Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
The word oval office I think is seen as worse in America than in the U.K. because in America it's purely something you call women whereas anyone can be / is a oval office in the U.K.

Swear words regarding body parts are seen as the less offensive ones in Dutch a.k.a. it's pretty normal referring to close colleagues as "lul" (dick) or "kut" (oval office) in an non-work setting whereas the only ones that are really taboo are the ones referencing disease like "kankerlijer" (cancer sufferer) and ditto "teringlijer" (TB) "tiefuslijer" (typhoid). You just don't say those.

By way of content here are some more awkward and ugly Dutch things you generally don't refer to out loud unless you want people to think badly of you:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

GrandMaster posted:

In Australia we call our mates "oval office" and we call cunts "mate".

Austrailian people are so rude to foreigners.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

Awwwww, but look at him! He's just so :smugbert:! The others, fine. But this guy is adorable.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I Am Crake posted:

The word oval office I think is seen as worse in America than in the U.K. because in America it's purely something you call women whereas anyone can be / is a oval office in the U.K.

Swear words regarding body parts are seen as the less offensive ones in Dutch a.k.a. it's pretty normal referring to close colleagues as "lul" (dick) or "kut" (oval office) in an non-work setting whereas the only ones that are really taboo are the ones referencing disease like "kankerlijer" (cancer sufferer) and ditto "teringlijer" (TB) "tiefuslijer" (typhoid). You just don't say those.

By way of content here are some more awkward and ugly Dutch things you generally don't refer to out loud unless you want people to think badly of you:

What happens when someone actually has cancer?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sad lions posted:

See popular Dutch TV series Slechte Breuk. I think they made an American version too.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Sad lions posted:

This is why you never use them because it's a pretty horrifying situation to use that word in front of a cancer patient or you know, any of the millions of people who are dealing with a friend's/relative's cancer at the moment. It's a really awful thing to say and you generally only hear it used between people that really hate each other's guts (between rivaling soccer fans, during bar brawls).

Edit - in case you meant what do you call someone who actually has cancer, you'd typically refer to them as "kankerpatient" (cancer patient) or "iemand die lijdt aan kanker" (someone who is suffering from cancer) because "kankerlijer" is exclusively a swear word and never used as a description of a cancer patient.

I Am Crake has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Sep 16, 2013

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Sad lions posted:

They are cast out into the depths of the dutch rainforest, never to be seen or heard by civilised persons again.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
Is it kind of like the difference between compassionately telling somebody "I'm sorry to hear you have cancer" and callously telling them "I'm sorry to hear you're a disease-ridden mess"? They basically mean the same thing, but one is kind and one is cruel?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I think it's more awkward that you were watching a video game tournament.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Marley Wants More posted:

Is it kind of like the difference between compassionately telling somebody "I'm sorry to hear you have cancer" and callously telling them "I'm sorry to hear you're a disease-ridden mess"? They basically mean the same thing, but one is kind and one is cruel?

I kinda took it to be "I hope you unknowingly have cancer" or something close.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Marley Wants More posted:

No, it's like the difference between saying "He's a retard!" and "He's developmentally disabled". One is meant as an insult, the other is a factual statement, though you could argue that they both mean the same thing.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Sorry for harping on, but I'm confused as to why if someone didn't actually have cancer, why would you use that word as an insult? Surely the response is "I don't have cancer"?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Calico Heart posted:

Sorry for harping on, but I'm confused as to why if someone didn't actually have cancer, why would you use that word as an insult? Surely the response is "I don't have cancer"?

"My mom isn't actually fat"
"I'm not actually gay"
etc

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Calico Heart posted:

When I moved to the Netherlands this was really odd for me. You can also o silt someone by calling her" cancer whore ".... Kanker... Hoer I think

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

This is the first time that I noticed that the zoomed in part of the picture isn't actually a zoomed in part of that picture at all. It's a completely different picture that has been zoomed in. Cause when you see a woman with flies on her but you want to take at least two pictures of that!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

Are you serious? It's an expletive that they use to add emphasis to whatever they're saying. It doesn't literally mean that they think X has or is related to cancer. That's...how swear words usually work, actually.

If you're Flemish, Dutch swear words just sound kind of funny and it's hard to take them seriously. Typhus was eradicated about a century ago, why are you still using it as an insult?

Shai-Hulud posted:

This is the first time that I noticed that the zoomed in part of the picture isn't actually a zoomed in part of that picture at all. It's a completely different picture that has been zoomed in. Cause when you see a woman with flies on her but you want to take at least two pictures of that!

How the gently caress does that even happen. I mean that in a literal, logistical sense. Why does she have a colony of flies there?

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Sep 16, 2013

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

Phlegmish posted:

How the gently caress does that even happen. I mean that in a literal, logistical sense. Why does she have a colony of flies there?

