Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Wait, so full party fights aren't two tanks at all, they're "a tank and a totally bored stunbot"?

:geno:

For two very specific fights in the endgame questline, yes

And not because they have to be, but because that's the path of least resistance way that requires less from any given pug dude in df

The same groups that will howl for a paladin only to tank Chimera or HM Ifrit will also look at you blankly if you ask them to silence and exclude you from the group entirely if you are a Warrior

Glad I decided on Warrior as my tank job :eng99:

(Only an issue in the court of public opinion, not with friends obviously, but I'm even having issues getting a HM Titan invite in my FC because so few people are on it, so I'm stuck in DF waiting to get my Relic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Lizard Wizard posted:

How viable would it be to heal with a controller on my Conjurer? I kinda feel like kicking back and trying that.

EDIT: Oh my goodness when did digital downloads open up.

How do you go about ordering the game through PSN?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Ciaphas posted:

Wait, so full party fights aren't two tanks at all, they're "a tank and a totally bored stunbot"?

HM Ifrit, and Relic Chimera are. Everything else is standard tank with actual off-tank tanking adds stuff. Titan is the exception since it isn't actually a 2 tank fight at all and if someone sees 2 tanks in a Titan group then they will wail and gnash their teeth until one of the tanks leaves or they will.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow, I did a run of Haukke and we didn't have a black mage, but unexpectantly mobs kept getting slept. I guess you can cross-class sleep!? If so that's really amazing. :stare:

I guess with sleep potions every class can CC... :getin:

CNJ has Repose, which works the same way as Sleep.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow, I did a run of Haukke and we didn't have a black mage, but unexpectantly mobs kept getting slept. I guess you can cross-class sleep!? If so that's really amazing. :stare:

The whitemage and archer in my party managed to do such a great job, we mostly just fought mobs 1 at a time. I had no idea you could CC that much in this game, I thought CC was pretty minor (since like only BLM has a decent CC). If you can cross-class it as several classes, then that changes everything.

Er... internet says you can't cross-class sleep? I didn't think so.

... So what the heck was going on?! :confused:

Seriously 2 mobs would stay asleep for a really long time. I guess the archer was using bind, but what about the whitemage? It definitely wasn't the knockback. We hard 2 archers, so maybe it was just 2 archers using bind... but it seemed like the mobs were asleep, and it seemed to last for a really long time.

... was it sleep potions?! :v: I guess that works... how expensive are sleep potions?
That may be the pro strat right there, just bring a buttload of sleep potions? How long is the cooldown on sleep potions?

I guess I just got really lucky and PUG'd some pro players who were willing to burn sleep potions to get through Haukke faster? They did definitely know what they were doing, I'm used to PUGies being completely clueless.

White mages can sleep.

hipster werewolf
Mar 4, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

Blood for blood at 34 is hugely necessary, assuming your goal is most dps ever, and if it isn't I don't know why you would roll a dps class.

That looks like an awesome skill. Thanks! I'll see about grabbing the MRD cross-class skills, too.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

SoulChicken posted:

No reason to ever use Thunder 2 instead of Thunder 3, check out our BLM thread on ffgoons to see why. http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27085

Also there you will find out why KaneTW is wrong.

I've read that thread and I still prefer using Thunder 2 for most fights simply because I don't have to cast it for ages and I still tick to full MP with Thunder 2. Besides, I end most fire phases with insufficent MP to cast a Thunder 3.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Slow going, but I loving love crafting. Gonna suck when I slowly run down my leves and have to break for a week. :(

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Took them 4 days just to let me make a character and now my free time is up. Don't know if I'm gonna subscribe.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

AlmightyBob posted:

Took them 4 days just to let me make a character and now my free time is up. Don't know if I'm gonna subscribe.

You could have made it on a huge number of other servers. If you have any interest in playing a great game, you'd be a fool not to subscribe out of misplaced irritation at not being able to roll a character on a massively overpopulated server.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Verranicus posted:

How do you go about ordering the game through PSN?

