Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
So exciting, the end is actually vaguely within sight :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

pun pundit posted:

I wonder how many dorfbux has disappeared from the betting pool due to this last hiatus. I only had 208 dorfbux to bet with, and the bets so far are kind of low overall. Of course, it hasn't been long at all since betting opened.

A lot of the leaders on the betting board still have fighters in the tournament, and haven't bet yet:

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_betting_leaders.php?4

I'm holding out hope that when they see the new replies to this thread, they'll realize the new round has started, and jump in and place their bets.

I suppose I could make an opt-in feature on the site to send out e-mail notifications for this sort of thing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I do hope Dies Horribly wins. That would make no sense whatsoever.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I do hope Dies Horribly wins. That would make no sense whatsoever.

Makes perfect sense: read it as a description of his abilities rather than a statement of his actions. :v:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Hey, I totally forgot that I already inherited a fighter this tournament!

Time to bet everything on Horza the... troll fighter, huh? This has a 50% chance of being such a letdown after so much time. :suicide:

Pure Kamikaze
Aug 4, 2008
I put it all on McGruff! Either I win spectacularly or I go out in a brilliant orgy of doom!

Pure Kamikaze fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 9, 2013

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I'm betting it all on goblins!

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
I've just spent most of the evening marathoning this thread. Let me say, it is amazing. I don't know if there'll be a new season, but I can at least get in on some betting here in the final rounds. Considering my luck, I've just jinxed an awful lot of fighters.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

I'm betting it all on goblins!

Always bet on DukeGoblins.

Goblin Supremacy.

Bets placed, placed 10K on Dies to win, and equally distributed the rest to the other two Goblin fighters. Good luck everybody! (except you, Pip!)

People need to put money on Pip. Think of the payout!

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 9, 2013

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RickVoid posted:

Shhhh, dont tell people my secret!

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

RickVoid posted:

Always bet on DukeGoblins.

Goblin Supremacy.

Bets placed, placed 10K on Dies to win, and equally distributed the rest to the other two Goblin fighters. Good luck everybody! (except you, Pip!)

Pip is going to win this tourney, though. I've figured out the RNG and assigned stats accordingly.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Woo longshot bets placed! Now to hope that at least 2 of them pull through with lucky bone chips.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Went all in on my newly acquired fighter, Dr Stranglelove. Figure this will either be my last great hurrah or an amazing comeback.

Amyclas
Mar 9, 2013

Is this still active?

registration pending...

Amyclas fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 17, 2013

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Amyclas posted:

Is this still active?

registration pending...

It's still "active" although the current tournament has been closing out at a pretty slow rate. Jazzimus Prime has done a great job picking it up again but we still don't have a consistent update schedule.

I believe Jazzimus is the one approving new registrations as well but be aware that you won't be able to participate until the next tournament, assuming there is still interest in another. I'm pretty sure Jazzimus is planning on running another after this.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Bets placed. Glad I still got in on this even though I was just afk for two weeks!

I hope there is another tournament. I want to see a gremlin or kobold get past round 2 for once.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Got my bets in. I want to see the new tourney for the new version, particularly since multi-limbed creatures such as antwomen will get a huge boost in their AI, but the various other combat changes should be interesting too.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
Please resurrect the ARENA, only blood can satisfy our urges!!!!!

also my guy is naked with a sword and shield and some fancy boots he's cool

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Burginator posted:

Please resurrect the ARENA, only blood can satisfy our urges!!!!!

also my guy is naked with a sword and shield and some fancy boots he's cool

Well, okay. If one guy who posted a month ago insists, I guess I can.

---

:siren: Round Four, Match One :siren:

Match One, Elizabeth Bennet (Dirty Frank) vs. Horza (ZeeToo)

Hello again and WELCOME to the Arena Challenge Semi-Quarterfinals! The winner of this match will move on to the quarterfinals as one of the final eight survivors of the tournament!

Did Jazzimus really have to bother me for this? I was scheduled to give a live political rant on Ora-TV, and simulcast on YouTube, about how the Democrats and Republicans have both failed America, and that the true Independents like myself are the only hope. And then I'm dragged away for this.

Well, that's wonderful and all, but this isn't the forum for that. In the left corner --

Okay, okay, let's get this over with. Oh, and by the way, vote for me, if you're a registered American voter. Remember my slogan, "A professional wrestler who wears a feather boa in public is still a better choice than what the establishment gives you."

Tell it to Alex Jones.

