Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I don't know how he did it. But everytime I think about Kojima I add world order to it in my mind. I can't help it, it's catchy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Sonny Cheebah posted:

In several interviews, Kojima has said that GZ and TPP together make MGS V. This much has been known for a few months now.

This is incredibly vague though. I want to know if they're on one disc or if I'm going to have to buy two things.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Szmitten posted:

This is incredibly vague though. I want to know if they're on one disc or if I'm going to have to buy two things.

Yeah that's what I meant. A previous page was talking like it was confirmed to be a single unit.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the guy with the burned off face has nice diction for a video game man with no lips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elMikUGFfqw

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Szmitten posted:

There isn't anything that explicitly says either one way or the other, but I'd find little basis behind the latter assumption. He's all-but said that this is all one thing. In fact, I believe the packaging of the two arcs to appear as separate works is the most deceptive aspect of the marketing of MGS V, barring the voice actor switch.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the guy with the burned off face has nice diction for a video game man with no lips

Woo boy that's some iffy VA for skullman.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Skull guy sounds super familiar but maybe that's just because the same half dozen voice actors are in every video game.

The music cutting out on a visual cue gave me an early Scorsese vibe which is cool. Press triangle to beg Christ's forgiveness for being horny.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Woo boy that's some iffy VA for skullman.
Is that Phil Lamar?

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Skull Face's voice sounds like some Konami America employee placeholder that they forgot to replace.

Kiefer sounds bored as heck. "Kept You Waiting Huh"

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

CrushedB posted:

Skull Face's voice sounds like some Konami America employee placeholder that they forgot to replace.

Yeah, admittedly it's a small sample, but Kiefer sounds completely divergent from the professional VA cast, which is distracting. He's much flatter compared to Kaz or even Skullface.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think Kiefer sounded great, but english isn't my native language.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

CrushedB posted:

For fun, I compared the new video to a fandub made earlier this year with the initial PAX footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt3kO9oExwo

The fandub actually has the traditional Metal Gear campy feel.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Well, so far every new voice has been a disappointment.

Ocelot, Skullface and Snake all sound so bored.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I believe that was Robert Atkin-Downes as Master Miller, actually.

EDIT: Unless of course, you're talking about the other trailers featuring Ocelot.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 25, 2013

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Sonny Cheebah posted:

EDIT: Unless of course, you're talking about the other trailers featuring Ocelot.

Yes. Based on his lines from the E3 trailer, the binoculars speech.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I first played the MGS1 demo with Japanese voices dozens of times before playing the full English version. I remember everyone sounding so goofy and strange the first time I heard their English voices.

Maybe the Skullface voice will grow on me. He doesn't sound as menacing as he looks, but there's enough raspy booming voices in the series already.

trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.

Penakoto posted:

Well, so far every new voice has been a disappointment.

Ocelot, Skullface and Snake all sound so bored.

I actually enjoyed Ocelot's voice but that's probably because it sounded like GOB Bluth.

Sutherland was kind of disappointing for this trailer, especially since in the other trailer he sounded pretty great. And I also agree that Skullface's voice doesn't really fit his image. Speaking of which, I think he's James Horan if the credits seem to give anything away. But like everyone else, I'm sure I'll get used to all of them eventually.

It also listed Christopher Randolph so I guess we'll be able to chat with Huey again in GZ. Didn't list any of the other PW character voices, though. For that matter, didn't list any of the ones confirmed for Phantom Pain, so I'm guessing those credits will be separate.

Edit: Also, did Skullface say "he told us everything" and "he didn't suffer long?" I thought subtitles before said "she" and it was referring to Paz but those might have been unofficial. Unless it's just a matter of hearing the voice actor wrong.

trash lord fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 25, 2013

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

nosebro posted:

It also listed Christopher Randolph so I guess we'll be able to chat with Huey again in GZ. Didn't list any of the other PW character voices, though.

It listed Tara Strong and Antony Del Rio (Paz and Chico)

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

nosebro posted:

Edit: Also, did Skullface say "he told us everything" and "he didn't suffer long?" I thought subtitles before said "she" and it was referring to Paz but those might have been unofficial. Unless it's just a matter of hearing the voice actor wrong.
Yeah, sounds like "he" now. Weird, because I figured he would have been referring to Amanda, considering she's nowhere to be seen in any of the other trailers. But then, Chico would likely be more upset.

Maybe Skullface has trouble with 's' sounds... sometimes?

trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.

Seemlar posted:

It listed Tara Strong and Antony Del Rio (Paz and Chico)

I meant the ones other than who we know turn up, whoops.

I thought Strangelove's might be mentioned at least because her Japanese voice actor seems to be involved with some of the things Kojima's been doing lately.

trash lord fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 25, 2013

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Maybe she'll be there for GZ but then leave whenever Big Boss starts using child soldiers.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sunning posted:

For fun, I compared the new video to a fandub made earlier this year with the initial PAX footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt3kO9oExwo

The fandub actually has the traditional Metal Gear campy feel.
Better yet someone dubbed over some Phantom Pain scenes with Hayter and Eiding...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMYfJUZILQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9qKt7mqNnw

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's good to see that Kojipro is making sure the English version retains the same quality of the original Metal Gear Solid dub, for a moment I was worried we might have had good VA this time around.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I'm quite OK with Kiefer but still bummed that they didn't go for Richard Doyle if they wanted a new voice for Big Boss. He could pull of the facial capture easily, dude was even in Air Force One.