Don't ask me, I'm rocking the PC version.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Ciaphas posted:

Only if your group is still learning the fight, or want to just take the easy way out. Most full party fights outside of Coil are only 1 tank encounters. Almost everything comes in predictable patterns, so if you're paying attention a single paladin tank can stun everything, while main tanking, especially if there is a support class that they can yell at on TS/VENT/Mumble to catch a stun they aren't going to be prepared for. I was talking with a friend of mine about doing hard mode Ifrit for the first time and I mentioned that I was the second tank that was just there to stun, and he sort of laughed and said that his group spent 3 wipes learning the pattern, then got the fight no problem with only 1 tank, and they've been farming it in 5 minutes after that.

Now, these guys are the "bleeding edge content" type of group, so this is to be expected, but so long as content will allow for there to be 2 tanks, with one just standing there not doing anything but stun, and there's no real DPS race to handle, then it's an easy way to clear fights.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

You could have made it on a huge number of other servers. If you have any interest in playing a great game, you'd be a fool not to subscribe out of misplaced irritation at not being able to roll a character on a massively overpopulated server.

And then have to reroll to get in the guild? No thanks.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Plenty of room here on Adamantoise. My highest queue even in primetime was 28.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

AlmightyBob posted:

"Guild" has been full since day -1 of early access. You'd be in an overflow anyways.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Did anyone else constantly crash right before the exit gates in Limsa?

Male of the Century posted:

"Guild" has been full since day -1 of early access. You'd be in an overflow anyways.

I AM in the overflow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mightygerm posted:

White mages can sleep.

Well drat, that means most CNJ/WHM are sucking it up then. :colbert:

Guess that's expected :haw:

AlmightyBob posted:

Once again I must ask, why do you come here? Just stop reading the thread, thanks.

AlmightyBob posted:

There's goon guilds on other servers.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 17, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

AlmightyBob posted:

How is your free time already up?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Wangsbig posted:

You could probably take all buttons off your hotbar except for defiance and overpower and hold aggro from basically anything a light party can throw out. Are you using abilities off cooldown? Are you using your enmity increasing combos? On different targets? What is GP? So many questions.

Let's see, where to begin:

I do use Defiance (gaining Wrath with each combo)

I dont know what you mean by using abilities "off cooldown". I use them when they are ready (and when they are needed.) I don't spam my enmity moves, but I probably do use them liberally.*

*I had to even try spamming them until I ran out of TP in Brayflox.

I thought GP was the 3rd Bar. I could be mistaken. Whichever one is the yellow/gold bar that dictates how many of my normal moves there are.

Threat/enmity moves. Like Tomahawk and Overpower? I use those.

I cycle around to get all targets. I also position myself that Flash *and* Overpower hit everything. (or should.)

As for my gear, I'd have to check. I can't load up the Lodestone on my work PC (blocked) but it's at or better than my Level 34 character. I even had some HQ Axe and armor made by goons! :)

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

orcane posted:

How is your free time already up?

I had the game at original launch and I guess I'm not as cool.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

AlmightyBob posted:

Did anyone else constantly crash right before the exit gates in Limsa?

I AM in the overflow.

No, I mean on Excalibur. There's so many people there that there's even overlfow on the One True Server, let alone the imposter servers.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

AlmightyBob posted:

I had the game at original launch and I guess I'm not as cool.

The 21 days 1.0 players got expired today, yeah.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Male of the Century posted:

No, I mean on Excalibur. There's so many people there that there's even overlfow on the One True Server, let alone the imposter servers.

Yes, I AM in that overflow.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

victrix posted:

Also Monk Silence seems like absolute garbage, unless I'm reading it wrong, they have to be in a specific stance to silence, which makes it even worse than Paladins on GCD stun in terms of reliability.

Bard Silence is excellent however.

Speaking of MNK/PGL skills, we seem to have gotten the short end of the stick with utility. I find myself never using some of them, or using them in rare and mostly unimportant circumstances.

Arm of the Destroyer, Howling Fist, Perfect Balance, and One Ilm Punch are either not timely to use, don't see much use due to a lack of content built for it, or are generally underwhelming for a skill. I almost want to put Shoulder Tackle here too, but I have found some convenience with it in AK and for muscling out/muscling in on farmers.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rerolled on Midgardormer because the server issues seem to be a thing of the past, can someone pm me with who to talk to for an invite?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AlmightyBob posted:

Yes, I AM in that overflow.

