Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Whoa, Rayman Legends is really drat good. I was expecting it to be maybe just as good as Origins, but this one has lots of little improvements and so much content. Without mentioning of course all the Origin levels as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMC
May 18, 2009

I got $200 in birthday money last week and today after my third long work shift in a row, I swung by Target and took the plunge on a Wind Waker Wii-U and three games. Got home, hooked it up, started creating a Mii, and then suddenly got an error telling me the connection to the console had been lost, followed by blackness. After two more attempts I realized it was the console that was just shutting off completely. Google tells me I have the "blinking red light of death".

:negative:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

HMC posted:

I got $200 in birthday money last week and today after my third long work shift in a row, I swung by Target and took the plunge on a Wind Waker Wii-U and three games. Got home, hooked it up, started creating a Mii, and then suddenly got an error telling me the connection to the console had been lost, followed by blackness. After two more attempts I realized it was the console that was just shutting off completely. Google tells me I have the "blinking red light of death".

Well, at least you kept the receipt and can just return it to the store for a new one. Right?

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
stay pure hawkeye, stay pure

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
A word to the wise: Do yourselves a favor and don't play on hero mode. It's just not worth it. This game has way too much 'surprise!' enemies and it's really just a slog to get through if you can't heal.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

gannyGrabber posted:

A word to the wise: Do yourselves a favor and don't play on hero mode. It's just not worth it. This game has way too much 'surprise!' enemies and it's really just a slog to get through if you can't heal.

Have you played Wind Waker before or is that your first playthrough? I was planning on going with hero mode once I get the game because I've played it to death and loved hero mode in Skyward Sword.

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 23, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

You can swap your file in and out of Hero Mode at any time, I hear Dragon Roost is a bit bullshit with Hero Mode on, but the rest of the game is fine. So I'm just gonna turn it off for that part. :shobon:

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Hero mode does suck for the first 2 temples, you're railroaded into going to them and can't stock up on healing items beforehand.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wait you people actually get hit? :smug:

Seriously though just have your shield up at all times and you're in god mode. I'm actually thinking Hero Mode is too easy because I can't think of anything in the game that breaks your guard, other than pigs and explosions.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 23, 2013

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I picked up my WWHD console on Friday and after playing this thing for a few days, I gotta say that I'm going to be really upset if the WiiU tanks. It's just so much fun to play and everything feels really well designed on it.

I feel pretty confident in saying that the built in TV remote is probably the most genius thing they could have put in the controller. It's a little thing, but being able to turn the system and tv on/off with one device is really great.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Blorange posted:

Hero mode does suck for the first 2 temples, you're railroaded into going to them and can't stock up on healing items beforehand.

I'm confused. You have a bottle before the first dungeon, a free source of chu jelly, and two bottles before the second dungeon. At no time are you barred from returning to Windfall, you just have to go back in the line that King of Red Lions has invisibly drawn for you.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Couldn't resist the buy 2 get 1 free deal, ended up with Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, and Wonderful 101. I wasn't going to buy any of these games by themselves originally, but I needed some good couch co-op that me and my girlfriend can enjoy together, and these seem like the best Wii U titles at present. Good haul?

HMC
May 18, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, at least you kept the receipt and can just return it to the store for a new one. Right?

Yeah, yeah. It's just sort of dispiriting. I've had hardware failure issues with my first GameCube and with my first Wii, and it's kind of a bummer knowing game consoles will never have the same longevity as my SNES or even my Game Boy have had.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

HMC posted:

Yeah, yeah. It's just sort of dispiriting. I've had hardware failure issues with my first GameCube and with my first Wii, and it's kind of a bummer knowing game consoles will never have the same longevity as my SNES or even my Game Boy have had.

