Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Well, now I'm very confused. So, I've been putting overflow experience on mechs and I haven't had to pay for the mech ranks, so, considering all the conflicting stuff about that, at this point I'll just say :iiam:

Though, all of your extra experience that you may have accrued prior to the patch has been converted to universal experience that you can freely apply to whatever mech you want, so try it for yourself and see if it makes you pay for the ranks after or not!

Also, I'm really glad I figured out a set up on my Brawler that I can be happy with. The old method I was trying was simply not working for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Okay this is really weird. Saw the ascension patch was finally up, tried to launch again. Crashed instantly as per my last post. So I followed saturnine's advice and just reinstalled it and... it still crashes instantly upon launching.

What else can I do?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Uninstall it, then do a manual check to make sure you've deleted all the files left behind. Then reinstall.

There is probably some files it leaves behind on a normal uninstall that weren't overwritten when you reinstalled.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Okay, this time I've straight up deleted the Hawken folder that contains everything it installs, and redownloaded the launcher straight from the hawken site. Still didn't work.

But I did find the solution, from the official forums. I'll post it here for anyone else comign up with this problem.

Head to C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\My Games\Hawken\HawkenGame\ and delete the config folder, run the launcher and it should fetch a fresh folder and then you're good to go.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

something posted:

Okay, this time I've straight up deleted the Hawken folder that contains everything it installs, and redownloaded the launcher straight from the hawken site. Still didn't work.

But I did find the solution, from the official forums. I'll post it here for anyone else comign up with this problem.

Head to C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\My Games\Hawken\HawkenGame\ and delete the config folder, run the launcher and it should fetch a fresh folder and then you're good to go.

This is pretty much what I meant when I said to check for files it didn't delete. There's usually something like that tucked away from the main folder that for whatever reason they don't set their uninstaller to delete. :downs: Glad you found the issue.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Redox Tech is so ridiculously good.

I just went 19-1-38 in an MA game by teaming up with a decent Brawler player.

Toss a shield on him, EMP whoever doesn't run like hell.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
Been playing since the new launch with the matchmaker instead of the server browser. I've won every game I've joined so far and most of them were really close games. Much more enjoyable than getting steam rolled using the server browser in the Community Test.

They must have wiped stats or something at some point because I haven't played in months but I HAVE played before. But all my stats are only from since the patch released.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I played Siege as Tech, went 12-2-10. We were winning by 2000 points and then everyone on my team decided it would be a great idea to switch to Rocketeer/Reaper and just uselessly snipe/launch rockets all day on Last Eco instead of securing the AA. We lost :shepicide:

Liquid, beg the developers to remove sniping mechs and maybe axe siege mode from C classess. Sniping's only good for gimping your team and siege mode is just asking to get farmed.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 12, 2013

guppiehaus
Sep 13, 2010
I played this game for the first time a couple months back and thought it was mediocre. This new patch is really great and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I really like how the progression and unlocks are now. Also, it's a good sign when even with a CR-T Recruit I can still do well with nothing equipped. Means I don't have to face a bunch of mechs that have wads of bills stuffed in between their legs.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pity more people aren't talking about the game. As others have said, this patch was the one that made it ready for prime-time. It runs smoother, looks better, is more accessible, etc etc.

I also had hoarded so many credits through promo code giveaways that, assuming that I unlock a couple of the first-tier ones through regular gameplay (I already have one, just need a couple more pilot levels) I can literally buy EVERY SINGLE MECH.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

New patch has some nice points to it. I haven't gotten to play much due to work (the servers being down for a day and a half meant I couldn't play on my days off) but I like that the game runs smoother now and I think the UI is a bit more intuitive for new players. Matchmaking seems to at least try now, though I guess it can't do much about retards. I don't like that I can't play borderless window anymore because everytime I turn on borderless window it forces the resolution way down and changing it back to 1920x1080 just takes a 1440 window and puts it in the upper left corner. Also, the fact that you're forced to play the tutorial before you can even change settings was a bit jarring. So I played that in windowed mode. Took me back to the days of my childhood, playing Mechwarrior in ancient resolutions.

