Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Crasscrab posted:

well seeing as how bsg was created by a mormon who put a bunch of mormon poo poo into the original idea for the project

dont quite stymie u loving rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the hilarious thing is the way upper management works, the idiots who decided to start their own streaming service probably left before it crashed and burned, and proudly list that initiative on their cv as they continue to fail upwards in life

i once tried to put together a basic file drop/retrieval thing for some clients to use and management got involved and eventually i was asked to basically reinvent ftp, but over http, and make it easy because ftp is "too hard", and oh yeah this needs to also be a comprehensive system that assigns tasks and provides full content management

that's still in scope, right?

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Crasscrab posted:

well seeing as how bsg was created by a mormon who put a bunch of mormon poo poo into the original idea for the project

according to wikipedia the original name for the show was meant to be adama's ark lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duTrieux. posted:

that's still in scope, right?
the tension between wanting to show your cool little quick-and-dirty project to your boss (to demonstrate your initiative and go-getting spirit) and your fear that your boss will take your little hack, blow it into a major thing it was never meant to be, and then assign you the responsibility for maintaining is responsible for about 20% of the misery tech workers experience every year.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Hashtag Nascar posted:

according to wikipedia the original name for the show was meant to be adama's ark lol

there's also a whole list of religious poo poo that pops up in bsg

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it must be because the bsg creators are secret Godists who are pushing their Anti-Rational agenda on us Enlightened Atheists, rather than it's easier and more interesting to use religious iconography to tell a story than sneering diatribes about how dumb Religionists are

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
god did it is literally the cylon mantra for the entire series. it shouldn't come as any surprise that god did in fact do it. the bigger problem with bsg is they never properly framed why it's relevant for the cylons to believe in that god, how that contrasts with the humans' polytheism, and why this results in a genocidal war between the two.

the show heavily telegraphs that god is working the strings behind everything. the show never explains why this is important. cue audience filling in the blanks themselves and being frustrated when no narrative explanation is ever offered.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 12, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i would have no problem with god did it if there were any indication of god's motivations or wants or values or what the meaning of it was beyond the writer going "hey let's inject some portent in here"

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
'God did it' was p dumb but the end scene on modern day earth was dumb as hell

iirc it turned it all into a frankenstein 'treat your creations well' morality take

MindSet fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 12, 2013

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

csfs: detoxxing from the stupid BSG ending (I was actually finishing up a complete rewash) and having a palate cleanse with Frasier since I never watched that show when I was on. That show is p solid.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Monkeyseesaw posted:

god did it is literally the cylon mantra for the entire series. it shouldn't come as any surprise that god did in fact do it. the bigger problem with bsg is they never properly framed why it's relevant for the cylons to believe in that god, how that contrasts with the humans' polytheism, and why this results in a genocidal war between the two.

the show heavily telegraphs that god is working the strings behind everything. the show never explains why this is important. cue audience filling in the blanks themselves and being frustrated when no narrative explanation is ever offered.

they show us that the cylons are religious fanatics, obsessed with prophesy, again and again. there are indications that events on the show line up with prophesy. and that's the end of the "telegraphing"

in season 3 some totally magical unexplained poo poo happens. people literally come back from the dead without any explanation offered whatsoever

then more unexplained poo poo

then whoops "god did it" is the end of the show

even in religious texts people who come back from the dead can usually discuss the topic intelligently, the authors don't just kinda waffle about it and brush it under the carpet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

battlestar galactica 2004 writer's guide posted:

36 And as they thus spake, JesusStarbuck stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

38 And she said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

40 And when she had thus spoken, he shewed them hisher hands and hisher feet.

41 And she said unto them, I was on Earth and poo poo, it was totally rad, frak it let's get drunk

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 12, 2013

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the thing with using religious tropes in a show is that most everything has been explored and turned outside in again and again over the past 1500 years to the point of absurdity. putting together a judeo-christian morality play in tyool 2013 and expecting everybody to just nod their heads and go "oh, god did it. how profound!" is just plain lazy

