Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BitBasher posted:

Have they officially said anything about adding new landmasses in GTA:O?

I would kill for a San Fierro or more importantly Las Venturas of this caliber.
I don't think they have, and even if they did, I don't think it would be reasonable to expect entire cities on the scale of Los Santos being added to the game later, as cool as that would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Sieg posted:

They are a lot less psychic in 5, that's for sure. I don't recall the cops in 5 ever exhibiting anything that I thought was unbelievable behavior.

The most unbelievable thing I've seen is how many cop cars respond when you commit a crime out in the sticks, usually rural areas don't have a large police force and even if they did they wouldn't already be halfway down some remote dirt road in a pack of 3 just waiting for you to turn the corner and go into their sight radius.

Sondlar
Sep 9, 2004

VarXX posted:

The story continues in GTA:Online, that's why. They want to push GTA:Online as it's own seperate entry in the series and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a stand alone release at some point.

Yeah, and it makes plenty of sense with the given DLC and probable microtransactions (all you have to do to figure that one out is head into AmmuNation and check the right wall). As long as GTA:O isn't a pay to win fest it should be amazing. I'd happily shell out money for a Vice City/Las Venturas/Whatever state Nevada is in GTA expansion whenever they feel like it.

SheepNameKiller posted:

The most unbelievable thing I've seen is how many cop cars respond when you commit a crime out in the sticks, usually rural areas don't have a large police force and even if they did they wouldn't already be halfway down some remote dirt road in a pack of 3 just waiting for you to turn the corner and go into their sight radius.

Of all the gripes people have had about cops this is really the only one I can say that bothers me. Who is calling the cops out in the middle of nowhere? I guess Bigfoot has a Whizz wireless phone in GTA land.

Sondlar fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 24, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

awesome-express posted:

Frank's a baller.

There's not much hotter poo poo in this game than a classic sport/muscle car at sundown. Those reflections unghhhh.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't think they have, and even if they did, I don't think it would be reasonable to expect entire cities on the scale of Los Santos being added to the game later, as cool as that would be.

The Leslie Benzies interview and at least one of the others mentioned that they would like to eventually model the whole planet in GTA: Online, and mentioned adding previous game cities as something they may do. I'm sure a stepping stone to that point is going to be more landmass. Whether or not it occurs in this version of GTAO is a different story.

My best guess is that they're going to add Liberty City at some point with GTAO bells and whistles added. That's just my dream but it seems possible.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Found a little bug today. If you commit a crime right as one of those random cop vs. npc car chases the cop won't come after you but you will be stuck with your wanted level until you die. It just gets stuck where the game says you are in a cop's line-of-sight .

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of motorcycles, I think it's kind of weird that everything in the game has so much attention to detail but the motorcycle riding still looks awkward as hell and totally unnatural.

Sondlar
Sep 9, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My best guess is that they're going to add Liberty City at some point with GTAO bells and whistles added. That's just my dream but it seems possible.

Of gently caress I sure hope not, Liberty City has been really, really overdone at this point and I don't want to go back there.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

What a shame, I would like some DLC even if it is small and really just allows you to explore a bit deeper into a few parts of the game- like episodic missions but not near as long as TLatD or TBoGT but like a five mission plot arch for a few bucks that goes deeper into some characters or events.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

VarXX posted:

The story continues in GTA:Online, that's why. They want to push GTA:Online as it's own seperate entry in the series and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a stand alone release at some point.

That's fine and all, but I have to wonder if they'll still allow you to play some DLC content solo. I'm no introvert or anything, but sometimes I just feel like playing these kinds of games by myself and it'd be nice if they didn't treat multiplayer as the be all end all of the game.

EDIT: \/\/ That works :v:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 24, 2013

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

That's fine and all, but I have to wonder if they'll still allow you to play some DLC content solo. I'm no introvert or anything, but sometimes I just feel like playing these kinds of games by myself and it'd be nice if they didn't treat multiplayer as the be all end all of the game.

You can set your game to private and play alone.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Handsome Ralph posted:

My hope is that the dlc does add to the current map but in ways like adding activities and new areas to explore (mostly interiors.)

How awesome would it be to get into the Vinewood Mall, for instance.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

Actually GTA Online takes place before the SP as there are characters in it that die during the plot.

Maybe they just got Wasted and woke up at the nearest hospital $5000 lighter...

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Actually, Leslie Benzies said that GTA: Online wouldn't stop growing until it's encompassed an entire planet. He was obviously being a bit hyperbolic, but he talked about using older content. I think we'll probably see some added content like Liberty City, and then have the maps from future game folded into Online.