Think about it. What are flies attracted to? Now think about her personal hygiene. Please don't make me go on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The fat woman's carpet from 2 pages back was up there with neck fungus in terms of most disgusting things ever posted in this thread.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Here is a sexy lady.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Here is a sexy lady.

You liked 'Grumpy Cat!!"

Now comes 'Grumpy Gran!!"

Coming soon to a meme near you!

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

Applying that logic to the swear word "oval office" would mean you could just respond "I am not literally a vagina". "Kanker" just sounds really harsh. "Kankerlijer" not neccessarily means you think someone has cancer, neither does it mean you want someone to get it, it's just a horrible slur with no philosophy behind it.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I was hoping I would never see this photo again. :suicide:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Are you serious? It's an expletive that they use to add emphasis to whatever they're saying. It doesn't literally mean that they think X has or is related to cancer. That's...how swear words usually work, actually.

If you're Flemish, Dutch swear words just sound kind of funny and it's hard to take them seriously. Typhus was eradicated about a century ago, why are you still using it as an insult?

I like how you are so shocked at someone not understanding using cancer as an insult and then literally (in your own words) ask why someone has a colony of flies on their butt.

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Yeah but there's no meat in there, so it's actually pretty healthy.

:nws: http://31.media.tumblr.com/7ed9e5c2cf1c819cf1024c182ed16957/tumblr_msknniDfri1rqcu9eo1_500.jpg :nws: for boobs and bad plastic surgery

particle409 has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Sep 17, 2013

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

particle409 posted:

:nws: http://31.media.tumblr.com/7ed9e5c2cf1c819cf1024c182ed16957/tumblr_msknniDfri1rqcu9eo1_500.jpg :nws: for boobs and bad plastic surgery

The only acceptable response upon seeing that is "Sorry, wrong door."

Or screaming. I'll allow screaming as well.

Or both, actually, at the same time. Yes, that's the only acceptable response.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

I'm not going to look it up, but she's been in this thread before. She runs a BDSM website and her gross tits are so big they're pulling away the flesh from her chest and have formed a webbing between them. :stonk:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I Am Crake posted:

Applying that logic to the swear word "oval office" would mean you could just respond "I am not literally a vagina". "Kanker" just sounds really harsh. "Kankerlijer" not neccessarily means you think someone has cancer, neither does it mean you want someone to get it, it's just a horrible slur with no philosophy behind it.

The use of kanker as a swearword comes from the time where any kind of cancer was a death sentence, and there was a huge taboo talking about it. My granny told me that they wouldnt even say the word Kanker when talking about the disease, they said 'K'. So calling someone a kankerlijer was the most horrible thing you could say to a person, making it a good swearword. And the word just sounds so harsh with the hard K's, it rolls of the tongue beautifully.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I find these ones worse than the total loving pig slob, flies all over the arse fatties. This though :sigh:; She's trying so hard to be pretty and it's all for poo poo because nothing can hide the fact that she is uglier than a bag of bashed crabs. No amount of fancy clothes, make up, giant burgers or hair accessories will salvage that mess. The harder they try the more depressed I become.

Have something awkward instead. I assume by pony she means MLP and that is one of those pony mark things?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Dr Scoofles posted:

Have something awkward instead. I assume by pony she means MLP and that is one of those pony mark things?

Twilight Sparkle's according to google/the official MLP wiki.

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

Dr Scoofles posted:

I find these ones worse than the total loving pig slob, flies all over the arse fatties. This though :sigh:; She's trying so hard to be pretty and it's all for poo poo because nothing can hide the fact that she is uglier than a bag of bashed crabs. No amount of fancy clothes, make up, giant burgers or hair accessories will salvage that mess. The harder they try the more depressed I become.

Thats... a woman? :stonk:

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

A really ugly woman or a really purdy man I guess.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Well, that's certainly not the most embarrassing thing you could shave into your head. :shobon: A lot of guys at my high school would do that and frankly that cutie mark just looks like a comic book "POW!" bubble or something.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

particle409 posted:

Look at this guy thinking the meat is what makes burgers unhealthy.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Dr Scoofles posted:

Ugly people... aren't allowed to wear nice clothes? :confused:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

Ugly people... aren't allowed to wear nice clothes? :confused:

Nope, you (we) wear the paper bag for a hat, and binbag for clothes, and you like it, or else.

vvv pretty sure he isn't pushing anything anytime soon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dude has got to be pushing 700 pounds.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

LordArgh posted:

Look at this guy thinking the meat is what makes burgers unhealthy.

His skin looks so smooth.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

particle409 posted:

This is why goons are fat and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
When you're THAT fat, swimming or even just standing in a pool up to your neck must be like the greatest thing EVER. Imagine labouring under that crushing weight all the time but then you get in the water and it all floats and lifts away and your frame is suddenly free from the pressure. Like zero gravity.

• Locked thread