Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I have two covers for Thane and I've gotten duplicates on my last three now. I'm annoyed already and I haven't even gotten to six or seven yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Preach it, brother. I got 2 covers on 7 boxes my first day, then 2 duplicates in a row when I opened 10-packs. Has there any buzz as to whether the draws are rigged, say to keep you from getting too many covers in one day?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 23, 2013

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I have 30 boxes right now and I'm having a huge internal argument as to how I want to open them.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Preach it, brother. I got 2 covers on 7 boxes my first day, then 2 duplicates in a row when I opened 10-packs. Has there any buzz as to whether the draws are rigged, say to keep you from getting too many covers in one day?

Every release there's people that buy enough boxes to have them on the first day, so I doubt it.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Halloween Jack posted:

Can't see why it would be rigged when simple statistics will already make it tricky to assemble the whole set. Unless one has thousands and thousands of gold to spend on testing out theories, all the experiences we have with lockboxes really just amount to anecdotal evidence. That's why I never bother with opening boxes one by one: people sometimes claim the 7% statistic is wrong, but I can't see why Playdom would lie about it, and it's not like we have a reliable way to check for certain.

That said, they've at least gone on record saying there were "safeguards" in place to prevent one from having to open boxes indefinitely.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Devo posted:

I have two covers for Thane and I've gotten duplicates on my last three now. I'm annoyed already and I haven't even gotten to six or seven yet.

This was me with elektra. I had 2 covers and opened 30 lockboxes in 10s. Got 3 duplicates in a row. Did my 5 PVP wins a day, completed all the lockbox challenges and still ended up 2 covers short. I always seem to end up 2 covers short, except for Juggernaut where I ended up 1 short, won 10 gold on the roulette, bought boxes and got him, so I console myself with that.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I'm 3 for 3 on new Thane covers, AND I got 1,000 ISOs on something like the third day of this Spec Ops. So I'll probably get nothing but duplicates now that I've said this.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Just opened 20 more and got my third cover and another duplicate :lsd:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The best thing about playing iOS is I know who to get for future spec ops missions. I can stock up now so I'm not freaking out like this time.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm getting Healthy ISO chips in my gifts again. Can you actually do poo poo with them, or are people just clicking the shiny shiny buttons when it comes to gift-giving?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Liar Lyre posted:

The best thing about playing iOS is I know who to get for future spec ops missions. I can stock up now so I'm not freaking out like this time.

Hopefully they will follow the same order. Oh man Thunderstrike is awesome!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Well, it skipped Bobbi and Emma already. Kind of annoying being taunted with her in a team up when you can't get her or her costume. We will probably get ghost rider next.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Yeah, it'd make sense to have Ghost Rider for Halloween. That means I need Daredevil, Gambit, Hercules, and Quicksilver who is not yet released.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Opened 40 boxes got 4 covers. The system works.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I opened 24 boxes and got 5 different covers. :smug:

(I'm completely expecting to get nothing but duplicates over the next week.)

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'm getting Healthy ISO chips in my gifts again. Can you actually do poo poo with them, or are people just clicking the shiny shiny buttons when it comes to gift-giving?

If you agree to be someone's pilot the game automatically send you a gift from them, usually something like an iso chip that you don't want and they would never normally send.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Got Black Bolt. Also got the epic boss weapon on my previous SO2 runthrough- never gotten that before the character before, as far as I remember.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ares seems to DESTROY thanos. I just took scrapper thanos down from 28% to zero using Ares and Cyclops. Wait to use Combat Maneuvers until the turn after thanos uses black hole, get flanked on thanos and then the bleeding/ravaged from Ares just keeps on coming. Attacking my guys will lead to a counter from combat maneuvers, possibly with additional counters from another character(s) with Ares ability. My attacks on Thanos are flanking him so get a follow up with a decent chance to cause another character with Ares other ability. If cyc counters it renews flanked, if Ares counters it triggers the bleeds again. My agent is using thunderstrike so every time thanos attacks him there is another counter right there. Only thing I have to remember is to make sure that when he drops the blaster miniboss as back-up that my agent should generalise her ASAP to prevent her auto-critting Ares.

Against infiltrator Thanos ares/shatterstar seems to work well but lacks the combat awareness which lets the fight almost play itself.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Hm, gold sale. It took me quite a while to get the CP to buy Psylocke; I'll probably do this so I can get Wasp and Rulk and not have to pay gold for task-skipping. That would conveniently give me enough characters to unlock Season 1 Chapter 12, anyhow.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Hm, gold sale. It took me quite a while to get the CP to buy Psylocke; I'll probably do this so I can get Wasp and Rulk and not have to pay gold for task-skipping. That would conveniently give me enough characters to unlock Season 1 Chapter 12, anyhow.

