Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

JP Money posted:

Yeah, you might want to check your account. There's not an option for unlimited data anymore when signing your new contract so it automatically puts you on the 2GB plan I'm pretty sure.

E: ^ If that's true you got incredibly lucky. I've never heard of the 100 minutes / unlimited data plan so maybe you're in such a small minority of people that they haven't squashed that yet.

When I ordered through Amazon there was literally a radio button that said "I want to keep my existing plan", for whatever it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

highme posted:

When I use voice commands on my dmaxx to send a text it sends two copies to the recipient. Is anybody else experiencing this?

No.

Did you stutter?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nope. It's like Google now & messaging is catching the message and sending it. My wife was bitching about me sending her multiple messages so I did some testing with her phone (gs3) & a friend's phone (iPhone 5 on att). If I type out a text it works fine. If I transcribe one 2 of the same message get sent for both situations.

Also if I say "ok Google now" to invoke the voice commands it includes "now" in what it's listening for.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Reacean posted:

When I ordered through Amazon there was literally a radio button that said "I want to keep my existing plan", for whatever it's worth.

I had that same button when I was going through online but it gave me a pop-up on the next screen saying unlimited data was no longer supported. That's awesome if you guys get to keep it though. There are lots of jealous people out there that would love to be so lucky.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The Droid ultra is a rather weird choice to throw in there - but I understand why you did it. I wouldn't worry about the One and S4 being "old" devices, they actually have newer chipsets in them than the Ultra (although don't read too much into that, since at this point it hardly matters anymore) so there's no reason to cast them aside at this point.

Let the One and S4 be your $199 choice, and the Droid MAXX be your $299 choice. Get the MAXX if battery life is a big concern to you. Otherwise, the S4 can take SD cards, which the One and MAXX can't. The one has a really nice screen, nice set of speakers, and aluminum construction though.

I was looking at the Ultra because I thought the Maxx was the old Razr Maxx, which I guess is a common mistake. So yeah, S4 or One or Maxx. Battery life is an issue, but a relative one, i.e. my current phone - a launch era Galaxy Nexus - has piss poor battery life, so any improvement will be welcome. Absolutely no need for an SD card (why is this still a big deal for people?), so we can take that right out of the mix.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Also scope out the Moto X (I just gave a quick <24 with it impression in the Android thread). Pretty much the same drat thing as the new Droid line just with a different body/screen. The Droid/X gimmicks sounded more in line with what I do with a phone over what the S4/One have, and I liked the form factor of the X over the battery of the Maxx. They didn't have 'em in stock in store for purchase, but did at least have display models out to play with. All those you're looking at will treat ya well.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bam thwok posted:

(why is this still a big deal for people?)

Because some people don't have reliable access to wifi/drive around lot/have small data allotments.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

big mean giraffe posted:

Because some people don't have reliable access to wifi/drive around lot/have small data allotments.

But is on-board storage of ~32GB not enough? Do people still carry around entire music libraries with them?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

bam thwok posted:

But is on-board storage of ~32GB not enough? Do people still carry around entire music libraries with them?

This gets forgot about a lot. The One has 32GB while the $199 S4 has 16GB. I was torn about the no SD Card slot, but I have seen so many SD Cards poo poo themselves over the years and rarely see any issues with internal flash ram, I'd rather have it built in and not pay Apple prices for more on board. 32GB is pretty much the sweet spot.

After using the S4 for about 2 months, I couldn't stand it anymore. As soon as we got the Ones in I switched and have been happy.

The LG Rep came yesterday with a G2 though. Screen is amazing, and the 2.3GHZ Quad core is a beast. 3000 MaH Battery should be good as well. I might take one for a spin when they come out next week.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 6, 2013

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose
For storage limitations, could an OTG usb cable be used with a flash drive for more space on demand?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Congobongo posted:

For storage limitations, could an OTG usb cable be used with a flash drive for more space on demand?

Probably, but that's probably the least practical method I have ever heard of.

I got a 16GB SD for my Note 2 and I'm going to see how long it lasts.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Pretty sure I've had the same 16GB card that came with my OG Droid when I purchased it shortly after release in 2009.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

Protocol7 posted:

Probably, but that's probably the least practical method I have ever heard of.

I got a 16GB SD for my Note 2 and I'm going to see how long it lasts.

Ya it wouldn't be an elegant solution but I figured if you needed the extra space for movies while you are on a train/plane/long drive you don't really need the portability since you'll be sitting in one place.