Speaking of the tutorial, it does a pretty decent job for most stuff, but it DESPERATELY needs a section about marking enemies using Q and requesting help with Z. Being able to see the enemy on the map because your teammates marked them is extremely helpful (if you get teammates that look at the map) and I don't think most of the droolers know you can do that.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Played the new patch a bit last night, some thoughts

- Why did it force me to redo the tutorial?
- The garage could use some descriptions instead of the small icons.
- Did they change how quickly you can zoom in with the sharpshooter/reaper? It felt like it was delayed by more then a half second since the last version.
- Same goes for turning. My Reaper seemed to turn slower, but then again I don't think I put many mobility points into it. Does that affect it?
- Mixed feelings on the new hud. The abilities and heath/fuel bar is much easier to read but the crosshairs/heatbar thing should be bigger imo. Showing which internals are active at any time is a nice touch. I also like that it changes the crosshairs based on what secondary weapon your useing (i.e. the Raider's grenade/shotgun thing)
- Mech killcam is nice
- Does the order in which you load out the usable items effect which buttons (1,2,3) they show up on?
- The netcode seemed a bit laggier? It seemed like I was having to lead my shots more though it could have just been a bad server.
- The hit notification (both visual cue on the crosshairs and the sound) should be more pronounced.
- Holy gently caress the health regen/speed up on kill internals make the Raider a loving beast. Went something ridiculous like 25-5 on a TDM match

I still don't get how the new mech unlock system works though. I had most of them before the patch (and still have them), but there was some gimmick where max leveing a mech lead to a free new one or something?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

fromoutofnowhere posted:

People losing their poo poo over a free to play game is just hilarious.

I've seen less people losing their poo poo over this f2p game than others (namely LoL).

I'm so ready to finish my classes today and go shred some people with my Bruiser. Complete with obnoxious candy cane paint job.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Kuvo posted:

Played the new patch a bit last night, some thoughts

- Why did it force me to redo the tutorial?
- The garage could use some descriptions instead of the small icons.
- Did they change how quickly you can zoom in with the sharpshooter/reaper? It felt like it was delayed by more then a half second since the last version.
- Same goes for turning. My Reaper seemed to turn slower, but then again I don't think I put many mobility points into it. Does that affect it?
- Mixed feelings on the new hud. The abilities and heath/fuel bar is much easier to read but the crosshairs/heatbar thing should be bigger imo. Showing which internals are active at any time is a nice touch. I also like that it changes the crosshairs based on what secondary weapon your useing (i.e. the Raider's grenade/shotgun thing)
- Mech killcam is nice
- Does the order in which you load out the usable items effect which buttons (1,2,3) they show up on?
- The netcode seemed a bit laggier? It seemed like I was having to lead my shots more though it could have just been a bad server.
- The hit notification (both visual cue on the crosshairs and the sound) should be more pronounced.
- Holy gently caress the health regen/speed up on kill internals make the Raider a loving beast. Went something ridiculous like 25-5 on a TDM match

I still don't get how the new mech unlock system works though. I had most of them before the patch (and still have them), but there was some gimmick where max leveing a mech lead to a free new one or something?

- For people who've played before, redoing the tutorial is a bit annoying, but I am optimistic that forcing people to do the tutorial like this will lead to less new players having completely no idea how to play - standing still trying to snipe people with the AR and stuff like that.
- Turning shouldn't be affected by tuning, and I doubt they lowered the turn speed. Though mechs like the Raider, Scout and Infiltrator do get faster turn speed to go along with the speed boost when their ability is activated.
- Agreed on hit notifications.
- Health regen makes everything a beast, those internals are so drat powerful.

Mech unlocks: Yeah, if you max rank certain mechs you get a free mech in that line, provided the mech being maxed out isn't at the end of the line. The OP has the chart that describes the order, I think. At certain early pilot levels you also unlock the mechs at the beginning of the progression cycles.

A separate reminder: If you had earned any experience past max level in the previous build, all that extra experience has been converted into overflow experience for free for the new build, so you can freely apply that experience to any mech you want leveled up now.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I brought four mechs with me across the patch. After playing a few rounds last night I earned enough XP to level up a mech, and now I have level-one copies of those four clogging up my garage, along with a C-class that I have yet to do much with. Is there any way to sell these useless duplicates, or at least delete them, so I don't accidentally launch into the final minutes of a missile assault game in my fresh-out-of-the-box technician instead of the finely turned murder machine I wanted? That happened, it sucked.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Chard posted:

I brought four mechs with me across the patch. After playing a few rounds last night I earned enough XP to level up a mech, and now I have level-one copies of those four clogging up my garage, along with a C-class that I have yet to do much with. Is there any way to sell these useless duplicates, or at least delete them, so I don't accidentally launch into the final minutes of a missile assault game in my fresh-out-of-the-box technician instead of the finely turned murder machine I wanted? That happened, it sucked.