I already have. He's a great American who isn't afraid to tell the truth. Tune in to his internet radio show at AYCH TEE TEE PEE COLON DOUBLE-FORWARD-SLASH...

Enough politics. And now, for the introductions!

In the left corner, Elizabeth Bennet is a female goblin wielding a steel battleaxe! She's wearing a full set of steel armor -- a steel helm, steel mail shirt, steel gauntlets, and steel high boots!

And you can't get much better protected than that, Gino! At least, not unless you're prepared to spend a whole lot more money than most gladiators have access to.

And in the right corner, Horza the troll wears a steel helm, mail shirt, and boots, along with iron gauntlets, but has no weapons other than the claws, horns, and muscles that Armok gave him!

And that approach can serve you well in the early rounds, Gino, but we're in the semi-quarterfinals now! I'm not sure that Horza, for all his muscle, can get through that armor!

I'm inclined to agree with you there, Jesse. And there's the bell, and they're off!

And the foes are sizing each other up in the center ring!

I can see the headlines now, Gino. "Lizzie Bennet took an axe, and gave old Horza forty whacks!"

Don't get ahead of yourself, Jesse, nobody has even landed a blow yet. But Elizabeth charges, and swings her axe, and hits! But she only scores a bruise through the troll's armor!

And Horza swings his mighty fist in a counter, but only hits the air!

And Elizabeth counter-counters, and hacks off Horza's right tusk, which goes flying through the air! The crowd goes wild!

We just might finally see a little fighter win one tonight!

Horza backs off with an angry look in his eyes!

He still has one tusk, and it looks like he's ready to charge with it!

And he does just that! He raises his head and gores Elizabeth's right hand with his tusk, but she is well protected by her armor!

Oh, but look at this! She lost her balance, Gino, and the big guy knocked her to the ground!

And Horza tries to grapple Elizabeth while she's on the ground, but she slips away and gets back to her feet!

And she still has a big advantage here, Gino, with her armor-piercing weapon, in spite of the fact that he's three times her size.

But Horza charges immediately before Elizabeth can get turned around... and his horns find a weak spot in her armor, and break through, stabbing her in the middle of the upper back!

Uh-oh. Elizabeth just fell to the arena floor, and she can barely even move now. That was a one-in-a-million shot, Gino. I can't believe that horns could beat steel, but there you have it.

It looks like Horza has severed the upper cervical vertibrae in Elizabeth's spinal column, rendering all of Elizabeth's appendages useless!

I think you mean he broke her spine and she's paralyzed, but we all know how much you love those big words.

Horza moves in to finish the fight, but he doesn't have any weapons... so this is going to take a while and will probably be pretty cruel.

Now he's grappling and punching at her again, but she's really well protected by her steel armor.

Finally he grabs the left leg and twists it, shattering the knee!

Oh yes, he just evaporated the kneeimus legimus, and is moving on to the right ankle-um bankle-um! Am I doing it right, Gino?

Will you stop that? Meanwhile, Elizabeth tries to land a headbutt, which is all she can do at this point.

And Elizabeth is nearly helpless as Horza continues to attack! She continues to try and deliver headbutts, but Horza wisely stands out of range while he works on the vital organs of the midsection and torso!

And that's about as wise as a troll can get, Gino. Seriously, they're idiots.

Horza throws a series of punches at Elizabeth's midsection, finally shattering a rib and thrusting it right through the lung!

And just how did you know that?

Dwarfhalla arenas all have an overhead X-ray machine over each arena floor, sending its output to a terminal right here in the media booth. You should take a look at it sometime.

And does it give the scientific name for every body part, or are you just making that part up?

Hey, if you were either too lazy or stupid to study anatomy, that's just too bad for you. Oh, and while we were talking, Horza grabbed Elizabeth's head and he, uh... he started gouging the eye sockets and fish-hooking the cheeks and nostrils, just to keep it in terms you might understand.

But she's still not dead, and she's still trying to fight back with head-butts.

But he's still keeping mostly out of range! Except for his arms and hands that are gouging the eyes.

I hate these fights where one fighter is crippled right at the beginning, and we have to watch it to the bitter end.

I've heard a lot of Arena Challenge fans are attracted to the cruelty.

I have no problems with cruelty, but I really like a fight that is exciting all the way to the end.

Horza continues striking, breaking small bones through Elizabeth's armor here and there, but is having a hard time doing further damage.

Is it over yet?

No, but Horza is still trying and failing to land a killing blow and... Elizabeth has stopped moving.

