Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
What are the balances left on all the debt just out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

Lyon posted:

What are the balances left on all the debt just out of curiosity?

When I first made this thread I thought that slightly past mid month was the best time to track balances as it's the most conservative; my rent will have cleared by then and I have all of my CCs due date set to the 15th of each month. I could switch to the 1st of the month easily and there's certainly something attractive about the 1st as a reporting date.

Current 9/2/2013
Note that my $2,050 rent check has NOT cleared yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
Maybe you should be trying to zero out the Discover and Chase Slate card ASAP. If they work like most 0% balance transfers, you'll get socked with all the accumulated interest since the balance was transferred when October rolls around.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

Ancillary Character posted:

Maybe you should be trying to zero out the Discover and Chase Slate card ASAP. If they work like most 0% balance transfers, you'll get socked with all the accumulated interest since the balance was transferred when October rolls around.

If I understand your post correctly I don't think it's correct. When the promotional APR on the transfer expires the APR flips back to the standard balance transfer APR, whatever that is. But it doesn't retroactively charge interest for the promotional period.

And since apparently I'd rather do this that my actual work right now I made a reconciliation for August. The time I wasted will keep me in the office till midnight. :sigh:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

What the hell are you buying protein powder for? And "samurai tiger art"?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

grack posted:

Because I like it. It's fun. It makes my dick hard.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Slow Motion posted:

If I understand your post correctly I don't think it's correct. When the promotional APR on the transfer expires the APR flips back to the standard balance transfer APR, whatever that is. But it doesn't retroactively charge interest for the promotional period.

My mistake, I was confusing how they do things for 0% store cards and 0% balance transfers. So I guess you have to make sure the bed is paid off before May of next year.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Protein powder is the cheapest form of protein that you can buy. If you care about your protein intake (IE, are an athlete), then your options are pretty much four chicken breasts/day or some whey powder (this is an exaggeration).

Now the real question is why you're buying 150 bucks of the stuff from Costco of all places. You can get a literal crate of delicious whey from SmartPowders or some other online US vendor for that much. In Canada, a 25lb order of bulk whey concentrate runs like 225, for reference.

And on top of that, $80 in meat. :psyduck:

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

tuyop posted:

Protein powder is the cheapest form of protein that you can buy. If you care about your protein intake (IE, are an athlete), then your options are pretty much four chicken breasts/day or some whey powder (this is an exaggeration).

Now the real question is why you're buying 150 bucks of the stuff from Costco of all places. You can get a literal crate of delicious whey from SmartPowders or some other online US vendor for that much. In Canada, a 25lb order of bulk whey concentrate runs like 225, for reference.

I'll have to check where to order in bulk online. I got 18lbs for the $150 because I'm worried that without the car I will be stuck walking to GNC and getting raped by their prices. It's a silly worry because I plan to borrow cars for my Costco runs anyhow (and now double silly if I start buying online).

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Don't mix pre and post-tax dollars.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Slow Motion posted:

I'll have to check where to order in bulk online. I got 18lbs for the $150 because I'm worried that without the car I will be stuck walking to GNC and getting raped by their prices. It's a silly worry because I plan to borrow cars for my Costco runs anyhow (and now double silly if I start buying online).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470330

The supplement thread is your friend.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Holy balls the OP of this is one of the more fantastically written things on these awful forums.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

tuyop posted:

Costco is cheaper than $9 a pound for whey, I'm pretty sure. More like 6.

e: I could be wrong.

e2: Costco business delivery (they don't have everything available online) <$6/lb - http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11875371&whse=BD_579&topnav=bdoff&cat=11673&hierPath=11115*11200*11673*&lang=en-US

gvibes fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 3, 2013

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Double post, sorry.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 3, 2013

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Engineer Lenk posted:

Don't mix pre and post-tax dollars.
He does it so he doesn't feel so bad about the debt and really having negative financial health. The 401k isn't touchable, so it shouldn't be on sheet when discussing value of debt. Otherwise he should cash it out and pay off the debt (do not do that!)

SlowMotion, for your schedule of debt and cash vs retirement, you could just take the rent $ out of checking, to keep it equal. It doesn't really matter. The important thing is tracking the debt accounts, and your spending, and paying off the debt accounts. I think it would be helpful to have all your income and ALL expenses on ONE budget schedule, too. It's confusing having multiple schedules for something so simple. Just my opinion/suggestion.

