Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Vagrancy posted:

More accurately it's a bug in Android 4.3 which Chrome Beta just happens to be triggering. The Chrome team have filed a bug on the internal Android bug tracker: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=286378#c14

Until the Android team/Qualcomm fixes the underlying problem the best the Chrome team can do is a temporary workaround for 4.3. Doesn't really make sense to roll back advancements in Mobile Chrome just because Android itself is broken.
Chrome Beta has never triggered it on my N4, but aldiko seems to do it regularly on my N7 (2013).
:shrug:

Its a software thing. It'll get fixed. I'm not worried about it, annoying as it is.

edit: That bug tracker also says today's chrome beta build (v30.0.1599.50) fixes chrome to not trigger the issue.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Penguissimo posted:

Oh this is just adorable, especially if you have the Verizon version.

If you're lucky I might show you a battery graph!

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Jesus this thread is disheartening. Are there any Android tablets where catastrophic hardware failures aren't considered par for the course?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

joedevola posted:

Jesus this thread is disheartening. Are there any Android tablets where catastrophic hardware failures aren't considered par for the course?

Nope.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Sorry, this might have been discussed before but, any original Nexus 7 owners noticing insane slowdown in Chrome? When I first installed 4.3 I was like "wow, this thing feels amazing now," but one and a half months later and it's significantly worse than it's ever been. Horrible, almost unusable framerates for almost every single website I visit.

Not sure if it's the 4.3, the version of chrome, or just my tablet...

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Sorry, this might have been discussed before but, any original Nexus 7 owners noticing insane slowdown in Chrome? When I first installed 4.3 I was like "wow, this thing feels amazing now," but one and a half months later and it's significantly worse than it's ever been. Horrible, almost unusable framerates for almost every single website I visit.

Not sure if it's the 4.3, the version of chrome, or just my tablet...
Have you ever filled your tablet memory such that it had less than about 4GB free? You may be suffering from the TRIM issue, which 4.3 fixes but you have to run a one-time manual TRIM if you already had the issue prior to installing. I don't think there's a way to do that without root though.

Alternatively, backup all your poo poo and factory reset.

Having said that, if it's definitely only Chrome that has a problem then it probably isn't that. Try deleting data on Chrome or try the beta instead.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
FSTrim requires root, though - so if that wasn't the first thing you did, you'll have to do it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

joedevola posted:

I thought most of the Galaxy Tabs were pretty good in the reliability department but of course most people in this thread prefer stock Android.

Mr Chaos
Dec 27, 2006
I left it in my other pants...shoes...I never had it.
I'm interested in upgrading from my 32gb 10 inch hp touchpad converted to android. I basically just read on it, books and comics. I'd like something a little lighter. I only spent $150 on this one and it looks like there's still nothing that compares to this price for the same features, even now. Would you recommend anything under $300 that has the same capacity and screen size?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Mr Chaos posted:

I'm interested in upgrading from my 32gb 10 inch hp touchpad converted to android. I basically just read on it, books and comics. I'd like something a little lighter. I only spent $150 on this one and it looks like there's still nothing that compares to this price for the same features, even now. Would you recommend anything under $300 that has the same capacity and screen size?

Unless you're absolutely set on a10" size, the new Nexus 7 seems exactly like what you're looking for. Last year's model would probably work fine as well if you're okay with a lower res screen and want to save a bit more.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_7_32GB?id=nexus_7_32gb_2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I'd just wait until the likely new Nexus 10 in a couple months if you can hang on that long. That should be near your price point and significantly better.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mr Chaos posted:

HP recently announced a duo of new tablets powered by Tegra 4, one of them being an 8" slate with a 1600x1200 screen. Depending on how much it is, it might be a good buy. I'm also looking to transition from my HP Touchpad (which I also use for reading comics and books) to something newer. If Apple makes a retina iPad Mini that blows me away somehow, I may spring for that. Otherwise the HP Slate 8 Pro is looking like my next tablet.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 22, 2013

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Tunga posted:

Having said that, if it's definitely only Chrome that has a problem then it probably isn't that. Try deleting data on Chrome or try the beta instead.

