Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raven9686
Feb 17, 2012
This Classic Run has finally made me understand.

Man gently caress Thinmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Over 400 hours according to Steam and I didn't realize the grapple on Skeleton suits had such a long range. I was always using them by moving almost adjacent to whatever I was trying to grapple, but now thanks to watching some Youtube multiplayer matches I'm zipping up to the roof on the Bar & Grill on turn one. It also makes the gas pump map a million times better since I discovered you can grapple up to the roof over the pumps right away.

Captain Beans posted:

Has Long War reach a point where people would recommend it?

Yeah, I'd recommend it. I've been playing it since I re-installed after EW was revealed and it's mostly good. The best thing about it is how much longer it makes the game, though some people consider it a grind. I also like how just about everything is incredibly expensive so it forces you to make difficult choices about what to build (tip : don't bother with SHIVs, despite all the work the modders have done they're still not really worth it).

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I'm playing the game on normal for the second time, last I played was the start of this year. I reached the point where I have the gallop chamber ready and I'm just taking months to let my veteran colonels blow off steam by stepping on ET necks all over the globe.

Standard MO is to send two DT snipers up in the air at the start of the map and run ghosted supports and assaults to find the alien squads and set up ambushes. This is really fun, but it has been exposing how goddamn broken all the AI Activation Scripts are.

Often the enemy squads will start to run around even though only ghosted troops have seen them. During terror missions where I'm ghosting from civilian to civilian, sometimes the enemy squads will be seemingly following my troops around, like they know where my guys are but they aren't allowed to attack. And of course once one of the squad gets taken out, then the activation animation plays again and the aliens scramble to cover.

Double tap is another place where the activation plays hell. Usually, if a squad gets woken up by one of my DT snipers, after the activation animation plays, the game skips my sniper's second shot, then moves on to the next troop, and won't allow me to re-select that sniper to take the shot. Sometimes the double tap doesn't work on attacking enemies either.

Bah.

What is the significance of the alien head symbols with the yellow crosshair on them that my snipers usually, but not always get?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Copper Vein posted:

What is the significance of the alien head symbols with the yellow crosshair on them that my snipers usually, but not always get?

Those are enemies that you're able to target due to Squad Sight, rather than enemies that would normally be in your firing range.

And I swear that there's a cool-down on Double Tap that they don't mention. Either that or you can only DT on enemies that you can target when you first fire, not enemies that come into view/Squad Sight later in the turn. I don't know for sure what's going on, but I've had similar experiences.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
According to the description it has a one turn cool down, so it activates every other turn.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

Has Long War reach a point where people would recommend it?

I know a few months back people were suggesting to hold off till it had some more time in development, but it looks like a major new version has come out since I last looked.

I would recommend it. It's not for everyone, but it has many very cool innovations that significantly improve the vanilla game for me.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Raven9686 posted:

This Classic Run has finally made me understand.

Man gently caress Thinmen
On that note, this happened to me today. Bomb disposal on the long war mod, 14 of the bastards killed for just one of my troops (crit from the edge of sight while behind full cover too!). I had to savescum a lot on this mission, not because I was getting angry or couldn't deal with normal Thin Man bullshit, but because of so many bugs screwing things up. LOS bugs popped up maybe 4 times, and tricky grenade tosses kept moving back and forth from where I wanted to throw (press enter instead of clicking!). In the screens I had to savescum to get the flanking bonus on the, um, very close and personal Thin Man.

I also learned from this mission that Thin Men dropping from roofs right in front of overwatched troops won't trigger reaction fire. Go figure!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

StringOfLetters posted:

I'm kind of baffled that they went through all the effort of filling every city map with those invincible space pods and weird green goop covered abductees(?) and then never once had anyone address them.

Also, this Long War mod has some bullshit in it. Early UFO landing, cleared most of the map. Get it down to five xcoms, all behind heavy cover in various positions, against the very last Outsider, who is in a debris corner of partial cover. Everyone has a 50-70% chance to hit him. Doesn't happen. Over the next five turns, he 1-shots all of my remaining guys. Between missing, panic, and the fact that rifles only do two damage per hit, his regeneration keeps him at full health every turn.
Move around, you have five guys and he can't have cover against all of them. Get someone to flank him if you can. Get suppression on him. Have any snipers you have use steady weapon before you activate the Outsider. That's if you don't have any rockets. If you have rockets, blow him the gently caress up.

