Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I think I'm giving the wrong impression. It's more like just a regular remote group interview, but with some sort of screencasting set up to use instead of a whiteboard (as nobody's in the same room).

Group interviews are still loving dumb and shows that the company doesn't care enough to dedicate 1:1 time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

gucci void main posted:

Group interviews are still loving dumb and shows that the company doesn't care enough to dedicate 1:1 time.

I'll take that into consideration. Nevertheless, I'm having one, and since dealing with stupid situations is an important life skill, I'd still like to hear if anybody knows what I can expect.

tetracontakaidigon
Apr 21, 2013

Rello posted:

Hey I am gonna be applying for internships next summer
Good luck! I'm also applying for internships for next summer, and it looks like we're in the same year! I started applying in August, but then again, I have a list of almost 10 places I've considered applying to and my status with each of them, updated daily. So you might not want to be as obsessive as me.

In related news: Applying so early means that I have already been rejected from my first-choice workplace. Maybe if they'd let me know I had an hour and a half set of phone interviews with them more than 20 hours before it happened?
How common is that sort of thing? (To be fair, they sent an email weeks in advance, they just sent it to the wrong address and didn't follow up with the address I gave them until the night before.)

Regardless, I'm still hearing back from other places and scheduling interviews. If anyone has interview advice, I'd be happy to hear it!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

regular remote group interview

There is nothing regular about a group interview, never mind a remote group interview.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

gucci void main posted:

This makes absolutely no sense. A 1 hour interview with 3 devs and a manager costs significantly more than a 1 hour interview with just 1 other guy. 1:1 time is significantly easier to schedule than a group interview, as groups will have conflicting availability. In what world does more effort and more expenditure equal less care?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Sarcophallus posted:

This makes absolutely no sense. A 1 hour interview with 3 devs and a manager costs significantly more than a 1 hour interview with just 1 other guy. 1:1 time is significantly easier to schedule than a group interview, as groups will have conflicting availability. In what world does more effort and more expenditure equal less care?

You seem to be thinking of an interview with 1 candidate and multiple employees. In this case, we're talking about a "group interview" with a group of candidates.

3 1 hour interviews with individual candidates costs less than a 1 hour interview with 3 candidates all together.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Steve French posted:

There is nothing regular about a group interview, never mind a remote group interview.

The uk has a weird fascination with group interviews, often called assessment centers, so it might be a cultural thing

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Oh wow, I was also reading this thread under the impression this was a multiple employees to one candidate situation. Flipped around the case sounds a lot less pleasant.

How does that even work? Do they have you all work on a problem on a whiteboard each, or do they somehow have you compete for who gets poo poo right first.. or?

Never heard of anything like that, but would be fun (in a macabre way) to hear what that experience looks like.

I guess one scenario where this makes sense is when your company is continuously interviewing that giant grye mass of programmers who try to get in through the front door, most of whom would fail fizzbuzz. At that point perhaps putting 20 of them in a big conference room at once and having them all fizzbuzz in parallel will help you move of to interviewing 1 or 2 of them.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 19, 2013

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that there are interview candidates that actually do fail fizzbuzz.

I'm in my first semester after coming back to school and in a bunch of introductory CS courses (pre-requisites :() and, while keeping in mind that I already have some prior programming experience, those classes are almost insultingly easy. And I absolutely would expect people who've passed those introductory courses to be able to write FizzBuzz.

So where do those people come from?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Brannock posted:

Recruiters, mostly. :v:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's possible to pass those introductory courses without really understanding what you are doing. I think it usually involves guess and check (or Google and check) programming, and/or copying friends' work. It still boggles the mind, though.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Brannock posted:

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that there are interview candidates that actually do fail fizzbuzz.

I'm in my first semester after coming back to school and in a bunch of introductory CS courses (pre-requisites :() and, while keeping in mind that I already have some prior programming experience, those classes are almost insultingly easy. And I absolutely would expect people who've passed those introductory courses to be able to write FizzBuzz.

There was a post on HN recently trying to clarify that situation. According to its hypothesis, there are terrible people in any industry, and in programming you see these people apply to every company in existence through the front door. They get turned down, they apply elsewhere, rinse and repeat. You end up with this giant snowball of people who are continuously applying everywhere and being rejected most of the time, or being hired and fired almost instantly. Most of these companies would prefer to hire great engineers, but about 1 out of 600 applicants is one. Most high quality developers are rarely if ever part of that front-door crowd, so it's basically a matter of filtering through hundreds if not thousands of awful applicants until you find one that's ok.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 19, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yup. There's an inverse correlation between quality of programmer and time spent in the interview pool. Thus, terrible programmers are over represented when you look at interviews as a whole.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I think if I sat down for an interview with Joel Spolsky I would fail fizzbuzz too just to get the gently caress out of there before he starts talking again.

evensevenone fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 19, 2013

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i've never heard of a group interview and i think that's the dumbest poo poo i've ever heard of

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Zhentar posted:

It's possible to pass those introductory courses without really understanding what you are doing. I think it usually involves guess and check (or Google and check) programming, and/or copying friends' work. It still boggles the mind, though.

