Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

PMDG doesn't test their add-ons with P3D.

Why on earth not? P3D is FS11, isn't it? That's like writing code in 2013 for Win XP and not bothering to test compatibility for Win7 or Win 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Hadlock posted:

Why on earth not? P3D is FS11, isn't it? That's like writing code in 2013 for Win XP and not bothering to test compatibility for Win7 or Win 8

No, P3D is, at best, FSX SP3.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
X-Plane is Linux

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

INTJ Mastermind posted:

FML I bought DCS FC3 and A10C during the 30% off DCS sale back in July. I still don't have a computer fast enough to run them yet though. Could I use that purchase to activate the Steam versions? And I heard that FC3 owners are going to get the DCS upgraded versions of the A10A, Su-25, Su-27, F-15C, and Mig 29 for free, is that still correct?

Yes, FC3 get all the upgrades free. However, your FC3 will not port to Steam.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yes, FC3 get all the upgrades free. However, your FC3 will not port to Steam.
Stupid question, but how does one enter a steam key into an already installed DCS world suite to recognize it?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Stupid question, but how does one enter a steam key into an already installed DCS world suite to recognize it?

Find, download, and install the module that you have the steam key for on top of your DCS install. Launch DCS world, open up multiplayer. It should prompt you for the CD key from there. To find your CD key, it's in the far right list of options on the library page of the module in question.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mederlock posted:

Find, download, and install the module that you have the steam key for on top of your DCS install. Launch DCS world, open up multiplayer. It should prompt you for the CD key from there. To find your CD key, it's in the far right list of options on the library page of the module in question.

Yeah, just bought Huey, looking for the CD-key on Steam and there don't appear to be any.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Hav posted:

Yeah, just bought Huey, looking for the CD-key on Steam and there don't appear to be any.

Click on "DCS World" in your library, on the right is a list of links like Community Hub, Forums, Related Groups, etc. Click on CD Key.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Right click the game in your library, there should be an option to view the cd key.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You can only view the CD Key if you are downloading it or have it downloaded. It's a weird quirk of Steam.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I just found out how to get your CD Key from Steam without ever having to install the game.

Open your Library. Set your view to Game Details. Select DCS World on the left hand list and then all the way to the right you'll see CD Key under the Links list on the right.

Voila. All the DCSW keys you got via Steam.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I was surprised, upon finding this thread, that Aces High isn't mentioned in the op. I always really liked that one. Never liked it enough to pay the $20, though, so I'd just make a new trial account every time I moved to a new place.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I tried it. I found it ok but just ok. Once my trial ran out I uninstalled it. If a bunch of goons played it on a regular basis I'd join in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

EvilJoven posted:

I just found out how to get your CD Key from Steam without ever having to install the game.

Open your Library. Set your view to Game Details. Select DCS World on the left hand list and then all the way to the right you'll see CD Key under the Links list on the right.

Voila. All the DCSW keys you got via Steam.

I tried that too but get a "CANNOT CONNECT WITH SERVER" error :saddowns:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Bought DCS huey and SU25 for $15 on steam, and my one attempt to load a tutorial level ended up in a frozen loading screen and a game that kept opening itself up and eventually freezing when i closed it. This game is going to be fun, isnt it? :allears:

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Bought DCS huey and SU25 for $15 on steam, and my one attempt to load a tutorial level ended up in a frozen loading screen and a game that kept opening itself up and eventually freezing when i closed it. This game is going to be fun, isnt it? :allears:

I think you have to download & install the tutorials first, on the tutorial page there should be an install button. Just a guess but maybe its bugging out because it can't find the files to play, or I just don't know what I'm talking about.

Oh and Kaspersky antivirus used to crash my game often so switched back to Norton.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

I tried that too but get a "CANNOT CONNECT WITH SERVER" error :saddowns:

I saw the instructions in the other thread, but I'm also seeing the 'failed to contact key server'.

Fake edit;

wagmatt posted:

The sale of A-10C far exceeded expecations and Steam ran out of keys. New keys are being sent today.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/223750/discussions/0/864978110152412699/#c864978110152967758

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks dude

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
...and in Europe it's 11.99 euro. 31% higher in my country's currency. Still pretty cheap though. I can't decide between the P-51 or the Huey. I enjoyed BS2, haven't even started A-10 and I enjoy World War 2 planes.. How much "better" is the P-51 than playing IL2? A whole other league?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Welp they apparently fixed the DCS: Huey price so now it's -10% instead of -80%. Guess that solves my dilemma of whether or not to pick it up for $10.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Fuuuuuuck I should have bought it earlier. Oh well :(

Edit: Just read a steam discussion where Wags said he's contacting Valve about it, guess it shouldn't have been changed to only 10% off.