I think she suffocated from the punctured lung earlier.

Our X-ray output here in the booth shows that you are correct, Jesse.

How did Dwafhalla get that kind of technology anyway?

Uh... the magic of narrative, I guess. Thanks for watching everyone, we'll see you next time here on Arena Challenge!

Combat Log

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 16, 2013

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
And that's still only the second longest arena fight I've won. :shepface:

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Elizabeth, nooooooo! :cry:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: Round Four, Match Two :siren:

Match Two, Picnic Raider (Monk E) vs. Clown Baby (longgonejohn)

Hello again, and welcome to another edition of Arena Challenge! I'm Al Michaels, here with my colleague John Madden here in Bronzestabbed Colosseum!

Yeah, and I'm kind of hoping that here, that right here tonight, that the winning streak of the big guys will come to an end. But tonight, it's, it's a huge, big half-tiger half-man tiger-man guy against a tiny little ant... person... hybrid... thing, so even though I'd kind of like to see Picnic Raider win here tonight, I, I don't think she has much of a chance.

And let's introduce the fighters! In the left corner, the antwoman Picnic Raider wields a copper flail, and holds a small wooden buckler-shield in one of her other hands!

And I'm sure that she's just about as skilled with that weapon of hers as she can possibly be, and, and let's hope so, because she's got her work cut out for her, because, uh, because the small fighters just haven't had a whole lot of success lately.

And in the right corner, the tigerman Clown Baby wields a steel halberd in one hand and a wooden shield in his other hand, and wears a copper helmet and a set of leather armor!

And uh, and you see, this here, this, I, uh, I, I, uh... I just don't like this. This just looks like a mismatch to me. Because, uh... because Picnic Raider is all prepped and suited up to be fighting an opponent that's wearing heavy armor, with that heavy flail that she has there, and, and she's up against a tigerman four times her size that's wearing light armor. I mean, I think that Picnic Raider suited up right for this tournament, you know, given that you don't ever know who you're going to be up against in the next round, but it looks like she really got a crummy luck of the draw here. Now, of course, you never know what's going to happen in an Arena Challenge fight, but it really looks like the odds are against her here.

And there's the bell, and there they go, charging to the center of the arena, their weapons in hand!

And as soon as they meet at the center of the arena, Clown Baby swings his halberd, and chops off one of Picnic Raider's off-hands!

And this, this, this right here is what I was worried was going to happen. You have a big guy, with a big weapon, up against a little fighter, and even with all the skills that Picnic Raider here has, you know, it's just that, that... it's just that the, uh, the laws of physics are not really in her favor, and, and she really needed to have a good start here, and, and uh, and... she didn't get that.

And Clown charges, and knocks Picnic Raider to the ground, then stabs with his halberd, and severs another hand!

And you see, and he, uh, he, the Tigerman there, Clown Baby, he... he swung his weapon there, and chopped one of her other hands off. Now, the ant-people have four hands, and Picnic Raider there, she... she was lucky enough not to have her shield hand or her weapon hand cut off, but she's bleeding blood or ant-blood or ichor or whatever it is that those folks have, and that takes a lot out of a fighter. But more importantly, she hasn't blocked or dodged a shot yet from Clown Baby, and she's already lost two hands, and it looks like it's just going to get harder from here for her to uh, to stop any of those tigerman attacks.

Clown Baby keeps wailing away at Picnic Raider, who dodges and rolls to her feet again!

And I guess the one thing in her advantage here is that she's only lost her two off-hands, so with some luck she might pull this out, but I kind of doubt it.

Clown Baby knocks Picnic Raider to the arena floor again, and chops off an arm!

And, and even though these ant-people have four arms, you can't just bleed like this forever. Or ooze, or lose whatever, uh, whatever bodily fluids that these ant-human hybrid types have.

You're right, John, as Picnic Raider tries to defend but finally bleeds... or oozes, or ichors... out, but the point of it is that this fight is over!

So, after this fight, is there any hope for the smaller fighters?

Well, uh, I think, I think that there still is. I mean, the next fight that we have on Arena Challenge, uh, the next fight is a human against a serpent man. So either way, something smaller than a werewolf is gonna win, and go on to the round of eight. And after that, the very last fight of this round has that goblin Dies Horribly, and you can never count him out, because he's been beating the odds the whole way through this thing, and, and it wouldn't surprise me if, uh, if he continues to do so.

Good point. For John Madden, this is Al Michaels, saying good night from Bronzestabbed Colosseum!

