Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm willing to accept any perceived shallowness of the goat gag simply because it's a great gag. I've seen that movie twice with people who've never seen it before, and every time there's this perfect 3 second pause in between when all three goats are onscreen and when everybody collectively gets it and laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The film is certainly about the death of myth to an extent, but I don't see the rationalizing of mythological creatures as being debasing. It's not "Oh, I guess they're real," it's "Wow, holy poo poo, can you believe that they're actually real?!" And in spite of all the physiological details or whatever that they give the trolls, they still remain totally inexplicable ("Oh, they can grow multiple heads and smell the blood of Christians. How? I dunno, because they're trolls.") They never stop being figures of wonder, even when they die.

Actually the head thing gets explained in a faux-scientific way just like the sunlight (the Christian blood thing is the only bit left mysterious). I agree with SMG that the core ideas about sucking all the magic out of the world by paving it and covering it in powerlines and confining wild animals to preserves calls for something more melancholy, which the film sort of goes for at the end but it's out of nowhere and, like most of the film, shot in such a lame way that it doesn't come together. It's pretty sad that they go through two camera operators and the style of the cinematography doesn't even change, because those characters, like most of the others, have no personality. Which probably contributed to how funny I didn't find any part of it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That all being said, Trollhunter's not awful. Like, it's a bit of a letdown but it's no Frankenstein's Army.

Don't watch Frankenstein's Army. Unless you like cosplay showreels or the costumed staffers at Six Flags Frightfest and the like. It starts off promising, but goddamn. It's like Exhibit A in the importance of putting an actual actor in a monster suit, and the total lack of well-choreographed action and cinematography during the monster scenes only exacerbates things.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
I'm doing the horror movie a day challenge for October this year (also did it last year). My only rule is they have to be movies I have never seen before.

Anyway, I've been thinking about the Nightmare on Elm Street series. Unlike the F13 series, which I have seen most of (except Jason Goes to Hell, but I am told that is BAD BAD BAD SHOULD AVOID), I've only seen NOES 1, 2, and Freddy vs. Jason. I loved NOES 1, 2 was hilariously terrible, and FvJ was awesome. Are any of the others worth watching? A few people have talked about the documentary style one (New Nightmare, I think?).

I know there is also the Never Sleep Again commentary on the series, but I am sure it would spoil the movies I haven't seen, so unless they are really not worth watching, I am going to wait on that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: Dream Warriors and Wes Craven's New Nightmare are both excellent. New Nightmare isn't exactly "documentary style" so much as it's the 8 1/2 of horror movies.

The rest (bar the original, of course) are pretty bad.

edit: it's only just now that I realized you can simplify the rule to "Only watch Freddy movies with Heather Langenkamp in them."

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 17, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That all being said, Trollhunter's not awful. Like, it's a bit of a letdown but it's no Frankenstein's Army.

Don't watch Frankenstein's Army. Unless you like cosplay showreels or the costumed staffers at Six Flags Frightfest and the like. It starts off promising, but goddamn. It's like Exhibit A in the importance of putting an actual actor in a monster suit, and the total lack of well-choreographed action and cinematography during the monster scenes only exacerbates things.

Frankenstein's Army is a really bad movie that's just so goody that I'm not capable of disliking it. I mean I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying, it's just in the end it still made me grin like a idiot.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: Dream Warriors and Wes Craven's New Nightmare are both excellent. New Nightmare isn't exactly "documentary style" so much as it's the 8 1/2 of horror movies.

The rest (bar the original, of course) are pretty bad.

edit: it's only just now that I realized you can simplify the rule to "Only watch Freddy movies with Heather Langenkamp in them."

I pretty much agree with this assessment, although 4 and 5 have some pretty good kills. I still have fond memories of part 5 for making me get sick in the middle of my mom's wedding.

Freddy's Dead is just...real bad. Like, he's just a murderous Bugs Bunny.

Also, Jason Goes to Hell IS real awful, but I actually kinda enjoyed the first...10 minutes? or so. It's also interesting insofar as they tried their damnedest to create a (real, real stupid) mythology for Jason.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Senator Giroux posted:

Also, Jason Goes to Hell IS real awful, but I actually kinda enjoyed the first...10 minutes? or so. It's also interesting insofar as they tried their damnedest to create a (real, real stupid) mythology for Jason.

Yeah, Jason Goes To Hell is mostly lame but the opening scene is one of the best moments in the series.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

axleblaze posted:

Frankenstein's Army is a really bad movie that's just so goody that I'm not capable of disliking it. I mean I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying, it's just in the end it still made me grin like a idiot.

I do think it would be excusable if it were funnier. There's a pretty clear Human Centipede influence (to the point of seeming like a ripoff), and it seems like they tried to coast on the basic concept - like they could transform the badly-shot action-horror into black comedy through the sheer wackiness of the premise.

But as an example of where it falls short, there's an early shot of a Nazi soldier fused into the seat of a big, rusted artillery cannon in a clear reference to Alien's space jockey. They then proceed to show the monsters more in one film than in every piece of alien media combined.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Someone in here said that if you've seen the trailer you've seen everything worthwhile in the movie, which sucks because the trailer is kind of neat.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DeimosRising posted:

Someone in here said that if you've seen the trailer you've seen everything worthwhile in the movie, which sucks because the trailer is kind of neat.

