Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Valen posted:

Yeah I can usually get away alright from 1-2 stars but 3+ is almost impossible with psychic cops spawning from thin air, always moving exactly in front of me no matter how much I swerve or break line of sight, and they always seem to see through changing cars even if I pay attention to traffic laws. Either I'm missing something very basic or there is some wildly varying behavior in this game.

At three stars you pretty much have to take the helicopters down before you start running, otherwise they know exactly where you are at all times. If you break line of sight they don't tend to spawn right in front of you as much. Blast the snipers rather than the pilot and you'll get a little more time before another one spawns, because he'll run away to go pick up more dudes instead of crashing and instantly letting another chopper spawn.

I've started getting really good at escaping cops in this game, but sometimes they rain bullets on you so fast you have no time to react.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
I wouldn't bother trying to change cars if the cops are anywhere near you. While the carjacking animation plays they'll catch up and shoot the tires of the new car. If you can just keep going and make turns, eventually you'll lose them, including the helicopter. I'm pretty bad at games and I haven't been busted or killed once by police, not even when I stormed the airport while trying to defog the map. That was instant 4 stars iirc.

One thing, though: I haven't found bushes to be useful for hiding. The cops seemed to see right through the bushes, more than once. Maybe I wasn't hiding right, I dunno.

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups

webmeister posted:

Also remember that the cops will converge on your last known position. So if you duck into an alley out of sight and two different cop cars approach the street you were last seen on from opposite directions, of course they're going to figure out that you went down the alley.

Go down the alley, round the corner, hop over a fence and steal a different car. Unless there's a helicopter watching you, you're now home free unless you drive pretty much straight in front of the cops. Keep an eye on the minimap and make sure you're hiding/car switching etc when helicopters aren't nearby. They don't seem to have much fuel and give up on their chases fairly quickly.

I find getting away from the police actually a lot of fun. It is not a joke like the other games. The thing that really grinds my gears is their laser like accuracy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Johnnyonoes posted:

I find getting away from the police actually a lot of fun. It is not a joke like the other games. The thing that really grinds my gears is their laser like accuracy.

I've come to really enjoy it in Los Santos, but it's lovely and unbalanced in the rural areas.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Question regarding a series of Michael sidequests:

When he's wearing the Kifflom clothing, do I need to be controlling him for it to count towards his ten days? Or can I have him wear it, switch to someone else, and time continues as normal? I know I can just save the game a hundred times but I'd rather pass the time collecting poo poo or doing races.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hobo Clown posted:

Question regarding a series of Michael sidequests:

When he's wearing the Kifflom clothing, do I need to be controlling him for it to count towards his ten days? Or can I have him wear it, switch to someone else, and time continues as normal? I know I can just save the game a hundred times but I'd rather pass the time collecting poo poo or doing races.

If you switch, it doesn't count, on account of the fact that Michael will most likely switch to another outfit. It really is better off if you just repeatedly take naps for ten days in a row. You don't actually have to save, either, just lay down, cancel out of the save, repeat.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I love the new cop evasion system, I just wish we got a Metal Gear style countdown so we knew when the cops were going to give up.

Also, this game is really, really pretty. I just spent ages hiking up Mount Josiah and had to take this picture.

Sadly the decent down the other side didn't go so well. One bad step and I ended up bouncing all the way down to my death :saddowns:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Johnnyonoes posted:

Yeah, the cops are way too accurate. Earlier I had my tires blown out in sequence within a few seconds, then started leaking fuel. Ridiculous.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dominic White posted:

That's a very conservative estimate, too. Pretty sure the story stuff took me at least another 5-10 hours on top of that, and I've not even touched most of the activities and optional content.

Yeah I'm sitting at 16 hours played and have done exactly 1/3 of the story missions. I've been doing the Strangers and Freaks as they pop up, but that's about it. This game is taking me forever but I never want it to finish.

For comparison, GTA4 took me 30 hours and I was slogging through near the end just to get it over with.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah, the cops are way too accurate. Earlier I had my tires blown out in sequence within a few seconds, then started leaking fuel. Ridiculous.

I was trying to drive away from the cops at high speed and ended up ramming into the back of a semi who was trying to take a turn like an idiot. I got five squad cars run into my back after that. The time it took to get out of my car I was already dead.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Stux posted:

Most of that time has been running around. Ive collected loads of stuff, done other side missions, gone on numerous random rampages and drives with all characters and it just won't move on.

Ah that sucks then. I have had the quests spawning be a bit janky too but running around and doing other stuff seemed to make them appear if just sleeping wasn't doing anything. I think someone posted that Rockstar has been getting reports of issues with it so I guess you aren't alone. :(

Officejet Pro
Oct 21, 2009

Commander in Chimp
Hey so I have been messing around with the stock market and I strongly believe that my ingame action have no affect on it (at least the LCN stock isn't changed, no idea about BAWSAQ) so instead I went and looked at stock for a lil' bit to see how it fluctuated, after a while I saw a stock that dropped lower then usual and put about 30 mil into it on Franklin and waited for about 30 minutes or so and it rised to make me a cool 3mil ! It's the highest I've gotten without the Lester missions. This was also after completing all the main storyline missions.