It's always more efficient in the long run to buy characters rather than skip tasks, so that seems like a good plan if you don't mind spending money. Once you spend some time in Chapter 12 you can probably get enough CP not to need to use gold for CP again, anyway.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm pretty confused as to how best to game the system for maximum CP; should I be doing things on challenge mode and deliberately keeping my scores low so that I can do a mission the maximum number of times before I five-star it? Because I've been fivestarring missions like crazy to get the CP to buy Psylocke.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm pretty confused as to how best to game the system for maximum CP; should I be doing things on challenge mode and deliberately keeping my scores low so that I can do a mission the maximum number of times before I five-star it? Because I've been fivestarring missions like crazy to get the CP to buy Psylocke.

My recommendation is keep 4.4 and 12.2 one-starred (you can just collect your rewards and abort the mission afterwards) and go crazy getting high scores in the other missions.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Some people prefer to avoid 5-starring missions you intend to grind so that you can kill everything in one hit and blaze through it. I prefer to maximize XP gain so that I can level up characters at the same time I'm getting CP, so I tend to 5 star missions. Which you want to do is a matter of preference, but with challenge mode you can do it both ways; when you hit 12-2, go in on challenge mode if you want XP and avoid challenge mode if you want something you can do quickly instead. Once you have 4 stars, make sure you abort the mission instead of exiting out so that you don't get anything added to your score and you can stay at 4 stars indefinitely if you want.

Either way, there's no reason not to 5 star a mission you don't intend to grind for CP.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Looks like the Iron Man 3 armors (MK 42 and Iron Patriot) are available this week, for obvious reasons.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Liar Lyre posted:

Looks like the Iron Man 3 armors (MK 42 and Iron Patriot) are available this week, for obvious reasons.

But not Rescue :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My favorite task, the 3 day research one. I am seeing the mace has one more improvement than research tasks, is the last one a boss drop?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

twistedmentat posted:

My favorite task, the 3 day research one. I am seeing the mace has one more improvement than research tasks, is the last one a boss drop?

If you've fought your allys' Thanoses (Thanosis? Thanosessessses?), there's an extra reward level for taking him down by 5%. It's the "Guardian Shard" supply item. Once you collect 50 of those fuckers, you can build the mace.

Conveniently, they sell them in the store for 1 gold apiece!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JohnnyCanuck posted:

If you've fought your allys' Thanoses (Thanosis? Thanosessessses?), there's an extra reward level for taking him down by 5%. It's the "Guardian Shard" supply item. Once you collect 50 of those fuckers, you can build the mace.

AH I was wondering. I figured those things were just another consumable/high value pvp item like those shield thingies.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Try 4 gold. So expensive for 50. Luckily people should be able to get 50 without much problem. I already have 22.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If you bought a Godaddy account for gold, they do renew and its expensive to keep them around.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

What is the deal with Tactical Thanos' beam blast? He just totally oneshots my guys and there's no way I can see to counter it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yvonmukluk posted:

What is the deal with Tactical Thanos' beam blast? He just totally oneshots my guys and there's no way I can see to counter it.
He seems to be the same as Blackheart; whatever move he does after summoning will 1 shot whoever it hits.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I think it might be random. Most of the times I've fought Tactical Thanos he was predictable. His first turn would be to use Black Hole. Then next turn he'd do something else, which give me a chance to beat him down.

But last night I ran against him, all my team (Agent, Elektra and X-23) attacked him. Then he blasted my agent for 25K damage. My two remaining heroes attack him, his second turn he blasts X-23 for about 23K damage and kills her.
His third turn he summoned Corvas Glaive then did a normal attack which Elektra survived. However Corvais failry mauled her and she died to Thanos's fourth turn Black Hole/ the bleeds.

Near as I can see, you can just sometimes get unlucky.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

I generally bring Wolverine along, he survives the blast about half the time.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Infiltrator White Crown Phoenix would probably help if you're having trouble. Guaranteed survival of at least two rounds.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Good lord, the "win 3 PvP battles" task is harder now than if it was during the last PvP season. Change your defense team to duds, people!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jetfire posted:

Good lord, the "win 3 PvP battles" task is harder now than if it was during the last PvP season. Change your defense team to duds, people!

I suuuuuuuuuck at PvP but I somehow managed to get through the task earlier today. I guess I lucked out and got just the right opposing teams.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Jetfire posted:

You can know the exact lineup of your opponent. How can you not win unless your bonuses are vastly lower?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

commish posted:

You can know the exact lineup of your opponent. How can you not win unless your bonuses are vastly lower?

Are you confusing PvP with Incursions? Because PvP isn't Incursions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Are you confusing PvP with Incursions? Because PvP isn't Incursions.

In order to win 3 pvp fights currently, you have to do practice matches. You can do a practice match against the same person/time 30 times in a row if you want. Just pick a team that counters their team.

• Locked thread