Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Arzachel posted:

Choice quotes:

Haha I guess now we know why we got terrorist Anders, insane templars, and every mage being a blood mage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Truly, the best thing about PST was the XTREME characters.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Besides the obvious XTREME jokes, I think its kind of fitting that two of their favorite notable characters (Ignus and Fall) are also the most underdeveloped and (in my opinion) boring companions of the bunch.

Hell, most of FFG's conversations are used to develop OTHER characters!

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 12, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Generic American posted:

Unless it has been stated specifically, the assumption is that, with Cassandra and Varric both being in your party, the game takes place ~10 years after the events of Origins, plus or minus a bit of spare change. DA2 has come and gone, and the timeline for the events in Kirkwall set the minimum of pretty much a decade passing. Assuming they don't add a few years on top of that, of course.

Inquisition takes place X years after DA2. The events of DA2 lead to the Inquisition cutting its ties to the Chantry, outside of following the same religion.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Stroth posted:

You forgot SWTOR. So... too late?

TOR is pretty rad now I feel, but even that aside that studio was created specifically to make the MMO and uses the Bioware name to get sales. Basically it isn't really associated with the "real" Bioware.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I seem to remember her taking her demon baby into the fade, and the game concerns the whole invasion from the fade thing, so I'd say it might get mentioned at one point. Maybe nothing huge but still.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Spaceking posted:

I seem to remember her taking her demon baby into the fade, and the game concerns the whole invasion from the fade thing, so I'd say it might get mentioned at one point. Maybe nothing huge but still.

Assuming you're talking about Morrigan, she took it into an eluvian, but I don't think it's ever actually been confirmed where the eluvians go to. Seeing as it's an elvish relic, I'd say it's more likely to lead to whether the elvish pantheon got trapped on something.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Haha I guess now we know why we got terrorist Anders, insane templars, and every mage being a blood mage

I've heard that DAII was specifically designed to take some of the sympathy from the mages. When they decided that they'd focus on conflict between them and templars, it was obvious that the templars would automatically come off worse, so they had to make the mages look bad to compensate and show that they templars had a valid argument.

Unfortunately, they did it in the most hamfisted way possible (i.e. hiding away all actual circle mages while lumping in a parade of crazy apostate as a "faction" and the templars commit multiple crimes and taking over the city in the process). Instead of adding nuance to a potentially complex issue, they made both sides look insane while removing the pre-existing gray areas. I guess they couldn't figure out how to force everything to come to the same catastrophic conclusion if any reasonable people (including the players, apparently) had actual influence. It still burns me a little that two decent characters had to be dragged through the mud to become a ranting terrorist for something so ridiculous.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 12, 2013

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Since people were talking about what choices they made, and forgetting about their choices, there are a few save game generators out there. I don't know of one for DA2, but here is one for Origin: http://social.bioware.com/project/4242/#files

I didn't know burning, leaving Cailian for the wolves, or the darkspawn was a choice that would carry over or matter?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Leelee posted:

Since people were talking about what choices they made, and forgetting about their choices, there are a few save game generators out there. I don't know of one for DA2, but here is one for Origin: http://social.bioware.com/project/4242/#files

I didn't know burning, leaving Cailian for the wolves, or the darkspawn was a choice that would carry over or matter?

It is a choice that carries over. But I'm fairly sure that it doesn't effect anything in DAII.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Leelee posted:

Oh, awesome, I was hoping either 1) Gibbed did something like this or 2) the Keep is ultimately going to be a cross-platform app that basically does this. My sister is as obsessed with BioWare games as you can be while still remaining in control of your critical faculties so I played both games with all the DLC on our Xbox--until the DLC refused to work for me and I had to load up my .xbsav file in Gibbed's program and change it to a .pcsav file, which was a cinch. I'm hoping the Keep is basically that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

gently caress I just realized my original DA:O save is on a computer that no longer works. Thank you, gibbed.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Geostomp posted:

I've heard that DAII was specifically designed to take some of the sympathy from the mages. When they decided that they'd focus on conflict between them and templars, it was obvious that the templars would automatically come off worse, so they had to make the mages look bad to compensate and show that they templars had a valid argument.

Unfortunately, they did it in the most hamfisted way possible (i.e. hiding away all actual circle mages while lumping in a parade of crazy apostate as a "faction" and the templars commit multiple crimes and taking over the city in the process). Instead of adding nuance to a potentially complex issue, they made both sides look insane while removing the pre-existing gray areas. I guess they couldn't figure out how to force everything to come to the same catastrophic conclusion if any reasonable people (including the players, apparently) had actual influence. It still burns me a little that two decent characters had to be dragged through the mud to become a ranting terrorist for something so ridiculous.

