Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

nvining posted:

Today's blogpost: histories!

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/09/18/what-have-you-done-or-terrible-histories/

I feel like there is icon fodder here. BEDS! FOOD!

Out of curiosity, what's your rate of progress? I know creating games is a long and complicated process, but I suspect that's why you're focusing on gameplay over fancy graphics. What's the development timeline for a game like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

We looked for some kind of struggle.  Are there any dead monsters?  Where is the military?  Did everyone die of starvation?  Slowly the truth dawns.

No it doesn't! :argh: Don't just leave us there waiting, what happened to them? Tantrum spiral? Mass starvation? What?

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Volmarias posted:

No it doesn't! :argh: Don't just leave us there waiting, what happened to them? Tantrum spiral? Mass starvation? What?

It could be any one of the three: tantrum spirals are now in the game, as are fishmen, as is death by mass starvation.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

nvining posted:

It could be any one of the three: tantrum spirals are now in the game, as are fishmen, as is death by mass starvation.

........And Piss Shivers.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Volmarias posted:

They were a militia who found out they were monsters and forced themselves into starvation. :v:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

I just came back to this thread after somehow forgetting to check in most of the summer and am amazed by the progress I am seeing. Fishmen, adorable foxes, non-euclidean poultry and other such abominations keep me salivating for this game.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm disappointed you didn't come back to find most of the people had vanished except for one guy looking suspiciously fat and happy.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hoo boy! I bought Dominions 4 the other day and I've been hitting it hard, coming up with fun and weird strategies for success. It suddenly struck me that everything in Dominions 4 is perfect for some kind of conversion mod if CE will support it. I want a kingdom of Illithid mindslaves, an Empire of the undead and a lizard tribe of blood mages :v:

There's just so much weird poo poo in that game and it's wonderful.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think the market is ripe for a fantasy-themed city/empire management game. We've played a hundred games that allow you to kill a dragon and take its treasure, but very few that show the impact on the economy when you spend it. I wanna see stuff like the privatization of healing magic, the pros and cons of a zombie work force, what happens when the Questgivers Guild goes on strike, etc.

I don't expect CE to be anything like that, but it seems the genre is a perfect fit for that level of Discworld style "yeah but where does everyone get their food" attention to detail.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Well the Majesty series is kind of like that I suppose.

dbaumgart
May 31, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Hoo boy! I bought Dominions 4 the other day and I've been hitting it hard, coming up with fun and weird strategies for success. It suddenly struck me that everything in Dominions 4 is perfect for some kind of conversion mod if CE will support it. I want a kingdom of Illithid mindslaves, an Empire of the undead and a lizard tribe of blood mages :v:

There's just so much weird poo poo in that game and it's wonderful.

Gotta say, I'm a huge fan of Dominions and drag people in the office into horrible Dom3 games (with, by the way, the devs from Starsector so it turns into some kind of indie game developer grudge match). Really looking forward to playing some multiplayer Dom4 with the crew.

See, what's really cool about the Dominions game is that it's all based on mythology to some degree rather than the usual re-recycled post-Tolkein D&D tropes. I mean, there are the things Tolkein based dwarves and elves on in Dominions, but they're more true to their primary mythological sources ... and ... I should end this rambling rant and bring this back to CE: Rest assured, I love the spirit Illwinter puts into its setting (and especially the horrors). We'll try to do stuff a bit like that and er it's undoubtedly an influence due to the sheer amount of damned Dominions 3 I've been playing anyway. (Currently doing an Abysia game- blood magic everywhere!! Need more blood slave volunteers!!) Ahem.

Going to get back to writing tomorrow's blogpost now.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Well the Majesty series is kind of like that I suppose.

Eh, Majesty is more like you're in charge of building a town for RPG heroes to quest forth from. It's less Discworld and more Azeroth in terms of semi-realistic economies and what not. It's still pretty awesome and everyone should play it.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

quiggy posted:

Eh, Majesty is more like you're in charge of building a town for RPG heroes to quest forth from. It's less Discworld and more Azeroth in terms of semi-realistic economies and what not. It's still pretty awesome and everyone should play it.

Sewers and graveyards popping up as you built your city to poo poo all over things uncontrollably in Majesty did a great job of modeling externalities for an otherwise simplistic economic game engine. The game's not entirely without value as an inspiration to CE I think.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I know my "Steampunk Carolinas" post was extremely self indulgent, but the idea that a marshy river land was a site of not insignificant mining and industry still perplexes me. Here's hoping you take a look at some more unorthodox mining sites.

