Iron Patriot.) This season, at just under level 100, drop Dr. Strange but add occasional skirmishes with Shadowcat, World War Hulk, and loving Rescue. I see Phoenix very rarely and Scarlet Witch more rarely than that.

However, almost everyone I fight has stuff like Aegis armor, Warbringer Axe, Scroll of Angolob, and Sinister Sceptre.

By the way, why is it that when I look at comments about PVP on the wiki, people respond to complaints with "Rescue [or whoever] isn't overpowered because this one specific tactic can beat it. Everyone laugh at the noob." Do they not understand that building your team to counter a single character means that character's definitely overpowered?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I thought about trying to make a climb this evening but then I fought five Phoenix/Cyclops teams in a row and realised that it would in no way be a fun way to spend an evening.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I keep bouncing between top 9% and top 12%. Barely sitting in diamond now and I'm not sure if I should try to inch my way up a little or just hope my defensive team doesn't lose too much.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've resigned myself to the fact I'm probably stuck in diamond this season if I'm lucky.

Dammit, last two I managed to get to Vibranium. where did I go so wrong?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This definitely seems harder. I usually make at least diamond and now I'm just struggling to stay in gold

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So what's the fastest way to get Squirrel Girl that doesn't involve spending any money?

I don't really play this game anymore but on the off chance it becomes super awesome sometime in the future, I want to make sure I can use her.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kelp Plankton posted:

So what's the fastest way to get Squirrel Girl that doesn't involve spending any money?

I don't really play this game anymore but on the off chance it becomes super awesome sometime in the future, I want to make sure I can use her.

Do you have rogue & gambit? if yes, you have nothing to worry bout, it explains the whole process as you go. But you need those two to complete the covert task.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The best thing about going "oh this one strat works, lrn2play nub" attitude, completely ignores that the one tactic requires turn order to be a specific way, that the rest of the other team doesn't have something to prevent it, and a whole host of other factors.

It isn't Starcraft where you just have to do X to avoid getting Zerg Rushed in the first turn, because there's many many random factors that can ruin either side.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Do you have rogue & gambit? if yes, you have nothing to worry bout, it explains the whole process as you go. But you need those two to complete the covert task.

Ugh, nope. Can I do it without getting them? I only have like 30 of the points you spend on characters and I doubt I could farm up enough to get both of them in time.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

Opopanax posted:

This definitely seems harder. I usually make at least diamond and now I'm just struggling to stay in gold

Usually I'm right on the bubble between diamond and gold. Granted, this season I'm not really trying like I usually do. But I am having trouble getting my 5 wins in silver.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Kelp Plankton posted:

Ugh, nope. Can I do it without getting them? I only have like 30 of the points you spend on characters and I doubt I could farm up enough to get both of them in time.

Nope, you need them for the last 2 tasks to unlock squirrel girl. I had some gold lying around from levelling up and daily roulette and whatnot so I paid the 20 gold to skip the last 2 tasks. You still get the reward if you skip it, so it wasnt too painful as the reward for the second last task is 5 command points, and thats probably what I would have ended up spending that gold on anyway.

Kali11324 posted:

Usually I'm right on the bubble between diamond and gold. Granted, this season I'm not really trying like I usually do. But I am having trouble getting my 5 wins in silver.

Its varied drastically for me from day to day. I usually end up on the border betwee gold and vibranium, this time I'm more or less in the same place, but my 5 victories today that took me from gold to vibranium were way easier than a couple of days ago when I was moving between silver and gold. I do think this one was more tedious than usual though. Today I was seeing a lot of motherfuckers running bruiser agents, which I thought was odd because the glitch with the last PVP gave a whole bunch of undeserving players (ie me) the top level blaster suit. I would have assumed the smart money would have been on seeing lots of blaster agents, or at least at low enough levels that you are fighting other guys who dont have a lot of top level gear.

Seeing a lot of wolverine as per usual, which is nice because I'm running Juggernaut/Rescue (I know shes bullshit, but shes all I've got to counter all the OTHER bullshit in the game) and Juggernaut hits like a goddamn mack truck and on a good day can 1-hit scrapper wolverine, particularly if the turn order is kind and hes shielded. Lots and lots of cyclops, a few Captain America, and a metric fuckton of that scroll thing that makes the agent phase, often with the crown dealie and the usual warbound axe.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
I finally got Ares today, didn't seem like as much of a slog as past Spec Ops. Used the CP I got through the mission to buy Phoenix. Next, saving up for another 90 CP hero, probably Wolverine. This game is fun when you ignore the annoying parts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Ended PVP with only 6 covers for Elektra, after opening 200 boxes (with another 7 unopened.) Took me 23 gold to get the last two, which was nice. Much better than the 80 gold I spent on the last three Magneto covers.

Probably the reason most people's ratings seem down this time around is because of the lockbox hero--ran into the same thing with Juggernaut. I'm willing to bet that most of the time, there's a pretty big contingent of players who don't bother. Maybe they'll do one fight, get their silver, and call it a day. That changes with the lockboxes; people want the character, so they'll do their five fights a day, and that pushes more people's ratings down. (Usually I'm comfortably in gold by the end, but with both Juggernaut and Elektra, I've been dragged deep into the lobster bucket that is Silver.)

• Locked thread