Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I didn't feel to me like they framed it in a scary environment, it's just that a lot of people are freaked out by being alone in big empty houses and that just happened to be the setting. Complete with all the little creaks and squeaks you can hear when it's deathly quiet. It was more genuine than scary to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It wasn't scary at all to me. Tense at times, maybe. I think a lot of that has to do with video game expectations that something spooky or supernatural is going to pop out at a moment's notice instead of the more realistic and sane conclusion that it's just an empty house at night. All the blurbs from this game read "no combat, no puzzles" and by extension no monsters, and I took the developers at their word. Also, many people are apparently huge wusses?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

It's because you play video games and are expecting something to be scary because that's what happens in these kinds of games. I handed the controller to my wife who occasionally plays on the DS and it didn't even occur to her that she was supposed to be at all scared.

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums
It wasn't necessarily scary, but there was a strong undercurrent of dread throughout the game. What was interesting was that the dread went in three stages.

For the first part of the game, when you are unsure what genre it will turn out to be, there was a sense of dread every time you turned a corner and expected some monster or ghost to come running out at you.

For the middle part of the game, by the time you are pretty sure you aren't playing survival horror, you get a different kind of dread, the kind you would get in real life from creepy around an unknown house. They do such an effective job at making the house feel real and lived in, that the simple act of sneaking around in a basement in the dark will freak you out, even if you know there is no such thing as a ghost. The lightning storm and flickering lights do not help.

And finally, for the last third of the game the dread is entirely story based. What has happened to Sam? What will you find in the attic?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Baby Sathanas posted:

I didn't feel to me like they framed it in a scary environment, it's just that a lot of people are freaked out by being alone in big empty houses and that just happened to be the setting. Complete with all the little creaks and squeaks you can hear when it's deathly quiet. It was more genuine than scary to me.

I think it's disingenuous to say they weren't going for a scary, or at least tense, environment. Besides the obvious fault with the "they didn't want it to be scary, they just picked an enviroment that scares people" argument, they had you walk into a secret passage filled with newspaper clippings and then had the light burn out on you. Hell, your final destination is an attic that's bathed in red light.

It is a "spooky basement" horror but saying they didn't go out of their way to make it feel like that is just not true.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

ExtraNoise posted:

This is all fantastic, thank you so much.

I've updated the timeline with the contributions above and the suggested edits: http://bit.ly/17zT6Wm

A couple of questions to fill in some gaps:

Do we know Sam's date of birth?

Why is there a financial planner for 1968 if Oscar sold the pharmacy in 1965?

Oh nice! Thanks for putting that up, it really helps tie the different stories together. I think I got all the dates right, some of the postcards were tough to read, and there's one from London that I can't make out at all:

As for Sam's birthday, I didn't see that anywhere, but the year could probably be estimated by connecting some dots. I'll check that out later. For the pharmacy, I don't remember seeing that, I'll look through my screenshots again. I'd assume it just carried over to the new owner, but I don't know why it would be laying around the house. Did Oscar keep working there after he sold it?

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Dear Mom, Dad, and Sam,
I am in the CHUNNEL! This is
my second passage though the
CHUNNEL! I'm on my way back from
London, this time going to Brussels,
Belgium. Sorry I didn't write you
on the way to London but I was
too excited about the CHUNNEL!!

London was great. Dad, I know you've
always wanted to visit and I think
you really should. You'd love it! If you
all wanted to come back here as a family
sometime I GUESS I could be convinced.
Love you all!
Katie

----

Mom, Dad, and Sam
1 Arbor Hill
Boon County, OR 97141

USA

UPC is 5019278900191, because we care about such things in this thread.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh and somebody earlier asked who the hell Uncle Harvey was, who the birthday card was from:

I couldn't find anything else about him, but I did find this mention, in the parents' bedroom on one of the VHS tapes:

Looks like he might have been a contestant on Jeopardy!

vv Good idea, here's a screenshot: vv

Uncle Harvey is in reality Harvey Smith!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-23-behold-gone-homes-several-easter-egg-cameos-by-other-devs

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I have never heard the Channel Tunnel referred to as the Chunnel.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Szmitten posted:

I have never heard the Channel Tunnel referred to as the Chunnel.
It's definitely a thing. It had only been open a few months when Katie travelled by it so it's not too unreasonable that she found it exciting, although it's a bit naff to refer to it in that way now.