So quit yer bitching! Play the game and have fun, or don't and do something else.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
Im screwed over trying to renew my subscription after it ran out today, looking into buying a timecard off amazon (what am I doing with my life?) - does anyone know if they actually send something to you, or if all you get is an e-mail with the code?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I thought the population looked a little thinner today, first day of billing for 1.0 players it seems :toot:

Praise Tanaka, I wonder if this will cull Amdapor waiting times a bit or if the other people also endgame grinding are the most likely to subscribe

Scrubs thought demon wall was hard, try Square Enix billing :smugdog:

No More Heroes posted:

Rerolled on Midgardormer because the server issues seem to be a thing of the past, can someone pm me with who to talk to for an invite?

First, learn to read, then second head to ffgoons.com

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 17, 2013

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Killsion posted:

Titan is the exception since it isn't actually a 2 tank fight at all and if someone sees 2 tanks in a Titan group then they will wail and gnash their teeth until one of the tanks leaves or they will.

Why does the duty finder assign 2 tanks to that fight?

(purely academical question since it is not likely you will kill it with a random group but still)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Let's see, where to begin:

I do use Defiance (gaining Wrath with each combo)

I dont know what you mean by using abilities "off cooldown". I use them when they are ready (and when they are needed.) I don't spam my enmity moves, but I probably do use them liberally.*

*I had to even try spamming them until I ran out of TP in Brayflox.

I thought GP was the 3rd Bar. I could be mistaken. Whichever one is the yellow/gold bar that dictates how many of my normal moves there are.

Threat/enmity moves. Like Tomahawk and Overpower? I use those.

I cycle around to get all targets. I also position myself that Flash *and* Overpower hit everything. (or should.)

As for my gear, I'd have to check. I can't load up the Lodestone on my work PC (blocked) but it's at or better than my Level 34 character. I even had some HQ Axe and armor made by goons! :)

Some abilities are outside the 2.5s GCD, but they're usually cooldowns. The resource bars for combat classes are MP (blue, used for flash and other cross-class magic spells) and TP (yellow).

You have your 3-part enmity combo which you should be using on your main target, and the 2-part combo for Maim which is a very useful buff to keep up. You shouldn't be required to spam Tomahawk or Overpower, so there's something weird going on if you do the combos and still lose aggro to normal heals.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Freakazoid_ posted:

Speaking of MNK/PGL skills, we seem to have gotten the short end of the stick with utility. I find myself never using some of them, or using them in rare and mostly unimportant circumstances.

Arm of the Destroyer, Howling Fist, Perfect Balance, and One Ilm Punch are either not timely to use, don't see much use due to a lack of content built for it, or are generally underwhelming for a skill. I almost want to put Shoulder Tackle here too, but I have found some convenience with it in AK and for muscling out/muscling in on farmers.

Wow look how wrong this guy is. Arm of the Destroyer is spammable AoE, great for FATEs, and can silence which is helpful in Coil. Howling Fist is free extra damage, if you aren't throwing it in on cooldown you're doing it wrong. Perfect Balance is how you should start every boss fight ever, it builds Greased Lightning stacks super quick. I can also be used during certain fights where you're forced to letting your GL stacks fall off. One Ilm Punch currently has very minor uses but please look forward to it being strong as hell in PvP.

Not to even mention how insanely useful Dragon Kick, Steel Peak, and Mantra are in all content.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Killsion posted:

HM Ifrit, and Relic Chimera are. Everything else is standard tank with actual off-tank tanking adds stuff. Titan is the exception since it isn't actually a 2 tank fight at all and if someone sees 2 tanks in a Titan group then they will wail and gnash their teeth until one of the tanks leaves or they will.

If someone is wailing about two tanks in Titan when random queuing they are a loving hell idiot, also they will never beat Titan for multiple, self evident reasons, one being that the party composition duty finder enforces is not ideal.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Have my WHM at 50 but thinking about leveling another class this weekend for support abilities. Should I go THM or ACN first? I've heard THM is good for the swiftcast but that's all I've heard about either of the classes abilities. Which would be more useful initially for WHM? I'm guessing ACN but I got mine to 15 and it was terrible to play, much rather do THM if I can justify it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Zaphod42 posted:

The whitemage and archer in my party managed to do such a great job, we mostly just fought mobs 1 at a time. I had no idea you could CC that much in this game, I thought CC was pretty minor (since like only BLM has a decent CC). If you can cross-class it as several classes, then that changes everything.

