Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shock.wav
May 25, 2009

Tenkaris posted:

Odd, the last few posts sound familiar to me. I've had something similar happen but I always thought it was just Tinnitus. Occasionally I'm laying in bed and it's perfectly silent and then I have a short burst of ringing in my ear and it quickly goes away. But it's pretty subtle and not jarring to me in the way people describe this. I always just figured sitting 3 rows away from massive speakers at Ozzfest when I was 16 caused some funky permanent damage. Or all those years playing drums.

I'm assuming this isn't exploding head syndrome because it's not really intense and happens really rarely. I think for a syndrome to have that name it needs to be a bit more intense for the person suffering from it at least. It's just the mention of it sounding electronic that makes me wonder, because my occasional ear-ringing tends to start with a sudden crescendoing squeal and then sustain a high pitched tone like a TV running one of those weird color test broadcast signals, like someone switched an old TV set on in the middle of the night.

And it always confused me because when I went to concerts like I mentioned earlier, I would come home with ringing in the ears that lasted for almost 24 hours, which is obviously a bad sign. But that ringing had a clear cause and effect situation, while this ringing I describe here is just out of nowhere while I'm laying in bed trying to fall asleep.

I love this thread, consider me slightly unnerved.

I get this too, and I think it's quite common. When I was studying audio engineering we had an audiologist give a guest lecture and she said that it's a sort of self-test/calibration thing that the ear does.

I still think that's complete bullshit but it's the only explanation I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I get that and was initially quite worried about it. Had a hearing test and was told that it is tinnitus, I'm another who spent too long at loud gigs and in a poo poo band. I've also lost the top range of my hearing, it caps out at a much lower frequency than most people - fun times!

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
I get tinnitus in my left ear several times per day ever since I got into a car accident and bashed my ear against the window really hard. I can hear almost as well as with my other ear six months later, but I think the buzzing is here to stay.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Yeah, tinnitus is unfortunately incurable at this point; I get occasional bouts when I'm wearing my hearing aids, but if I go for several days without 'em I start to get a constant variant in my left ear that won't go away without several hours of auditory stimulation.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I get tinnitus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and at night it changes from the daytime whistling to any number of fun things, such as chanting, singing, and the other night, vacuum cleaners.

I've had many operations on my ears over the years and inside my head is a a bit of a car crash, I'm stuck with the tinnitus, but you know, I've learned so much about it over the years and it really is fascinating.

Having both tinnitus AND exploding head syndrome is fun, but take it from me, they aren't the same thing and if you have exploding head syndrome you sort of know - it is pretty different to tinnitus. I've had them both for so long now that I kind of like them, as stupid as that sounds, they are 'mine' if you know what I mean. Sometimes I get in bed in the silence and hear something idiotic like circus music, and well, you can't stay mad at a condition that pulls crap like that on you for long.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I had tinnitus once when I was taking aspirin while using Icy-Hot and a topical painkiller patch (Flector/diclofenac) due to RSI. Turns out diclofenac raises your sensitivity to aspirin and other salicylates, and one sign of too much salicylate is ringing in the ears.

Drove me mental until it subsided. Those of you that have permanent tinnitus, you have my sympathy.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

shock.wav posted:

I get this too, and I think it's quite common. When I was studying audio engineering we had an audiologist give a guest lecture and she said that it's a sort of self-test/calibration thing that the ear does.

I still think that's complete bullshit but it's the only explanation I've ever heard.

A quick Google search says the type of tinnitus that lasts a few seconds and happens for no apparent reason may have something to do with a disturbance of inner ear fluids, brought on by an uptick in blood pressure among many other random reasons.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Captainsalami posted:

I always thought of it as my brain degaussing like an old monitor, cause thats what it sounds like.

This is the best description of what it sounds like I've ever read, except 10x louder than a CRT degauss. Feels a bit like it too: POP...fizzle fizzle fizzle...