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

the thing with using religious tropes in a show is that most everything has been explored and turned outside in again and again over the past 1500 years to the point of absurdity. putting together a judeo-christian morality play in tyool 2013 and expecting everybody to just nod their heads and go "oh, god did it. how profound!" is just plain lazy

relying on religious symbols to convey your meaning instead of creating proper narrative/characterization/plot is also lazy

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Monkeyseesaw posted:

it doesn't explain why because the people involved expect watchers to just be all "oh, god did it! that makes sense because we are all part of god's plan. god is inscrutable, so there's no point in explanation anyway!"

lazy

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Started to watch the X-Files on netflix, really not that good through the first season.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

relying on religious symbols to convey your meaning instead of creating proper narrative/characterization/plot is also lazy

nah i enjoy the use of religious allusion that poo poo is cool w/ me

it's a rich literary tradition why the gently caress would you not apply it to genre fiction or television

duTrieux. posted:

it doesn't explain why because the people involved expect watchers to just be all "oh, god did it! that makes sense because we are all part of god's plan. god is inscrutable, so there's no point in explanation anyway!"

lazy

this is the problem

the god of the new testament isn't inscrutable, anything but. jesus is just dyin to tell people what his daddy's up to, it's the "good news" and poo poo

miracles are performed, extensively discussed etc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LP97S posted:

Started to watch the X-Files on netflix, really not that good through the first season.

the really good run starts at "duane barry" and continues for at least the next several seasons, consensus seems to be that it goes downhill after 6

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the problem with BSG was that ronald d moore has the attention span of a fruit fly he can maybe come up with a good idea but then he'll just throw it away as soon as the next one comes up. this is why hes a terrible showrunner but great staff writer.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

rigberry enema posted:

liked the setting and tone. the twist seemed pretty obvious early on. tom cruise is a pretty good actor despite being batshit irl.

yeah, pretty much all of this except i didn't think tom cruise did all that great a job. not terrible, but nothing really interesting about his character

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
frankly im just surprised the trailer for oblivion didnt show tom cruise fighting himself for like 30 seconds or something because trailers giving away the entire loving movie seems to be the new big thing these days

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nah i enjoy the use of religious allusion that poo poo is cool w/ me

it's a rich literary tradition why the gently caress would you not apply it to genre fiction or television

this is the problem

the god of the new testament isn't inscrutable, anything but. jesus is just dyin to tell people what his daddy's up to, it's the "good news" and poo poo

miracles are performed, extensively discussed etc.

i'm talking about the popular perception, not the actuality. i have a preferred translation and everything :3

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

king james rules, schofield reference bible drools

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

LP97S posted:

i love the stand-alone "monster" episodes, the overarching storyline episodes not so much.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

bsg chat: i liked how over 4 seasons there weren't that many bullshit non-story filler episodes. they were there, like the black market episode with bill duke (who rules btw) and the one about unionizing on the fuel processing ship, but overall it felt like the main story was progressing with each show.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

dur posted:

holy crap netflix has gotten rid of a lot of poo poo from their streaming section

like, the quiet earth and a boy and his dog are both gone, and my queue or MyList or whatever is about half as long as it was last time i checked

Shaun the Sheep is also gone, which really pissed my dad off

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Product placement in shows is nearly always eyewateringly bad tho :o: The Nissan LEAF in Fringe was 'lol what' .

i started watching fringe season 4 since i stopped at 3 when it originally aired and just saw this

peter: *points to range meter* :ohdear:
olivia: "don't worry, this baby gets plenty of range :smuggo:"
*cut to nissan leaf logo*

honestly even though it was just as overt it was better when they were using ford tauruses and poo poo since those are at least a little believable, but lol at the thought of a us government issued japanese electric car

its sort of like jack bauer's hyundai genesis

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BSG would've been better if they stuck with 13 eps a season, like they did with the first season. The writing in the first season was a lot tighter thanks to that. And the Cylons were still scary.

But they wanted syndication so...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone reading Worm?