Combat Log

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 16, 2013

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
Holy poo poo. Can anybody that knows how the game mechanics work say just how lucky Horza was there?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Next tournament, I think we should be allowed to use the points system to buy an extra fighter of the same race - with tiny gladiators being reasonably cheap and big ones being prohibitively expensive.

E: They would fight at the same time, I mean, not sequentially.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Wait, this started back in 2011?

Anyway, I am glad that it's back, even though I got killed back in round 3.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ooof, that bastard Troll.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Oh wow, that loving tusk.

Next tournament (if any) should probably have weight classes.

Glad to see this back, though, and the commentary is hilarious.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So we back for a while here Jazz, or did you just get some free time to pump these out? Every time I think this has finally died, it comes back. Loving it.

Did you see what that tigerman did there people? And who is Dies Horribly's next opponent? That's right. So clearly you should put all your money on Pip the Tigerman.

*Resumes counting his piles and piles of dwarfbucks.*

Maugrim posted:

Next tournament, I think we should be allowed to use the points system to buy an extra fighter of the same race - with tiny gladiators being reasonably cheap and big ones being prohibitively expensive.

E: They would fight at the same time, I mean, not sequentially.

Team Battles would be really interesting if we ever do another tournament. Assuming we ever finish this one. I mean, it's only been two years. It could happen.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 16, 2013

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

RickVoid posted:

So we back for a while here Jazz, or did you just get some free time to pump these out?

I'll try to get a couple more matches in this weekend, and hopefully I can even get the tournament done by the end of the year.

Or at the very least get this round done by the end of the year

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
More glory and bloodshed for Armok.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
Yes yes yes more arena fighting!!!

P.S. gently caress tigermen

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Burginator posted:

P.S. gently caress tigermen

But Pip is a tigerman and he will win all... :(

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

CommaToes posted:

But Pip is a tigerman and he will win all... :(

Which is why everyone should place their dwarfbucks on him!

All of it.

All the dwarfbucks.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
You dumbass, this will never work.

Ahem, heh heh heh. Excuse me, Jazzimus, sir?

Hmmm? What the gently caress do you two idiots want?

Um, sorry to bother you, sir, heh heh, but um, weren't you going to, um, do a fight tonight and stuff?

I'm busy.

Busy doing what, sir? Heh heh.

Busy watching football. It can wait another day or two. Dammit, Manning, can't you throw it to Welker a little more? My fantasy team is on the brink of elimination here.

Um, I, uh, understand you have other pri- uh, pri-or-ities, sir. But, um, me and Butthead could, um, be the pronouncers of the fight if you're too busy, heh heh.

Don't be stupid. Nobody wants to see or hear that.

Uh, well, um... maybe they do! Did you ever think of that, heh heh?

No they don't.

See? I told you, dumbass. Let's go.

NO WAIT, Butthead! Maybe we can, like, um, poll the audience or something.

Huh huh huh huh huh. You said "poll".

Oh yeah, heh heh. Hehehehehe!

Arena Challenge is serious business, and nobody wants to see you two morons loving it up. But have it your way then... we'll ask the viewers, and when you hear what they have to say, don't say I didn't tell you so.

This is gonna be cool, huh huh huh!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Shuddup, dumbass! That wasn't funny!

Heh, ehehehe... FIRE! FIRE!

(This is my way of saying hell yes)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

gently caress yes you should do this thing and not look back for a second

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
poo poo yes

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

JamieTheD posted:

Shuddup, dumbass! That wasn't funny!

Heh, ehehehe... FIRE! FIRE!

(This is my way of saying hell yes)

Haystack posted:

gently caress yes you should do this thing and not look back for a second

LorrdErnie posted:

poo poo yes

So, um, we just counted the votes, sir, and it was, uh.... um... Hey Butthead!

What?

Uh... what comes after one?

Uh, you mean like, uh, numbers and stuff?

Yeah.

Oh. Uh, I think, like... uh, two, or something.

Oh, and, uh... what's like, after that?

Uh... three, I think?

Oh, Oh yeah. Uh, it was, like, uh, three for us, and, uh, none for you, heh heh.

That's not a vote. That's just a few people giving their opinions.

Oh. Oh, yeah. Heh heh heh. So, uh -- so, should we just come and ask you again after the next vote?

Yeah, huh huh huh. We can keep doing that, if you want.

Okay, okay, just shut the hell up and go ahead with it, but don't bother me again.