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Tinnitus, truly bonechilling poo poo.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
There was a lady who got tinnitus because she was dumb enough to try ear candling and some hot wax dripped down her ear. I find it unnerving that people actually try and believe in ear candling in the first place.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

More nights than not when I am trying to fall asleep I hear a loud sound in my head and always thought it was just ine of those things, but after reading about exploding head poo poo I realize that's what it is.
And now I am paranoid that it will accompany sleep paralysis.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Hey this one time this thing happened to me and it's this weird unimportant, uninteresting and insignificant health issue. It belongs in this thread I think, which is about scary or unnerving Wikipedia pages.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

SBJ posted:

Hey this one time this thing happened to me and it's this weird unimportant, uninteresting and insignificant health issue. It belongs in this thread I think, which is about scary or unnerving Wikipedia pages.

Hey yeah, that sounds familiar. I think it happens to me too sometimes. Weird huh

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I've got tinnitus, 24/7, and I have for years. You get used to it. It's rare, but I had really good hearing beforehand, so I still hear higher tones properly--just not the highest.

I think I've said this before, but it always concerns me when "confirmed" mobsters aren't in jail. This isn't the untouchables, either it is slander, or you are waiting to let them commit a worse crime to prosecute. Either way, innocents are being harmed knowingly. Link.

I'm not saying John DiFronzo is not guilty, or any of the others, just close the deal. It leads to distrust amongst people to know a known criminal is walking the streets without at least a trial.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
This thread has run its course.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Phobophilia posted:

And you know what's unnerving? Remember how Jenner originally got his vaccine from cowpox? This is not cowpox. At some unknown point in time, England's strain of vaccine was switched to this virus, and no one knows just how it happened.

There's a reason people call him "Doctor".

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

More nights than not when I am trying to fall asleep I hear a loud sound in my head and always thought it was just ine of those things, but after reading about exploding head poo poo I realize that's what it is.
And now I am paranoid that it will accompany sleep paralysis.

I find it unnerving that Frank Sinatra, over 50 years ago, foresaw the above quoted post in the scary or unnerving Wikipedia pages thread, and titled an album as a pre-emptive response: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Cares

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

Edit: I come from New Mexico, and every year during plague season one or two cases would make the papers and they'd remind us to take care around rodents. It wasn't a big deal.

Isn't it all over the southwest USA? It's a plot point in one of Tony Hillerman's novels.

Also, Hantavirus.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This thread has run its course.

Second. I don't care about weird spergy goon ailments.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
The ten-post tinnitus derail has run its course. Likewise I now expect the shut-up-about-tinnitus derail to also end.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I just want to know how Noisycat's call to the FBI went.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951_Pont-Saint-Esprit_mass_poisoning

I first found out about the Pont-Saint-Esprit mass poisoning years ago, when reading about the CIA's LSD experiments. It's a rather pervasive belief that the CIA somehow dosed over 250 people in a small town in France with LSD to catalog it's effects on a unsuspecting populace in a fairly large scale. There are other theories about how they were poisoned, such as ergot in the bread from a local baker. But pretty much all of the theories involve grain or the CIA or both.

Regardless of what caused it, it's rather creepy to imagine going about your routine with vivid, unwanted, and frequently violent hallucinations hitting you with no warning, then desperately trying to fight off what would likely feel like insanity as you make your way to the hospital. When you get there, you find dozens of others suffering from similar effects, and a harried and confused hospital staff, overwhelmed with all the people involuntarily tripping balls.

edit: Does anyone have any reliable sources that definitively state the cause of this? I think it's a bit far fetched to think the CIA was behind it, as with most conspiracy theories, but I would have said the same thing about NSA surveillance up until recently. Still though, extraordinary claims requiring extraordinary evidence and all that.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Americans use the Internet to abandon children adopted from overseas

This is probably the most appropriate thread for this. Reuters did an investigative report on online child exchanges here in the States, and it is pretty disturbing. The text of the article is awful enough, but it also has an online graphic database you can explore that documents posts from parents looking to get rid of their kids. If you're really sensitive about troubled children, it'll probably make you cry and ruin your day.

Here's a couple examples.

quote:

Subject: Temporary Home for Wonderful Boy Needed Immediately!