Its a sad fact, but rocketeers are absolutely mandatory to have on Long War missions. Like, to the point in 1.92 that was my deciding factor in whether I was going to go on a mission or not was whether I had a rocketeer.

edit: vvvv Shredder rounds, man. I need that debuff. And put a scope on your rocketeer, it helps with the aiming. Also, just because you can move/shoot doesn't mean you should. Finally, yeah, until you get Danger Zone, rockets are much more about single-target fuckery or large-scale cover removal than killing lots at once. Aim directly at what you want dead and you'll almost certainly hit it.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 18, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I dunno, early on in my Long War run, I'm finding Engineers more useful than Rocketeers. The Rocketeers miss to drat much! I can't rely on them for anything except against big mobs spread out, and even thn I'm probably only killing one or two. An Engineer has four grenades that always go exactly where I need them. Not as much damage, sure, but I need that accuracy more.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, early on in my Long War run, I'm finding Engineers more useful than Rocketeers. The Rocketeers miss to drat much! I can't rely on them for anything except against big mobs spread out, and even thn I'm probably only killing one or two. An Engineer has four grenades that always go exactly where I need them. Not as much damage, sure, but I need that accuracy more.

Engineers own. You should train them up ASAP. They get all the greatest utility skills. Going straight left side perks is amazing:

Sapper - Grenades do +1 Damage and triple environmental damage (this is key because in LW UFO walls do not blow up when you sneeze on them)

Holo-Targeting - Being able to spam this skill with something other than a Heavy is really awesome.

Repair - +3 Arc Thrower Charges for a total of 4. Dramatically increases Arc Thrower utility and ability to stun. Drop a smoke grenade on your Engineer if the Stun fail and you want to take another chance!

HEAT - Now your Engineer can 1 shot drones that hug the ground and seriously mess up Cyberdiscs and Sectopods even with Frags.

Deep Pockets - Grenades and Arc Thrower and Stims is so rad.

Bombadier - You can hit things out of sight range with this like a BOSS. This plus Skel suit movement is the longest range explosions in the game. Better than rockets in many cases because it can't miss and LOS is rarely an issue.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I just now read about XCom: Enemy Within from the latest GameInformer, and it sounds awesome.

Any word on what all the changes for MP is going to be?

While I love the single player version, multiplayer was hella fun, too.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

BenRGamer posted:

Notta thing. EDIT: No, wait, they've confirmed things. I completely forgot.

It'd be real nice if it had more objective-type gameplay, like where one side is human-only and the alien side has twice the force, but has to divide it into checkpoints or something. Just as an idea. But that's probably not going to happen.

MechPlasma fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 18, 2013

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

MechPlasma posted:

Notta thing.

It'd be real nice if it had more objective-type gameplay, like where one side is human-only and the alien side has twice the force, but has to divide it into checkpoints or something. Just as an idea. But that's probably not going to happen.

There's going to be off-line squad selection so you don't have to fiddle with it during match-start, and they've said they are adding around eight or so new multiplayer maps in the expansion

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

BenRGamer posted:

So, I just now read about XCom: Enemy Within from the latest GameInformer, and it sounds awesome.

While I love the single player version, multiplayer was hella fun, too.

What we know so far:

+8 MP Maps (total of 13)
Offline squad editing and saving pre-designed squads (no more fiddling in the lobby!)
All announced EW units will be playable in MP
General points rebalancing (at minimum Rookies and explosives will get point cost reductions)
Unspecified bug fixes (MP will benefit from SP bugfixes too, particularly Map geometry fixes and UI improvements)

I personally expect that they will do the following in addition (please note that this is my wish list and has NOT been hinted at or confirmed by any official source):

1. Disconnect will now = loss.
2. Chat enabled in lobby.
3. Improved matchmaking.
4. Disable UI delays (like critical wounds, Sniper animation, and reaction fire slo-mo).
5. New MP modes (Bomb disposal, capture the Meld, etc.)