I remember a senior level graphics class where they have you implement a simple raytracing engine and this one dude went up to the TA asking for debugging help. I think this was a month or two into the class. Turns out he didn't know about subroutines and his entire app was this one giant main function.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Cicero posted:

Yup. There's an inverse correlation between quality of programmer and time spent in the interview pool. Thus, terrible programmers are over represented when you look at interviews as a whole.

:sweatdrop:

evensevenone posted:

I think if I sat down for an interview with Joel Spolsky I would fail fizzbuzz too just to get the gently caress out of there before he starts talking again.

I laughed.

OK so I passed the "chat in a coffee house with the manager" screen and am being given a coding challenge over the weekend. It's supposed to take about two hours. It's just over Github, not through Interview Street or anything. Any tips for working on this kind of thing?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

i've never heard of a group interview and i think that's the dumbest poo poo i've ever heard of
I don't know in this specific case but as someone already mentioned, you do get what are called Assessment Centres or Assessment Days where basically you get a bunch of people that you might like to interview and you throw them in a big room for a day and have them do things like work in groups to build bridges out of newspapers and stuff like that. There is often an individual test of some kind included like a IQ or lateral-thinking quiz, or similar. The idea is to spot people who work well with other people and who have the right attributes to fit into the environment.

I was under the impression that places like Google use these but I might be totally wrong. I've never actually done one myself but my brother helped run a couple of these days at one of his jobs.

I've never heard of anyone inviting multiple people into a traditional interview situation, that sounds absolutely ridiculous.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Tunga posted:

I was under the impression that places like Google use these but I might be totally wrong.

Totally wrong.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I do believe the big three use group interviews for some if their college recruiting because there is so much volume. But that's about it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've read that Amazon sometimes includes a group project as part of their hiring process. It seems like they get you in a room with other applicants, you're all given a real-world coding problem, and you have to collaborate on the solution.

Seems a little silly, considering you're basically having to collaborate with others at the same time as trying to not look like you're competing with them. I guess maybe they have enough openings that everyone in the room could get hired if they passed the assessment, removing the element of competition, I don't know.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Steve French posted:

You seem to be thinking of an interview with 1 candidate and multiple employees. In this case, we're talking about a "group interview" with a group of candidates.

3 1 hour interviews with individual candidates costs less than a 1 hour interview with 3 candidates all together.

I was - this makes much more sense, thanks.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
So I am a junior CS major at a top tier public school, and I'm looking for internships for next summer. I only started CS a year ago (was previously a physics major) and have had a 3.8+ GPA the past year, almost only taking 3000/4000 level CS courses.

The problem: I was a dumb, dumb kid a few years back, hated school, had no drive, and took some awful advice from my family that led to dropping out of school with a cool 1.0 GPA to go work. It didn't work out, and I ended up completely broke, and living in my car. After being kicked out of school by the administration, I successfully petitioned to go back in and switch to CS. Now, I feel like I'm doing better in my classes than my peers and have a much stronger work ethic, but it won't show on a transcript (which will show a 2.2 overall GPA with a bunch of F's, albeit from before I ever did CS). How should I go about applying to places with this in mind?

edit:
vv what about places that want a transcript with the application?

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 19, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

smokyprogg posted:

So I am a junior CS major at a top tier public school, and I'm looking for internships for next summer. I only started CS a year ago (was previously a physics major) and have had a 3.8+ GPA the past year, almost only taking 3000/4000 level CS courses.

The problem: I was a dumb, dumb kid a few years back, hated school, had no drive, and took some awful advice from my family that led to dropping out of school with a cool 1.0 GPA to go work. It didn't work out, and I ended up completely broke, and living in my car. After being kicked out of school by the administration, I successfully petitioned to go back in and switch to CS. Now, I feel like I'm doing better in my classes than my peers and have a much stronger work ethic, but it won't show on a transcript (which will show a 2.2 overall GPA with a bunch of F's, albeit from before I ever did CS). How should I go about applying to places with this in mind?

