Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That's weird because since I heard The Boss first, now I only hear her reading the news instead of the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The reason people tend to dislike The Boss's voice is because that voice actress has a recurring role on Family Guy where she uses the exact same voice. She had this role well before MGS3 was released. So people find it a bit jarring when they hear that voice coming out of such a major character. I get where they're coming from. I have to actively suspend my disbelief in order to not find it distracting. I still think she did a good job though.

I don't think you can say this - when I first played MGS3 I had never seen Family Guy (still haven't) and thought she was weird in parts. Not terrible, just a bit off.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The reason people tend to dislike The Boss's voice is because that voice actress has a recurring role on Family Guy where she uses the exact same voice. She had this role well before MGS3 was released. So people find it a bit jarring when they hear that voice coming out of such a major character. I get where they're coming from. I have to actively suspend my disbelief in order to not find it distracting. I still think she did a good job though.

For me, it's more that she's Pearl from Spongebob. I still like the voice, but realizing that was the weirdest thing.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Point being, why don't they treat you like any of the other dozens of enemy combatants? Do their nanomachines tell them that Solid Snake is the guy tipping over a bottle over there and that that is more important than all the gunfire?

Yes, and yes. Nanomachines literally explain everything in MGS4, from why you can or can't use specific guns, to why you're the target the enemies care about more, to why cancer literally kills someone within a minute. Such a stupid goddamned game.

That loving Sned posted:

The voice acting for Snatcher was done with all the actors in the same room, which was supposed to be because of the limited budget didn't allow for separate sessions, but they said it actually worked out really well. Doing that does have it's problems, such as in Uncharted 3 where Cutter's actor had to leave to work on The Hobbit, and was written out of the story pretty bluntly.

Yeah, typically a lot of recording does get done individually. It does lead to voicework that definitely sounds unnatural next to actual physical acting though, which is a problem in Metal Gear for me. It's a bit unfair to single out Uncharted 3's unique circumstances, though, since ultimately it still had overall better voice work from the people who stayed behind. You don't get anything like Drake freaking out over Sully in MGS. Ever.

I know someone's gonna fly in here and say "LOL BUT METAL GEAR IS UNNATURAL UR SUPPOSED TO LAUGH AND GROW FAT (thats a clever reference :haw: WHY DO YOU HATE FUN)", but that doesn't change the voice work from being incredibly stilted throughout all of the games. You can still tell a story about bisexual nanomachine vampires running on water and the proliferation of giant lizard themed nuke-mechs without having the voice work sound so awkward. There's a number of excuses that could go into place for MGS1-3, but 4 came out in a time where voice acting in videogames had seen a SIGNIFICANT leap forward in quality and believability.

I don't even like the game all that much, but Spec Ops: The Line has amazing voice work, some of the best in the generation, and it's a bargain bin game compared to MGS4's budget.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

One thing that really annoys me is them making Octocamo not exist until 2014 in the series timeline and the only thing after that is Raiden being a crazy awesome cyborg ninja. I want more Metal Gear games to use Octocamo, it was awesome.

Originally they wanted to make it even better than it ended up being too; it was going to copy the exact textures around it for a really slick chameleon effect instead of a generic one (which is still cool) and if you were around water (or fire) the camo would animate with waves and ripples. The latter they had to axe because it made the devkits crash instantly I think.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fivegears4reverse posted:

Yes, and yes. Nanomachines literally explain everything in MGS4, from why you can or can't use specific guns, to why you're the target the enemies care about more, to why cancer literally kills someone within a minute. Such a stupid goddamned game.

The thing is, I think that would just make the first two acts, you know, the ones that actually had decent gameplay, far too easy in the sections where conflict is happening. You could pretty much still do a no alert run while going straight from point A to point B.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

I'll be straight with you, I don't hear it. AT ALL.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

OldMemes posted:

Snatcher's voice acting is really good, especially considering the era and the budget of the game it's from.