There is as yet no way to get rid of extra mechs. You can reorder them though - you can drag and drop the image of the mechs so the ones you prefer are up front. They are looking into a system to get rid of your extra mechs, but there's nothing solid on that front as of yet, unless LiquidFusion wants to shed any light on the subject.

LiquidFusion
Feb 11, 2004
Ezra < Me < Jake

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

unless LiquidFusion wants to shed any light on the subject.

NOPE! There are plenty of good ideas floating around the office though.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is there any advantage to be gained in leveling up the duplicate mechs? Like can I get XP boosts for achievements on the new one? I really doubt it but figure it's worth asking.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Camo patterns don't work/show up on the Elite parts, do they?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Mech unlocks: Yeah, if you max rank certain mechs you get a free mech in that line, provided the mech being maxed out isn't at the end of the line. The OP has the chart that describes the order, I think. At certain early pilot levels you also unlock the mechs at the beginning of the progression cycles.

My rough estimate is that it'll take about 3-4 hours of actual gameplay time to hit Level 7, when you get the last of the 'freebie' mechs, the Technician.

Edit: And you can just about halve that time, too - you get 400MC after playing for your first hour. You can buy a 3-day XP or HC doubler for that.

That's really not too bad. Play for a couple of days, get six mechs, plus probably a bunch of money to spend on another higher-tier one or various upgrades/modules.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 12, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

The Joe Man posted:

Camo patterns don't work/show up on the Elite parts, do they?

Not as far as I can tell. At least the CRT gets a new model though. Every other mech just gets recoloured parts ATM.

Edit: Borderless window is only displaying up to 1440x900 for me, which is annoying.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 12, 2013

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I agree that being forced through the tutorial before being able to adjust something like resolution was frustrating, but I joined the tutorial and immediately quit. Problem solved!

It also took me several tries to get borderless window working in the resolution I wanted. After a while it just started doing what I told it.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

Pseudophile posted:

I agree that being forced through the tutorial before being able to adjust something like resolution was frustrating, but I joined the tutorial and immediately quit. Problem solved!

It also took me several tries to get borderless window working in the resolution I wanted. After a while it just started doing what I told it.

How did you deal with the problem of it resizing the window and cutting off the button to accept graphical changes? I just tried to set it to Bordless Window at 1920 x 1080 and instead it's set to 1024 x 768 and the bottom right half of the graphical options are outside the actual window and I can't get at them.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

thatinfernalpigeon posted:

How did you deal with the problem of it resizing the window and cutting off the button to accept graphical changes? I just tried to set it to Bordless Window at 1920 x 1080 and instead it's set to 1024 x 768 and the bottom right half of the graphical options are outside the actual window and I can't get at them.

I didn't. I set it for that exact resolution while it was in fullscreen and hit apply. Took a few tries but it eventually did as I asked.

guppiehaus
Sep 13, 2010
God drat the Berserker mech owns balls. I consistently go on Overkill sprees because people can't handle flanking manuevers and I don't really think a lot of people know how to use their items? I literally had two guys in a match just standing still shooting at my mirror image while I strafed them from behind a wall with nades and the Tow cannon. Also, I don't really see the advantage of taking the Assault Rifle over the SMG since they both do the same damage? The accuracy difference is pretty minor imo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

guppiehaus posted:

God drat the Berserker mech owns balls. I consistently go on Overkill sprees because people can't handle flanking manuevers and I don't really think a lot of people know how to use their items? I literally had two guys in a match just standing still shooting at my mirror image while I strafed them from behind a wall with nades and the Tow cannon. Also, I don't really see the advantage of taking the Assault Rifle over the SMG since they both do the same damage? The accuracy difference is pretty minor imo.

Assault rifle has longer range as well.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
After trying this again for an hour or so, I can safely say I'm never touching it again. It is just horribly balanced. A mechs are even further overpowered to the point of ridiculousness, you HAVE to be an A mech to stand a chance at getting any kills now. It also runs way slower for me, even on low, and the UI changes are just godawful.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

something posted:

After trying this again for an hour or so, I can safely say I'm never touching it again. It is just horribly balanced. A mechs are even further overpowered to the point of ridiculousness, you HAVE to be an A mech to stand a chance at getting any kills now. It also runs way slower for me, even on low, and the UI changes are just godawful.

I think you may have fallen through a portal to Bizarro World, because that's pretty much the direct opposite of what everyone has observed. The UI especially, which is so much easier to read and more coherent now.

I'm also running it at 60fps solid at Ultra detail with full PhysX stuff turned on, which was a total no-go previously.