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

How does this game decide/What causes this game not to autosave? It is unreliable to roll back to the autosave at the beginning of a turn when you wake up three muton squads or the camera glides one pixel just as you click and your soldier wastes both movement points instead of just one. The autosaves are often there, but are also frequently two turns old. I've been deleting all autosaves at the start of each map hoping that would help. Maybe it's just based on the time since last autosave?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Copper Vein posted:

How does this game decide/What causes this game not to autosave? It is unreliable to roll back to the autosave at the beginning of a turn when you wake up three muton squads or the camera glides one pixel just as you click and your soldier wastes both movement points instead of just one. The autosaves are often there, but are also frequently two turns old. I've been deleting all autosaves at the start of each map hoping that would help. Maybe it's just based on the time since last autosave?

If you're rewinding multiple turns back, I think that might trip up the autosave system when you get to the next turn and it sees there is already an autosave file for that turn number in the mission.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So I'm playing on my impossible play through, fourth mission, and I get the incredibly cramped graveyard map and activate nine of the Sectoids in two turns with my best units stuck in half cover. Oh well, It's been fun but it looks like that's XCO.... wait all of the Sectoids flubbed their shots, even after destroying the cover for my squad sight sniper and leaving her wide open. Then I kill two mind melders with sub 50% shots while some more aliens park themselves in a flanked position. Then I kill some more, and some more while the aliens fail to kill anybody despite nobody having more than five HP (my sniper took three lumps of plasma to the face). Then I win, despite making literally every dumb textbook mistake (activate every alien at once, fail to use any explosives, take lovely 30-60% shots instead of hunkering down, placing people in half cover, didn't bring a heavy etc) With NO casualties.

This isn't the XCOM I know whats going on :tinfoil:.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 19, 2013

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Goddammit why do discs and cryssalids get to travel cross country to your rear end upon activation? Cryssalids especially I've seen run out of the fog, activate, then cover more ground than my troops can in a beeline for a soldier with no points left.

Discs love to slowly hover over top of whatever poor rear end in a top hat took one-too-many steps and disturbed them in their dark corner, only to get overwatched by Andre "The Heat" Benson and fall on the soldier's head.

Also, is there a reason that Flush would not force a Sectoid Commander out of half-cover even after it does 3 DMG to him? It said 100% to hit, it hit 'im, then he just sat there looking at me. Is Flush another broken thing in this game?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Ah, Berserkers! My PC grinds to a shuddering halt each time they do their free move towards whoever shot them. I dread the day I meet more than one at once and hit them with AoE.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I once shredded five berserkers at once. I had never seen a computer program display agony before that.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Ah, Berserkers! My PC grinds to a shuddering halt each time they do their free move towards whoever shot them. I dread the day I meet more than one at once and hit them with AoE.

It's a known bug, very few people seem to have them move normally and no-one seems to know what's the cause of it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jolan posted:

It's a known bug, very few people seem to have them move normally and no-one seems to know what's the cause of it.
I was just about to ask about that. I have a one-month old laptop with a 3GB video card that practically begs for mercy each time I hit a Beserker. It's really weird.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Once I hit three berserkers at once. My computer simply froze in shock and died on the spot.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Lotish posted:

Once I hit three berserkers at once. My computer simply froze in shock and died on the spot.
It caused a panic chain that also took out my phone and xbox :(

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
This I/I run is going to take forever! I'm hard for elerium as it is, need more to finish the Titan/ghost armor. Woo! Supply barge!

Of course the sectoid commanders spawn right in my face. Pop them, but they Do seem to call for help. Because next turn I get:

6 heavy floaters
1 cyberdisc + drones
1 sectopod + drones
3 Muton elites
2 mutons + berserker

Never straight up ran like that before. Had to abort due to casualties and hard fighting, but never just outright ran for my life!

No fatalities, thankfully.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Do enemies 'share' information with eachother re grenade lobbing? Like, if you have 2 dudes in close proximity and only one enemy can see them both, will another enemy who can only see one be able to grenade them using that information?

Because I think this just happened to me on my Classic Ironman run. Everything was going swimmingly, then some turd muton barges into the middle of my squad, flanks himself but jams a plasma shot up my colonel assaults backside. Then a muton on the other side of the wall lobs a grenade straight at my assault and the almost-colonel heavy who was standing next to him.

Wall breaks, two more packs of mutons activate, half my squad dies in a hail of plasma fire, I ragequit.