Another question on upgrade transfers to non-unlimited lines. I have 3 lines with unlimited on my family plan and 1 line on a tiered plan. Is there any discrete way of transferring upgrades to the tiered line over a certain amount of time to upgrade the unlimited lines? Like would an excuse saying that the device on the tiered line was damaged and I'm transferring the upgrade from my unlimited lines to replace the lost device not raise any flags?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Congobongo posted:

Another question on upgrade transfers to non-unlimited lines. I have 3 lines with unlimited on my family plan and 1 line on a tiered plan. Is there any discrete way of transferring upgrades to the tiered line over a certain amount of time to upgrade the unlimited lines? Like would an excuse saying that the device on the tiered line was damaged and I'm transferring the upgrade from my unlimited lines to replace the lost device not raise any flags?
Nobody really cares, and device history is like 4 clicks from the main screen. I don't want to waste that kind of time, and to go back to point one, nobody really cares.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So I dropped my Droid Maxx which broke the screen and now the capacitative buttons are not working very well. I filed a claim with Assurance already and they don't have my phone in stock. Short of using this phone, could a Verizon store give me a loaner while I wait?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

holocaust bloopers posted:

So I dropped my Droid Maxx which broke the screen and now the capacitative buttons are not working very well. I filed a claim with Assurance already and they don't have my phone in stock. Short of using this phone, could a Verizon store give me a loaner while I wait?
Some corporate stores have emergency loaner stock. Call a local one and ask.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/store-locator

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
To give you a heads up, those stores usually only have 2-3 of those, so they're told to reserve those for firefighters, nurses, doctors, emts, etc, people who work jobs where if they miss a call lives might literally be on the line.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

iostream.h posted:

The kick in the teeth is, if I understood an AT&T technician from a while back, U-verse (or at least DSL) IS available here, except their DSLAM(?) simply can't support any additional subscribers and there are absolutely zero plans to upgrade it.
They could install a second out-of-date DSLAM and move forward, they just dont give a poo poo. (DSLAM is Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer (although I have seen people use "service" instead of subscriber and "auto" instead of access.) Its the thing that lets you drop a giant 100M line into a magic box and it passes out tiny connections to 10's/scores/hundreds of people. There is no reason they could not just throw a second (or third) one under their router.)

GOM
Jan 13, 2001

PWM POTM, September 2013

President & Founding Member of Cardiac Crew (x2)
I am sure that this question has been asked a million times. However, the answer seems to change, or I am too dumb to figure it out.

I have a Nationwide Connect Share 700 plan with two telephones, my wife's dumb phone and my semi-smart phone (original Droid).

The dumb phone cost $100 per month.

The smart phone costs $9.99 per month, plus $29.99 for unlimited email and web.

Both phones are eligible for an upgrade; both phones are on a month to month contract.

I also have a 4G Hotspot MiFi that I had been using for my office internet at my old location. 5 GB for $50. The contract for the MiFi ends at the end of September.

I believe that if I buy my own device, paying full charge, I can keep the unlimited data. Correct?

If I want to get the upgrade price, is there a method? I am unclear whether I can upgrade the dumb phone (since it is the primary line) and then switch it over to the smart phone line while keeping unlimited.

Assuming I bring my own device and bring something like an S4, can I use the S4 as a mobile hotspot? In short, I'd love to drop the $50 for 5 GB device, yet still have the ability to have a device as a mobile hotspot when I need it.

Sorry to be the latest in a long line of idiots asking upgrade questions, but I would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

FordPRefectLL posted:

If I have unlimited phone data can I pop my sim out of my phone and put it in a mobile broadband/jetpack device and it'll still be functional?

I'm also wondering about this. Trying to figure out how sustainable it would be for me to switch all of my home internet use to my unlimited data and ditch the local phone company, or at least their dsl package. (and also if it would be worth picking up a separate device or just continuing to use my phone as a hotspot).

edit: Verizon FAQ says you can

quote:

Can I use my Verizon Wireless 4G SIM in more than one device?

Yes; the Verizon Wireless 4G SIM card contains all of your subscriber information, so the SIM card is portable and can be used in any Verizon Wireless-certified 4G device. All usage will be billed to the account associated with the 4G SIM card.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 7, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, you can upgrade the dumb phone line to a smart phone the swap the SIMs. You will have to add a data package to that line, but you can cancel it after you've swapped the phones and reactivated the dumb phone and you'll only have to pay the prorated cost for the day or two you had it.

EDIT: Just make sure they don't change you to a Share Everything plan.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
If he's on an original droid he won't have a sim card, he'll have to go get one.

GOM
Jan 13, 2001

PWM POTM, September 2013

President & Founding Member of Cardiac Crew (x2)

big mean giraffe posted:

If he's on an original droid he won't have a sim card, he'll have to go get one.

Yeah, I don't have a sim card.