GorgeOnMySyphilis
Mar 3, 2012

So the balance is pretty solid between the different classes? I'm looking at getting into this and want to play the light mechs without being handicapped.

Also, obvious question which has probably been asked before, but how does the game-play of Hawken compare to MWO?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

GorgeOnMySyphilis posted:

So the balance is pretty solid between the different classes? I'm looking at getting into this and want to play the light mechs without being handicapped.

Also, obvious question which has probably been asked before, but how does the game-play of Hawken compare to MWO?

Gameplay is more like a regular FPS game than a true mech game. Which isn't a bad thing. Light mechs are great. Don't be the guy who brings a sniper mech (or a turret mech) to a TDM because you're likely just going to hold your team back. They're for specialized situations. Beyond that, go nuts.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Zaodai posted:

Gameplay is more like a regular FPS game than a true mech game. Which isn't a bad thing. Light mechs are great. Don't be the guy who brings a sniper mech (or a turret mech) to a TDM because you're likely just going to hold your team back. They're for specialized situations. Beyond that, go nuts.

This is wrong because my SS rules case closed.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I think this update would be less confusing if I didn't have more credits that I knew what to do with.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zaodai posted:

Gameplay is more like a regular FPS game than a true mech game. Which isn't a bad thing. Light mechs are great.

True. But this shouldn't be mistaken for 'Hawken is a regular FPS'. It's closer to one than Mechwarrior Online, but it's still a million miles from playing like Call of Duty. Every mech can take a pounding, and there's a lot of inertia to movement. You take a little while to hit your top movement speed, and can jet around the map pretty quickly. Every mech also has a maximum turning speed, so if someone comes at you from the flank, they really do have a strong positional advantage and you can't just whip round and headshot them in a picosecond.

Oh yeah, there's no locational damage either, other than front/back armor on transformed tank-mechs. It might use standard FPS controls for the most part, but I think the closest points of real gameplay reference are Phantom Crash and Armored Core.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Really like this update. I kinda fell out of love for the game about 3 months ago because of team stacking and how everybody was playing but its much better now. Game runs 2x better and I have everything on ultra just fine now. Love the new map and clearer unlock progress/Ui and sharing XP from Maxed out mechs.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

something posted:

I don't know who you've been playing with, but you can't let a few A-class tryhards spoil your fun. Yes, A-classes are fast as hell, they're also loving fragile. The biggest mistake people make against A-classes is to try to beat them at their own game; mobility is all they have going for them, press the offensive, get in their faces! Play a few games as an Assault or a *Brawler and see if that doesn't change your mind. It's the anti-A Class mech.

*A good Brawler is nigh-unstoppable.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 13, 2013

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
I've been having quite a bit of fun with the new patch. Really wish multiplayer games would finally start to learn from TF2 though and have singular/staged objective game modes that encourage team work even in pubs.

I'm in as SaucyLoggins if you want to add me.

LiquidFusion
Feb 11, 2004
Ezra < Me < Jake

sitchelin posted:

I don't know who you've been playing with, but you can't let a few A-class tryhards spoil your fun. Yes, A-classes are fast as hell, they're also loving fragile. The biggest mistake people make against A-classes is to try to beat them at their own game; mobility is all they have going for them, press the offensive, get in their faces! Play a few games as an Assault or a *Brawler and see if that doesn't change your mind. It's the anti-A Class mech.

*A good Brawler is nigh-unstoppable.

All great advice, and the Brawler isn't even the best Mech C. They are probably all (except for the grenadier) a bit over powered right now. The competitive side of the community just won't get it out of their minds that Mech As are the best.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I honestly think the Raider is the best mech in 1v1 situations. You can spec it to have almost as much HP as a Class C while its ability lets it move like a Class A. Combine this with its high damage grenade/shotgun secondary and you have a downright scary mech.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Totally had forgotten about this game.

Installed and played a match. I like the movement and shootiness. It definitely feels like a shooter with robots vs a robot shooter :) Score 700+ on my first game, more than doubling the person below me. Are the bullet projectile guns hitscan in this? Are the sniper rifles hitscan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The Technician is so freaking overpowered I feel guilty playing it. Got it to max rank last night finally, was at 4 after the patch. By the end of the evening I was finishing TDM rounds with double-digit kills and zero deaths, and I'm not really that good at FPS games. The HP drain ability combined with redox, a level 3 turret, and up-armor tuning is just brutal, you can go toe-to-toe with B- or even C-class mechs and come out on top easily. The armor fusor item is also completely broken since assists are common if you're healing your team. Constant health regen.

• Locked thread