Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
:siren: Hey stupids, if you haven't read all the books you should leave this topic now. Spoilers begin below the title card! :siren:

Get hype!

The fourth season of Game of Thrones will begin airing on April 6th 2014.

Rules

1. Don't post spoilers in the show thread.
2. Don't confirm spoilers or call out people who posts spoilers in the show thread. Report them!
3. Don't use spoiler tags in this thread. They are redundant.

Break the rules and you take a tumble out the Moon Door.

---

Episodes

Episode 1: Two Swords
Written by: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
Directed by: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
Synopsis: Tyrion welcomes a guest to King's Landing. At Castle Black, Jon Snow finds himself unwelcome. Dany is pointed to Meereen, the mother of all slave cities. Arya runs into an old friend.

Episode 2: The Lion and the Rose
Written by: George R. R. Martin
Directed by: Alex Graves
Synopsis: Tyrion lends Jaime a hand. Joffrey and Margaery host a breakfast. At Dragonstone, Stannis loses patience with Davos. Ramsay finds a purpose for his pet. North of the Wall, Bran sees where they must go.

Episode 3: Breaker of Chains
Synopsis: Tyrion ponders his options. Tywin extends an olive branch. Sam (John Bradley) realizes Castle Black isn't safe, and Jon proposes a bold plan. The Hound teaches Arya the way things are. Dany chooses her champion.

Episode 4: Oathkeeper
Written by: Bryan Cogman
Directed by: Michelle MacLaren
Synopsis: Dany balances justice and mercy. Jaime tasks Brienne with his honor. Jon secures volunteers while Bran, Jojen, Meera, and Hodor stumble on shelter.

Episode 5: First of His Name
Directed by: Michelle MacLaren
Synopsis: Cersei and Tywin plan the Crown's next move; Dany discusses future plans; Jon Snow begins a new mission.

Episode 6: The Laws of Gods and Men
Written by: Bryan Cogman
Directed by: Alik Sakharov
Synopsis: Stannis and Davos set sail; Dany meets with supplicants; Tyrion faces down his father.

Episode 7: Mockingbird
Directed by: Alik Sakharov
Synopsis: Tyrion gains an unlikely ally; Daario asks Dany to allow him to do what he does best; Jon's warnings about the vulnerability of the Wall are ignored; Brienne follows a new lead.

Episode 8: The Mountain and the Viper
Synopsis: Unexpected visitors arrive in Mole’s Town; Littlefinger’s motives are questioned; Ramsay tries to prove himself to his father; Tyrion’s fate is decided.

Episode 9: The Watchers on the Wall
Directed by: Neil Marshall
Synopsis: Jon Snow and the Night’s Watch face a big challenge.

Episode 10: The Children
Synopsis: Circumstances change after an unexpected arrival from north of the Wall; Dany must face harsh realities; Bran learns more about his destiny; Tyrion sees the truth about his situation.

---

So what's happening in Season 4?

The show has strayed further and further from the books, so adaption chat is starting to get tricky. Conservatively, we can say that Season 4 will adapt the last half of ASOS and certain parts of AFFC and ADWD. Bran, for example, has only three chapters' worth of material left and they're all in ADWD, Brienne and Pod's actors have been spotted filming together in rural Iceland, and so on. Certain characters have deviated massively from the books (Asha Yara is going to rescue to try and rescue Theon, Jaime has arrived in King's Landing early, Balon is still alive, etc.), so we can expect new story lines to emerge as a result. For instance, there are rumors (1, 2) that Bran is going to be taken prisoner by the mutineers at Craster's Keep.