Er... internet says you can't cross-class sleep? I didn't think so.

... So what the heck was going on?! :confused:

Seriously 2 mobs would stay asleep for a really long time. I guess the archer was using bind, but what about the whitemage? It definitely wasn't the knockback. We hard 2 archers, so maybe it was just 2 archers using bind... but it seemed like the mobs were asleep, and it seemed to last for a really long time.

... was it sleep potions?! :v: I guess that works... how expensive are sleep potions?
That may be the pro strat right there, just bring a buttload of sleep potions? How long is the cooldown on sleep potions?

I guess I just got really lucky and PUG'd some pro players who were willing to burn sleep potions to get through Haukke faster? They did definitely know what they were doing, I'm used to PUGies being completely clueless.

White Mages have Repose.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Boten Anna posted:

I thought the population looked a little thinner today, first day of billing for 1.0 players it seems :toot:

Praise Tanaka, I wonder if this will cull Amdapor waiting times a bit or if the other people also endgame grinding are the most likely to subscribe

Scrubs thought demon wall was hard, try Square Enix billing :smugdog:

First, learn to read, then second head to ffgoons.com

I checked their forums and people are having a problem even getting SE to take their money, so it's people that aren't going to pay PLUS people that CAN'T pay.

EDIT: and it turns out I'm one of them. Just gave in and tried to add a months worth of crysta to my account, got this:

An error has occurred.
Please confirm the status of any relevant options and then try again.
For details, please contact the Square Enix Support Center.
(Error code: 401)

supercrooky
Sep 12, 2006

No More Heroes posted:

Anyone from the guild list can do so, we aren't serious business.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

If someone is wailing about two tanks in Titan when random queuing they are a loving hell idiot, also they will never beat Titan for multiple, self evident reasons, one being that the party composition duty finder enforces is not ideal.

I've seen precisely one report of a DF kill on HM Titan.

I have lots of practice on the fight up to p5 at least :shepface:

The really really stupid thing is that many of the groups I've been in have had what it takes. PLD mt, War dpsing, all dps and healers dodging everything correctly, heart dying fast even without charging a lb. But then one wipe to mountain breaker or the final triple row of bomb patterns with landslide that people aren't familiar with and welp, wrap it up kids, time to requeue.

Totally baffling.

I mean there are plenty of groups I've been in that have dps or healers with like 2.8k health and no prayer of getting through p5, but I'll chalk that up to 'hey, it's the next mission, I did Garuda, let's do it!', and that's by no means the majority from what I've seen.

It'll probably be clearable in a few weeks time in DF, partly because by that point everyone queuing will be able to do p1-p4 in their loving sleep, and partly because people will have naturally geared up a bit more over time.

Otherwise, save yourself the trouble and do it with friends, your FC, your linkshells, or a pub group from your server in that order. And don't roll a Warrior :haw:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

AlmightyBob posted:

I checked their forums and people are having a problem even getting SE to take their money, so it's people that aren't going to pay PLUS people that CAN'T pay.

EDIT: and it turns out I'm one of them. Just gave in and tried to add a months worth of crysta to my account, got this:

An error has occurred.

Yup, I haven't heard good things. This is why I loaded my account up with Crysta ages ago; I've been playing SE MMOs too long to believe the first day of billing will go well. It's the little things, like that you can't pay in advance to get the veteran rewards that inspire continued confidence :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Boten Anna posted:

Ok, I am that idiot apparently, thanks for telling me. I take solace in the fact that the designers of the fight or the duty finder are even bigger idiots than me and clearly incompetent at their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

AlmightyBob posted:

An error has occurred.

There's a ton of payment issues. If you're in America some cards just won't take. You can however purchase Crysta from the SE website using UltimatePay, which will let you bill through PayPal skipping your card. It's pretty hosed, but it works. There are also other situations like if you have a non-standard address tied to your cards (Such as an APO) it is literally impossible to pay because their billing system doesn't support those. You can, however get one of the Ultimate Game Cards from a gamestop or though a legit authorized online dealer of the cards, and then use them to buy Crysta. Or, if you're in Europe, just go to your local electronics store and pick up a FFXIV ARR 60 day card.

• Locked thread