Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Raizor posted:

I really truly hope there's nobody actually out there who eventually managed to clear VR mission 18 without getting first place. That would just be too much.

I guess if you somehow managed to get good enough at parrying to be able to straight up hold your own against those kinds of enemies for that long without taking a single hit while also not being quite good enough to be able to reliably get the necessary parry counters to get through the first few waves quickly and thus instead be forced to just use regular attacks. But, man, it's gotta be harder to get that many regular parries in a row than it is to get like five perfects to do it normally.

Basically, VR #18 is to perfect parrying as Blade Wolf is to parrying.

(It also teaches you how to take out two Mastiffs (and several dwarf gekko) with one parry. Now that's satisfying.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Neruz posted:

"If you're looking for a humanoid blender that shares more in common with a natural disaster than a man then we have so got you covered. Raiden get over here we need you to carve a path of death and destruction across some poor hapless country."
"But I don't want to be an engine of death."
"There are child soldiers there."
"Prepare the delivery system, I leave within the hour. Wolf, feel like scouting ahead?"

"You want a guy who doesn't want to kill the innocent? We have your man!"
"He saved our lives!" *group of cyborg kids*
"You want someone who won't hesitate to kill the poo poo out of the enemy without flinching? We have your man!"
*RAIDEN THE HUMAN BLENDER*
"They're even the same man! It's economical!"

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
See, that would actually be really loving useful in real life. Something that is tremendously dangerous that doesn't also cause tremendous collateral damage is pretty much a dream scenario for most militaries. No human rights fuss, no insurgents left alive, a lot of budget left over for booze and hookers.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veyrall posted:

See, that would actually be really loving useful in real life. Something that is tremendously dangerous that doesn't also cause tremendous collateral damage is pretty much a dream scenario for most militaries. No human rights fuss, no insurgents left alive, a lot of budget left over for booze and hookers.

There's a reason why everyone keeps trying to make more Snakes.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Veyrall posted:

That's all well and good, but god help you if Raiden finds out that you're doing something he finds evil on the side, cause he'll definitely come chop your poo poo up regardless of what city or country you're in and who you've got protecting you.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Veyrall posted:

a lot of budget left over for booze and hookers.

I imagine maintaining a cyborg body of Raiden's caliber would probably cost about as much as a functioning military unit, if not more. So probably not.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I doubt it. He has less hardware than any of the Winds of Destruction, being mostly just a human-form body cranked to 11,000 and using a bitchin' sword. Desperado was able to maintain at least three cyborgs with equivalent or greater hardware, and have enough money left over for a multitude of regular cyborgs, UGs, etc. Now, there could be an argument for...

Dear god, I'm arguing the economic ramifications of dealing with a cyborg like Raiden. :psyduck: Is it like this in the other Metal Gear threads?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
No, just the internet at large.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Veyrall posted:

Civilian casualties might be pretty low, but structural damage was pretty high in almost all of the game.

Granted that wasn't always Raiden's fault, but he was complicit in quite a bit of it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Civilian casualties might be pretty low, but structural damage was pretty high in almost all of the game.

Granted that wasn't always Raiden's fault, but he was complicit in quite a bit of it.

The World Marshall building was almost 100% World Marshall shooting at it's own HQ. The Refinery was a crazy dude pushing a button. The facility where George and the others were stored didn't actually suffer much in the way of structural damage. Denver, unless you went out of your way to cut stuff up, there's one footbridge you have to knock down to get at a GRAD. At the US military base in Pakistan, the damage was caused by Excelsus, a machine designed to cause as much collateral damage as possible.

All told he's got a pretty good track record.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

apostateCourier posted:

Except that one time at the very beginning of the game in African Nation where he gets out of the car and slices a whole bunch of buildings to pieces for literally no reason.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fedule posted:

Except that one time at the very beginning of the game in African Nation where he gets out of the car and slices a whole bunch of buildings to pieces for literally no reason.

That's how you save a Prime Minister, duh. :rolleyes:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

apostateCourier posted:

Circumstances aside, he's still 1 for 3 in keeping presidents alive :frogbon:

Edit: maybe 1 for 4 if you count N'mani, lol

srb
Jul 24, 2007
N'mani was a Prime Minister, doesn't count.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
He's about as good at saving world leaders as Otacon is at saving women.

Sunny should think twice about entering politics.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Thinking on it a little bit, MGS main characters are pretty lovely at protecting VIPs. Peace Walker is the only game I can think of where someone you needed to protect didn't end up getting killed in front of you. Unless you count Rocket Peace or Chico's dad.

List I came up with starting with mgs1:
MGS1: Darpa Chief/Baker
MGS2: Emma, the president
MGS3: Sokolov
MGS4: Eva
MGR:R: PM N'mani

I don't remember MG1 and 2 enough to list those.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 20, 2013

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

Oh, right, forgot about the prologue. Yeah, he goofed pretty badly there, it's not like he couldn't have stopped those three cyborgs without creating a barricade behind him. Still, in terms of damage he's personally responsible for, the total is fairly reasonable considering what he was up against.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

beep by grandpa posted:

Thinking on it a little bit, mgs main characters are pretty lovely at protecting VIPs. Peace Walker is the only game I can think of where someone you needed to protect didn't ended up getting killed in front of you. Unless you count Rocket Peace.