With that in mind, here is what we can look forward to seeing (not in order):

- Jaime x Cersei stump play
- The Purple Wedding
- Arya and Sandor reenact Homeward Bound
- Coldhands, hopefully?
- Jaime starts to realize his family is kind of lovely
- Roose, Ramsay, and Reek's father-son-slave bonding
- Barristan finally loving fights somebody, surely?
- Yara's doomed mission to save Theon
- Stannis and Davos treat with the Iron Bank
- Brienne and Pod go looking for Sansa
- Sansa Alayne and Littlefinger in the Vale
- Jorah's betrayal and subsequent exile
- Ygritte's death
- Tyrion's trial and Shae's betrayal
- The Meereenese Knot starts to tangle
- Oberyn vs. The Mountain
- Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!
- Arya goes to Braavos, Sandor "dies"
- Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, poo poo gold
- Lord Snow
- Only Cat
- Lady Stoneheart

---

Confirmed Cast Additions

The North

Octavia Alexandru as The Child of the Forest
I knew her passing resemblance to Maisie Williams and strong accent meant something.

Elizabeth Webster as Fat Walda
The newly wed Lady Bolton. Her forks are sharp.

Lu Corfield as Mole's Town Madame
No doubt the show runners are trying to fill the holes left by Ros.

Brenock O'Conner as Potato Boy
Update as of Episode 4: Satin replacement I guess. He's going to kill Ygritte.

Yuri Kolokolnikov as Styr
The Magnar of Thenn. I'm just as surprised as you are.

Jane McGrath as Sissy
We don't know any details about her role except that she's a wildling.

Joseph Gatt as Thenn Raider
Apparently he's just some Thenn Raider.

Struan Rodger as Three Eyed Raven
Looks like they'll be keeping references to his true identity to a minimum.

The Vale

Paola Dionisotti as Anya Waynwood
Harry the Heir's guardian. Secret Faceless Man.

Rupert Vansittart as Bronze Yohn Royce
They better not skimp on the magic armour.

The Riverlands

Gary Oliver as Braavosi Captain
Valar dohaeris.

Gabriella Dempsey as Innkeeper's Daughter
I don't think we'll have to worry about the audience hating Gregor.

Grahame Fox as Ralf Kenning
TFW no Victarion.

The Crownlands

Indria Varma as Ellaria Sand
Oberyn's paramour. Likes Cersei.

Hafthor Julius Bjornsson as Gregor Clegane
Now there's The Mountain we can all look up to.

Daniel Rabin as Lord Blackmont
That's a weird looking face.

Roger Ashton-Griffiths as Mace Tyrell
The Lord of Highgarden. Fun fact: the actor is only 56 years old.

Sigur Ros as The Bastard's Boys Progressive Space Yodelers
Even Joffrey is sick of them

Dean-Charles Chapman as Tommen Baratheon
We better see some goddamn kittens.

Pedro Pascal as Oberyn Martell
The Red Viper. Too white for Tumblr.

Essos

Michiel Huisman as Daario Naharis
This certainly won't confuse anyone at all.

Darren Kent as Goatherd
Drogon eats his kid.

Joel Fry as Hizdahr zo Loraq
Harzoo.

Mark Gatiss as Tycho Nestoris
A delegate of Iron Bank of Braavos. Also not Syrio.

Returning Guest Stars

The following secondary characters have been confirmed to appear:

- Lysa Arryn (Kate Dickie)
- Dontos Hollard (Tony Way)
- Myranda (Charlotte Hope)
- Locke (Noah Taylor)
- Alliser Thorne (Owen Teale)
- Janos Slynt (Dominic Carter)
- Rorge (Andy Beckwith)
- Karl (Burn Gorman)

---

Thread History

Season 1: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - Ned Head Redemption - Early Episode 7 Thread
Season 2: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - Shadow Baby
Season 3: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - Dracarys - The Red Wedding
Season 4: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - The Purple Wedding - The Night's King - IN LIKE THIS

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Latest Hype

Season 4: Trailer Sneak Peeks
Five Vine videos showcasing scenes from the upcoming trailer.

Season 4: Trailer Teaser
You can't just drop a trailer, you gotta prep the audience first.

Season 4: Trailer #1
It's happening. Thread discussion starts here.

Season 4: Behind the Scenes - On the Set
Our first behind the scenes look at Season 4.

Season 4: Ice and Fire: A Foreshadowing - Behind the Scenes Show Promo
A short preview of an upcoming fifteen minute special about Season 4.