The voice direction being weird again is kinda odd, it's probably still Kris Zimmerman, and while the MGS games have always had some problems there she also did Revengeance and they knocked it out of the loving park.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The biggest problem I had with the English voice acting was the lines not syncing up with character's lips. 2 was a little bit noticeable but it almost ruined 3. I think they went back and actually reprogrammed the mouths for 4.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Richard Doyle would've been so perfect, I know a lot of people hated the cutscene he was in, but I feel like his performance as Big Boss was excellent. I'd take him over David Hayter even.

Unrelated: I really wanna know why he's still being called Snake, him wanting to be refereed to as Big Boss was a big deal in Peace Walker, a turning point significant enough to be one of the series' infamous post credits conversations, along with calling the MSF Base "Outer Heaven" (which I don't think they ever do in any of the MGS5 trailers either).

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Skullface sounds like Volgin.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

The voice direction being weird again is kinda odd, it's probably still Kris Zimmerman, and while the MGS games have always had some problems there she also did Revengeance and they knocked it out of the loving park.
It also helped that a different team did the localization for Revengeance, and more notably they knocked it out of the loving park. For better or worse, Kojima's own games don't get much leeway when it comes to localizations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Veg posted:

Huh, I never actually thought of Volgin when considering who Skullface could be. He even died from being burned alive. If Skullface is a character from the past, Volgin is probably the most likely candidate.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Veg posted:

RatHat posted:

Huh, I never actually thought of Volgin when considering who Skullface could be. He even died from being burned alive. If Skullface is a character from the past, Volgin is probably the most likely candidate.

I had the same thought but that may also just be my bias because I figured from the start Volgin would be the bad guy as soon as I saw what the guy looked like (along with the hallucinations from the hospital). He doesn't have anywhere near the energy that MGS3 Volgin had in his voice though. But assuming it is Volgin for a moment, this is probably because Kojima wants to go full performance capture and was only able to get an actor to sound kind of like him.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

If Skullface is Volgin, then that lightning that hit him was also a shrink ray.

Seriously, Skullface is like half the size of Volgin, doesn't act like him at all, and only vaguely sounds similar, let's not jump to conclusions.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Penakoto posted:

let's not jump to conclusions.
This should be the title of every Metal Gear thread ever.

It's nice to see Christopher Randolph back and Kiefer sounded fine, if a little subdued. All we've really seen/heard from him have been in scenes where Snake is either completely worn out or just his gruff ol' self, I'd like to see more scenes where he actually gets to stretch out a bit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Still not sure about Kiefer Sutherland. I mean, he sounds fine and everything (a bit flat), but I get the feeling he's not in on the joke the way Hayter is and was. "Kept you waiting, huh?" sounds weird coming from a normal human voice. And considering the crazy amount of dialogue in an MGS game, I'm still a bit skeptical about him having done all of it, and not just a big chunk before HAYTER'S GLORIOUS REVEAL.

I'm still ok with it if it's because Big Boss is going to be a complete psychopath by the end of the game (which he probably should be) leading up to a Snake/Big Boss confrontation in the next one, but ehh. I can't imagine listening to 45 minute codec conversions like this.

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

He got lips, my man.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Skull Face sounds like one of those American military guy stereotypes, but I can't shake the feeling that the voice actor needs to put more twang into some of those lines. Definitely not what I expected, though: I was figuring he would sound raspy or, for some reason, have a British accent.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

It also helped that a different team did the localization for Revengeance, and more notably they knocked it out of the loving park. For better or worse, Kojima's own games don't get much leeway when it comes to localizations.

True. Doesn't Kojima also go to the VO sessions? With his direction overriding the more …sensible one.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

True. Doesn't Kojima also go to the VO sessions? With his direction overriding the more …sensible one.
Not sure if that was the case on previous games but I know he directed the English VO cast for this one. We'll have to see how that turns out, could be better or worse or more of the same.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Skullface sounds like he's the only one having fun with his role as new silly MGS villain.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I thought that Kaz and Skullface sounded fine, but oh man was Snake's "Kept you waiting, huh?" weird. The dialogue in the other trailers sounded fine, though, so I'm not too worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Giggily posted:

I thought that Kaz and Skullface sounded fine, but oh man was Snake's "Kept you waiting, huh?" weird. The dialogue in the other trailers sounded fine, though, so I'm not too worried.

It's probably just we're all used to hearing David Hayters increasingly ridiculous growl. After an hour of gameplay I'm sure he'll be fine.

I hope this game has all the traditional Metal Gear insanity, I love the idea of Keifer reading the script and being all :wtc: at monologues about Santa being real and how amazing cardboard boxes are.

• Locked thread