I'd kill for a remake or re-release with the old cast back. :allears:

It's really kind of jarring how good the voice acting in it is, as I don't think any of them went on to do anything else.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Panzeh posted:

The thing is, I think that would just make the first two acts, you know, the ones that actually had decent gameplay, far too easy in the sections where conflict is happening. You could pretty much still do a no alert run while going straight from point A to point B.

It is kind of part of the reason why I think alerts are kind of goofy. Part of me thinks they are ok, but the other part of me think they are kind of outdated.

InfinityComplex posted:

I'll be straight with you, I don't hear it. AT ALL.

Well thats great. Because I can.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll be honest, I have no idea how you can play any video game on the market if hearing the same voice in two roles ruins your suspension of disbelief. I don't mean that in an offensive way, it's just that there's so much overlap and so few voice actors that you'll inevitably hear the same few people over and over and even the best voice actors in the world have a limited enough range they'll probably recycle voices eventually.

I know that comes across as "what's wrong with you" but I don't mean it that way. I just don't get how it could happen here and not in "Troy Baker voices everyone ever" games. v:shobon:v

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ImpAtom posted:

I'll be honest, I have no idea how you can play any video game on the market if hearing the same voice in two roles ruins your suspension of disbelief. I don't mean that in an offensive way, it's just that there's so much overlap and so few voice actors that you'll inevitably hear the same few people over and over and even the best voice actors in the world have a limited enough range they'll probably recycle voices eventually.

I know that comes across as "what's wrong with you" but I don't mean it that way. I just don't get how it could happen here and not in "Troy Baker voices everyone ever" games. v:shobon:v

I remember it was a problem with Nolan North for a while. But that guy has some pretty impressive range.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
If games having the same voice actors freak you out, realising how many games Jennifer Hale and Steve Blum are in will ruin games forever for you, so it's a silly argument.

Apparently the voice acting in the first MGS wasn't even done in a proper studio, but an apartment with recording equipment set up (!).

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

OldMemes posted:

Apparently the voice acting in the first MGS wasn't even done in a proper studio, but an apartment with recording equipment set up (!).
I guess that would explain how echoey all the voices were.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

I'll be honest, I have no idea how you can play any video game on the market if hearing the same voice in two roles ruins your suspension of disbelief

It might have something to do with the fact that when you first meet The Boss, it's in a codec call, so all you really hear is the voice. Just a guess. Normally this kind of thing doesn't bother me, but for some reason it kinda sorta did on The Boss. A lot of the actors in Metal Gear tend to be lesser known so such an overlap rarely occurs. I was pretty young when MGS1 came out so I didn't recognize any of the voices. Might have something to do with it as well.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

I remember it was a problem with Nolan North for a while. But that guy has some pretty impressive range.

Nolan North played the goddamn Penguin in Arkham City. I didn't believe the credits at first.

OldMemes posted:

If games having the same voice actors freak you out, realising how many games Jennifer Hale and Steve Blum are in will ruin games forever for you, so it's a silly argument.

Ideally, voice actors have range and don't have to sound exactly the same at every role they ever take. Which didn't happen with the Boss, which left me wondering when I was going to hear a SWAT Cats reference or a comical news update in the middle of her beating the poo poo out of Snake at the end of Virtuous Mission.

Steve Blum has an excuse, he's literally told to sound the same despite a proven ability to do some crazy poo poo. I don't know about Jennifer Hale, I've only heard one role of hers across three games, it's basically her biggest spoken role yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ideally, voice actors have range and don't have to sound exactly the same at every role they ever take. Which didn't happen with the Boss, which left me wondering when I was going to hear a SWAT Cats reference or a comical news update in the middle of her beating the poo poo out of Snake at the end of Virtuous Mission.

Lori Alan has literally been acting since she was five and has demonstrated a lot of range. The fact that you can recognize similar voices among her roles does not mean she doesn't have range. Billy West does half the voices in Futurama but he also basically used his Fry voice for Skeets in Justice League Unlimited. It's a side effect of being one person.