Tuyop, thanks for the supplement thread. Holy crap $35/6lbs?! Must read more.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

gvibes posted:

Costco is cheaper than $9 a pound for whey, I'm pretty sure. More like 6.

e: I could be wrong.

e2: Costco business delivery (they don't have everything available online) <$6/lb - http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11875371&whse=BD_579&topnav=bdoff&cat=11673&hierPath=11115*11200*11673*&lang=en-US

Ok this may be a case of Canadian vs US differences. Costco sells their "Leanfit" brand here for $45.19 for 2kg, which is $10.27/lb. This sounds bad, but compared to chicken breasts it's incredible. It's even cheaper than eggs, which are the next cheapest source of protein that I know of at ~$16.82/lb (note, pound of the protein nutrient, not pound of egg).

Edit: 10.27/lb of powder is actually 14.12/lb of nutritional protein because about 6g of each serving is... other stuff.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 5, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

tuyop posted:

Providing rationalization for an unneeded expense (the OP is manifestly not a professional athlete or bodybuilder) doesn't help.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

tuyop posted:

Ok this may be a case of Canadian vs US differences. Costco sells their "Leanfit" brand here for $45.19 for 2kg, which is $10.27/lb. This sounds bad, but compared to chicken breasts it's incredible. It's even cheaper than eggs, which are the next cheapest source of protein that I know of at ~$16.82/lb (note, pound of the protein nutrient, not pound of egg).

Edit: 10.27/lb of powder is actually 14.12/lb of nutritional protein because about 6g of each serving is... other stuff.

How much are eggs in this calculation? They're 89c a dozen near me, and if I have my math right that makes about $5.60 per pound of protein. I'm going off the estimate that each large egg has 6 grams of protein, but I'd hate to eat that many eggs.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

grack posted:

Providing rationalization for an unneeded expense (the OP is manifestly not a professional athlete or bodybuilder) doesn't help.

You don't need to be a bodybuilder or a professional athlete to need protein, and tuyop's right, it is basically the cheapest protein you can buy.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

HookShot posted:

You don't need to be a bodybuilder or a professional athlete to need protein, and tuyop's right, it is basically the cheapest protein you can buy.

But for serious I'm definitely trying to get swole. Seems like good stuff for a single guy. $3-$4/day on protein is the least of my worries.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Being you haven't made any pretty graphs from your data, and you only post one month of debt numbers at a time, here we go!

Slow Motion posted:

But for serious I'm definitely trying to get swole. Seems like good stuff for a single guy. $3-$4/day on protein is the least of my worries.
Definitely not a bad idea. Regular exercise is great.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

Being you haven't made any pretty graphs from your data, and you only post one month of debt numbers at a time, here we go!

Definitely not a bad idea. Regular exercise is great.

Hey that's awesome, thanks!

What's a reasonable time frame to fill in more data points? Given that I try to keep all my spending on the AMEX and pay off what I put on each month there's an issue with when in the month I report debt. Previously I was reporting right before I paid anything down (the most conservative).

I guess it would be possible, albeit a time consuming pain in the rear end, to download all the transaction logs from my various accounts and assemble the day-by-day in excel.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Slow Motion posted:

Hey that's awesome, thanks!

What's a reasonable time frame to fill in more data points? Given that I try to keep all my spending on the AMEX and pay off what I put on each month there's an issue with when in the month I report debt. Previously I was reporting right before I paid anything down (the most conservative).

I guess it would be possible, albeit a time consuming pain in the rear end, to download all the transaction logs from my various accounts and assemble the day-by-day in excel.
No problem! I think the graphs are a good way to track it - or consecutive data tables, [account name] [bal month 1] [bal month 2] [etc], where each bracket is a different column, and every account will have a new row; there has to be a better name for that table.

I would do it monthly. If you get paid on the 1st, and make all your payments on the 3rd, maybe use the balance on the 3rd, or 15th, or something. Just pick one date monthly and use it, basically.

I kind of do this with my investment accounts. I know I could set them up for auto updating, but I don't want to see the 'big' swing day to day, so I manually updated every quarter. If I had a bigger balance to track, I might do it every month. For debt, I definitely would do it every month.

Alternatively, you could start using Quicken or Mint to track your spending/income/etc, and pull and export a report monthly, and then graph based on that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ I just update my graphs around the end of the month. Everything's paid but some stuff doesn't line up sometimes and it's no big deal, over the months and years it all gets sorted out.

Weinertron posted:

How much are eggs in this calculation? They're 89c a dozen near me, and if I have my math right that makes about $5.60 per pound of protein. I'm going off the estimate that each large egg has 6 grams of protein, but I'd hate to eat that many eggs.