:siren: Round Four, Match Three :siren:

Match Three, Hugh Mann (burginator) vs. roctavian (Clockwork Gadget)

Uh, like, hello, and welcome to the Arena Challenge, huh huh huh. I'm your play-by-play announcer Butthead...

Heh heh heh. You said "play".

Shut up, assmunch! And, uh, giving special commentary here tonight, is our good friend Beavis.

I was supposed to introduce me, fartknocker!

Dammit Beavis, don't screw this up, or they won't invite us back!

Oh yeah. Heh heh heh.

In our left corner, Hugh Mann is a, uh, human fighter with an adamantum... uh, adamantine long sword huh huh, "long", and an iron shield. And he is wearing a pair of leather high boots, and, uh... nothing else, huh huh huh.

And as you can plainly see here, this is a male human fighter, heh heh heh. Heheheheheheh!!!!

Oh yeah? Were you, like, looking at his weiner just to be sure? Huh huh huh.

Shut up, butthole!

Oh. And, uh, in the right corner over there, we have roctavian the serpent man. He's carrying a silver hammer, and he's wearing, uh... two layers of bronze mail shirts, a bronze helm, bronze gauntlets, and a wooden shield. So, uh, let's hear it for the snake-man!

Heh heh heh. Hey, Butthead. I've got a snake-man. Check this out. "I shall deestroy all of those who oppose me in the arena!", heheheheheheh!!!!!

DAMMIT, Beavis, pull your pants back up!

Oh yeah, heh heh. Sorry about that.

And, uh, they're off!

And as you can see, the serpent man, heh heh heh, is a little faster than the human, as they run to the center of the ring!

And roctavian charges at Hugh Mann, and, uh, WHOA! Roctavian just knocked him on his rear end on the arena floor!

Um, hey, Butthead, isn't it usually, uh, that the big guys knock down the little guys when they crash into each other?

Shut up, dumbass. It's the fast guys who knock down the slow guys.

Uh, are you sure about that, Butthead? Because I watched all of the last ten fights, and it seems like that, uh...

Shut the hell up, dumbass! Didn't you see what just happened? That's what always happens!

Oh. Oh, oh yeah. Heh heh heh.

And, uh, Hugh is down, and he seems to be, uh, confused! And while he's trying to get his bearings, Roctavian, uh, swings his hammer!

It looks like the serpent man's claw just tore open Hugh's right arm, heh heh heh! And that looked pretty painful, Butthead, but I think that wasn't nearly as bad as it looked.

And Hugh tries to stand back up, and... uh, WHOA! The snake dude just swung his hammer around and crushed him in the back of the head!

And Hugh falls back to the arena floor, and drops his sword and his shield! And Hugh is twitching on the arena floor, but I think that wasn't nearly as bad as it looked.

Uh... Beavis?

What?

You see how he just dropped his weapon?

Uh... yeah. Heh heh heh.

And you see how he dropped his shield too?

Oh, yeah, yeah, I see that.

And you see how he's not picking them back up?

Oh. OH. Oh, I see.

And you see how roctavian is just swinging his hammer, and, uh, how Hugh's not moving, and how roctavian's hammer is breaking all of Hugh's body parts?

Heh heh heh heh heh. You said "parts".

Oh yeah. Huh huh huh huh huh.

Oh... OH, I see. You think, uh, the snake dude is gonna win?

Beavis, you dumbass, I never said that. Oh, and, uh... roctavian just bit Hugh, and now, uh, Hugh like, uh, can't breathe and stuff.

Oh. That sucks for him.

Yeah. Like I just told you, the snake dude is gonna win.

Oh yeah. Heh heh heh.

And Hugh finally, uh... suff-um-cates, and, uh, the fight is over!

Yeah, heh heh. But, uh... there's one thing I don't get, Butthead.

Oh yeah?

Isn't there something weird about this fight?

Uh, no. What do you think is weird about it, Beavis?

Oh, I don't know, heh heh heh. Oh yeah! Yeah, um... isn't it, like, uh... weird and stuff that the little guy finally won a fight?

"Little guy." Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh.

Oh yeah. Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh. Heheheheheeheh!!!! No, wait, Butthead! I meant, like, isn't it kind of weird that, uh, that the smaller guy finally won a fight? Because I've been watching Arena Challenge for a while, and --

Beavis, you dumbass. Size doesn't matter in these fights. It's all about, uh... who's faster.

Uh, that's not what I remember, uh, cause...