Oh man, that's just bad luck then. Or maybe I just have good luck. I have never had an issue with a Nintendo console or handheld. The Wii U has been the closest due to me trying to make a hard drive without an external work (which was my fault) and the fact it seems to crash 50% of the time I try Netflix. Otherwise everything has worked perfectly.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

HMC posted:

Yeah I'd have to say that it's just terrible luck on your end. I know that systems with disc drives and such are not going to last quite as long as cartridge based systems at any rate. But all of the Nintendo consoles I've ever bought, starting with the NES, still work and I've never needed to replace them. I skipped the original Gameboy, and my GBC and Gamecube were stolen, but I've got pretty much everything else.
Most people seem to have better luck than you with Nintendo consoles. Outliers aside, they are generally very reliable.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

The GameCube is an indestructible monster so yeah you just had uncommonly bad luck with that one.

HMC
May 18, 2009

I think the GameCube just had lens decalibration issues over time, despite being built rock solid. The Wii had that lovely issue where using WiiConnect24 as intended caused the GPU. I think my fat DS had a dead pixel as well. I guess I'm just crazy unlucky.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

it seems to crash 50% of the time I try Netflix.

That's interesting, does this happen to other people? I feel like I've heard weird stuff about Netflix but barring the occasional buffering issue it works genuinely perfectly on my Wii U and as a recent college grad stuck living at home I like being able to send whatever Korean romantic comedy or violent AMC television show I'm watching to the gamepad if someone walks in (hahaha)

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

That's interesting, does this happen to other people? I feel like I've heard weird stuff about Netflix but barring the occasional buffering issue it works genuinely perfectly on my Wii U and as a recent college grad stuck living at home I like being able to send whatever Korean romantic comedy or violent AMC television show I'm watching to the gamepad if someone walks in (hahaha)
Almost every time I tried to use Netflix on Wii U it locked up my system. Even after removing and re-installing it, the issue would crop up more often than not. Both the YouTube and Netflix apps are pieces of poo poo on this thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've had the same problem with Netflix and Hulu. The Netflix problem seems to have gone away ever since the last system update, while Hulu basically crashes whenever I try to exit half the time.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
How long does Target give you to return unopened games? Thinking about doing the Buy 2 Get 1 deal and just getting a placeholder game until Wind Waker is released in 2 weeks.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Cyra posted:

Almost every time I tried to use Netflix on Wii U it locked up my system. Even after removing and re-installing it, the issue would crop up more often than not. Both the YouTube and Netflix apps are pieces of poo poo on this thing.

My kid uses the WiiU a lot as a netflix machine and i've had it since launch and it's locked up twice maybe three times so that's odd but i've heard of it happening here and there so maybe not.. Definitely none have happened after that last update though. I will totally agree with you on the youtube app being garbage though. The browser on this thing is so good for a console browser that there is no reason not to just use youtube that way.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 23, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Commissar Ken posted:

My kid uses the WiiU a lot as a netflix machine and i've had it since launch and it's locked up twice maybe three times so that's odd but i've heard of it happening here and there so maybe not.. Definitely none have happened after that last update though. I will totally agree with you on the youtube app being garbage though. The browser on this thing is so good for a console browser that there is no reason not to just use youtube that way.

That browser is so loving good. No screwing with a video before it starts up. Click play, it goes full screen immediately and you can still use the Gamepad to browse.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That browser is so loving good. No screwing with a video before it starts up. Click play, it goes full screen immediately and you can still use the Gamepad to browse.

The Wii U browser is the best not-an-actual-computer web browser on any device, ever. It's amazing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cyra posted:

The YouTube app is identical to the PS3 YouTube app (and I assume the Xbox 360 one but I don't a gold account so I can't check). And yes, it sucks so hard on every conceivable level that it's amazing that it hasn't imploded. It functions more on a level of, "Eh... that functions... I guess," than an actually usable system. I could go on for a long time about all the fundamental things wrong with the interface, search function, and lack of access to fundamental features.

The Wii U's browser, OTOH, is the greatest YouTube interface that the world has ever seen mainly because you're using the decent web interface while playing videos on another screen. So of course when the Wii U came out YouTube tried to block the browser from using YouTube. :v:

I've had lots of Netflix crashes on start up, occasional hang ups on Hulu (which is its own pile of suck, but for different reasons), and Amazon has broken on me a few times.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 23, 2013

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

DoctorWhat posted:

The Wii U browser is the best not-an-actual-computer web browser on any device, ever. It's amazing.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there anyway to make it not look like blurry poo poo on my 1080p tv? Using a web browser through my server connected to the tv is pixel perfect.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DoctorWhat posted:

Honestly if there was a way to use that browser on my PC I would totally use it.

