Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
The Blacklist is an upcoming drama being offered by NBC.

No, wait, don't run away just yet, they may be onto something good here! This is after all the same channel that brought us Hannibal, a show most were ready to dismiss as a lovely cash grab playing on a loose association with a popular film and book series, but instead turned out to be phenomenal! NBC didn't do that great a job promoting everyone's favorite cannibal, but they seem to be learning their lesson, and have been pushing The Blacklist pretty hard. Hopes are riding high on the Sony-produced drama, and with NBC giving it their all (The Voice is its lead in) they've got to be feeling optimistic.

So, what's it all about

Well you can either watch the spoiler-laden video below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9_qgX7pTlc

...or you could read on.

One of the most wanted men in North America, Raymond "Red" Reddington, walks into FBI Headquarters one day and surrenders himself.

Turns out, during his time on the run, he's been extremely busy making new friends, plenty of whom are far more violent and nasty than he, and would like nothing better than to lead the FBI right to their doorstep. There's a catch, however: he only wants to work with the inexperienced Agent Keen.

Mr. and Mrs. Keen

There's a reason I namedropped Hannibal in the introduction. You can probably tell where this is going.

Meet The Cast

James Spader as Raymond "Red" Reddington

You read that right. James Spader plays an intensely sought after fugitive with a reputation for brokering deals for criminals. His detailed network of contacts form the titular Blacklist.

Megan Boone as Elizabeth Keen

A rookie FBI profiler, and the only person Raymond Reddington has any interest in dealing with.

Harry Lennix as Assistant Director Harold Cooper

The Boss, perpetually unamused.

Diego Klattenhoff as Donald Ressler

Probably best known for playing Mike Faber (Brody's war buddy) in Homeland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Reserved: just in case.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
I've had conflicting thoughts on this one. The first time I saw the ad, I thought it might be ok, but then they seemed to have pushed the advertising on this so much that I can barely look around without seeing something about "The Blacklist" and I've generally been disgusted anytime I hear the same spiel over and over again.
The plot does seem a bit, thin, but I've watched tv shows with worse, so I can't complain too much.
In the end, I think James Spader will probably be the only reason I tune in to watch it, but hopefully it turns out ok.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Something about the ads for this show just absolutely turn me off. Spader just seems so insufferably smug.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Eryxias posted:

I've had conflicting thoughts on this one. The first time I saw the ad, I thought it might be ok, but then they seemed to have pushed the advertising on this so much that I can barely look around without seeing something about "The Blacklist" and I've generally been disgusted anytime I hear the same spiel over and over again.
The plot does seem a bit, thin, but I've watched tv shows with worse, so I can't complain too much.
In the end, I think James Spader will probably be the only reason I tune in to watch it, but hopefully it turns out ok.

NBC's pushing the poo poo out of this one because the pilot apparently tested through the roof.

Which means very little, of course; Revolution's pilot was apparently the same way. But if NBC sees any chance to build a drama tentpole, particularly after the collapse of Revolution, they're going for it whole hog.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I saw this early on one of the Halifax TV stations, and it looks pretty solid.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I'm in for the pilot. Actually it was one of my favorite trailers.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Alright.

James Spader is fuckin' cool. I'll give the pilot a shot.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. :ohdear:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Something about the ads for this show just absolutely turn me off. Spader just seems so insufferably smug.

That's just how James Spader do, my friend.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Spader just seems so insufferably smug.
Is Spader, won't fix.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
When did we end up in CTU?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Thank you for the exposition, sir.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Neverending generic Michael Bay action flick music!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Was that just Nina from The Americans?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grrarg posted:

Was that just Nina from The Americans?
Yes: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3393732/

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And she wakes up in the morning with perfect lip gloss already. Clearly a highly trained agent.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

And she wakes up in the morning with perfect lip gloss already. Clearly a highly trained agent.
Gotta plump up thin lips somehow.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
Wait, I think this job might come between them and having a family. It's like foreshadowing.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
FBI takes tardiness rather seriously, don't they?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The direction is pretty awful.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Go ahead, tell us about your character.

Edit: Ok, that is definitely the most ridiculous containment set up for a non-superhuman not named Batman.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

To be fair, network TV audiences are pretty dumb, and they'd would probably very much prefer to have everything laid out for them in the beginning.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Did your father force you to perform fellatio?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Gyges posted:

Go ahead, tell us about your character.

Edit: Ok, that is definitely the most ridiculous containment set up for a non-superhuman not named Batman.

Well the FBI doesn't want to have a Joker situation.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I just did this mission in GTAV.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Zero One posted:

I just did this mission in GTAV.

Who ended up wearing the pig mask?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man the FBI sucks at noticing obvious traps.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

No, not the explosive fluid truck! We just got it tuned up!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gyges posted:

Man the FBI sucks at noticing obvious traps.
Guys in hazmat suits are no match for armored vehicles with trained special agents!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

This show... :sigh:

e: It's only 20 minutes in, it could get awesome? Right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm getting major The Event vibes from this.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
This show is worth it just for the sheer :smug: Spader can exude.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:stare: This just got real.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I really want her husband to die. Get rid of that poo poo ASAP.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Ahaha, there's something morbidly hilarious about that.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I honestly have no idea why both of them are still alive, particularly if the terrorist dude has nothing to lose.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
While clearly her husband was in serious need of medical help, I'm not sure he couldn't spare 3 seconds for her to shoot the one dude before calling 911.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Yea that was pretty stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
:stare:

This show is hosed up

• Locked thread