An interesting thing about scale, the current map is supposed to be roughly half of San Andreas. It might be interesting if over the next five or six years they basically constructed a complete San Andreas or even West Coast. You could have a San Fierro game which could stretch even further north for Seattle/Washington and Portland/Oregon parodies. Then you could release a game that fleshes out the south with Las Venturas and maybe a San Diego/Tijuana parody.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Sondlar posted:

Of gently caress I sure hope not, Liberty City has been really, really overdone at this point and I don't want to go back there.

Seriously, do anything but LC at this point because that would be boring as poo poo, how would it look any different than it did in IV? I'd rather see Vegas again.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I want North Yanktown. One thing I noticed during those missions was they had a special "gently caress this" trudging animation for deep snow. That's an insane touch to add for something that gets a total of like 30 minutes in the game.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

How awesome would it be to get into the Vinewood Mall, for instance.

I bet they won't add an accessible mall for the same reason they wouldn't add, say, an accessible school

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I'd rather we go to London again.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

stuart scott irl posted:

I bet they won't add an accessible mall for the same reason they wouldn't add, say, an accessible school

School definitely, I doubt GTA is above allowing you to spree kill your way through a mall. This is the game that lets you waterboard an innocent person whose junk you smashed to bits with a wrench minutes earlier. I realize it came out years ago but VC had an accessible mall that you could murder people in.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

VarXX posted:

How can it continue when GTA:O is supposed to happen before GTAV?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Rapdawg posted:

What a shame, I would like some DLC even if it is small and really just allows you to explore a bit deeper into a few parts of the game- like episodic missions but not near as long as TLatD or TBoGT but like a five mission plot arch for a few bucks that goes deeper into some characters or events.

Although R* raised the bar for DLC and as good as TLaD and TBoGT were, I think they sold very poorly (comparatively speaking) so I doubt they'll be doing anything of that scale again. It looks to me that GTA Online is were any expansion will come.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SheepNameKiller posted:

Seriously, do anything but LC at this point because that would be boring as poo poo, how would it look any different than it did in IV? I'd rather see Vegas again.
The point is that you wouldn't have to do much to it besides pretty it up. They're probably not going to do complete cities for GTA: Online add-ons because that takes an incredible amount of development time. I guess they could theoretically add Las Venturas though since Vegas isn't really much of a city outside of the Strip.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

http://gtaforums.com/topic/601546-gta-will-get-monetization-buy-in-game-moneay-with-real-money/

Microtransactions in GTA online. I warned you all that the parachutes were just the start of the ingame nickel and diming. I warned you all!

As long as the multilayer is as robust as they say it is, I'm cool with it. They basically said that it's going to have so much poo poo going on that they could've sold it as it's own separate thing, but they want to make it badass so people will love to play it in the long-term and they can monetize on it. Much like planetside, only gangster poo poo. So before everybody starts making GBS threads all over it, just remember how much money the goons have poured into planetside.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
May as well just add Liberty City and get started on a Vice city down the line. Tie them all together with highways or plane rides for some future GTA MMO. I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long just to get the online to this point, because I feel like us PC gamers have been clamoring for a gta mmo for a decade now, and other companies' half-assed or even full-assed-but-then-crash-and-burn-on-release (i'm looking at you APB) have not hit the mark.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Timeless Appeal posted:

The point is that you wouldn't have to do much to it besides pretty it up. They're probably not going to do complete cities for GTA: Online add-ons because that takes an incredible amount of development time. I guess they could theoretically add Las Venturas though since Vegas isn't really much of a city outside of the Strip.

Spoken truly like someone that doesn't live in Las Vegas. We have over a million people here including the suburbs.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Why is it all that doubtful? They've outright said they want GTA:Online to be like an MMO and have even hinted at the fact that they want to add new areas. They'll do it if they think it will sell, it's that simple. And it will definitely sell.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Zilkin posted:

How can it continue when GTA:O is supposed to happen before GTAV?

Sorry continuing wasn't the right word I guess. There's going to be a story involving characters you met previously.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sixteen players per game doesn't seem like enough, really.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Supposedly its been upped to 32, but keep in mind all the news we are getting is leaks.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009
Maybe GTA:O happens concurrently with the singleplayer story. Would account for the dead guys. And might be a cool way to tie it into the singleplayer story.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Oxxidation posted:

But if it's instanced and also includes all the other NPC's, that's actually pretty good.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Baron FU posted:

Maybe GTA:O happens concurrently with the singleplayer story. Would account for the dead guys. And might be a cool way to tie it into the singleplayer story.