Mike-o fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 10, 2013

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Black Shark 2 on Steam is the full version that doesn't require BS1, right? I know it should say if it requires something else but I don't know if I trust it... :ohdear:

deck
Jul 13, 2006

Elukka posted:

Black Shark 2 on Steam is the full version that doesn't require BS1, right? I know it should say if it requires something else but I don't know if I trust it... :ohdear:

Yes, it's the full version. The upgrade license for BS2 isn't available or usable on Steam, and may never be. They obviously need to just reissue new full-product keys to everyone that owns the BS2 upgrade but... It's Eagle Dynamics. (aka Don't Hold Your Breath) If they really think they're "losing money" by doing that, they need to stop smoking whatever crack addicts in Russia smoke to get high. It's probably just crack I guess.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Huey is back to 80% off!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

deck posted:

Yes, it's the full version. The upgrade license for BS2 isn't available or usable on Steam, and may never be. They obviously need to just reissue new full-product keys to everyone that owns the BS2 upgrade but... It's Eagle Dynamics. (aka Don't Hold Your Breath) If they really think they're "losing money" by doing that, they need to stop smoking whatever crack addicts in Russia smoke to get high. It's probably just crack I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desomorphine - 'Krokodil'

"Since the home-made mix is routinely injected immediately with little or no further purification, "krokodil" has become notorious for producing severe tissue damage, phlebitis and gangrene, sometimes requiring limb amputation in long-term users."

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desomorphine - 'Krokodil'

"Since the home-made mix is routinely injected immediately with little or no further purification, "krokodil" has become notorious for producing severe tissue damage, phlebitis and gangrene, sometimes requiring limb amputation in long-term users."

I had a reply typed out talking about Krokodil, but then remembering how awful the pictures are of people's flesh literally falling off and bare bone exposed....Saw a video of a guy where all of the muscle on his calf had fallen off and the foot was dead. They took a little band saw and just cut his leg bone near the knee and the foot fell into a trash can. :barf:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

ED annoy the piss out of me sometimes. Decided to re-download the KA-50 module (upgrade) and the installer is bitching at me about not having BS1 installed and activated when I bloody well do. :argh: And gently caress StarForce as well.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I think its thoroughly stupid why they dont let you just enter the CD key directly on the DCS:World title screen and start the download from there.

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll
Okay, I'm not doing too badly with DCS:Huey (still can't land worth a drat) but after investing a ton of time in Black Shark the Huey is relatively easy to fly. I only have one question: How the hell can I aim the side guns? I can fire them, and Lcntrl+C isn't letting me move em. Also, should I turn all the special options for trimming off or on in the options menu?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

Okay, I'm not doing too badly with DCS:Huey (still can't land worth a drat) but after investing a ton of time in Black Shark the Huey is relatively easy to fly. I only have one question: How the hell can I aim the side guns? I can fire them, and Lcntrl+C isn't letting me move em. Also, should I turn all the special options for trimming off or on in the options menu?

Shift to the copilot's seat and look through the sight, not sure about the keybindings for that though.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello flight sim thread., need your expertise:

If I were to be teaching a combat flight school, what, in y'alls opinion, are the top 5 most important things I should cover, and as a bonus, how best would I go about teaching your suggestions?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

The Bananana posted:

If I were to be teaching a combat flight school, what, in y'alls opinion, are the top 5 most important things I should cover, and as a bonus, how best would I go about teaching your suggestions?

I'm curious, is this a real-life flight school like Air Combat USA, or are we talking about teaching people to fly combat flight simulators? What level of experience would your students have? It's completely different teaching people who've never flown before vs. those with civilian flight experience vs. experienced combat pilots looking for a "Top Gun" level of training.

Edit: From your post-history you're posting a lot in the Arma 3 thread. Are you trying to teach goons to fly better CAS in Arma?

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 10, 2013

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

The Bananana posted:

Assuming we're talking simulated old-fashioned (not 'press a button as soon as you're within 180km')...

#1 - #4 The Thatch Weave.
#5 How not to get shot at (while performing the thatch weave).

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Wow, quick replies. Ok.

Game is arma 3

Helos

Not goons

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
1) Push stick forward, houses get bigger.
2) Pull stick back, houses get smaller
3) Pull stick back all the way and houses get bigger again and start spinning.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

Assuming we're talking simulated old-fashioned (not 'press a button as soon as you're within 180km')...

#1 - #4 The Thatch Weave.
#5 How not to get shot at (while performing the thatch weave).

Thatch weave is also very useful in Sid Meier's Ace Patrol. Especially with rookie pilots who need half the map to turn around.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Energy management. That applies to civil aircraft as well.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Jonny Nox posted:

Thatch weave is also very useful in Sid Meier's Ace Patrol. Especially with rookie pilots who need half the map to turn around.

Ace Patrol is fun as poo poo, too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Bananana posted:

Wow, quick replies. Ok.

Game is arma 3

Helos

Not goons

If you're doing combat helicopter stuff in ArmA I would suggest this, in order

1. landing without breaking poo poo
2. hiding behind terrain
3. not crashing into trees
4. flares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

...and in Europe it's 11.99 euro. 31% higher in my country's currency. Still pretty cheap though. I can't decide between the P-51 or the Huey. I enjoyed BS2, haven't even started A-10 and I enjoy World War 2 planes.. How much "better" is the P-51 than playing IL2? A whole other league?

You can't really compare the two. The DCS module is proper study sim material, where as the P-51 in IL-2 isn't and even fails to model somethings like mixture management. The DCS module is very accurate, though some of the handling physics (I'm told by the local P-51 jock) are a bit offish by his estimation.

I've been meaning to get out some SimReviews on my lame Youtube channel, but I won't get it out in time for the sale, sadly.