Season 4: Behind the Scenes - Production Designer Deborah Riley
I bet you don't hear a word Deborah Riley says because you're so focused on the footage.

Season 4: Ice and Fire: A Foreshadowing
Fifteen minute special showcasing Season 4. Thread discussion starts here.

Season 4: Trailer #2 - Vengeance
Thread discussion starts here.

Season 4: Behind the Scenes - The Intensity of Iceland
They had a video with the exact same name last season. No one cares about Iceland.

Season 4: Stark Direwolf Tease
Direwolves are scary.

Season 4: Dany Dragon Tease
Dragons are scary.

Season 4: Tyrion Dungeon Tease
Dungeons are scary.

Season 4: Catch the Throne
Dungeons dragons direwolves kings and queens.

Season 4: Trailer #3 - Secrets
Thread discussion starts here.

Season 4: Behind the Scenes - Shooting in Belfast
I'm just glad they're not going on about Iceland anymore.

Game of Thrones: Bastards of Westeros
An in-depth look at bastards in Westeros, featuring scenes from Season 4.

Season 4: Trailer #4 - Devil Inside
Now available on Youtube and not just on Facebook.

Season 4: Awaken
A short preview of Season 4.

Season 4: All Men Must Die
Another short preview of Season 4.

Season 4: Behind the Scenes - Shooting in Croatia
Also known as "Ekskluzivno: Ekipa Igre prijestolja o snimanju u Hrvatskoj!"

Season 4: Behind the Scenes - Director's Feature
The directors of Season 4 discuss their work.

Season 4: Behind the Scenes - Making of the Royal Wedding
GRRM would be proud of this feast.

Season 4: Behind the Scenes - Weapons and Training
Behind the scenes look at the choreography for fights.

Season 4: Behind the Scenes - Costumes
Oh, bop, do do do do do do do do/Fa-fa-fa-fa-fashion

Season 4: Behind the Scenes - New Characters and Locations
An in-depth look at the new players and places.
---

Recommended Reading

This spoiler thread also serves as a de facto book discussion thread since it's the only place on the forums where you can talk about the series with other book readers without using spoilers tags, that also isn't the Bad Thread.

To facilitate discussion, here is a list of articles that I suggest reading. This list is by no means all-inclusive, and many popular theories are missing because there aren't any comprehensive write ups available yet. As for what is listed, you may disagree with some of the authors' assertions and conclusions, but still take away a greater appreciation of the world of ASOIAF.

Resources

TWOW Sample Chapters: A compilation of the sample chapters of The Winds of Winter that have been released to the public. Credit to Ballz for compiling them all into one document.

The ASOIAF Timeline: It is no secret that GRRM is terrible at accurate measurements and judging distances. Nevertheless, this timeline is an attempt to organize the events of the series into chronological order using evidence from the books. Dates aren't necessarily precise, and by the authors' own admission there are many assumptions, but it remains the most precise ASOIAF timeline in existence.

Essays

Winterfell Huis Clos: A 300,000 word analysis of the events surrounding Winterfell in ADWD. The author's conclusions are controversial but their meticulous examination of the recurring themes and symbolism in ASOIAF during the first section should be considered required reading for any ASOIAF fan.

Race for the Iron Throne: In the author's own words, a historical and political analysis of A Song of Ice and Fire. Written by a PhD in history, Race for the Iron Throne discusses the series on a chapter by chapter basis, examining the story, characters, political systems, and historical influences of the books.

Untangling the Meereenese Knot: A five-part critical response to the prevailing notion that Dany's storyline in ADWD was useless and boring. The author recontextualizes the conflict in Meereen and posits that it is far more interesting (and relevant) than it first appears.

Other Wars: A six-part analysis of Jon Snow's character and ADWD storyline. Jon's tenure as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch is marked by a series of challenges to his core values. On multiple occasions, Jon is forced to choose between adhering to his vows as a brother of the Night's Watch and acting upon his valiant desire to do the right thing. The author of examines how Jon's noble heart ultimately causes his downfall.

The Pyre Revisited: A short essay that finally sets the record straight about Dany's alleged immunity to fire. The author of this article reexamines the climax of AGOT and identifies the true reason for the miracle that occurred on the Pyre.