Also the best stock to buy in my opinion is the lowest priced ones because your return is much higher since you can buy a ton of them. It's also best to save often in case things... don't go as planned. This is just speculation after hours of medling with the stock market but I think there is a cap on the amount of return you can have with the stock your'e invested in.

Also I discovered that you can use the Cargobob hook on the tank for some mobile mayhem ! This is gonna be awesome online because someone can be in the tank.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

piratepilates posted:

I like how for a drunk driving mission the dude just wanted me to drive to his house up the road in Los Santos but I ended up driving him past his house, up the hills, past the Vinewood part of the country, past barns and small country towns, and up a mountain on the other side of the island.

You'd think he'd be more concerned than he was.

And similarly that poor bastard that just wanted to go play golf. The course literally about a minute drive down the road. Instead I opted to show him a errr... alternative country club I thought he might like even more.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I bought a number of really low priced stocks and they have exceeded my expectations by going even lower than I thought numerically possible.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Knightmare posted:

It's 4k-8k which is quite a bit when just starting out. And probably will be quite in a bit in GTAO where the stock market can't be gamed with assassination missions.

The stock market gaming doesn't mean jack poo poo in the grand scheme of things. the game's economy is horribly balanced, there are a couple million dollar missions, 10, 20, 30 and 150 million dollar properties, and the majority of the activities pay under $1,000. You would have to rob 2 armored trucks to buy and fully upgrade the advanced submachine gun.

There are a ton of incredibly detailed, yet completely unused set pieces in the game, it seems to me they gutted the main game to build up GTA online, and forgot to rebalance it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Does VAG ever recover after the first heist?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Officejet Pro posted:

Also the best stock to buy in my opinion is the lowest priced ones because your return is much higher since you can buy a ton of them.

It doesn't matter if a stock costs $5 or $500, if it goes up 15%, you make the same amount of relative money. 1 share at $500 or 100 shares at $5 at 15% is still $75. Lower priced shares just let you diversify your investments easier when you don't have much money.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I feel like this game is really big and detailed, but the heists are lacking in quantity.

BitBasher posted:

I user her for Trevor booty calls. She's the only one I didn't sell to the altruists.

Noted. Is there any bonus for getting all the booty calls or is it just a thing to do to do.

piratepilates posted:

Is it possible to get a high top fade on Franklin? All the barbers (who seem to all come from the same family) just give me the options for a bunch of shaven in patterns, I wanna Kid 'n' Play this motherfucker.

I thought the same thing about the barbers, and I want to know more about that.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rapdawg posted:

Noted. Is there any bonus for getting all the booty calls or is it just a thing to do to do.

It gives you full health if you're at 50%. But the only advantage that you get is that you don't have to pay 1-10 dollars.

Officejet Pro
Oct 21, 2009

Commander in Chimp

Obsurveyor posted:

It doesn't matter if a stock costs $5 or $500, if it goes up 15%, you make the same amount of relative money. 1 share at $500 or 100 shares at $5 at 15% is still $75. Lower priced shares just let you diversify your investments easier when you don't have much money.

Hum, your'e right but I haven't seen any high stocks rise 15% in price that's the difference. Although with that said I think that everyone's LCN is different in some ways because I saw someones AirEmu at 200$ and mine has been hovering around 3-8$ all game long so it's really weird in that way.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Rapdawg posted:

Not that I know of. It's Trevor, I can't imagine he has too much luck with the ladies. I was just trying to hook him up.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rizzo Crackers posted:

So i was messing about with the cable cars. Found a parachute, a motorcycle, then a train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGvsh9x4NEA

I laughed at this, thanks.

I have worked 39 hours in the last three days and done nothing but sleep in between. All I want to do is go home and play. :( I really think this may be my favourite game ever.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

BitBasher posted:

Not that I know of. It's Trevor, I can't imagine he has too much luck with the ladies. I was just trying to hook him up.

The first time you see him post prologue he's getting his end away in someone else's girlfriend...

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

BitBasher posted:

I user her for Trevor booty calls. She's the only one I didn't sell to the altruists.

Don't use a helicopter for the booty calls:

VVV What?!? You do realize the moment I even started up the rotor blades it blew up.