SHUT THE HELL UP, Beavis! We haven't had a job since MTV fired us for the second time over a year ago! Do you want us to get fired again?

Yeah. YEAH! Fired. Fired! FIRED! FIRED, FIRED...

Oh, yeah, yeah. I remember now. Sorry about that.

So, for my colleague Beavis, this is Butthead, and, uh... have, like, a good night, or something. Huh huh huh.

Yeah, heh heh heh. Me too.

Combat Log

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 18, 2013

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Well, poo poo.

Yeah. No touchdowns for Wes Welker tonight, and your fantasy NFL team is still getting its rear end beat.

No, it's not that.

Aw, really? What is it, then?

Well, Burginator had been loyally following the thread for the last two years, and now his guy is out of it.

Yeah, but FiddlersThree, the guy whose fighter Burginator's guy beat last round, was even more loyal. But like they say, there can be only one winner.

Yeah, I guess so. But I hate to see the most loyal ArenaChallenge fans get disappointed. I mean, I want to keep the whole thing honest, and let the electronic dice fall where they may, but if we lose our most loyal fans and participants, what price victory?

Good point. So what do you plan to do about it?

It wouldn't be fair to change the ArenaChallenge rules during an on-going tournament, and we will never do that. I don't know for sure how we will handle the challenges of future tournaments, but I've been thinking, and here's what I've come up with...

Are you going to talk about Arena Challenge futures here?

Um... yes.

---

I'm still thinking that as soon as this tournament is over, the LP forum can have a team-based tournament. I haven't figured out all of the details yet, but I think there should be a small benefit for all past winners who are still participating in the ongoing tournaments, and that there should also be some sort of benefit for continued participation... that is, a bonus if your fighter joined the current tournament right at the beginning, and never stopped following it, even if things didn't go well... such that even if your team didn't do so well, as long as you continue to follow things in spite of the fact that your fighter's team has lost all ten tournament fights they've been in thus far, you will get... some kind of "bonus points".

And?

And for another way to maintain interest, I think it's good to let late-comers continue to pick up abandoned fighters, just like we have been doing so far, but those fighters don't get those same benefits of continued participation from the beginning. So everyone who is involved has skin in the game, but there's a bonus for being in since the beginning, and for never giving up.

And would you give more regular updates for a tournament like this?

Uh, yes, I'll try to. Although these write-ups are a lot of work, but I'd be more than willing to doing a "game-of-the-week" or something, and just doing a summary for the other games.

Good idea. You think the people following the thread could vote on the game of the week?

Uh, probably... but maybe we wouldn't let players vote on games featuring teams that their own fighters participate in... I don't know yet.

Yeah? And what else?

And, watching the good old U.S. of A. American football tonight, I think there's a few things this sport has gotten right. Specifically, the idea of having a "regular season" of a dozen or so games, to keep everybody interested for a while, and to have the best teams qualify for a championship tournament.

And what else did the NFL get right? The concussions?

No, I think Dwarfhalla has the NFL beat on that, with the gods fully healing all fighters after every fight. I mean, otherwise, there would be no way to get through a ten-to-sixteen game "regular season". But I do like the idea of rewarding those teams that have been more successful in the regular season. Because otherwise, what is the regular season for?

And how do you plan to accomplish this?

I don't know. I... I like the idea of a home field advantage during the arena fights, but this might be too easy to game. But I'd love to hear any suggestions from those who are still viewing the thread here.

LP Thread Viewers, let's hear any ideas you have for a team-based tournament! Please note that the rules for the rest of the current season, however, are not up for debate. And there's only ten or so fights left before we can officially start the next season.

Thirteen fights left in the current tournament.

And you're serious about asking about feedback, yes?

Yes.

How are you so sure this will work?

Well, it works for the NFL Super Bowl, doesn't it? Get people emotionally invested in their team. Allow a large number of teams. Allow a small chance -- but still a very real chance -- for each to qualify for the playoffs, if they win enough games in the "regular season". And for those teams who can't, let them see just how big the spectacle is, and leave them thinking -- "That could be US next year."

Jazzimus wants to hear your feedback! And like he said, although it may not affect this tournament, let us know what you think about next tournament!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I didn't understand much of the above (partly but not entirely because I'm not American and don't follow American football) but rest assured I'm aboard for it!

Also I like the idea of rewards for following your team loyally, because I've never stopped following this thread so obviously I'd get a ton of points.

Mostly I just want a chance to create another gremlin. One day one of the little bastards will win a fight!

• Locked thread