List I came up with starting with mgs1:
MGS1: Darpa Chief/Baker
MGS2: Emma, the president
MGS3: Sokolov
MGS4: Eva
MGR:R: PM N'mani

I don't remember MG1 and 2 enough to list those.

MG1 doesn't have anyone, I think, but Kio Marv, the man who Snake was supposed to rescue in MG2, ended up getting killed before Snake could reach him. Also, I thought Sokolov survived for Portable Ops?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Sokolov survives because The Boss helped him escape. But Naked Snake still got him shot in the knees by Volgin.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Sokolov survives because The Boss helped him escape. But Naked Snake still got him shot in the knees by Volgin.

I recall Sokolov gets killed by Volgin when the screen's still black during the torture scene. You don't see it but you hear it.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

I recall Sokolov gets killed by Volgin when the screen's still black during the torture scene. You don't see it but you hear it.

Fake death pill.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

I cannot wait for the DLC vids. Assuming whoever ports it to PC does a good job, I'll definitely be picking it up, entirely because of this LP.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

apostateCourier posted:

Oh, right, forgot about the prologue. Yeah, he goofed pretty badly there, it's not like he couldn't have stopped those three cyborgs without creating a barricade behind him. Still, in terms of damage he's personally responsible for, the total is fairly reasonable considering what he was up against.

It was a pretty conservative move. In case Raiden doesn't take on everyone like a super ninja should, the PM still has a headstart (not that it mattered, thanks Sundowner!).

srb posted:

N'mani was a Prime Minister, doesn't count.

Prime Minister of Africa! :goonsay:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Has anyone had a problem with left-hand-guys not having their IDs on them? I've got all of them except Dwight, who everyone tells me is on the stairs before you reach Monsoon, but I've just played through that area like three times and he's not there. Well, he's there, but he doesn't have a left hand ID for me to grab. Advice?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Not sure if I need spoilers for Portable Ops, but - he was retconned back to life. (Then died anyway, I think.)

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

VagueRant posted:

Not sure if I need spoilers for Portable Ops, but - he was retconned back to life. (Then died anyway, I think.)

Nope! Nope. That's stupid. Nope.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

bhlaab posted:

And now you know why Peace Walker basically shoved Portable Ops out of the continuity.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
They've been doing that since MSX days though. The first boss in MG2 is a guy who clearly died in MG1, and he offers an explanation for his survival that kinda makes sense in the moment but doesn't at all in the context of his death in the first game. Metal Gear!!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

bhlaab posted:

But he made Space Metal Gear. That's got to count for something.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I can't believe you guys are discussing characters that have died and inexplicably come back in Metal Gear and nobody has mentioned Liquid Ocelot. Sure that got 'explained', eventually, but the MG series has a long history of shenanegins regarding death.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

bhlaab posted:

Pretty much a summary of Portable Ops.

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.

Neruz posted:

I can't believe you guys are discussing characters that have died and inexplicably come back in Metal Gear and nobody has mentioned Liquid Ocelot. Sure that got 'explained', eventually, but the MG series has a long history of shenanegins regarding death.

Dr. Madnar, anyone? Throwaway line in MGS4, yes, but not an ounce of explanation or retconning beyond not mentioning him after that one line.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

QuetzaDrake posted:

Dr. Madnar, anyone? Throwaway line in MGS4, yes, but not an ounce of explanation or retconning beyond not mentioning him after that one line.

Didn't he get blown up by RC missiles? He must have the same HMO as Big Boss.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Neruz posted:

"But I live on through this arm!"
"Liquid's arm!?!"

Yeah, that's still one of my favorite moments, as crazy as it was. I'm disappointed they retconned it, they should've just let it stand.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Patter Song posted:

"But I live on through this arm!"
"Liquid's arm!?!"

Yeah, that's still one of my favorite moments, as crazy as it was. I'm disappointed they retconned it, they should've just let it stand.

Pretty much. I actually found it easier to accept 'magic talking arm' than accepting... whatever the gently caress goof-rear end explanation MGS4 had.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Agent Interrobang posted:

Pretty much. I actually found it easier to accept 'magic talking arm' than accepting... whatever the gently caress goof-rear end explanation MGS4 had.

NANOMACHINES SON

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
They didn't, he was possessed but then he wasn't anymore so he decided to fake it to further his own goals. That's why Cam Clarke didn't come back for MGS4. Also Ocelot's just that kind of guy. I sincerly hope that they find a was to retcon his death for Rising 2. We need that kind of crazy in a villain.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Neruz posted:

NANOMACHINES SON

Hypnotism, actually. The self-trick. The trickiest of tricks.

Man, the word "trick" kind of starts to lose it's meaning when you're talking about Ocelot. Like when you say a word over and over to yourself.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
^ :argh: You tricked me!

David D. Davidson posted:

They didn't, he was possessed but then he wasn't anymore so he decided to fake it to further his own goals. That's why Cam Clarke didn't come back for MGS4. Also Ocelot's just that kind of guy. I sincerly hope that they find a was to retcon his death for Rising 2. We need that kind of crazy in a villain.

Actually Ocelot had the arm removed because being possessed was kind of a nuisance and got a robot arm in its place, but then he decided being possessed was kind of cool so he hypnotised himself into thinking he was possessed by Liquid.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Ariong posted:

Hypnotism, actually. The self-trick. The trickiest of tricks.

I thought it was mentioned that nanomachines were part of the process by which he was hypnotised into thinking he was Liquid.

• Locked thread