The trailer's a happy medium, since the film itself is neatly divided into two halves - essentially before and after the monsters appear. The former half is a pretty decent mockumentary about the making of a soviet propaganda film, with a little abstract sci-fi stuff mixed in. The latter half is a godawful failure on every level. It's terribly shot and, worse, the actors start talking. The trailer conceals most of this by just showing flashes of the creatures.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Watched Lake Mungo. That was very good. Incredibly goddamn sad, but very good. That poor girl. :smith:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Only watch Nightmare movies with Heather Langenkamp. Only watch Halloween movies with Jamie Lee Curtis (as the main character).

e: and Season of the Witch, obvi.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, as far as Halloween goes, 1, 2, H20, and then for the love of hell stop (well, watch Season of the Witch too, but that has nothing to do with the rest of the series).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Only watch Nightmare movies with Heather Langenkamp. Only watch Halloween movies with Jamie Lee Curtis (as the main character).

e: and Season of the Witch, obvi.

I feel like "Only watch the first Halloween" is perfectly serviceable advise.

A couple of 'em are fairly watchable but you're not really missing much by not watching any of the Halloween sequels.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I feel like "Only watch the first Halloween" is perfectly serviceable advise.

A couple of 'em are fairly watchable but you're not really missing much by not watching any of the Halloween sequels.

I'd say the second is pretty solid and watching them back to back is fun. Three is good too, but not in the sense of the first two.

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet
Watch every horror movie. They practically all have something serviceable. Even the later Nightmare sequels.

I've been trying to finish the Hellraiser series lately, and I just watched Hellraiser: Hellseeker last night. I know Inferno is generally considered the only decent sequel after II, but I actually enjoyed the movie. It uses the Cenobites very sparingly, meaning they aren't turned into one note jokes (cough Hell on Earth cough) while being a relatively compelling psychological drama. The acting isn't good enough to ever get the audience to sympathize with the main character, but in the end it's hard to feel like he deserved what he got. I also thought it was a good send off for the character of Kirsty, who continues to be a heroine, but in a darker sense that fits the series better than her pure virtue in the first two films.

Edit: I'd totally watch a TV series where Kirsty is a vigilante crime fighter who catches perps by luring them to Pinhead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'd say the second is pretty solid and watching them back to back is fun. Three is good too, but not in the sense of the first two.

Halloween II is worth watching for its introduction of Ben Traymer, the guy Laurie admits to crushing on in the first movie. He's run over by an ambulance before he ever appears on screen.

Halloween 4 wasn't great, but the makers did have the interesting idea of making a Slasher movie where people wouldn't do the stupid things that get you killed (investigating that noise, and so on) but they'd get got anyway.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

tickle monster posted:

Watch every horror movie. They practically all have something serviceable. Even the later Nightmare sequels.

As someone who has watched almost every horror movie I'ma have to disagree with this.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I just cannot allow bashing of some of the Halloween sequels, in particular Halloween 4. While it's not a perfect Halloween movie (the original holds that title), it still is a very watchable, upper tier 80s slasher. First, it's impossibly atmospheric. The opening titles with all the worn down farm equipment and decaying decorations, Alan Howarth's whispery, windy version of the title theme playing... so good. Second, Michael Myers looks legitimately menacing and scary. Yes, people make questionable decisions, like poor Bucky at the power station, but I don't know anyone that doesn't investigate a loud noise in real life . I do this all the time, it's usually the wind knocking over books from an open window, rarely does a masked killer strike me down. I recommend watching all the Halloweens, there's something good about them all. Although H20 is impossibly overrated. There's not enough Myers, Jamie Lee spends way too much time crying about being a alcoholic, and there is way too much LL Cool J reading erotica to his wife over the phone. The last 20 minutes are great though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like the Frankenstein reference in Halloween 4, and Danielle Harris is unusually well cast but other than that, what's the point?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nightmare on Elm Street 3 is the best one. Darabont's influence is ridiculously obvious now, and it's one of the best mixes of horror, fun, and imagination ever. Nightmare on Elm Street 4 is fantastic fan service, and a great statement on Freddy's impact at the time. It was a bright, happy film made for kids, with the most and some of the best dream sequences in the series. 5 is a letdown after 4, although having a couple of bright spots. I've come to appreciate the silliness of 6 - it's a dumb sendoff to the 80s slasher craze. New Nightmare was a rough draft for Scream.

Halloween 1 is great. Halloween 2 is stupid and is a sad Ft13th ripoff that's worse than most of the Friday the 13ths. Its saving grace is having Plesance in the movie - this is kind of nullified by having Curtis drugged and useless for the whole movie. Halloween 3 is fascinatingly awesome. 4 has a few shining spots, and would be one of the better Ft13ths, but it's a Halloween movie, so, meh. 5 is terrible, 6 is terrible, H20 kind of returns to form, and is "ok" as a 90s style take on the first. 8 is hilariously stupid.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
8 is flat nonsense and is all the better for it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So after I did my workout, I turned the TV to Outer Limits and immediately see the guy from Cube, in a big Cube looking deathtrap, while stuff flies around and kills the few people he was arguing with (just like in Cube). Then I check, and yup, it is the guy from Cube. That's hilariously lazy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Busta Rhymes tells Michael to leave, and he does. Dangertainment!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The dude that attacks Mike Myers with salt and pepper is also a highlight.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

As someone who has watched almost every horror movie I'ma have to disagree with this.