[organization redacted] is seeking an immediate temporary placement for ten days for an 11-year old boy from the Philippines. Ideally, this placement would result in a permanent adoption but this is not required. [name redacted] is a bright and well-behaved boy who identifies as homosexual. It is imperative that the family be open and supportive of his identity. Detailed information is available for those who are seriously interested. Ideal candidate families are home study ready and have a five year church affiliation. Families who do not meet this requirement may contact [organization redacted] as well. Interested families should contact [name redacted] at[phone number redacted]as soon as possible.

quote:

Subject: 12 year old girl being disrupted

We adopted [name redacted] and her brother five years ago. At the time I just wanted to help some less fortunate children, I had no idea what I was getting into. She never knew her parents and has had a very hard time trusting me, especially since her behavior leaves me less than friendly much of the time. In the last five years it has become apparent that I am not the person who will carry her all the way to a healthy future. She is a beautiful and happy little girl, almost always content. If you think you might be interested and equipped to parent this very deserving little girl contact me and I will give you any information you might need.

quote:

Subject: An introduction, of sorts, and questions

I recently joined this group because my husband and I have begun discussions about possibly dissolving the adoption of our daughter and finding her a new family - one that will be a better fit for her. We are just in the beginning stages of this and have no idea how this process works.

For those of you who are actively seeking a new home for a child - have you already taken preliminary steps with an attorney or agency - or is it more a case of finding a new home first? Are there specific steps you must follow? Where do we begin?

After reading through all of the messages, I must admit to feeling somewhat guilty for being here. It seems that most of you are dealing with situations/behaviors that are so much worse than what we are experiencing.

We have 4 children - 2 are biological (20 & 17) and 2 (11 & 9) have been home from Haiti since 2003. Our 9 year old, from the very first time we met, has been an absolute joy. He bonded instantly with all of us and it seems like he has always been part of our family.Our 11 year old is a much different story.She was difficult to deal with at our first visit and, looking back at the photos/videos we received while the kids remained in the orphanage, we should have seen a warning. She was almost always in the background - alone or crying, never really engaged. We never thought twice about bringing her into our family because she is the biological sibling of our son and we didn't want to separate them. She is not at all attached to anyone in our family and, most unfortunately, none of us even like her. It is difficult to even be in the same room with her. Her behavior, while not horrible, has left us not trusting her in the least. We must lock the bedroom doors of everyone else in the family to keep her from stealing. She has no conscience and 'slinks' around the house,always looking over her shoulder. She just stares at us - especially our 17 year old. It gets quite creepy. Our older children can't stand being around her so there is no family time. We just can't allow the destruction of our family to continue and we know it isn't fair to her, either. She needs to be in a family who can love her, help her to develop into the woman God wants her to be, and who she can love in return.

Any help would be appreciated. We really don't know where to start.

Thanks!

quote:

Subject: Disrupting our son's adoption

We live in Missouri. We adopted him from Ukraine when he was 6. We wanted a little girl and were only shown one who had an older brother, so he was our surprise baby. We have had him since March 2006. He has developmental delays due to being instituationalized from birth, his emotional and devlopmental age is around a 4 or 5 year old. He does not have an ESL problem, his Russian language skills were at a 2 year old level when we had him tested at age 6 1/2. He has a language processing disorder-he can read pretty well but has little comprehension. He has ADHD but is well controlled on Concerta. He has some sensory issues too, but the language is the main problem. Our pediatrician says he is doing much better than she thought he ever would, she says he lacks executive function. I can answer further questions privately [name redacted]

quote:

Subject: 3.5 year old Russian Princess

My husband and I brought home a sweet little girl from Russia earlier this year. We have a long story of how we were lied to and deceived by the Russian system (not saying it is all bad over there, but we saw the bad). We were only allowed to finally spend time with this sweet little girl right before court. We soon discovered she had neurological special needs. This is something we were not and are not open to. We are looking for a new home of this beautiful little girl. She is small, average size of a 2 year old. She has a lazy eye and patches for two hours a say. She is healthy. Sweet and full of smiles, hugs and kisses. She seems to form attachments well. She eats and sleeps well. She is obedient and loves our dog. If anyone knows of any resources to help find this sweet little girl her forever family, please contact me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
The kid doesn't trust you? What better way to fix this problem than abandoning them! :smithicide:

I think Russia banned adoptions from the US over this, not sure. If so, thank loving God.