Plus, I saw the discussion about artic biomes on the forums and I have to agree with the posts there. What's more important in snowy environments is resource scarcity and weathering the elements, not dynamic snow piling and shoveling. Maybe have agriculture unfeasible most of the year, colonists less likely to come, but preserved food last longer and the Empire is more willing to give you better deals in trade as well as monthly rations to support your expedition to find the *ahem* Structure. Just keep up the Appearance of A Perfectly Unsuspicious Colony.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Triskelli posted:

I know my "Steampunk Carolinas" post was extremely self indulgent, but the idea that a marshy river land was a site of not insignificant mining and industry still perplexes me. Here's hoping you take a look at some more unorthodox mining sites.

Plus, I saw the discussion about artic biomes on the forums and I have to agree with the posts there. What's more important in snowy environments is resource scarcity and weathering the elements, not dynamic snow piling and shoveling. Maybe have agriculture unfeasible most of the year, colonists less likely to come, but preserved food last longer and the Empire is more willing to give you better deals in trade as well as monthly rations to support your expedition to find the *ahem* Structure. Just keep up the Appearance of A Perfectly Unsuspicious Colony.

And hunting. I really dig the idea of an arctic wasteland as a challenge map, where you really have to scrounge and lose lots of citizens by attrition as you desperately try and get some kind of economy going so you can purchase food by sea. Pelts and skins would be the obvious starting point, with wolves providing the risk, and perhaps transitioning to gold mines or fishery docks later on.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
I dont think snow eviroments should necessarily be much harder they should just be different. Much less agriculture obviously but no risk of tropical fevers and access to easier hunting. Potted walrus should definetly be a staple of any northen colony.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Potted Pickled walrus should definetly be a staple of any northern colony.

Here, I fixed that for you.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The important thing here is whether brine is produced the boring regular way, or harvested from Nature. I really want it to be the latter, so that "Brine Geyser" can finally enter the gaming lexicon.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Spawn more Overpickles.

edit: Overcukes? Overgourds!

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Dareon posted:

Spawn more Overpickles.

edit: Overcukes? Overgourds!

Does this mean we can get vile, Cthulian Squash, slowly taking over your population ala Pod People?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Wednesday morning blogpost: Particles! (Again.)

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/09/25/how-many-particles-can-dance-on-the-tooth-of-a-sawblade/

Also, a nice workshop full of Stuff.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

A fine looking furnace with admirable soot and ash, but you might want to send round the colony Chimney Sweep to make sure the smokestack isn't clogged!

In all seriousness, the animation is wonderful but should probably be different for the front of a furnace, most likely a handful of burning cinders or globules and a bit of heat distortion. With such thick smoke it'll be difficult to tell at a glance if it's the Authorized Stoker adding another shovelful of coal or some Urchin looking for mischief.

Personal grumps aside, the game looks better every time we see it.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Triskelli posted:

With such thick smoke it'll be difficult to tell at a glance if it's the Authorized Stoker adding another Urchin

Judging from the smoke, I'm betting on Urchins. Nasty little things.

As an aside, after doing a little reading, I found myself quite entertained by what Queen Victoria said about children and women's rights. The "queen" part of "For Queen, For Country" might end up more entertaining or apropos to the CE universe than I expected.

"I like them better than I did, if they are nice and pretty…Abstractedly, I have no tender for them till they have become a little human; an ugly baby is a very nasty object – and the prettiest is frightful when undressed. Until about 4 months; in short as long as they have their big body and little limbs and that terrible froglike action."

Will babies be half-human, half-frog?

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 25, 2013

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
There's a very important tidbit in there that I strongly approve of - if your settlement has no beds but does have buildings, people will sleep in them even if the building isn't something you'd normally think of as an appropriate place to sleep.

That's something I like a lot and which should make the very beginning of a settlement a bit easier, since you might skip building a bunkhouse while you get resource production/processing up since people can sleep in the brickworks or whatever.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

LordSloth posted:

"I like them better than I did, if they are nice and pretty…Abstractedly, I have no tender for them till they have become a little human; an ugly baby is a very nasty object – and the prettiest is frightful when undressed. Until about 4 months; in short as long as they have their big body and little limbs and that terrible froglike action."

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's freaked out by babies.

