Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

It's gonna last at least another month or two. Godspeed you crazy kids.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
Some people really do resemble their pets.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012

Story

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

pageerror404 posted:

Some people really do resemble their pets.

wow
no legs
so short
very low
wow

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...

Thanks spell check.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

@TacoPounder69 is the new Weedlord_Bonerhitler.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

That is awesome.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

My Little Generalisimo

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

Yet the URL clearly says "slenderman" in it. Great work, guys.

http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/uw-slenderman/

Victor surge could claim copyright on that right, or has it been "generecized" by now?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Talorat posted:

Victor surge could claim copyright on that right, or has it been "generecized" by now?

You kinda have to assert yourself early and actually be selling it yourself for any court to take it seriously in regards to IP.

I might be completely wrong (extremely likely) but that's one thing I remember from this one day course on IP poo poo way back when.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sad lions posted:

You kinda have to assert yourself early and actually be selling it yourself for any court to take it seriously in regards to IP.

I might be completely wrong (extremely likely) but that's one thing I remember from this one day course on IP poo poo way back when.

The Marble Hornets movie is coming out next year, could they do something about it?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

razorrozar posted:

The Marble Hornets movie is coming out next year, could they do something about it?

I think they're actually helping with that movie, if I remember correctly.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

IUG posted:

I think they're actually helping with that movie, if I remember correctly.

Meant could Marble Hornets do something about the Halloween costume, should have clarified. My bad, here's a funny picture.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Probably not, since it's "Stalker Man", isn't a black suit, doesn't have tentacles, etc.

There's tons of unlicensed junk in Halloween stores that work around copyright loopholes. And besides, is Slenderman even copyrighted?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Well, copyright attaches on completion of the work, but Slender Man's creation was so extensively collaborative, it's pretty hard to say who qualifies as the creator.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Well, copyright attaches on completion of the work, but Slender Man's creation was so extensively collaborative, it's pretty hard to say who qualifies as the creator.

Also Slender Man's creation is kind of an ongoing thing, it could be argued by a good enough lawyer that copyright is not violated because it's still a WIP.

I don't think the movie even uses the term Slender Man though, he's like "the Technician" or something.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

razorrozar posted:

Also Slender Man's creation is kind of an ongoing thing, it could be argued by a good enough lawyer that copyright is not violated because it's still a WIP.

I don't think the movie even uses the term Slender Man though, he's like "the Technician" or something.

The Operator, and yeah, pretty much zero chance MH has any sayso considering they're not even the only web series to feature the guy. Slender man is open source boogey monster at this point

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
So... the punchline is a Belgian beer place advocating whiskey rather than, say, excellent Belgian beer?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/family-accepts-coke-s-apology-for-offensive-bottle-cap-1.1463721

I just keep picturing how angry that bottle is.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's an appropriate comment for anyone who would waste money on vitamin water.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

How is it a promotion to have one random english word and one random french word? How monkey fromage of coke.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Maybe they were hoping people would think it's a direct translation and go around speaking gibberish in another language.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Krinkle posted:

How is it a promotion to have one random english word and one random french word? How monkey fromage of coke.

Glaceau Vitamin Water is an unending failure by marketing to be hip and exciting. The bottles all have a rambling paragraph of 'topical' humour like how totally crazy orange juice commercials are or about Lindsay Lohan. The promotion, as it was, was supposed to be a game where you try to spell sentences with your water lids when you are with friends, because it's so youthful and fun!

On the plus side, I don't have to throw cases of vitamin water this week.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

He should add this to his probably vast array of titles on his business card.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was going to say that this Doug Loates character has no sense of humor since something like this would make my day, but then I got to the part where it says he has a mentally disabled daughter.

That is a very unlikely and unfortunate chain of events.

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

Hydrolith posted:

So... the punchline is a Belgian beer place advocating whiskey rather than, say, excellent Belgian beer?

Yeah, poor sign choice right there. Now I want a Delirium :cheers:

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

My local police blotter:

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

but then I got to the part where it says he has a mentally disabled daughter.

No - 'developmentally delayed'. What does that even mean? That is a whole new level of super-PC crap.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

VolumeOverTalent posted:

No - 'developmentally delayed'. What does that even mean? That is a whole new level of super-PC crap.

It's the clinical term for when a child is way behind on their developmental milestones. It's a description of literally what is going on, not of the underlying cause, which could be any number of things. So simmer down you fuckin' weiner.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Somewhat ironically, it literally does mean exactly the same thing that "retarded" was once used to mean, less mentally developed than is expected for one's age.

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa
And before that the medical term was "idiot". Welcome to the euphemism treadmill!

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Not really, actually. Mental retardation still refers to a set of very specific disorders, namely when IQ is well below expected. The most common way to rate for something like profound mental retardation is through brain damage or when parts of the brain just didn't develop, while mild retardation is typically in the IQ range of 50's-70's. Developmentally delayed refers to something like a reading, language, mathematics or motor skills disorder. :science:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Crocuta posted:

And before that the medical term was "idiot". Welcome to the euphemism treadmill!

I understand why people always try to move away from terms that turn into insults. I don't want people with mental handicaps to feel devalued. But I don't foresee a point ever where "you have sub-norm mental faculties", whatever the word used is, won't be turned into an insult. At least not until intellect stops being valued as a trait.

Content: Zombie Kama Sutra
Somehwat :nws:
http://i.imgur.com/dcdnmB1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NSJAzYK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/L7hGBZ4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rEllSIp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iZBe6Yy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sstbI9v.jpg

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Cordyceps Headache posted:

I understand why people always try to move away from terms that turn into insults. I don't want people with mental handicaps to feel devalued. But I don't foresee a point ever where "you have sub-norm mental faculties", whatever the word used is, won't be turned into an insult. At least not until intellect stops being valued as a trait.

So what, I don't forsee a point where we run out of new ways to describe something.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Trainmonk posted:

So what, I don't forsee a point where we run out of new ways to describe something.

I think the objection is over the large "don't use the word retard" campaign.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Basically if you can't insult someone without using a word that is also harmful to a large group of already at-risk people, then you need to significantly expand your vocabulary. It isn't hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Choco1980 posted:

I'm not sure with the Genesis, considering the modem and cleaning kits, but the SNES one should have you go through the codes for the various cheat devices, then go ahead and go to the games on top after a moment. The closest I came to the genesis tower on the other hand, using their rules, was the sega-CD-Genesis-32X-Game Genie-Sonic & Knuckles-Whatever. So, five layers. And three frickin AC adapters.

The SNES one will throw you into the Game Genie menu, followed by the Satellaview if the bypass is working correctly(Which I doubt, since that's a US Super Gameboy and a Japanese Super Gameboy 2 in the back of those Action Replays, there's nothing PAL in there whatsoever) Those NTSC-PAL converters run the game in front using the cart in the back to bypass the lockout.

I also had a similar small tower going on with a Genesis to allow me to play a Japanese copy of Rockman Megaworld on a PAL Megadrive. I had a US-NTSC to PAL converter in the system, and on top of that a Game Genie using a code to conver the game's lockout to US-NTSC(The adapter didn't do Japanese games, just US ones) Later on I found a Game Genie code that allowed me to skip the additional adapter though, since it went straight to PAL.

And of course with Sonic & Knuckles on the bottom of that I could play Blue Spheres.

Smoke has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Sep 21, 2013

• Locked thread