Zopotantor posted:

Isn't it all over the southwest USA? It's a plot point in one of Tony Hillerman's novels.

Also, Hantavirus.
Yep. It first came to the continental US in California in 1900 as part of the Third Plague Pandemic, and has remained endemic among our rodents ever since. If you live in the Southwest you should be familiar with the symptoms just in case.

HEY GUNS has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Sep 19, 2013

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007
Does anyone have a link to that blog about raising a Russian adopted kid who suffered from severe attachment issues? I remember he was arrested a few times and had tried to kill at least one family member. It was a fascinating and kind of sickening read. I seriously don't envy people who try to adopt Russian orphans. They've usually grown up in legit orphanages with next to no loving attention. That will gently caress you up for good.

It probably doesn't help that (prior to the adoption ban mentioned above which went into full effect earlier this year I believe) it was pretty easy for Americans to adopt from there and many people who were desperate after years of trying local adoptions probably saw it as a godsend.

Silly Hippie has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Sep 19, 2013

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
^^^That's the one that was featured on TAL, right? That story had a happy ending, at least, the parents worked super hard to get their son help and he ended up relatively fine, eventually.

Here is another article on a similar topic, they mention families straight-up abandoning the children they adopted, too. :smith:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Reactive attachment disorder fits in this thread. You adopt a kid, and she's a little terror, but you think "she's had a rough life, she just needs love and attention and patience and she'll learn to behave." Then you find out nope, she's basically a sociopath because she was used as an ashtray by her mother until she was taken away by CPS at age 4, and nothing you can do will help. She literally cannot understand other people as separate entities, and thus can't understand or moderate her own behavior. She will steal anything she wants, attack anyone who makes her mad, and no amount of time outs or groundings or even spankings will ever fix her.

It doesn't justify dumping her off on somebody, but what the hell *do* you do? The whole situation is just :smith:

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Dude, the very page you linked has a category titled "treatment". That's what you do. You go to professionals. Instead of calling a four-year-old "basically a sociopath". There's even a section called "prognosis" that says it's rare that children adopted out of horrible environments into stable ones continue being unable to relate to others.

For gently caress's sake.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951_Pont-Saint-Esprit_mass_poisoning

I first found out about the Pont-Saint-Esprit mass poisoning years ago, when reading about the CIA's LSD experiments. It's a rather pervasive belief that the CIA somehow dosed over 250 people in a small town in France with LSD to catalog it's effects on a unsuspecting populace in a fairly large scale. There are other theories about how they were poisoned, such as ergot in the bread from a local baker. But pretty much all of the theories involve grain or the CIA or both.

Regardless of what caused it, it's rather creepy to imagine going about your routine with vivid, unwanted, and frequently violent hallucinations hitting you with no warning, then desperately trying to fight off what would likely feel like insanity as you make your way to the hospital. When you get there, you find dozens of others suffering from similar effects, and a harried and confused hospital staff, overwhelmed with all the people involuntarily tripping balls.

edit: Does anyone have any reliable sources that definitively state the cause of this? I think it's a bit far fetched to think the CIA was behind it, as with most conspiracy theories, but I would have said the same thing about NSA surveillance up until recently. Still though, extraordinary claims requiring extraordinary evidence and all that.

It has been documented as a CIA experiment more thoroughly than the wiki article suggests. The book mentioned in the wiki article bases its claims on actual CIA documents that the author identified or realized the significance of--there's a lot of documents unearthed through the Freedom of Information Act that place CIA operatives in Pont-Saint-Esprit at the time of the event, and references to covering up or burying the evidence of something they don't name outright. Another person who has appeared in this thread, Frank Olsen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Olson) comes up in a lot of the memos and was himself in Pont-Saint-Esprit at the time. It's pretty well established (as much as such a thing can be) that he was killed by the CIA for threatening to go public about Pont-Saint-Esprit (they spiked his drink with LSD and threw him out a window, though nobody can prove he didn't spontaneously decide to dose himself and then commit suicide). He was a leading figure in the MKULTRA experiments, which have also come up in this thread: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra

There's no citation for the "most academic sources" mentioned in the first paragraph, and as far as I can tell there's just one report dating from the time of the event that says that the illness is consistent with ergot poisoning and that there's no more investigating to be done in the absence of new evidence: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2069953/

LSD was synthesized from ergot, so dosing people through their bread would be a great way to hide was you were doing.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

weavernaut posted:

Dude, the very page you linked has a category titled "treatment". That's what you do. You go to professionals. Instead of calling a four-year-old "basically a sociopath". There's even a section called "prognosis" that says it's rare that children adopted out of horrible environments into stable ones continue being unable to relate to others.

Wikipedia posted:

Mainstream prevention programs and treatment approaches for attachment difficulties or disorders for infants and younger children are based on attachment theory and concentrate on increasing the responsiveness and sensitivity of the caregiver, or if that is not possible, placing the child with a different caregiver.[6][45][46] These approaches are mostly in the process of being evaluated. [...] The relevance of these approaches to intervention with fostered and adopted children with RAD or older children with significant histories of maltreatment is unclear.

That's basically a weaselly way of saying "we have no idea if any of this actually works." "Attachment therapy" runs the gamut from cognitive-behavioral therapy to wrapping the kid up in a blanket and "re-enacting" their birth. There's a whole lot of ideas but not a whole lot of proof backing any of it up. And a blase "duh just take your kid to therapy lol whats the problem" attitude is part of why the parents go nuts and dump their kids off in Nebraska.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Reactive attachment disorder fits in this thread. You adopt a kid, and she's a little terror, but you think "she's had a rough life, she just needs love and attention and patience and she'll learn to behave." Then you find out nope, she's basically a sociopath because she was used as an ashtray by her mother until she was taken away by CPS at age 4, and nothing you can do will help. She literally cannot understand other people as separate entities, and thus can't understand or moderate her own behavior. She will steal anything she wants, attack anyone who makes her mad, and no amount of time outs or groundings or even spankings will ever fix her.

It doesn't justify dumping her off on somebody, but what the hell *do* you do? The whole situation is just :smith:

There is a treatment that some people think is effective, but it sounds totally insane and abusive in itself, and may have led to the deaths of a bunch of kids: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_therapy

quote:

Attachment therapy is a treatment used primarily with fostered or adopted children who have behavioral difficulties, sometimes severe, but including disobedience and perceived lack of gratitude or affection for their caregivers. The children's problems are ascribed to an inability to attach to their new parents, because of suppressed rage due to past maltreatment and abandonment. The common form of attachment therapy is holding therapy, in which a child is firmly held (or lain upon) by therapists or parents. Through this process of restraint and confrontation, therapists seek to produce in the child a range of responses such as rage and despair with the goal of achieving catharsis. In theory, when the child's resistance is overcome and the rage is released, the child is reduced to an infantile state in which he or she can be "re-parented" by methods such as cradling, rocking, bottle feeding and enforced eye contact. The aim is to promote attachment with the new caregivers. Control over the children is usually considered essential and the therapy is often accompanied by parenting techniques which emphasize obedience. These accompanying parenting techniques are based on the belief that a properly attached child should comply with parental demands "fast, snappy and right the first time" and should be "fun to be around".[3] These techniques have been implicated in several child deaths and other harmful effects.[4]

It sounds like pure pseudoscience, but I know about it because there was a famous documentary about a kid with RAD who seemed entirely cured because of attachment therapy. Her name was Beth Thomas, and she's now a nurse with a family of her own. She claims she owes her recovery to her adoptive mother, who invented attachment therapy:

http://www.childrenintherapy.org/proponents/thomasb.html

Incidentally (or not), three of the deaths associated with attachment therapy over the years have come at the hands of several of the people involved in Thomas' case. If that was what cured her--and it could simply have been being raised by a psychologist who genuinely loved and respected her--she really dodged a bullet in not getting smothered to death or getting her skull crushed in enthusiastic hugging:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_therapy#Cases

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Pinball Wizard posted:

gently caress you, there are plenty of cases of people who have recovered from RAD and are now functional adults. Most people hear about RAD due to Beth Thomas, who grew up to be a pediatric nurse of all things.