I know, it's kinda damning that you have to make the templar leader a lyrium addled loon in order to make the mages seem remotely sympathetic. I don't expect DA3 to be any different, in fact I expect inquisition to be about you uncovering some deep secret about the chantry and invariably freeing all mages.

Anyone else wish they had followed up on the architect/engineer storyline in Awakening? That was the only point in the series where I didn't know how the story would go. Shame they dropped it for Gaider/Bioware's thinly veiled metaphor for social oppression.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Geostomp posted:

DAO does a fine job on its own of making the imprisonment of every mage seem perfectly justified.

Jowan, Connor, Tuvok, half the Circle... the game's a sequence of mage-instigated catastrophes.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Oh, awesome, I was hoping either 1) Gibbed did something like this or 2) the Keep is ultimately going to be a cross-platform app that basically does this. My sister is as obsessed with BioWare games as you can be while still remaining in control of your critical faculties so I played both games with all the DLC on our Xbox--until the DLC refused to work for me and I had to load up my .xbsav file in Gibbed's program and change it to a .pcsav file, which was a cinch. I'm hoping the Keep is basically that.

Inquisition isnt going to import saves, DAKeep is how youre going to do it. And with they way they handled in Awakening and 2, its for the best. that poo poo never worked.

Now they can go "We are using these decisions, use the site to set what you want and we can guarantee they will work" probably including a few extras so people dont know what to expect.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

sassassin posted:

DAO does a fine job on its own of making the imprisonment of every mage seem perfectly justified.

Jowan, Connor, Tuvok, half the Circle... the game's a sequence of mage-instigated catastrophes.

The only thing Jowan did was poison the Arl, and that could have been done by just about anyone. It just so happened that him being a Mage made it easy. Connor was the result of lack of training rather than anything deliberate. The Circle was the result of a rogue element from within - which is absurd to lay the blame on all mages. That would be like saying the entire Army is to blame for some murders during war time.

All of those involved mages, but none of them say that mages NEEDED to be treated less than human.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

sassassin posted:

Conner and Uldred are good arguments for why there needs to be a central school where young mages can at the very least be taught how to defend against demons and why mages need to be watched.
But it's no argument for inhumane treatment. Besides the moral aspects, it's just stupid: "Hey, let's give the guy who can set our pants on fire with his mind a wedgie." Yeah, there's no way that can go wrong.

As for Jowan. You don't have to be a mage to be an idiot.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Raygereio posted:

Well yeah but judging by DA2 it does help you along.

Or I guess to be more accurate "living in the Dragon Age setting helps you along."

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Does anybody know if a non-camera version of the PAX prime footage is up anywhere?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Raygereio posted:

Conner and Uldred are good arguments for why there needs to be a central school where young mages can at the very least be taught how to defend against demons and why mages need to be watched.
But it's no argument for inhumane treatment. Besides the moral aspects, it's just stupid: "Hey, let's give the guy who can set our pants on fire with his mind a wedgie." Yeah, there's no way that can go wrong.

I agree, it'd be safer to execute them all at birth.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Doh004 posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

The only part of DA2 I'm looking forward to is the last DLC mission. Hawk is a boring character that only plays best as a mage as there is no other mage character in the game that can be spec'd for best healing besides Hawk. It's been awhile, but I doubt that's changed.

I'm pretty well looking forward to DA3 and being able to build my own character again and perhaps even seeing my favorite Dwarf warrior play-through show up again from DAO. I hope Hawk is never brought up again.

I still would rather play through DA2 than check some boxes instead.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Isizzlehorn posted:

The only part of DA2 I'm looking forward to is the last DLC mission. Hawk is a boring character that only plays best as a mage as there is no other mage character in the game that can be spec'd for best healing besides Hawk. It's been awhile, but I doubt that's changed.

I'm pretty well looking forward to DA3 and being able to build my own character again and perhaps even seeing my favorite Dwarf warrior play-through show up again from DAO. I hope Hawk is never brought up again.

I don't think there's anything saying you *can't* import your PC, Xbox 360, or PS3 saves, but the Dragon Age Keep thing is an option, especially for those who are moving on to a next-gen system.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Isizzlehorn posted:

I think his outrage was in reference to the "le" you dropped in your post and not the fact that you dread playing through DA2.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

CottonWolf posted:

Is DA2 the only truly party based ARPG? You don't have direct control of your pawns in Dragon's Dogma, certainly. And I can't think of any others...