My colonel sniper is still there. I'll evac him when my blood pressure settles.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

immortal flow posted:

Do enemies 'share' information with eachother re grenade lobbing? Like, if you have 2 dudes in close proximity and only one enemy can see them both, will another enemy who can only see one be able to grenade them using that information?
Yes, all (activate) aliens have the same information. So they'll do stuff like that, or move for flanks against soldiers they can't personally see, and similar things. Treat it like there's someone in command on the alien side who has shared vision just like you do.

In fact, I believe -- but can't prove -- that the alien AI actually has perfect knowledge of where your soldiers are at all times, even if they don't have vision on you. Pay close enough attention to their moves and you'll eventually see things that really only make sense for an AI to do if that's the case. The most basic example would be the "Rambo Sectoid" when the last alien of a group retreats back into the fog after you kill the rest of his friends. They'll come back for you in a few turns, even if you move to a different area (generally showing up behind you with flanks on half your team). If you play with the mindset that every alien always knows your location, even if a guy is in a concealed location without ever being in alien vision, you won't be surprised.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 20, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Klyith posted:

In fact, I believe -- but can't prove -- that the alien AI actually has perfect knowledge of where your soldiers are at all times, even if they don't have vision on you.
Even if they do, they do not act on it in any substantial way. It's EXTREMELY easy to set up a flank on an AI opponent who no longer has vision on you. Simply array yourself with the presumption that he will act on your last known position, and even on Classic or Impossible he will very often blunder right into a trap. This is not an AI shortcoming, it is working as intended.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Sectopods definitely know where you are at all times.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Deuce posted:

Sectopods definitely know where you are at all times.

Yeah, it's clear by how they target ghosted characters in cover with their AoE attack, when no one else is in that area.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The AI plays by the same rules you do. They can't react to you if they don't have eyes on you, full stop.

If you end up with one dude running away the only way you'll come across each other is by chance.

The only real advantage the AI has on you is it can remember which specific tile your unit was on before it lost line of sight. This is how sectopods can seemingly crush you from beyond the mists or how units somehow know which specific tile they can enter without triggering overwatch - you failed to move your units.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Lotish posted:

Yeah, it's clear by how they target ghosted characters in cover with their AoE attack, when no one else is in that area.

I think the AI just cheats in general if they can see a guy before he ghosts. One time I had a heavy floater chase around a ghosted assault for a few turns.

I was not amused.

Quift
May 11, 2012
This week I managed to accomplishments. I finallly finished this thread, and I beat Classic Ironman.

Worst battle was after my 2 snipers got ambushed while they where catching up to the rest of the crew that breached a scout by activated mutons who had ran off to the right of the UFO. They must have ran around the entire thing cause theuy ambushed from the left and cot a crit and a kill on my snipers. I take them out next turn and finish the mission but next terror mission I have no snipers and 2 rookies and my 4 vets (1 medic, 2 assaults, 1 heavy) all majors. Total squad wipe.

Then I start over with one captain sniper and squaddies. Due to money shortages I had barely been able to recruit up my casualties so had no B-team. at all during the game.

Later on I have started to have a deccent squad again and I'm desperate for alloys, fragments and elerium to properly equip everyone. Hey, suppy barge piņata!

I assault te command central in the rear first and take out the 2 sectoid commanders and the 2 mutons in there no problem. Then, the very next move I peek outside the room and activate 2 mutons, 1 berserker, 3 chyssalids, a sectopod, 2 drones and 3 heavy floaters.

I run like the bloody wind out of there and take three casualites. Sniper, assault and heavy get out alive and to the evac. These guys are my last line of defence. If they die, if I loose my squad sight sniper I'm done. There are no rookies in the barracks, no money, no alloys or fragments and 6 countries have left the council. This is the 5t of the month.

I decide to go for it. I very cautiously explore the supply barge now filled with already activated aliens in overwatch, in cover, runnning around. And my first sectopod. I rocking lasers and carapace armor.

After crawling through the ship I manage to finish the misssion by picking off the aliens one by one. The heavy bites it to the sectopod but my asssault and sniper survive and I call it a win. Now I'm swimming in resources and can recruit, tech up, re-arm.