The therapy does in fact feature love, attention, and patience, but yeah it's way more cool to think you can rape and torture a kid into being Dexter.

Pick has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Sep 19, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

A Pinball Wizard posted:

There are formal programs for disrupting adoptions, though. "Go on Internet and foist them on strangers" is a poo poo way to approach the issue.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Wow. I've read horrible things in this thread but the ditching of adopted kids has put me over the edge.

I am just utterly speechless at this point.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

jaegerx posted:

Wow. I've read horrible things in this thread but the ditching of adopted kids has put me over the edge.

I am just utterly speechless at this point.

The way they use exactly the same language as people trying to rehome animals. She's obedient and loving! She is full of smiles and hugs! Why not take two while you're at it? Christ.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

HopperUK posted:

The way they use exactly the same language as people trying to rehome animals. She's obedient and loving! She is full of smiles and hugs! Why not take two while you're at it? Christ.

Back to cute and heartwarming thread for me for a while. Thrown in with some troops coming home videos on YouTube before I can even look at this thread again.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

A Pinball Wizard posted:

"Attachment therapy" runs the gamut from cognitive-behavioral therapy to wrapping the kid up in a blanket and "re-enacting" their birth.

As seen in Law and Order SVU: That Episode with Dakota Fanning's Little Sister.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash

A B-52 carrying nuclear warheads crashed over North Carolina in 1961. How close was the United States to having a hydrogen bomb explode over the country?

quote:

The two nuclear weapons separated from the gyrating aircraft as it broke up between 10,000 and 2,000 feet (3,000 and 610 m). Five of the six arming mechanisms on one of the bombs activated, causing it to execute many of the steps needed to arm itself, such as charging the firing capacitors and, critically, deployment of a 100-foot-diameter (30 m) retard parachute. The parachute allowed that bomb to hit the ground with little damage.

According to former military analyst Daniel Ellsberg, he saw highly classified documents indicating that the pilot's safe/arm switch was the only one of the six arming devices on the bomb that prevented detonation.[1][8] The Pentagon claims that there was no chance of an explosion and that two arming mechanisms had not activated. A United States Department of Defense spokesperson told United Press International reporter Donald May that the bomb was unarmed and could not explode.[8] Later, however, it was found that both bombs were fully functional.[9]

The commander of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team, Lt. Jack B. ReVelle, said of the bomb: "How close was it to exploding? My opinion is drat close. You might now have a very large Bay of North Carolina if that thing had gone off". He also said the size of each bomb was 3.8 megatons, more than 250 times the destructive power of the Hiroshima bomb, and large enough to have a 100% kill zone of seventeen miles.

Brother Jonathan has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Sep 19, 2013

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Backyard Blacksmith posted:

I really don't understand why people continue to say things like, "it's a bit far fetched that the CIA were behind it". Did you only say that because you think that any conspiracy theory can be assumed to be a crazy idea with little basis in fact? In reality, whilst many conspiracy theories are thought up by nutjobs, some are based in fact and many have been proven to be correct.

One example is Project MKUltra, which has surely been mentioned in this thread. Operation Midnight Climax was part of that project and we know with complete 100% certainty that it happened. In light of that, suggesting that the CIA weren't involved in Pont-Saint-Esprit seems a bit far fetched!

The idea that people still seem to believe that the CIA and NSA do nothing but listen to Al Quada operatives telephone calls and can be completely trusted not to be doing anything weird or underhand which may harm you or I is, in it's own way, a conspiracy theory itself...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

duckmaster posted:

The idea that people still seem to believe that the CIA and NSA do nothing but listen to Al Quada operatives telephone calls and can be completely trusted not to be doing anything weird or underhand which may harm you or I is, in it's own way, a conspiracy theory itself...
Leaving aside the subtle strawman, in what 'way' is that a conspiracy theory?

• Locked thread