One Does Not Simply Warg Into Hodor: Often overlooked by readers, Bran is guilty of one of the most evil acts in the entire series: the willful mental subjugation of another human being. The author of this short essay summarizes the depravity of Bran's actions and hints at some of the disturbing potential consequences of his behavior.

Theories

R + L = J: Jon Snow is actually the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. By far the most popular theory in the fandom, it is so well supported that it can be pretty much considered a fact. The article I linked only encompasses the first three books in the series but remains one of the most comprehensive guides to the theory. After ASOS, references and evidence for R+L=J become much more subtle and rare, as if GRRM realized how quickly the theory could spread thanks to the development of a devoted internet fanbase.

Dead Man making GBS threads: Tywin Lannister was poisoned by Oberyn Martell before his death. A theory first suggested more than a decade after ASOS was released, this theory ties a number of strange coincidences and subtle clues together into a compelling theory.

---

Season 3 Wrap Up

Line Counts

According to some crazy person on wic.net, here is a list of the characters with the most lines in Season 3, ranked in descending order.

quote:

Characters with the most lines in Season 3:
1. Tyrion - 224
2. Jaime - 120
3. Daenerys - 106
4. Arya - 105
5. Tywin - 99
6. Cersei - 97
6. Sansa - 97
8. Davos - 96
9. Robb - 92
10. Jon - 89
11. Bran - 84
12. Gendry - 72
12. Joffrey - 72
12. Margaery - 72
12. Samwell - 72
16. Olenna - 71
16. Ygritte - 71
18. Theon - 70
19. Thoros - 67
20. Shae - 64
21. Brienne - 60
21. Missandei - 60
23. Melisandre - 59
24. Stannis - 58
25. Sandor - 57
26. Varys -56
27. Jojen -55
28. Jorah - 52
29. Osha - 52
30. Ramsay - 49
31. Gilly - 48
31. Talisa - 48
33. Catelyn - 46
34. Bronn - 45
35. Littlefinger - 40

Now obviously, you might have a few questions about the legitimacy of the count. Like, how do we know this guy is telling the truth and how do we know we know what counts as a "line"? For the former question, the guy kept a running tally for most of the season (here's a random sampling: 5, 8, 9) and if you follow the link to 5 he lists his "credentials", so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, I'm posting it here for posterity. If you ever needed proof of Catelyn's marginalization, there you go. I'm kind of mad about how high up Shae is on the list, since I now bear irrefutable proof that she's awful.

Adaption Chart

(You're gonna probably wanna look at this in a new tab)

Although this probably isn't the ideal format to use (and I apologize for that), here are the charted results of the Adaption survey I posted in the previous thread. I gotta say, you guys were a lot more generous with your ratings than I was expecting, and it appears that we fundamentally disagree on the quality of some actors and writing and the accuracy of some characters. Oh well, wisdom of the crowd right? Just so we're clear, the dead centre of both axes would be the equivalent of a character who received a 5 in both categories. I was genuinely expecting more "Bad/Faithful" and "Good/Unfaithful" characters.

Because you guys were so generous, a lot of characters tended to fall within the same range so that's why it's so claustrophobic. I spaced them out as much as I dared while keeping the results "accurate" and relative to one another. Some characters are actually hidden behind others, so I will list them here: Xaro Xhoan Daxos is hidden behind the Shae, Qhorin, Mance pile of shame. Rickon is partially obscured behind Bran. Ygritte and Renly are underneath Lysa, Blackfish and Barristan. Sandor and Varys are located beneath Roose, Olenna and Theon.

You probably want to know who the highest and lowest in each category was, right? Well here you go: Tywin is the best, Walder is the most accurate, Quaithe is the worst (which surprised me) by a few pixels, and Talisa is the least accurate (though, for fairness sake I consider Mance to be the least accurate as Talisa is deliberately different from Jeyne Westerling).