Edit: I was doubting if it was a common nickname for the Channel Tunnel in 1995, but apparently it was.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 7, 2013

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Yeah, back while it was still under construction it was commonly referred to as the 'Chunnel' in the media, and the name stuck for a while afterwards. Nowadays it's not really used anymore.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Polyseme posted:

UPC is 5019278900191, because we care about such things in this thread.
Well yeah all THAT part I could read, I'm not blind! I meant I couldn't make out the date, it looks like it may be July something?:

Also UPC not found, immersion ruined again

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

Yeah, back while it was still under construction it was commonly referred to as the 'Chunnel' in the media, and the name stuck for a while afterwards. Nowadays it's not really used anymore.

I think it's still used more commonly in the US because our only exposure to it was when it was being constructed and in the news.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Well yeah all THAT part I could read, I'm not blind! I meant I couldn't make out the date, it looks like it may be July something?:

Also UPC not found, immersion ruined again
Looks like 1994 to me. Right over the "Publications Ltd" text.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ja2ke posted:

I think it's still used more commonly in the US because our only exposure to it was when it was being constructed and in the news.

Yeah, there was even a Seinfeld bit about it. Get with the program, homies!

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
I'm still thinking about this game. It made a hell of an impression, that's for sure. It also got me listening to old riot grrrl stuff again.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Alain Perdrix posted:

I'm still thinking about this game. It made a hell of an impression, that's for sure. It also got me listening to old riot grrrl stuff again.
"Some Special" and "Cool Schmool" have been stuck in my head since I played through the game a second time. I'd never really heard of riot grrrl, apart from some Bikini Kill songs I never associated with any genre other than general "punk", so this game has really opened my eyes to a subgenre I knew nothing about.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of Bikini Kill, I have to assume it was some sort of licensing issue that kept any of their songs from appearing in the game. You just know that Lonnie and Sam had all of their 7inches, albums, singles, 'zines and whatever else they could get their hands on

Hell, Rebel Girl could practically be about Sam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZxxhxjgnC0

And I'm saying it again, if you like the music and want to learn more about that early-mid 90' feminist punk movement read Girls to the Front by Sara Marcus.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I posted some Bikini Kill stuff earlier in the thread, but for shits and giggles, a kitten, enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa1c6EU2bY0

I was completely obsessed with alternative rock from 89-94.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
For anyone else who's excited about Kathleen Hanna stuff, here's a reminder that The Julie Ruin just released their debut album a week ago. It isn't bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEltsPb8M6Q

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

I posted some Bikini Kill stuff earlier in the thread, but for shits and giggles, a kitten, enjoy this:

Haha, that drumline is what really does it, makes me wonder if Tobi was a fan. Rebel Girl was probably written somewhere between '91 and '93 so the timeframe fits, wonder if it's just a coincidence, conscious choice, or just an unconscious influence.

Alain Perdrix posted:

For anyone else who's excited about Kathleen Hanna stuff, here's a reminder that The Julie Ruin just released their debut album a week ago. It isn't bad.

Oh wow, that had totally slipped my mind, thanks! I'm not as immediately sold on it like I was Le Tigre, but I'm gonna give the album a buy and see if it grows on me.

Edit so it's not just a music post:

Fullbright Company posted:

http://thefullbrightcompany.com/2013/09/11/updates-ign-fantastic-fest-indiecade-and-initial-sales-numbers/
Finally, those sales numbers we mentioned in the title. We’re happy to announce that between Steam and our own website Gone Home has sold more than 50,000 copies since launch. We’re now almost a month out since launching on August 15, and we hope people will find it encouraging to know that, along with the positive critical response we are continually grateful for and humbled by, we are also doing alright as far as sales numbers go!

Thanks again to everybody that has played the game, shared their thoughts, and just supported us in general. Look forward to more exciting news soon!
So that's pretty cool.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 13, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I would expect them to have ripped it off and not given a gently caress.