The Game of Thrones RPG which despite the poor reception I've actually found to be fun. The old graphics don't bother me at all and the game is quite enjoyable to actually play. It's also much much better than DA:2 so I don't know how Game of Thrones got poo poo on and DA:2 got so many passes seeing as it was completely unplayable for me (and I LOVED DA:O/awakenings even though awakenings dumbed things down).

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Or I guess to be more accurate "living in the Dragon Age setting helps you along."

Officially, it's living within a hundred miles of Kirkwall that helps you along.

I kind of like that they slipped in an official explanation for "Why are all of these people crazy goddamn idiots?" Shows that someone on the team had some self awareness.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Mosaic Perception posted:

The Game of Thrones RPG which despite the poor reception I've actually found to be fun.

In terms of gameplay I found Game of Thrones to be more of a slog because ability usage rate is controlled by a stamina bar that doesn't really self-fill, so it gets into a pattern of using a couple powers then activating the regeneration mode where your character just stands in place doing nothing. And you run solo for most of it so there's not another party member to switch to. Its condition setup + combo mechanic is less satisfying than DA2 since there's not as much benefit over using standard abilities. It took me over a year to complete the game: the start was excruciatingly slow and I gave up multiple times, until I finally got to the first major reveal about 1/4 of the way through and pressed on to finish over the next week on the strength of the plot.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 685 days!)

Mosaic Perception posted:

The Game of Thrones RPG which despite the poor reception I've actually found to be fun. The old graphics don't bother me at all and the game is quite enjoyable to actually play. It's also much much better than DA:2 so I don't know how Game of Thrones got poo poo on and DA:2 got so many passes seeing as it was completely unplayable for me (and I LOVED DA:O/awakenings even though awakenings dumbed things down).

Payola, obviously.

I liked the GOT RPG way more than DA2 too. Sure the combat was a slog but that was a ballsy and interesting story.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

When you install Awakenings, are you able to use the class abilities it brings at any time or only after you hit the post Origins content?

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Lotish posted:

When you install Awakenings, are you able to use the class abilities it brings at any time or only after you hit the post Origins content?

There's a mod that lets you use Awakening stuff in Origins.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Torment comments shouldn't be that surprising. "A game whose story is focused on the player character's journey, set almost entirely in one crazy, hosed-up city, populated with crazy, hosed-up people (who can't change their clothes)" describes both PST and DA2. I mean, PST actually does those things well, but there are some pretty obvious similarities.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

You couldn't change your clothes but you could switch out eyeballs and teeth. I feel like that's a worthwhile distinction to be made.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe all the identical dungeons with way too many monsters in them were just referencing the Modron Puzzle Cube?

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
And Merrill is like an anime, stupid version of Nordom. The pieces are coming together!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

And Merrill is like an anime, stupid version of Nordom. The pieces are coming together!

Man now I'm imagining Merrill's lines voiced by Homer Simpson. I think that would increase the quality of the game greatly.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So has anyone took one for the team and 'read' any of Asunder? For some reason I'm actually curious as to what societies the rogue Circle or Mage Faction have set themselves up with. I'll even settle for something simple, like there's one group that turned an abandoned Tower into a fortress of fiery death.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Crabtree posted:

So has anyone took one for the team and 'read' any of Asunder? For some reason I'm actually curious as to what societies the rogue Circle or Mage Faction have set themselves up with. I'll even settle for something simple, like there's one group that turned an abandoned Tower into a fortress of fiery death.

Asunder doesn't have what you're looking for in it. The last 5 pages of the book are about the Circles voting on breaking free of the Chantry.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

EightDeer posted:

Asunder doesn't have what you're looking for in it. The last 5 pages of the book are about the Circles voting on breaking free of the Chantry.

I know one templar went with the group that split from the circle. Did a few other templars go with the mages, too? It's been a while since I read it.
I thought Wynne's son and his buddies had already escaped the circle and were just kind of chillin' in an abandoned castle. And there might have been snow...

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
The thing that surprises me most is people in this thread and the last have been relatively complementary toward Asunder. After seeing some absolutely dreadful panels from the comics, I expected the novels to be just as bad, if not worse.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

The thing that surprises me most is people in this thread and the last have been relatively complementary toward Asunder. After seeing some absolutely dreadful panels from the comics, I expected the novels to be just as bad, if not worse.

So being bad at writing comics automatically means you are bad at writing novels? That's a hell of a logical stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Doublehex posted:

So being bad at writing comics automatically means you are bad at writing novels? That's a hell of a logical stretch.

How so?

• Locked thread