Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Created by Will Gluck and Sam Laybourne, and executive produced by Fox himself, The Michael J. Fox Show is Fox's first starring role since he left Spin City.

Fox plays Mike Henry, a beloved former newscaster who decides to return to work five years after leaving due to his Parkinson's. The series also features Betsy Brandt (fresh off Breaking Bad) as Mike's wife Annie, Wendell Pierce (The Wire) as his boss Harris Green, Conor Romero, Juliette Goglia, and Jack Gore as his children Ian, Eve and Graham, and Katie Finneran as his sister Leigh.

While some of the marketing has made this show seem rather safe, the strength of some of the cast and the fact that it's been reviewing well give me hope. The show also doesn't seem to be using Fox's affliction purely as an emotional crutch and is willing to joke about it. If you still need convincing, watch the trailer.

The Michael J. Fox Show's hour-long premiere airs at 9/8c Thursday, September 26. The show airs at 9:30/8:30c every Thursday afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is the least spoilery thing ever, but I love how Betsy is wearing purple in her very first scene. No doubt that that's on purpose!.

Not seen the second episode yet, but the first was pretty much as expected after the upfront trailer. It's good to see MJF back in a leading role again, it looks like it's going to have a lot of heart and hopefully some good laughs. I'm looking forward to seeing the ratings come in tomorrow and see how it does as I know NBC are putting a fair bit of weight behind this.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Wakey wakey!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is a pretty good start. I love Michael J Fox and am interested to see Marie from Breaking Bad as a comedy actor.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Okay, I laughed at the rolling chair flashback.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I laughed at the chair and now I feel terrible.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

NBC's gonna bring me back with sloooow motion and uplifting music in the background.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

iastudent posted:

Okay, I laughed at the rolling chair flashback.

We have these things called wheel locks now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Was... was that a Parkinson's sex joke?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Connect the gravy? That's not gonna be helpful.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Luigi Thirty posted:

Was... was that a Parkinson's sex joke?

Yes it was.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This show is going a mile a minute. No time to breathe and take in the jokes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I was wondering when the first lovely drama about the Somali pirate hijacking would come. I can't wait to see how a bunch of half starved teenagers were criminal masterminds and heroic Tom Hanks is basically Jesus.

Streets Ahead
Oct 21, 2010

cool cool cool
"You're garbage. You're a garbage daughter"

ok that was really funny to me

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I was wondering when the first lovely drama about the Somali pirate hijacking would come. I can't wait to see how a bunch of half starved teenagers were criminal masterminds and heroic Tom Hanks is basically Jesus.

Also how they gloss over the part where the captain intentionally changed course into known piracy routes to shave a day off his route.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Let me take over your crafting room.

WHERE WOULD I CRAFT?!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Slow moooootiooooooooon!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is a great show so far.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
"Honey, I'm going back to 30 Rock!"

"Jesus Christ, Mike, it's a mineral!"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It's a puff piece!

I can be your hero, daddy...

I like this show a lot so far.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So is Gravity bad or good because I can't decide.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The theme of being against emotionally manipulative bullshit would work a bit better if this show weren't surrounded by ads for emotionally manipulative Oscar bait.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hcreight posted:

The theme of being against emotionally manipulative bullshit would work a bit better if this show weren't surrounded by ads for emotionally manipulative Oscar bait.

If anything that makes it better. A dude with actual Parkinson's is making a show where a lot of the humor comes in him not wanting the sappy poo poo, and then Hollywood is churning sappy emotional manipulation out by the bucket because they assume that's the good move.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Just... Google it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

You're my hero both professionally and... televisionally :qq:

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Car sick huh? For me, it's perfectly still.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Lauer! :doom:

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
This is a really good show.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

How tall is Betsy Brandt exactly? I know Fox is fairly short but she is seriously towering over him in a few shots.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hcreight posted:

How tall is Betsy Brandt exactly? I know Fox is fairly short but she is seriously towering over him in a few shots.

She's massive. Fox is a short dude yea but Brandt is legit a very tall lady.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hcreight posted:

She's 5'11 according to Google. Fox is like 5'4.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What's top stuff?

I don't even know anymore :smith:

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Jesus, this whole segment is magnificent.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Awkward.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Luigi Thirty posted:

She's 5'11 according to Google. Fox is like 5'4.

And considering the usual hollywood math, he's likely closer to 5'1".

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
His real wife is SO much hotter than his TV wife.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

CannedMacabre posted:

His real wife is SO much hotter than his TV wife.

Who? Is that her as the neighbor?

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

hahaha, just sticking the peanut butter and jelly in the lunchbox was pretty great.

• Locked thread