I don't remember now, but here in Edmonton (:canada:), we buy 50 eggs at a time from Costco and, IIRC, they're $9. I think I was using numbers from my Database of Affordable Sources of Protein from back in Ontario when 30 was something like $6.

And I eat a ton of eggs. Like probably 15-25 eggs per week. That 50-egg carton lasts us about two weeks.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

This is thread is now dual-purposed to protein chat. I can do that right? It's my thread.

I buy the 50 packs of eggs too! Today my diet was: 6 eggs, 1.5 cups Greek yogurt with jam, 5 scoops (150g) whey protein, two sausages, a peanut butter jelly sandwich and a handful of very special chocolate chips. Grow muscles grow!

Slow Motion fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 6, 2013

Eden
Jul 1, 2007
One hella classy dinosaur

Slow Motion posted:

This is thread is now dual-purposed to protein chat. I can do that right? It's my thread.

I buy the 50 packs of eggs too! Today my diet was: 6 eggs, 1.5 cups Greek yogurt with jam, 5 scoops (150g) whey protein, two sausages, a peanut butter jelly sandwich and a handful of very special chocolate chips. Grow muscles grow!

Jesus Christ, eat a vegetable!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Eden posted:

Jam is not a vegetable?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

tuyop posted:

Jam is not a vegetable?

This has purple, purple's a fruit.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

rockcity posted:

This has purple, purple's a fruit.

Purple paste. Purple sammich. That's how we swole, kiddo.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Inspired by tuyop's mint graphs I hooked up my accounts and made one of my own.

NOTE: This is missing $4,000 for the bed in may.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Eden posted:

He must poo poo granite.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Slow Motion posted:

I know this isn't YLLS but you need to get some fiber in that diet ASAP (30g/day minimum). Throw some fiber powder in with your whey shakes.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
The "very special" chocolate chips must be ex-lax.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

THE RED MENACE posted:

I know this isn't YLLS but you need to get some fiber in that diet ASAP (30g/day minimum). Throw some fiber powder in with your whey shakes.

Sometimes I eat a couple heads of celery at a time. It feels like a roto-rooter for my bowels.

No good?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Don't listen to anything I saw about nutrition because I don't exercise and in pretty mediocre shape at best, but I've heard that you can blend up spinach in your smoothies and it does very little to effect the taste.

Get some green poo poo in ye.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Your diet is insane.

E: Spinach goes into the blender nicely. So does broccoli, etc. I think its delicious, but I don't like it with chocolate powder.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Slow Motion posted:

Sometimes I eat a couple heads of celery at a time. It feels like a roto-rooter for my bowels.

No good?

I recommend, for its nutritional value as well as as a sort of stoic exercise, weighing out half a pound to a full pound of broccoli florets and then eating them using your hands.

I loving hate broccoli but I've done this enough times that I now crave it pretty much daily. The burps will also make you hate your life.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

tuyop posted:

I recommend, for its nutritional value as well as as a sort of stoic exercise, weighing out half a pound to a full pound of broccoli florets and then eating them using your hands.

I loving hate broccoli but I've done this enough times that I now crave it pretty much daily. The burps will also make you hate your life.

My inner masochist just got chubs.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Ok! I got the car to the shop this morning for it's MAP sensor (not O2 like I previously reported - MAP is even easier to replace). I'm also having him change the oil and do an inspection to see if there are any other high resale value adding things to be done. The tires are on their last 5,000 miles so those might be high on the list.

I've abstained from most of my vices lately (except for labor day weekend when I probably blew $150 on bars) and opted to work, workout, or study instead.

Taken together the first half of this month is looking very good for my financial health.

By mid October I should have the double hit of the security deposit on the old house and the sale value of the car, which is all awesome! I expect around $6,500 from the two. The next really big chunk of cash will come in mid December when my bonus accruals are cleared out. I haven't received an accrual statement recently but I'll update you guys when I do. Rough guess I'm at $11,000(pretax) right now, mostly due to barely working in June and July.

While I worked great hours last month and I'm on track to work a lot this month too I'm thinking that I should devote more time to studying. Passing this exam would be, in the long term, worth tremendously more than the hours bonus I would give up in study time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What are your plans for this extra influx of cash from the sale of the car and the decreased expenses for maintaining and parking it? Also, are you subtracting the cost of the work you're getting done to the car from the future income of its sale to your math?

• Locked thread