In looking at it, I've decided the upgrade price isn't worth the hassle and tying myself into another contract.

Still looking for an answer on the question regarding using a new smart phone as a hotspot.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you have an unlimited line and LTE phone they'll let you add unlimited tethering/hotspot for $30. Or root your phone but that is getting increasingly harder to do these days.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

If you have an unlimited line and LTE phone they'll let you add unlimited tethering/hotspot for $30. Or root your phone but that is getting increasingly harder to do these days.

Do they detect things like FoxFi now? I've been using it on my unrooted Note 2 and Verizon hasn't said anything yet.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Do they detect things like FoxFi now? I've been using it on my unrooted Note 2 and Verizon hasn't said anything yet.

Naw. Foxfi is fine. Been using it for quite a while. And it dont matter if they detect it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I'm wondering if the reason EDGE exists now is because they know once they debut LTE-Advanced that people will realize it's faster than their terrestrial broadband by a factor of 2-10 times, and they're trying to get as many grandfathered Unlimited Data users to give it up as they can for the ability to access the newest phones? 100Mbit to 1Gbit isn't very attractive when it's got a 6-8 gigabyte ceiling on it.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Anybody in here ever port from Google voice after activation? I set it up and unlocked my google voice number and then went to the verizon site and went to the "change my number" setting and got to the confirmation and it told me the relevant information to start using the number. I know that porting can take a while, does it only begin on Mondays? Anything special I should know, like will I need a new SIM?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I need some advice. I'm trying to get a family member and their son switched away from Verzion. She currently has the Nationwide 1400 plan with her son added as an additional line. Her primary line is month to month, and the son has a dumbphone with a contract ending in December. If she discontinues her primary line, how will that affect her payments? Will the secondary phone still be active on the nationwide plan?

If she terminates her entire service for both phones with Verizon, is my math right in thinking the ETF will be around $140?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I recently upgraded from an iPhone 4S to a Moto X, and for all intents and purposes it went smoothly. However, for some reason whenever my iPhone-toting friends sent me a text message it goes to my old iPhone. Do I need to do or have my friends do something so that my X receives the message instead?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Karthe posted:

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 4S to a Moto X, and for all intents and purposes it went smoothly. However, for some reason whenever my iPhone-toting friends sent me a text message it goes to my old iPhone. Do I need to do or have my friends do something so that my X receives the message instead?

Yes, you need to turn off iMessage somehow. I think it's a setting on iCloud or whatever - look for it on their website.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

z06ck posted:

Anybody in here ever port from Google voice after activation? I set it up and unlocked my google voice number and then went to the verizon site and went to the "change my number" setting and got to the confirmation and it told me the relevant information to start using the number. I know that porting can take a while, does it only begin on Mondays? Anything special I should know, like will I need a new SIM?
I did it awhile ago, and it went like any other port. It may have taken a day or something, but I don't remember.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, you need to turn off iMessage somehow. I think it's a setting on iCloud or whatever - look for it on their website.

iPhone -> Settings -> Messages -> iMessage OFF

Alternatively, pick your poison from here http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00053450/62995

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I want to use my wife's upgrade on my line. We have a family plan. Has anyone that has done the Comcast promotion been able to do that?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

My Droid Razr (xt912, not even Maxx) fell and screen shattered. I had to fall back to an old Droid Incredible. I think I can rough it till April, but are there any cheap JB phones for Verizon that I could look up on eBay or whatever?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Butts posted:

My Droid Razr (xt912, not even Maxx) fell and screen shattered. I had to fall back to an old Droid Incredible. I think I can rough it till April, but are there any cheap JB phones for Verizon that I could look up on eBay or whatever?

The RAZR M is a good choice and can be found pretty cheap. It's a solid device with pretty great battery life.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

If I'm on a shared plan with two other people, am I allowed to split off my line onto its own plan? Do I have to wait for the contract to end?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

If I'm on a shared plan with two other people, am I allowed to split off my line onto its own plan? Do I have to wait for the contract to end?
Nope. You can do an Assumption of Liability at any time (unless you're on the new Edge program) if permission has been granted and documented on the account by an account owner or manager. You will assume liability for whatever is left of the contract.

If you are starting a new account you will undergo a credit check and may require a security deposit.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

z06ck posted:

I know wireless-to-wireless usually take 72 hours max. Landline-to-wireless can take up to 10 business days but it is usually done in 2. Unlike Garfield the port process has no opinion on Mondays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

I know wireless-to-wireless usually take 72 hours max. Landline-to-wireless can take up to 10 business days but it is usually done in 2. Unlike Garfield the port process has no opinion on Mondays.

• Locked thread