Deleting my cache and data fixed the problem. I didn't think of it because there's no cache stuff in the program's settings, you have to go into your system settings > apps. Somehow it had let my cache balloon up to like 400mb?! Come on Google, you shouldn't let the only browser on your tablet balloon until it's unusable.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

joedevola posted:

Based on what evidence? There's the occasional, "I dropped my tablet and the glass broke" posts, as well as occasional hardware issues, but I haven't really heard of any systematic issues from any major Android tablet released in the last year (N10, N7 2013, even the Nook HD and Kindle Fires). The last common issue I remember was the first round of the N7 2012 which had the screen lift issue and that was far from "catastrophic". 90% of this thread is case questions now, which seems to indicate that there aren't that many problems.

Since I've been reading this thread over a year ago the trend has been on a constant upswing. The first tier devices (N10, N7 2013) are excellent, the 2nd tier (Non-N7 Asus stuff, Samsung stuff, this new nVidia tablet) is usable and even the budget stuff (Hisense Sero 7 Pro) is completely usable. Yea, there's still sub-$100 poo poo that gets sold at Big Lots and you can still find an Ainol Elf if you go looking on Amazon, but nobody buys them anymore.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Those posts were especially amusing considering the contrast with the thread title.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really enjoying my new Nexus 7 so far, but I don't really get the point of having quick access to Google now by swiping up on the home button. This would be cool if I could customize Google now in any way, but the way that it's locked down and tries to guess what I want is extremely irritating. I looked through the user guide, and it doesn't seem like there's much I can do to customize this. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Google Now builds over time the more you use it and the more you use Google services. It will read your email and inform you of flight / weather information if you've booked travel plans. It will also notify you of tracked packages. If you buy stuff from Amazon and other retailers, it will notify you. It also knows where you live and where you worked, based off of location data. It keeps track of your Google search history and suggests relevant stuff to you. If you search for sports teams it will give you scores, etc.

What are you trying to get it to do? You can't customize it that much. It's supposed to just "learn" and be automatic.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

I'm really enjoying my new Nexus 7 so far, but I don't really get the point of having quick access to Google now by swiping up on the home button. This would be cool if I could customize Google now in any way, but the way that it's locked down and tries to guess what I want is extremely irritating. I looked through the user guide, and it doesn't seem like there's much I can do to customize this. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

It's got some limited customisation, I was able to add my favourite football (soccer) team to it, so it shows me upcoming games. I also told it where I work, and where I live, so it can guess how long it will take me to get home.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I've got it doing all of that stuff. But I also have the now widget on one of my screens, so there's infrequently a reason to use a pretty cool feature (the home screen swipe up menu).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And some people prefer to have that as opposed to a widget. Customization is king.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Google Now builds over time the more you use it and the more you use Google services. It will read your email and inform you of flight / weather information if you've booked travel plans. It will also notify you of tracked packages. If you buy stuff from Amazon and other retailers, it will notify you.

All of these features are not available if your account is a Google Apps account. Which is so loving stupid to me and makes no sense whatsoever. Especially if you're a paying Google Apps account user.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

teagone posted:

All of these features are not available if your account is a Google Apps account. Which is so loving stupid to me and makes no sense whatsoever. Especially if you're a paying Google Apps account user.

I would imagine this would boil down to differing privacy and security agreements for apps customers vs regular Google users. Companies that use the apps services probably frown at the idea of Google crunching through all the data they store on Google's servers constantly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Octopode posted:

I would imagine this would boil down to differing privacy and security agreements for apps customers vs regular Google users. Companies that use the apps services probably frown at the idea of Google crunching through all the data they store on Google's servers constantly.