Also if we can't get half-human half-frog babies, we should at least be able to have half-human half-fishman babies. They wouldn't be able to breath under water but on the plus side they'd look really stupid. :downs:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

There's a very important tidbit in there that I strongly approve of - if your settlement has no beds but does have buildings, people will sleep in them even if the building isn't something you'd normally think of as an appropriate place to sleep.

That's something I like a lot and which should make the very beginning of a settlement a bit easier, since you might skip building a bunkhouse while you get resource production/processing up since people can sleep in the brickworks or whatever.

Chinese factory conditions. Workers sleep beside the still active machinery for maximum restfulness.

Admiral Funk posted:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's freaked out by babies.

Also if we can't get half-human half-frog babies, we should at least be able to have half-human half-fishman babies. They wouldn't be able to breath under water but on the plus side they'd look really stupid. :downs:

Construct some bathing pools by the coastline. Women may enter and hope to be impregnated by a Deep One :getin:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Woop woop particle editors! They're a lot of fun, I did a bunch of work myself with particles for the source engine, they're fun to work with.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Something I want to ask: How are railroads going to be handled? Like how will tracks be laid, what kind of options do we have controlling the locomotives, etc? Personally think that since the game is already on a loose grid an approach like Chris Sawyer's Locomotion would be good, with the justification that we're buying prefabricated pieces of track from the Empire.

dbaumgart
May 31, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Something I want to ask: How are railroads going to be handled? Like how will tracks be laid, what kind of options do we have controlling the locomotives, etc? Personally think that since the game is already on a loose grid an approach like Chris Sawyer's Locomotion would be good, with the justification that we're buying prefabricated pieces of track from the Empire.

We want to do something with this but it's too early to say anything particularly meaningful. CE is not fundamentally a game about scheduling trains, but still, trains are hugely, hugely important to the time period so it'd be awful not to have them.

I'll say though: Transport Tycoon is the first thing I think of as inspiration for trains in CE.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

dbaumgart posted:

I'll say though: Transport Tycoon is the first thing I think of as inspiration for trains in CE.

Yeah, basically just want a digital Lionel set that I can smash together with a chance of trains being infested by obleskians and barreling headlong into someone's breakfast nook. Steam locomotives have always sparked a unique passion in the hearts of men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JhloeKe30Q

Edit: That, and railways would probably be one of the more mundane Things That Go Wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MUzA3RmeIM
:anime:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 26, 2013

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Considering your history with DoD, what are the chances this game will have something similar to a perma-death mode? Obviously not the same thing, because you don't have one character that can just die and that's it. But some sort of mode that makes it as hard as possible to revert to a previous save when things go horribly wrong fun. You know, auto save every few minutes, overwrite the previous save each time, only allow manual saving when exiting the game, something like that? Or am I the only masochist who would get a kick out of that sort of game mode?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Anyone who save-scums this game should be shot :colbert:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the term is Iron Man game.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Rudi Starnberg posted:

I dont think snow eviroments should necessarily be much harder they should just be different. Much less agriculture obviously but no risk of tropical fevers and access to easier hunting. Potted walrus should definetly be a staple of any northen colony.

I just want there to be giant albino penguins.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

deathbagel posted:

Only if we get giant melanistic penguins in the name of symmetry.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Triskelli posted:

Only if we get giant melanistic penguins in the name of symmetry.

And giant penguins with a dark half and a light half

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Triskelli posted:

Edit: That, and railways would probably be one of the more mundane Things That Go Wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MUzA3RmeIM
:anime:

I think that may be the only time I have actually thought that song was a good choice and enhanced a video.

The engine's starting to look pretty schnazzy, Looking forwards to seeing this progressing, as it's rapidly starting to look like a semifunctional game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

deathbagel posted:

Tekeli-li!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Felime posted:

I think that may be the only time I have actually thought that song was a good choice and enhanced a video.

Nope, you're not the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I apologize for making a large number of questionable quality posts as of late, but this is something I've been sitting on for a few weeks now.

Despite Rome: Total War releasing to very mixed reviews (and frantic patching thereafter), I did appreciate Creative Assembly's decision to contact the guys at http://extra-credits.net/ and throwing a bit of advertising money their way to talk about Roman history for a few episodes. I've been watching this series for years and I think they do an excellent job of approaching issues in gaming and game design in a digestible and entertaining format.

I don't know what kind of advertising budget you guys have set aside, but I definitely think it would be worth your time to contact the guys from Extra Credit and see if they could do an episode using Clockwork Empires as a jumping off point. It could be anything from bizarre Victorian inventions to the role of Let's Plays and user-driven narratives in stories.

• Locked thread