Yeah, this. Seriously, I love horror movies but my love for them has lead me to watch some of the worst movies I've ever seen. The fact that at least twice times I've thought I found the worst found footage movie and have later found something much worse is depressing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I saw Hallowe'en: Resurrection in a cinema as the only member of the audience. Great times.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
A movie where Busta Rhymes defeats the antagonist using martial arts is a movie I would watch, no matter how terrible it is.

Shame about Laurie, though. That was a really dumb choice.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

I saw Hallowe'en: Resurrection in a cinema as the only member of the audience. Great times.

I'm starting to think there's a whole thread to be made about seeing movies as the only person in the theater because the two or three times it's happened to me, no matter what the movie is, I've always felt like I liked it more than I would if people were around.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Darko posted:

I've come to appreciate the silliness of 6 - it's a dumb sendoff to the 80s slasher craze.

Freddy's Dead feels like a dumb knock-off of a Nightmare on Elm Street movie, like if Full Moon decided to try and make a Nightmare sequel. It's for that very reason that I enjoyed it when I was an impressionable kid and still kind of like it now. I like it in the same way I like movies like Return of the Killer Tomatoes, TerrorVision, Motel Hell, Child's Play 2, etc. It's in no way a scary movie, but it's entertaining enough to make a good Halloween Season film to toss on at a party as background noise.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you're ever getting the urge to watch a Halloween sequel, just watch Terror Train instead. It stars Jamie Lee Curtis, it's shot by John Alcott, and it's better than any Halloween movie that's not the first.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, this. Seriously, I love horror movies but my love for them has lead me to watch some of the worst movies I've ever seen. The fact that at least twice times I've thought I found the worst found footage movie and have later found something much worse is depressing.

I was amused by this in my searches through various found footage film lists. So many that I've never heard of, and for good reason apparently. Is there anything on this list worth watching that hasn't been discussed yet? I don't remember seeing any mentions of Camera Phone or The Garlock Incident or The Cohasset Snuff Film despite their fairly high ratings. Not that imdb ratings mean much (or anything, really).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I like Halloween: H20 because it's the Scream inspired horror movie that got what worked in Scream. Stuff like Urban Legend and I Know What You Did Last Summer went for the aesthetic of Scream which was light on the grotesqueness which defined the 80s and heavy on attractive actors and that 90s sheen. H20 looks like Scream as well and has it's attractive young people who mostly hamper the movie, but it has a strong, likable protagonist and has the horror stand in for trauma that the protagonist needs to overcome.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It also has absolutely the best possible ending for the series. Like, full stop, end, there's no need for any more movies. Cease. Roll credits.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've seen this mentioned a few times, but what is meant by saying a horror movie is "Tumblr-ish"? Like I know what Tumblr IS, but I don't use it so I don't know what kind of vibe it gives off.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

sticklefifer posted:

I've seen this mentioned a few times, but what is meant by saying a horror movie is "Tumblr-ish"? Like I know what Tumblr IS, but I don't use it so I don't know what kind of vibe it gives off.

At a guess, somebody's mad that they got race issues or feminism in their horror movie.

It might help to know what movie they were talking about.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

I like Halloween: H20 because it's the Scream inspired horror movie that got what worked in Scream. Stuff like Urban Legend and I Know What You Did Last Summer went for the aesthetic of Scream which was light on the grotesqueness which defined the 80s and heavy on attractive actors and that 90s sheen. H20 looks like Scream as well and has it's attractive young people who mostly hamper the movie, but it has a strong, likable protagonist and has the horror stand in for trauma that the protagonist needs to overcome.

And, like Scream, it has a lot of fun little references that weave their way into the movie as commentary, reference, or humor, which Urban Legend and I Know miss. Therefore, even if it's not "scary," there's still enough wit in it to be amusing, at least. This being my favorite, of course, which works on multiple levels (listen to the score in this part too):

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
My favorite part of H20 is the CGI mask.

It also features Joseph Gordon-Levitt getting an ice skate to the face, which is interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm starting to think there's a whole thread to be made about seeing movies as the only person in the theater because the two or three times it's happened to me, no matter what the movie is, I've always felt like I liked it more than I would if people were around.

It's not the film, it's the extra thrill of having a cinema all to yourself - like a private screening just for you.

I tend to find that when I'm in the mood for a Hallowe'en movie that isn't Hallowe'en, I go for The Fog. John Houseman sets up the mood brilliantly, and it's the first movie in which Janet Leigh and Jamie Lee Curtis both get a credit. Though they didn't share a scene; that didn't happen until Hallowe'en H20. (Which means that to horror fans The Fog is The Godfather Part II and H20 is Heat.)