Steve Blum has an excuse, he's literally told to sound the same despite a proven ability to do some crazy poo poo. I don't know about Jennifer Hale, I've only heard one role of hers across three games, it's basically her biggest spoken role yet.

You never played Bioshock Infinite? Knights of the Old Republic? Tales of Symphonia? Mercenaries? Hale is super-prolific.

Actually considering the thread we're in, she was Naomi in MGS4.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 28, 2013

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

She also played Emma in MGS2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Celery Face posted:

She also played Emma in MGS2.

God drat it Otacon.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

You never played Bioshock Infinite? Knights of the Old Republic? Tales of Symphonia? Mercenaries? Hale is super-prolific.

She sounded like Renegade Shepard to me in MGS 4, which only further compounded my dislike for the character. It didn't help that the dialogue itself was awful.

I stand corrected about Blum, the only game in that list that I haven't played through is Infinite.

Lori Allen made the Boss sound exactly like a news reporter from a different show. Whether or not she actually has range, I don't think it was a good voice for the character.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

John DiMaggio is another VA that surprises me because 90% of the time he's doing a Bender voice but then I learned a few months ago that he was Wakka and Kimahri, what the gently caress?

And on the other end of the spectrum you have H. Jon Benjamin who plays H. Jon Benjamin.

e: Metal Gear Solid always gave me a feeling of deja vu because I remember watching Guyver as a kid and he was in that movie. His robot voice in the suit sounded similar to Solid Snake but I never made the connection until a decade later.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 28, 2013

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Hale was Naomi in MGS1 and Twin Snakes as well.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Hale was Naomi in MGS1 and Twin Snakes as well.

I honestly thought that she wasn't the original voice in MGS1, learn something new every day :aaa:. Then again, didn't basically everyone who did work on MGS1 use pseudonyms because of union rules and such? Cam Clarke was James Flinders, or something like that.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Blackheart posted:

That's weird because since I heard The Boss first, now I only hear her reading the news instead of the other way around.

Doesn't she voice Wonder Woman in the cartoons?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

I honestly thought that she wasn't the original voice in MGS1, learn something new every day :aaa:. Then again, didn't basically everyone who did work on MGS1 use pseudonyms because of union rules and such? Cam Clarke was James Flinders, or something like that.

Everyone from MGS1 reprised their roles in Twin Snakes, except instead of playing Grey Fox in addition to Donald Anderson, they replaced Greg Eagles with Rob Paulson.

I have a hard time divorcing voice actors from their prior roles, and that took me out of it in MGS2, 3, and Peace Walker. I just can't get it out of my head that the world is being threatened by Samurai Jack, Pearl Krabs, and Twilight Sparkle with a Spanish accent.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

What? Ideally voice actors are good at performing. With their voice. Some people can do a bunch of zany voices and some people can't or don't need to because they have a strong, distinctive voice that's popular with casting directors. Your priority in the booth is absolutely not to be thinking about some other entirely unrelated job. On top of which the vast majority of voice over work is commercials not character acting, and those guys don't give a gently caress about your funny elephant voice.

Also casting trends are cyclical, so here's a quick cheat for anyone who is bothered that Temporarily Popular Actor X sounds like themselves: grow up and stop watching so many cartoons.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Also casting trends are cyclical, so here's a quick cheat for anyone who is bothered that Temporarily Popular Actor X sounds like themselves: grow up and stop watching so many cartoons.

Yeah play video games like the rest of us adults

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lori Allen made the Boss sound exactly like a news reporter from a different show. Whether or not she actually has range, I don't think it was a good voice for the character.

If it makes you feel any better it was a good portrayal of a supersoldier who'd been through hell and back so many times death had become a waiting game instead of a pursuit. Emotion was one of those things that was for the rubes you killed/rendered comatose along the way.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Her emotion was Joy though, so I assumed she really fuckin liked it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
She was probably a lot more joyful before she was forced to kill the Sorrow.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Entire Universe posted:

If it makes you feel any better it was a good portrayal of a supersoldier who'd been through hell and back so many times death had become a waiting game instead of a pursuit. Emotion was one of those things that was for the rubes you killed/rendered comatose along the way.