Don't cite your overall GPA, just your major GPA on your CV.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Include in your cover letter an explanation about how you matured over the years. I know someone that had a similar situation and got ibto a good MBA program by including a short exolanation and elaborating in the interview.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I have never had a company ask for my transcript, or even mention anything about my GPA. It's on my résumé, that's it. There should be plenty of companies to apply to that won't ask for a transcript, just give your major GPA as mentioned already.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

smokyprogg posted:

vv what about places that want a transcript with the application?

If they ask for the transcript on the application don't send it. If you end up talking to your hiring person later and they insist on it, just explain your situation.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

GPA only matters if you've not had any job out of school or are within maybe a year of graduating. Virtually no one cares as long as you can exhibit that you have the experience and/or are capable of doing the work associated with the role you are applying for.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

gucci void main posted:

GPA only matters if you've not had any job out of school or are within maybe a year of graduating. Virtually no one cares as long as you can exhibit that you have the experience and/or are capable of doing the work associated with the role you are applying for.
I've mentioned this before, but this is industry specific, but there are fewer industries where it matters than those where it doesn't. Government work cares about your GPA regardless of how long ago it was and GPA above a threshold is generally the gatekeeper for applications.

I only know about this because I've been busting my rear end to keep my GPA at a 4.0 as there is a VERY local government contractor (e.g., walk to work in a city where that's almost impossible) that pays 50% higher than market rate. They filter out anything lower than a 3.5 automatically, so regardless of your story or situation, HR never even sees your resume if its lower than 3.5. I also knew a few people that work there and networking is not enough to overcome the requirement, as another of our friends was rejected solely due to GPA even though he was a perfect canditate otherwise. I know, I know: "why would you want to work there if they do that?"

In this case, the pros outweigh the cons.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

smokyprogg posted:

The problem: I was a dumb, dumb kid a few years back, hated school, had no drive, and took some awful advice from my family that led to dropping out of school with a cool 1.0 GPA to go work. It didn't work out, and I ended up completely broke, and living in my car. After being kicked out of school by the administration, I successfully petitioned to go back in and switch to CS. Now, I feel like I'm doing better in my classes than my peers and have a much stronger work ethic

Also, never underestimate the possible benefits of this in the long run. If it put the fire back in you to study and improve yourself then it's worth the required handwaving when it comes to explaining it. If your family had pressured you into staying, you might have carried on, scraped through etc, but your GPA would be down and you might still be feeling burnt out/apathetic towards work.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Steve French posted:

I have never had a company ask for my transcript, or even mention anything about my GPA.

google has (had?) a huge, ridiculous boner about GPA

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Instead of focussing on the few basket cases that care about GPA, focus on the rest of the industry that doesn't give a flying gently caress as long as you can somehow prove that a) you can program computers, b) you like programming computers, and c) you shower regularly and aren't an annoying nerd. B and C are probably optional for some industries.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

rotor posted:

clarification: not saying they've never cared about it, I've just never been asked about it. Presumably if they cared they read it on my résumé, but never cared about the breakdown enough to ask for a transcript.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

evensevenone posted:

Instead of focussing on the few basket cases that care about GPA, focus on the rest of the industry that doesn't give a flying gently caress as long as you can somehow prove that a) you can program computers, b) you like programming computers, and c) you shower regularly and aren't an annoying nerd. B and C are probably optional for some industries.
Fair enough, but its worthy enough of a caveat IF you are specifically interested in those industries where it matters. Personally, I'd rather work in an industry that interests me outside of the actual programming. If that doesn't apply to someone, then you are certainly correct in that worrying about it is pointless, but its hardly a case where a blanket statement without clarification covers all bases.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

rotor posted:

Weird. I've heard of people with <3.0 GPA's get Google interviews straight out of school 8 years ago. They definitely don't care now after you've had experience.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rurutia posted:

They definitely don't care now after you've had experience.

Yep, never had it came up for them in multiple in-person interviews for software engineer roles in the last couple of years.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Rurutia posted:

Weird. I've heard of people with <3.0 GPA's get Google interviews straight out of school 8 years ago. They definitely don't care now after you've had experience.

And in that same time frame I had a friend go through several interviews, only to have his resume personally yanked by Larry Page and have to go through another round. Google didn't have the best hiring practices.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

JawnV6 posted:

only to have his resume personally yanked by Larry Page

How did he find that out? Did they send him a letter saying that Larry Page personally thought he might be an idiot or what?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
As late as 2011 they were quite open about the practice of having one of the founders personally review every single hire. I don't know why you're acting incredulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Uziel posted:

I know, I know: "why would you want to work there if they do that?"

In this case, the pros outweigh the cons.

You know you can move, right? It's not even that hard.