Complete with a Mii of me in the corner :3:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Now if only the WiiU browser would get some flash support so I could watch my tele shows.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

KracKiwi posted:

Am I doing something wrong, or is there anyway to make it not look like blurry poo poo on my 1080p tv? Using a web browser through my server connected to the tv is pixel perfect.

You HAVE set the Wii U's resolution to 1080P, right? :downs:

But in any case, the actual web-browsing shouldn't be done on your TV screen, the GamePad is there for a reason! Don't bother with the TV until you have a YouTube (or HTML5 or .avi or .mp4 or other supported format(s)) video or Twitch stream(!) to play, man!

gannyGrabber posted:

Now if only the WiiU browser would get some flash support so I could watch my tele shows.

Screw Flash, it's loving garbage and if the Wii U browser supported it it'd lag from all the loving Flash-based ads and poo poo. Tell your interweb tv providers to get with the times and upgrade to HTML5 like a grown-up. :colbert:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

gannyGrabber posted:

Can one watch HBOGo on Wii-U?

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

You HAVE set the Wii U's resolution to 1080P, right? :downs:

But in any case, the actual web-browsing shouldn't be done on your TV screen, the GamePad is there for a reason! Don't bother with the TV until you have a YouTube (or HTML5 or .avi or .mp4 or other supported format(s)) video or Twitch stream(!) to play, man!

Yeah, it's outputting 1080p, the rest of the interface is nice and crisp until I'm using the web browser.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Cyra posted:

This is retarded and unacceptable, but I found if you wait like 10 seconds after everything loaded (from startup) Netflix won't freeze. Otherwise it's a gamble.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

KracKiwi posted:

Yeah, it's outputting 1080p, the rest of the interface is nice and crisp until I'm using the web browser.

You have to click the gear in the YouTube video window to up the resolution, it defaults to a low setting.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Harry posted:

This is retarded and unacceptable, but I found if you wait like 10 seconds after everything loaded (from startup) Netflix won't freeze. Otherwise it's a gamble.

That would make sense. I usually start the Wii-U up and go straight to Netflix.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Havoc904 posted:

How long does Target give you to return unopened games? Thinking about doing the Buy 2 Get 1 deal and just getting a placeholder game until Wind Waker is released in 2 weeks.

Plenty of time (90 days IIRC), and you can actually be legitimate because the receipt gives you back 40 bucks, so it's basically Wind Waker for ten bucks more if you don't want to mess around with selling your third game on eBay or something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DoctorWhat posted:

The curtain feature is pretty great.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

greatn posted:

You have to click the gear in the YouTube video window to up the resolution, it defaults to a low setting.

It's really just web pages I'm talking about, not youtube video. I'm pretty sure it's rendering the tablet screen resolution on the tv.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I still have my N64, Gamecube and Wii. Pretty sure the Gamecube and Wii I've had since launch. We actually have two gamecubes since me and my brother had problems sharing.

DoctorWhat posted:

Really? I liked what valve did with their big picture mode, I'll have to take a crack at the Wii U browser.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

KracKiwi posted:

It's really just web pages I'm talking about, not youtube video. I'm pretty sure it's rendering the tablet screen resolution on the tv.

Ahh that makes sense. I hadn't noticed, but I hadn't paid much attention to it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I still have my N64, Gamecube and Wii. Pretty sure the Gamecube and Wii I've had since launch. We actually have two gamecubes since me and my brother had problems sharing.

Really? I liked what valve did with their big picture mode, I'll have to take a crack at the Wii U browser.

Valve Big Picture runs on a PC/Mac/Linux so it doesn't count, but the Wii U browser is STILL better for TV because of the GamePad and the dedicated video canvas.

• Locked thread