I uh ... somehow had no loving idea that Kathleen Hanna fronted both Bikini Kill and Le Tigre. I guess I didn't delve too deep because of the politics, but Le Tigre got me into electroclash. Still love early Ladytron, ADULT., Fischerspooner, and it sort of pushed me toward EBM/futurepop.

Some modern electroclash I think is pretty awesome if you're curious:

http://betafrontiers.com/album/ep

Personally I think the music chat belongs in this thread since it was such an important part of the background of the game.

edit: check out Spalding Rockwell too, but they're older and you'll probably have to get them on iTunes.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 13, 2013

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
Somewhat related to the PNW feminist electroclash thing: check out Tracy + The Plastics. It was a project (now ended) by performance and visual artist Wynne Greenwood, and she'd perform songs live against a video projection of two women who never appeared in the flesh, but who were her "backing band". Most of the stuff is really funny and it kinda owns. She was also a huge inspiration to Mykki Blanco, funnily enough.

I'm wondering what this exciting news The Fullbright Company is talking about might be. I'm trying to imagine a continuation of this game / DLC, but that doesn't seem likely at all.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I could live with a small expansion or director's cut that filled in a few details here and there, or simply added some more unique and personal items around the house instead of all the stock binders or whatever. The game really doesn't need a sequel and I like that the game ended where it did, so expanding in that direction seems like a bad idea.

Either way I'll be lined up to see what Fullbright has to offer next.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

It's been a while so I forget his name, but did they ever elaborate on why Nintendo Boy was creepy? I know he's kind of obsessed with Sam, but was their any more to it?

I kind of pictured him as a spergy nice guy, but not as an actual bad person.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ThatPazuzu posted:

It's been a while so I forget his name, but did they ever elaborate on why Nintendo Boy was creepy? I know he's kind of obsessed with Sam, but was their any more to it?

I kind of pictured him as a spergy nice guy, but not as an actual bad person.

Because he liked Sam, Sam didn't like boys, and you're hearing things from her point of view as a teenage girl.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crappy Jack posted:

Because he liked Sam, Sam didn't like boys, and you're hearing things from her point of view as a teenage girl.
Yeah this. He's actually a genuinely nice guy and good friend, the journal entry on the kitchen table mentions that he was the first person Sam really came out to and he was fully supportive of her.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Okay. Sam put a lot of emphasis on him being weird so I thought there might be more to it than him just having a crush on her.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I had my friend play this game last night and after watching the credits, he said "This game was made by a bunch of cat people." Then we got the 24th recording, and his response was "Cat people :catstare:"

He liked the game though.

Watching him play it just reminded me how bothered I am by "video game house design" though. I could excuse the useless hallways as products of ad-hoc extensions or something, if the house didn't appear so fixed-up, but really the most irritating thing about Gone Home's house is that there's no ground floor underneath all the second floor. I guess that's to accommodate the secret passages but in my view that just means they should have just thought a little harder.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

ThatPazuzu posted:

Okay. Sam put a lot of emphasis on him being weird so I thought there might be more to it than him just having a crush on her.

It's not uncommon for teenagers to react against friends from earlier in their childhood, even without the non-reciprocated crush. Once she found a new role model in Lonnie it was a bit too embarrassing to admit that she'd been friends with that nerdy kid from down the road, so she reacts by calling him weird and not spending time with him any more.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Just got this and played for a bit, stopping just as I got the key to the basement. I think I'm just barely too young to really get hit with full blast nostalgia, having been born in '91 but goddamn if this isn't bringing back memories I never knew I had.

I'm also enjoying it in a way that I don't think most other people are: My sister's gay and I got to watch that little journey of self-discovery in real time so I was kind of picking up on Sam and Lonnie a bit earlier than I think the game intended me to. It was really bringing back some fond and not so fond memories for me :unsmith: I hope it doesn't end as poorly as my sister's first relationship though...

Also, why couldn't I watch any of the movies on VHS?! All I needed to complete this nostalgia carpetbombing was to watch some cheesy 80's movie on a low quality recording!