It was seriously this mission that allowed my to finnallly turn the table. It got me the power cells I needed to research alien power, navigation, build beter armor, gave me the resources to do so etc. But when I was sitting there with all my survivors, all the soldiers I had left in the evac zone after having running way from the biggest cluseterfuck of aliens and takin cas during my retreat, the decision to turn back. That was the defining Xcom moment for me.

Also. gently caress heavy mutons. out in the open, right in front of me. Bloody 65% to hit? I got to drop enough thin men in mid air for me to feel vengeance.

Both survivors turned out to be psychic and participated in the final assault.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Lotish posted:

They don't even need that. I had a sectopod teleport away upon activation and spend the next dozen turns bombarding my troops as I searched for it. I circumnavigated an entire supply barge with ordnance falling repeatedly where my troops had just been. Never once had LOS on the thing.

Zigmidge posted:

The AI plays by the same rules you do. They can't react to you if they don't have eyes on you, full stop.

If you end up with one dude running away the only way you'll come across each other is by chance.

The only real advantage the AI has on you is it can remember which specific tile your unit was on before it lost line of sight. This is how sectopods can seemingly crush you from beyond the mists or how units somehow know which specific tile they can enter without triggering overwatch - you failed to move your units.

I moved my units around an entire supply barge and it kept on target.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Alright, first win!

I tried to savescum as little as I could, but there were a few situations - particularly one involving a crashed supply barge - that led to more than a couple of reloads. I wiped out the Alien Base pretty early to prevent the loss of any countries, but I didn't get full coverage until literally about three days before the temple ship assault. The final mission didn't go too badly until about halfway through, when my psionic Sniper took a couple shots from a Muton and ended up bleeding out on a walkway. The second I got into the final room I saturated it with rockets, and ended up losing 3 soldiers to a Rift and had my volunteer get mind-controlled by the surviving boss. My surviving Heavy managed to catch the boss with his second Bulletstorm volley, leaving the only survivors the veteran of 28 missions and my volunteer!

Incidentally, there was a hilarious bug wherein said Heavy panicked while cloaked and the cloak never wore off. I tried not to abuse it, but it did get kind of absurd...

Now just to wait for Enemy Within, so I can do it all again. :v:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Is Endless mode confirmed?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Coolguye posted:

It's EXTREMELY easy to set up a flank on an AI opponent who no longer has vision on you. Simply array yourself with the presumption that he will act on your last known position, and even on Classic or Impossible he will very often blunder right into a trap. This is not an AI shortcoming, it is working as intended.
It's extremely easy to set up flanks on AI aliens full stop. They don't act on predictions like "xcom soldiers have 14 squares of movement, if I stay here I can be flanked next turn". In your example of an alien moving up into a trap, I don't think it's because the alien is acting on your last known position. The easier explanation is that it's moving up into a position that is safe and in cover on that turn that he's moving. It moves up because the all aliens have "move closer" at some level of their decision tree -- obviously chryssalids and zerkers have it as priority #1, while for thin men it's at the bottom of the list. It's not unusual to see a sectoid move from full cover to half cover just to get closer to your dudes. I'm not sure whether that indicates that aliens treat all cover as the same, or if they prioritize being closer more than full cover.

You're playing against a computer program. Making an AI is difficult in the first place; making one that you are intentionally hobbling by removing decision information is harder. Especially when an AI with perfect omniscience but zero memory or planning often feels just as good from the other side of the curtain. The best example of an AI which really is built to respect hidden knowledge is Civ. That's a game that's been under active development for over two decades, and it will still be completely stomped by a human in a even 1v1 match.

Zigmidge posted:

Try this some time: start a new classic game so you're fighting against a known number of plain sectoids. Leave the last one alive and run your guys away, splitting them up and putting them in a variety of places -- full cover, half cover, sitting out in the open, etc. Don't overwatch. I'll bet that sectoid finds your guys way faster than random chance would allow. And I'd further bet that if if you put a guy in the open at about the same distance but different direction than a guy in full cover, it'll find the no cover guy first.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Klyith posted:

I'll bet that sectoid finds your guys way faster than random chance would allow.
I'm not sure you understand the words you're using here.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Don't the last few aliens go into Rambo mode and get told where you are to avoid the "Hunt that last guy down for an hour" syndrome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

amuayse posted:

Is Endless mode confirmed?

Endless mode? The game doesn't end unless you want it to already.

• Locked thread