:cmon: Naked Snake killed her, became Big Boss, and still found the time to impart the joy of cardboard boxes to the next generation of child soldiers. I guess not all supersoldiers are born equal.

Dude got MOTIVATED, not monotone, rrrrrrrrrrrrrhrgrhgrhrghlrglrglll-ing his way into history. No wonder he misinterpreted the will of The Boss, the trick is to act and sound dead to the world until you're almost dead.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What about the Silent Hill games? I'm talking the original ones made by Team Silent, not the lovely recent ones. People complain about the acting in those games, but I thought the actors were intentionally directed to sound kind of dazed and dreary, to give the game a surreal dreamy feel. And I heard they hired non-actors to make the performances sound like real people(don't have source for that though). If you're a snob, I guess you could complain about the acting, and how they aren't the best actors, but I thought the performances were a perfect fit for that world and wouldn't have it any other way. Especially Guy Cihi in Silent Hill 2.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:cmon: Naked Snake killed her, became Big Boss, and still found the time to impart the joy of cardboard boxes to the next generation of child soldiers. I guess not all supersoldiers are born equal.

Dude got MOTIVATED, not monotone, rrrrrrrrrrrrrhrgrhgrhrghlrglrglll-ing his way into history. No wonder he misinterpreted the will of The Boss, the trick is to act and sound dead to the world until you're almost dead.

All the characters voiced by Phil LaMarr are the true heirs of The Boss' monotonous destiny!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

AASman posted:

People complain about the acting in those games, but I thought the actors were intentionally directed to sound kind of dazed and dreary, to give the game a surreal dreamy feel. And I heard they hired non-actors to make the performances sound like real people(don't have source for that though). If you're a snob, I guess you could complain about the acting, and how they aren't the best actors, but I thought the performances were a perfect fit for that world and wouldn't have it any other way. Especially Guy Cihi in Silent Hill 2.

Kind of glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The acting isn't perfect, but the performances fit the characters really well.

The dude who did Eddie was the right amount of loving weird.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

OldMemes posted:

Yeah, I read about this and even spoke to Paul Eiding about it once. Apparently the reason why they had to re-record for The Twin Snakes is that, with the GameCube sound tech, you can hear traffic going by.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, I read about this and even spoke to Paul Eiding about it once. Apparently the reason why they had to re-record for The Twin Snakes is that, with the GameCube sound tech, you can hear traffic going by.

It would be somewhat funny to hear ambulance sirens and horns during Sniper Wolf's death scene.

"Are you... Saladin?" *HONK*

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If an ice cream truck drove by during the recording of one of the more dramatic scenes would it have changed the Metal Gear tone at all?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

If an ice cream truck drove by during the recording of one of the more dramatic scenes would it have changed the Metal Gear tone at all?

People would bring it up as a defining moment in the game. "The way you can kinda hear ice cream truck music represents _____"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I cried when I heard the homeless man shouting "gently caress You!" during Psycho Mantis' death scene.

Gestalt Illusion
May 28, 2013

I think a couple of cutscenes were still recorded in an apartment. An apartment close to a military airbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

Which trailer is everyone dumping on? Anybody got a link? The last one in the OP is from E3.
Thanks to "John Luebke" for posting the link. I've updated the Media section of the OP with the English dialogue trailer and with the Japanese gameplay demo.

My thoughts on these recent media releases:

I'm happy to see that Snake is actually shown carrying the weapons in his inventory. When he picks up the enemy sniper rifle, it's slung on his back while the assault rife hangs to the side. Bottomless pockets bother me a bit.

I like the concept of full-base alert. It really jives with the idea that "the whole world wants you dead." The other games have been a bit strange with the idea of the Alert phase. "A legendary stealth soldier was spotted in our base and has already killed ten men, but we've been looking for him for a whole minute now and we've found nothing, so maybe he's gone."