Apathetic Artist fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 26, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Irsh posted:

Don't use a helicopter for the booty calls:

Pfft. Big baby get pro.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Ah that sucks then. I have had the quests spawning be a bit janky too but running around and doing other stuff seemed to make them appear if just sleeping wasn't doing anything. I think someone posted that Rockstar has been getting reports of issues with it so I guess you aren't alone. :(

And I wanted to hit 100% before GTA:O comes out :(

By the way for anyone having difficulties evading police or taking out helicopters on the move: Franklin's ability doubles up as being the same as Michael's when you are in a car and makes taking out the pilots while driving super easy. And like others have mentioned, changing car is a great thing to do; you'll see your marker on the minimap changes to grey when they lose track of your vehicle and you have to get right inside their sight cone to be reacquired. The police system is great because it makes the chases far more manic but actually lets you escape even a 5 star level by being clever.

Oh also someone mentioned the lack of normal patrol cars. They exist in the countryside and come after you before the pursuit cars are brought in. In the city the pursuit cars come out straight away because you are in the middle of the city where the police stations are. The countryside only seems to have sheriffs offices.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I might be wrong on this, since I just started trying it, but when you open up the stock market home page, on the right side of the screen there are 3 different news headlines for stocks. These change once every 24 hours (real time, and it could be 12 since I just check in the evening). So far every time I invest in one of those stocks, it goes up as much as 10%, depending on how many times during your investment period you either sleep or complete missions/side quests. During that time, it will randomly fluctuate but on average be increasing. Once I'm done playing, I save and then sell the stocks the next time I play, and reinvest in whatever new stock is on the news page.

Doing this gives relatively low return %, but so far it has been guaranteed return and keeps me from paying hospital bills. Plus, the more money you have to invest, the more return you'll get since Rockstar's stock system doesn't really care about actual number of stocks that could realistically be available.

If anyone wants to try this as well, I'd love to hear if this method works the same for them or if I've just gotten lucky so far.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Any tips for how to do the minigun shooting medals? I've managed gold in every other gun category but the minigun ones just elude me and I can never score higher than bronze. I'm pretty sure it doesn't benefit me in any way but I have to, I HAVE TO.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

vuohiliitto posted:

Any tips for how to do the minigun shooting medals? I've managed gold in every other gun category but the minigun ones just elude me and I can never score higher than bronze. I'm pretty sure it doesn't benefit me in any way but I have to, I HAVE TO.

Never stop shooting. Don't even bother to aim. The multiplier in the heavy missions are based on how many cumulative targets you hit, and it doesn't ever reset if you miss, only if you go a couple seconds without hitting anything.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

vuohiliitto posted:

Don't burst fire, hold it down and sweep from target to target.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

vuohiliitto posted:

Never stop shooting.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Oxxidation posted:

Never stop shooting. Don't even bother to aim. The multiplier in the heavy missions are based on how many cumulative targets you hit, and it doesn't ever reset if you miss, only if you go a couple seconds without hitting anything.

This was what I missed. I hadn't realised the multiplier loss was now based on time spent not hitting a target, rather than number of rounds not hitting a target.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I had a great escape earlier. I decided to go steal a fire truck right out from the driveway of the firehouse near Grove St. Of course, the cops immediately began to respond, but right down the street is a parking garage. I went in, went down a level, and waited off to one side of the ramp. After a minute a police cruiser stopped at the driveway, and then turned in. Realizing he'd see me if I stayed around, or tried to go up the ramp, I instead drove straight ahead and then slowly made a lap around the ramp, breaking line of sight with the cop. Went back up the ramp, leaving him behind, drove out the structure right behind another unit, and my wanted level dropped a few seconds later. Drove unfettered all the way back to my garage, flashing my lights and sirens, and giving out free car washes to any convertible I saw :v:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So after main story mission stock question. Spoiler because maybe it might ruin some peoples fun, or something.

Shortly after completing the game I got a text from a Merryweather dude saying that the stock had temporarily taken a dive and he could now buy up all of Devin's shares at a discounted price. I bought a ton of their stock on all my characters and its gone up .6 percent or something really low, does anyone know if it will eventually skyrocket back up?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Is this that eye thing someone was talking about on Mt. Chilliad earlier?
http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/snapmatic/photo/I6cW0mF-J0mfK_Fa9-Pr6w

No idea what it is. Looks like an eye with 4 dots around it?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

I've had on-foot cops kill me through the fighter jet's cockpit a couple times while flying low. It's insane.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I might be on to something interesting:

It seems if you hold up on the left stick while jacking and entering a car, you get in and hotwire it faster.

Vargs posted:

I've had on-foot cops kill me through the fighter jet's cockpit a couple times while flying low. It's insane.

What the hell, Rockstar.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Aww man, I just realized the tattoo I put on Trevor at the beginning of the game says RIP Micheal Townley :(

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I love that you can power brake stuff till the tires pop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Grem posted:

Aww man, I just realized the tattoo I put on Trevor at the beginning of the game says RIP Micheal Townley :(

You didn't add that - he starts with it.

• Locked thread