---

zoux posted:

nuncle jimbo posted:

For some reason the thought of Jeff Goldblum as the Red Viper occurred to me and I can't shake it

You..ah...you...ah....raped? her. Heh. Then you...you...then you *waggles eybrows* killed her? You murdered her children.

---

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It would be like a telenovela. We open with Dany in Daario's arms in a bungalow with a slowly rotating ceiling fan. They giggle, and the thick humidity leaves their skin glistening wetly. The door swings open, revealing Khal Drogo in an open-front short-sleeved shirt.

"Dany, mi esposa," he says, as the camera zooms in on his smiling face. "Yo Acabamos de regresar de la tumba para continuar nuestro matrimonio."

But then, a tense musical sting! His eyes narrow. "Daenerys. Este hombre que sostiene en manera de un amante. ¿Quién es él?"

"No, marido!" She leaps to her feet, quickly buttoning her blouse shut. "No es lo que piensas, lo juro por los Siete!"

"Khal Drogo, puedo explicarlo," Daario says, his thick, bristling moustache shimmering with sweat. And gold. "¿No le gustaría por favor calmarte?"

Drogo's eyes bore into Daario like a physical blow, knocking the man back onto the extremely tidy bed. "Cállate, puta."

---

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 3, 2014

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Cool! More Rome alumni

E: I just now learned that Indira Varma was cast

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

Because you guys were so generous, a lot of characters tended to fall within the same range so that's why it's so claustrophobic. I spaced them out as much as I dared while keeping the results "accurate" and relative to one another. Some characters are actually hidden behind others, so I will list them here: Xaro Xhoan Daxos is hidden behind the Shae, Qhorin, Mance pile of shame. Rickon is partially obscured behind Bran. Ygritte and Renly are underneath Lysa, Blackfish and Barristan. Sandor and Varys are located beneath Roose, Olenna and Theon.

I had some trouble with the rankings, classic 4-point-10-point scale. I'd only give sub-5 to that crappy stableboy. I also found myself going "okay that's different, that's different, this never happened, but they got the important bits, 9" a lot. Look at Syrio, they changed his most important dialogue (because the book version was dumb) and he still ranks as incredibly faithful.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

So why did they recast Daario?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Gorn Myson posted:

So why did they recast Daario?

probably because the old one was crap.

Also I love the new thread title, it's just close enough to be a spoiler that some people are going to get super butthurt but it's such an obscure pun that it doesn't actually spoil anyone who is show only.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So have we heard anything to indicate that Michelle Fairley is actually returning this season? What if they cut Lady Stoneheart altogether? :ohdear:

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID

Regy Rusty posted:

So have we heard anything to indicate that Michelle Fairley is actually returning this season? What if they cut Lady Stoneheart altogether? :ohdear:

It'll take a little digging to find it but I think the casting call for extras for season four said something about her.

EDIT: Here ya go: http://www.acting-auditions.org/2013/06/hbo-hit-series-game-of-thrones-season-4.html

Casting Call posted:

Irish Film and Television Awards nominee Michelle Fairley moves forward with her role as Catelyn Stark.

vocaloid orgasm fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 13, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fat Walda's cute :3:

And are people actually stressing over Pedro Pascal being "too white"? He looks fine to me, considering the Red Viper was inspired by a character played by a Jewish guy from Chicago. Just give him a tan if it's so important.

Who were the tumblrites hoping for?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Fat Walda's cute :3:

And are people actually stressing over Pedro Pascal being "too white"? He looks fine to me, considering the Red Viper was inspired by a character played by a Jewish guy from Chicago. Just give him a tan if it's so important.

Who were the tumblrites hoping for?

"Someone more dark, why are they using a Latin American actor if he doesn't even look properly Latin".

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

computer parts posted:

"Someone more dark, why are they using a Latin American actor if he doesn't even look properly Latin".

lol Good job tumblr on colorism.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
A white latino? Unheard of! (Full disclosure: South American white here).