Personally there was one thing I was a bit bummed didn't pan out, and that was having your multiplayer character be available as a hired hand for singleplayer heists. Creating your own character for the online and being able to level them up by bringing them in jobs would've been a neat bit of cross-play.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

NESguerilla posted:

Speaking of motorcycles, I think it's kind of weird that everything in the game has so much attention to detail but the motorcycle riding still looks awkward as hell and totally unnatural.
They made most motorcycles really good again instead of deathtrap liabilities in 5.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

TheRationalRedditor posted:

They made most motorcycles really good again instead of deathtrap liabilities in 5.

Well they're still pretty much deathtraps, they just don't feel like poo poo to ride anymore.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SheepNameKiller posted:

Why is it all that doubtful? They've outright said they want GTA:Online to be like an MMO and have even hinted at the fact that they want to add new areas. They'll do it if they think it will sell, it's that simple. And it will definitely sell.
It's not that I'm doubting they'll add new areas, and I think Las Venturas is a possibility as it's based on a pretty simple city. The only HD cities we have at the moment though are Liberty City and Los Santos. I doubt they're going to make an HD remake of the old Vice City or San Fierro maps, and I doubt they're going to put enough money in to build those whole cities from scratch without attaching them to a single player retail game.

I think right now, I could see them adding more town and suburbs or North Yankton or Las Venturas strictly through Online, but I can't see them selling major cities that they built from scratch. Who knows though. Still, like I said before, Benzies has some crazy ideas.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SheepNameKiller posted:

Supposedly its been upped to 32, but keep in mind all the news we are getting is leaks.

Hopefully the 32 (Or even more) is right, with a map this big 16 just doesn't seem like it'd be enough. Plus I'm used to the loads of people you can have on a map with SAMP, so I'll take as many people as they can pack in.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Sondlar posted:

This brings up a good question. Where do we go from here, environmentally speaking? People are sick of or complained about Liberty City's tight and gray urban landscape and SA and GTA5 cover the open world and city level environment. Hell, GTA5 covers everything from urban city, to mountains, to desert, and beach/ocean environments. Outside of changing the time in which the game takes place, like RDR, where does GTA go from here? Just bigger environments? Multiple cities in the same state like SA? I mean, Vice City was a nice change from GTA3 but now GTA5 covers the ocean vacation town feel to a decent degree. I'm not saying I wouldn't want a current or next-gen version of Vice City, I just have no idea how they'll keep enhancing environments. Adding interiors to more buildings? I don't know how you can top the current environment that is in GTA5 without just adding more content or tweaking it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

SheepNameKiller posted:

Well they're still pretty much deathtraps, they just don't feel like poo poo to ride anymore.
That's the whole idea. Their safety is nil compared to cars and trucks but their ridiculously tight handling, maneuverability and raw acceleration is what you get in return.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yardbomb posted:

Hopefully the 32 (Or even more) is right, with a map this big 16 just doesn't seem like it'd be enough. Plus I'm used to the loads of people you can have on a map with SAMP, so I'll take as many people as they can pack in.

There was a Rockstar twitter post that said it's just 16, and they don't know where this 32 rumor came from. How much stock you put in a guy running the rockstar twitter, I dunno...

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Lotish posted:

There was a Rockstar twitter post that said it's just 16, and they don't know where this 32 rumor came from. How much stock you put in a guy running the rockstar twitter, I dunno...

The rumor comes from the config files on the 360 version saying the max player count was 32. I still wouldn't bet on it being over 16 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sondlar
Sep 9, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's not that I'm doubting they'll add new areas, and I think Las Venturas is a possibility as it's based on a pretty simple city. The only HD cities we have at the moment though are Liberty City and Los Santos. I doubt they're going to make an HD remake of the old Vice City or San Fierro maps, and I doubt they're going to put enough money in to build those whole cities from scratch without attaching them to a single player retail game.

I think right now, I could see them adding more town and suburbs or North Yankton or Las Venturas strictly through Online, but I can't see them selling major cities that they built from scratch. Who knows though. Still, like I said before, Benzies has some crazy ideas.

I'd love a simplified version of Vegas because honestly as nice as Los Santos is in 5, I can't help but love the desert even more. Give us the Strip and a bit of surrounding area and make the rest desert full of crazy poo poo.

• Locked thread