I'm addicted to this poo poo now

It's a dark YA-ish superhero serial that's been updating twice weekly since 2011. It's not as good as Watchmen but it's got a kind of similar vibe to it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Quine Connoisseur posted:

lol at the thought of a us government issued japanese electric car

its sort of like jack bauer's hyundai genesis

well...i did once see some EPA folks driving a prius (w/ us government plates)

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

rigberry enema posted:

bsg chat: i liked how over 4 seasons there weren't that many bullshit non-story filler episodes. they were there, like the black market episode with bill duke (who rules btw) and the one about unionizing on the fuel processing ship, but overall it felt like the main story was progressing with each show.

even then, those episodes were the a direct result of previous events in episodes before and felt like a bit of progression in the involved characters, which is decent compared to say picard on sexy adventure islandplanet

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TOOT BOOT posted:

dark YA-ish superhero serial
lol

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There have been some seriously dark YA novels

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TOOT BOOT posted:

There have been some seriously dark YA novels
i wasn't saying "lol, a dark ya-ish superhero serial???" i was saying "lol at this loving baby" and now it's even more appropriate

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i wasn't saying "lol, a dark ya-ish superhero serial???" i was saying "lol at this loving baby" and now it's even more appropriate

You're lucky I even deigned to respond to a C-tier poster such as yrself

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Your posts seem to ignore that there was a whole Federation-Cardassian war that occurred before the DMZ was established and before the Federation just ~ignored~ the poor squatter colonists. Let's review the timeline:

• Colonies founded in disputed territory against Federation advice
  • Federation-Cardassian war, which was made out to be a big deal, and which was considered a grave threat to Federation security should it reignite
  • Peace treaty negotiated which swaps territory with Cardassians, colonists offered free relocation to any other planet (or, if they didn't like the planets offered, the Federation would literally send out Starfleet to find new planets for colonization)
  • Some colonists refuse to move, despite warnings that the Federation will not be there to protect them
  • Colonists who stayed in what is now Cardassian territory bitch about the spoonheads loving with them
  • Federation says "hey if we move in it could start another war, maybe y'all should just get out like we suggested"
  • Maquis formed - adopt a strategy of literally trying to reignite the Fed/Cardie war so as to drive off all Cardassians
  • Maquis whine about how the Federation won't get involved in the affairs of people who didn't want to listen to the Federation in the first place
  • Maquis whine about how the Federation didn't come charging to their rescue when the Jem'Hadar rolled up, despite that Starfleet was getting its rear end handed to them too

I also never said I "can't understand" why they wouldn't want to leave their home. I've only said that the circumstances around them losing their homes do not at all justify violence. If you don't understand how one can see what motivates the Maquis while still labeling them violent extremist assholes, you yourself might be a regressive rear end in a top hat.

Well, first, I don't agree that it shows the Federation as "just as hosed up and lovely" because I don't think it was a hosed up/lovely move to begin with, so maybe that argument of yours isn't carrying much water.

How do you include the colonists without giving them a veto? Why should we let a bunch of idiots who colonized disputed territory have a veto? That's what 'involving' them in any meaningful sense is going to entail, because otherwise the other 99.98% of the Federation population is going to take one look and say "gently caress no, man, those planets aren't worth megadeaths over." And if they straight-up refuse to cede any territory then what productive contribution are they going to make to the peace process? Have you thought any of this through at all or are you just angry that someone didn't uncritically lap up the "man life on the colonies sure is tough, heh i always knew the feds were just like literally every other organization ever" narrative like you did?

also the federation has infinite energy and infinite resources to give to these people to build new homes. its not even slightly like someone in our time losing their home.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i want to go back to galactica and live there i want to go please.. make more bsg. i love that ship. i really liked the ep when it was all hosed up and the hull was groaning and stuff. because you went to diff parts and xplored her body.

i like how she can just take nukes to her hull plating. i like how she has hull plating and no deflector shields. i like how the cylons just loving shoot people wi bullets and poo poo.

I rewatched the miniseries with a friend the other day and remembered why i first fell in love

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TOOT BOOT posted:

You're lucky I even deigned to respond to a C-tier poster such as yrself
same

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

your retorts are as sharp as your wit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!