Considering Dorne is a kind of Iberian Peninsula/Arabian mishmash, Pascal casting makes sense, at least.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
They aren't ditching Lady Stoneheart. Who else is going to lynch Jaime? :colbert:

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Recasting Daario seems silly. He's made enough of an impression that i'll look and feel weird when he's played by another actor, but not enough of an impression that they couldn't have just brought in another character and have him do everything Daario would have done.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Any news on Illen Payne or does he not show up until season 5? I don't really remember the books too much. I heard the actor that plays him has cancer pretty bad so I assume they will have to recast him. He ends up being a fairly important character, but I guess they could just ditch him all together and maybe have Jamie train some other way. I hope not though.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
It seemed like a lot of Tumblr thought Dorne was black. Which would have owned, but it's not really supported in the text. Michael K Williams would be quite an Oberyn.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Any news on Illen Payne or does he not show up until season 5? I don't really remember the books too much. I heard the actor that plays him has cancer pretty bad so I assume they will have to recast him. He ends up being a fairly important character, but I guess they could just ditch him all together and maybe have Jamie train some other way. I hope not though.
Sadly the producers have said that they're not going to recast Ilyn, GuyDudeBroMan.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mexcillent posted:

A lot of Tumblr has this thing where they're so dedicated to fighting against racism in every conceivable form and context that they end up being kind of racist without even realizing it. It's like the Horseshoe Theory but for terrible Internet people.

Fatkraken posted:

Also I love the new thread title, it's just close enough to be a spoiler that some people are going to get super butthurt but it's such an obscure pun that it doesn't actually spoil anyone who is show only.

It really is a masterstroke. I didn't even get the reference until I was several posts in. I just thought it was a warning against badposting or something. :allears:

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Lovechop posted:

Sadly the producers have said that they're not going to recast Ilyn, GuyDudeBroMan.

So does that mean the character will not show up again?

How does Jamie train? The whole point of training with Ilyn was because he couldn't speak and tell people about how terrible Jamie is left handed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

loquacius posted:

A lot of Tumblr has this thing where they're so dedicated to fighting against racism in every conceivable form and context that they end up being kind of racist without even realizing it. It's like the Horseshoe Theory but for terrible Internet people.

It really is a masterstroke. I didn't even get the reference until I was several posts in. I just thought it was a warning against badposting or something. :allears:

I feel stupid because I'm an idiot, and don't get the reference.

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.

TraderStav posted:

I feel stupid because I'm an idiot, and don't get the reference.

Only Cat.

The last thing Lysa ever heard.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Superhaus posted:

Only Cat.

:downswords:

Ahh yes, I was being too literal. Very nice. :golfclap:

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Superhaus posted:

Only Cat.

And also the best moment in the whole series.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

So, you guys remember how Diana Rigg appropriately looked a lot like Natalie Dormer when she was young?

Well, I was curious so I went and looked if a 25-year-old Roger Ashton-Griffiths looked anything like Finn Jones:

Ehhh... I'm gonna say nope.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CumFart Gurantee posted:

They aren't ditching Lady Stoneheart. Who else is going to lynch Jaime? :colbert:

Prediction: Nobody is going to lynch Jaime.

So HBO is rapidly running out of books, is GRRM going to actually have to write the last two in a timely manner for contractural reasons?

PS, a lot of people are misspelling ~~~Daario~~~ ;)

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Mexcillent posted:

Sadly, it's not just tumblr. There was a huge fallout on GRRM's live journal about this which is why he had to make a statement that he always saw the Dornish as "Mediterranean" and not black. Of course that could have been a lot of tumblr users there too.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Brienne is somehow going to save Jaime, I think that's the conclusion from Jaime's fever dream

quote:

Then his sword went dark, and only Brienne’s burned, as the ghosts came rushing in.

Although we also have:

quote:

“The flames will burn so long as you live,” he heard Cersei call. “When they die, so must you.”

So maybe he does bite it, but Brienne is going to try to defend him, I dunno.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

hobbesmaster posted:

Prediction: Nobody is going to lynch Jaime.

So HBO is rapidly running out of books, is GRRM going to actually have to write the last two in a timely manner for contractural reasons?