I'd agree with you, but Google makes it really easy to manage what apps and services company employees have access to if they use Google Apps accounts. It's literally done by flipping switches.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Mr Chaos posted:

16gb nook HD's are $119 right now; toss in a 32gb microsd card and you're still under $150

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Jack_tripper posted:

16gb nook HD's are $119 right now; toss in a 32gb microsd card and you're still under $150

If you're reading comics, I would keep an eye out for the HD+ w/ the 9" 1920x1200 screen. They've been selling for $110 "refurbished" (most are reporting they were basically new) occasionally, although the site doing most of the selling is the slowest shipper I've ever encountered. I ordered mine on 8/28 and it's scheduled to be delivered on 9/26. Amazon has some refurbished sellers that will probably give you better service for similar prices.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If you're reading comics, I would keep an eye out for the HD+ w/ the 9" 1920x1200 screen. They've been selling for $110 "refurbished" (most are reporting they were basically new) occasionally, although the site doing most of the selling is the slowest shipper I've ever encountered. I ordered mine on 8/28 and it's scheduled to be delivered on 9/26. Amazon has some refurbished sellers that will probably give you better service for similar prices.

I was referring to the HD+, B&N has them new for 119

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jack_tripper posted:

I was referring to the HD+, B&N has them new for 119

I'm not seeing this:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-hd-plus-barnes-noble/1110060512

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

upsciLLion posted:

For $13 the Poetic Slimline case is very decent. I apparently bought the second of three iterations of the 2013 Nexus 7 case, and the company sent me a third iteration case for free after it came out. It feels a bit sturdier than the second iteration, but it's definitely not as nice as a Portenzo or Dodo case.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Slimline-Portfolio-Automatically-Manufacturer/dp/B008NMCPTQ

I got this one, and first impression is that I like it. Quite a lot in fact. Now let's just hope it holds up over time!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

uXs posted:

I got this one, and first impression is that I like it. Quite a lot in fact. Now let's just hope it holds up over time!
I bought this one from Jerkface and it works well enough. The tri-fold holds it in two different orientations and the magnets work perfectly. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the liner feels slightly weird when you're holding it. I'll get over it, though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Embargo finally down! Weeeeeeee: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/25/4767538/amazon-kindle-fire-hdx-tablets-preview (new Fires)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

$139 for a 7" 1920x1200 tablet. :stare: Whoops, mixed up the prices. the 7" HDX is the one with the 1920x1200 screen, and that's $229. The $139 is just the 7" HD, which has a 1280x800 display. drat, I got more excited than I should have.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 25, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

quote:

Perhaps he's giddy about the leather, magnetized "Origami" covers which bend and twist into all sorts of shapes to help you keep your device upright on flat surfaces

I'm curious about this.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 25, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm curious about this.

It's a $70 case - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I hate the placement of those front facing cameras. Does anyone really want to Skype in landscape orientation?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Absolutely. Set the case into propped up mode and it's perfect for Hangouts or Skype or whatever.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It doesn't seem practical to me. If a case is propped up it's going to be sitting at an angle, looking upward. That kind of thing looks weird when you're Skyping, unless you can get it at or slightly above eye level and then leaning forward somehow.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

It doesn't seem practical to me. If a case is propped up it's going to be sitting at an angle, looking upward. That kind of thing looks weird when you're Skyping, unless you can get it at or slightly above eye level and then leaning forward somehow.
It's exactly the same as using Skype from a laptop.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

drat, I was hoping Amazon would be kind of like Barnes & Noble, and release lackluster tablets until they finally gave up on the idea altogether. Amazon is huge and unstoppable enough as it is, the last thing we need is for them to gain a significant foothold in yet another market. But the new Kindle HDX actually looks really good, and that live video tech support thing could absolutely win over a lot of The Olds... it's seriously a brilliant idea. I know of several parents who bought iPads and then returned them because they couldn't figure them out (the idea of not being able to figure out an iPad seems totally inconceivable to the younger generation, but that's how it is!).

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 25, 2013

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Polo-Rican posted:

Amazon is huge and unstoppable enough as it is, the last thing we need is for them to gain a significant foothold in yet another market.
Amazon is an extremely customer-centric company that puts a lot of downward pressure on prices; as a consumer you do want them gaining a huge foothold in any market. The other option is Apple Computer who has convinced a massive number of housewives and douchebags that $100 is a good deal for 16GB of flash memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I hate the Kindle Fires for the sole reason that it means we will never get an Amazon video app for android.