I'm glad Snake can finally jump a little, and grab people from behind cover. The punches and kicks look smooth and satisfying, and will give me a reason to do something hands-on other than holdups and CQC-slams.

I really enjoy everything I've seen about the helicopter, from the jukebox to the method of POW extraction. Choosing the rendezvous point is a great touch, and I hope it allows you to change weapon/item loadouts mid-mission. Maybe even do supply drops and airstrikes.

I have no problem with the expanded tagging mechanic. It was cumbersome and inefficient in PW, and will mean great things for online play this time around. I particularly appreciate the fact that Snake sees an 'x-ray' representation of the targets. The poster now makes a lot of sense. I wonder if, with all the limbs that have gone missing, it will allow for the discovery of some interesting hidden information. (Maybe something like what the Mantis Mask was going to be in MGS2.) If you could see what's inside someone, that would explain the in-universe mechanic. Chico has an audio jack inside him. Paz has what appears to be a bomb or tracking device. Snake has a horn. It's not a stretch to assume there might be more going on there.

Something that I've noticed that I haven't seen discussed is that there appears to be destructible environments to some degree. It may just be a pre-scripted event because it was due to enemy fire, but during the Jeep escape at the end of the daytime demo, a guard tower explodes and collapses.

AASman posted:

Waaay too many button prompts and icons on screen.
At least they got rid of the one that says you can press against a wall. That was the one that bothered me in PW. I do hope that there's an option to remove them once you are used to the new gameplay options, as I'd like to be able to remove the entire HUD, as I did in AC3 with pleasant results.

Strayer posted:

...it wouldn't surprise me if the themes of information control and the dichotomy between Legend and the Truth resurfaced in MGSV.
The game is set in 1984. You can pretty much count on the game to explain the rise of Patriot/AI control. (The Ingsoc flag in the film is a beg red V... [/spoiler]for Victory[/spoiler].) Between this and Moby Dick, I hope MGSV will have a decent amount of literary references to go along with the staple film references.

Celery Face posted:

Whoever played Fortune did a pretty crappy job, but other than that, the voice acting in the series is fantastic. It's over the top but I think it fits perfectly to have over the top voice acting in an over the top series.
Can you imagine if they'd actually kept the idea that she should play woeful saxophone solos in the game?

CharlestonJew posted:

And somehow managed to brainwash every soldier in the Zanzibar Land army into freezing completely when the national anthem is played.
We Wish You A Merry Gear Solid
I'm pretty sure Big Boss is Santa Claus, but I won't get into this right now. (Maybe I'll put something together for Christmas.) Interesting about that theme in MG2 is that the audio quality will degrade if you overplay the in-game cassette. Maybe we'll see some cool things with cassettes now that Snake is shown with a walkman on his belt in Ground Zeroes.

Speedball posted:

What are the odds of the artificial hand being a POWER FIST?
Kojima did avoid answering the question when asked by Keighley about any uses for the hand. We shouldn't expect Bionic Commando, but there will be something about it. We already know that Zadornov's hand could be a lighter or be fired like a rocket.

Blackheart posted:

Actually I always expected Skullface's english voice to sound like a Fallout ghoul.
I like that you both mentioned Fallout. A friend recently convinced me to try Fallout 3, and I'm essentially playing Big Boss. (Although, having recently acquired both the Sheriff's outfit and the ghoul mask, I've been carrying around a hunting rifle and goofing on Skull Face.) I had to accept Burke's quest to blow up Megaton. Burke gives off a serious Zadornov vibe. I'm not very far into the game, but it's already been spoiled for me that the "President" is an AI. Now, I just need to start collecting war orphans and child soldiers. The game keeps telling me I've lost Karma. I don't think I have any left to lose. I'm already a demon.

And finally,

CrushedB posted:

edit: One Play Ota-Kon? What?
My thoughts exactly. What is known about this bizarre clip? I got the feeling that it was something akin to the fake TV adverts at the start of MGS4. I can't find any video of it. Is it entirely unrelated?

• Locked thread