PS, a lot of people are misspelling ~~~Daario~~~ ;)

Does GRRM plot in advance? Like does he have a list of a couple hundred chapters with a 3 line summary of each one taking us all the way to the end of the series, or is he literally making it up as he goes along with no plan or idea of what will happen next?

It's the second one isn't it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fatkraken posted:

Does GRRM plot in advance? Like does he have a list of a couple hundred chapters with a 3 line summary of each one taking us all the way to the end of the series, or is he literally making it up as he goes along with no plan or idea of what will happen next?

GRRM has said he has the beginnings and endings planned but figuring out how people get from point A to point B is sort of vague.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Fatkraken posted:

My understanding is that GRRM has a story treatment/plot outline for the last two books that is basically the same remnant as when the series was intended to be a trilogy (and remember, we are roughly at or a bit past the middle of book 2 in said planned trilogy), but that he keeps shoveling poo poo into the middle of the story.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I heard the showrunners had a meeting with GRRM about the last two books before the end of last season to continue just in case the pace of the show outpaces the books.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

Despite minor errors (Jeyne's description) he seems to be doing pretty well with internal consistencies even if it isn't all plotted out JMS style.

^^^also he seems to be writing a good number of episodes. I wonder if he'll do something like outright diverge the show and books.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

quote:

Only Chat

:golfclap:

Also, I am amazed Stannis did not score higher on the "Good" scale on that survey.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Brienne is somehow going to save Jaime, I think that's the conclusion from Jaime's fever dream

Although we also have:

So maybe he does bite it, but Brienne is going to try to defend him, I dunno.

It says to me that he'll die, and Brienne will carry on the Oathkeeper quest to protect the Stark girls.

She'll be horribly depressed, though. God, she'll be worse to read than Tyrion.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Fatkraken posted:

quote:

AC: I’ve heard you say in interviews that you don't start out with an intricately mapped world, you set out with certain goals in mind and find them as they come. Does that lead to copious amounts of revision?

GM: Yes. In a word, yes. That's why the books are so slow. I trust my muse, I suppose, but sometimes my muse leads me down dead alleys and mugs me. So then I have to slap around my muse and get back to the main street, and the way that's well-lighted. Yeah, there's no denying that. But sometimes also, the story goes in unexpected directions, and it turns out to be much more interesting than the way that I originally envisioned it going. So sometimes it does make sense to follow that muse where it goes, but you never know until you try it. And that's what I'm doing.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/books/2013-08-29/lonestarcon-3-the-george-r-r-martin-interview/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Olivia42 posted:

It says to me that he'll die, and Brienne will carry on the Oathkeeper quest to protect the Stark girls.

I'm wondering if a Stark reunion won't end in tragedy.

Maybe reunions are cool in direwolf/zombie form.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Olivia42 posted:

Plus she'll probably keep Jaime's golden hand as a memento and gods know what she'll be doing with that thing...

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

ShaqDiesel posted:

Plus she'll probably keep Jaime's golden hand as a memento and gods know what she'll be doing with that thing...

I did not need that thought in my head. Thanks a lot! :cry:

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Nthing that the thread title is amazing. Can't wait for all my illiterate friends to get attached to Oberyn

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Superhaus posted:

Only Cat.

I hope they keep her falling out completely silent, no screaming, just wide eyed bug eyes. I can see it in my head and it's soooo gooood...

Speaking of mental images based on the books, my sister, who has read all ASOS, has asked me several times if they've already shown Joffrey die or not. She can swear she's actually seen the actors act it out and can describe their facial expressions and everything. I've assured her that it has not happened yet in the show and that we're due for a rewatch to refresh her memory, but it's kind of funny because I get what she's saying. There were scenes in the show from season 3 that I could swear I had already seen before on my first watch, but it was just my memory of reading the scenes mixed with the extremely consistent performances of the actors playing out exactly as I imagined them.

I told her that her mental image of the Purple Wedding would probably not match up with the show's portrayal because according to filming news the Purple Wedding seems to be taking place outside in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I always kind of pictured Antonio Banderas as the Viper. But, like, Desperado/13th Warrior Banderas. Not modern Banderas, with his saggy face and tired eyes.

• Locked thread