Oh and as for scares, I haven't been even remotely uncomfortable, let alone scared. I think it's because I've always thought abandoned buildings were neat so being alone in a big empty house is actually kind of calming more than unsettling.

Edit: I'm also really looking forward to finishing the game and flipping through this thread because I feel like there's a million subtle references to things in the 90's that I'm missing and I know you :spergin: bastards have probably found each and every one :)

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 18, 2013

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Feeble posted:

Also, why couldn't I watch any of the movies on VHS?! All I needed to complete this nostalgia carpetbombing was to watch some cheesy 80's movie on a low quality recording!

Because that would turn it into the story of how a young woman returned home, found her family gone with no explanation, then sat down for an X-Files marathon.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Just finished it. I didn't cry but goddamn if I didn't come really close. I thought I'd be saying The Last of Us had the best story in gaming this year but that's over now. Gone Home all the way. You can add that to the list in the OP. gently caress, I can't stop smiling, why can't I stop smiling?

And I'm really glad I went into this completely blind with no more knowledge than the steam page provided. Goddamn...

I'm almost certain I missed a lot of material on the former owner of the house, Oscar(?). Last thing I found directly related to him was the letter in the safe that I think was about him pleading with a relative to let him come back into the family and stop being a pariah which I definitely think I missed some context on, and the hidden room by the foyer steps with the candles and pentagram and his photo and nametag... Yeah, I definitely missed some context on that cuz I don't know what the gently caress?
I'd replay it and try to find what I missed but I feel like going through it all again would just...ruin it for me. I'm gonna look through the thread now, hopefully that'll answer some questions but if anyone wants to chime in it'd be appreciated.

Edit: Right now I really, really want to try and get my sister to play through this now but she has zero interest and gaming and always has but she's also a big softie and I know she'd end up bawling by the end and aaaargh! I'm kind of tempted to, like, duct tape her to a chair or something and force her to play it.

Oh for gently caress's sake, now I'm crying. This game, goddammit, this game...
VVVVV

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 19, 2013

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Feeble posted:

I'm almost certain I missed a lot of material on the former owner of the house, Oscar(?).
There's been a bunch written about that specific storyline, but I think this was the big one that put it all together: http://clockworkworlds.com/post/58411117679/the-transgression-you-can-do-better

Spoilers obviously. It's kind of subtle intentionally, the developer talked about that on a podcast that was linked a few pages ago. I wouldn't have picked up on it if I hadn't read about it online.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DoctorTristan posted:

Because that would turn it into the story of how a young woman returned home, found her family gone with no explanation, then sat down for an X-Files marathon.

Muttering "Thank Christ" under her breath, the protagonist changes into her pajamas, grabs a beer, and sits down for some "Filez" without her bratty little sister or pain-in-the-rear end parents to interfere.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Muttering "Thank Christ" under her breath, the protagonist changes into her pajamas, grabs a beer, and sits down for some "Filez" without her bratty little sister or pain-in-the-rear end parents to interfere.
She wondered briefly what that note on the front door had been about before the smoldering sexual tension between Mulder and Scully drew her gaze back to the screen.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I have located the true flaw and immersion breaker in Gone Home.

Look over at the 10:30 time slot. Channel 33 is showing Cleghorne! the sitcom starring former SNL alum Ellen Cleghorne.

HOWEVER

This page shows the date of Februrary 15, 1995. Cleghorne! did not premire until September 10th of that year. [citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleghorne! ]

Game destroyed :colbert:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Wemus posted:

I have located the true flaw and immersion breaker in Gone Home.

Look over at the 10:30 time slot. Channel 33 is showing Cleghorne! the sitcom starring former SNL alum Ellen Cleghorne.

HOWEVER

This page shows the date of Februrary 15, 1995. Cleghorne! did not premire until September 10th of that year. [citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleghorne! ]

Game destroyed :colbert:

There's a good chance this will be fixed if you tweet it at them. They fixed the dice earlier.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm just impressed that there was any three-month period in which Cleghorne! existed at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Osmosisch posted:

There's a good chance this will be fixed if you tweet it at them. They fixed the dice earlier.

What was wrong with the Dice?

• Locked thread