Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Edge Milesworth posted:

I think a couple of cutscenes were still recorded in an apartment. An apartment close to a military airbase.

Took me a minute to get this but :golfclap:

mortalwombat posted:

I like that you both mentioned Fallout. A friend recently convinced me to try Fallout 3, and I'm essentially playing Big Boss. (Although, having recently acquired both the Sheriff's outfit and the ghoul mask, I've been carrying around a hunting rifle and goofing on Skull Face.) I had to accept Burke's quest to blow up Megaton. Burke gives off a serious Zadornov vibe. I'm not very far into the game, but it's already been spoiled for me that the "President" is an AI. Now, I just need to start collecting war orphans and child soldiers. The game keeps telling me I've lost Karma. I don't think I have any left to lose. I'm already a demon.

This is also how I choose to play Fallout: New Vegas. Download a mod that adds an eyepatch and you are good to fuckin' go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Obviously the cross promotion in MGS V will be with Cooking Mama as you help Sunny make the perfect eggs.

I've just finished watching ChipCheezum's LP of MGS 4. I can see why people might not like some bits, and it might be a chore to play at times, but when that game had it's moments, it was amazing. Ocelot and Snake's fist fight is the most :stare: crazy thing.

I love how Ironicus is just baffled by the most Metal Gear moments.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 30, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MGS4 was a good game, it was just ruined by a boring story that tried to wrap a bow on every plot point. But trying to do that is like trying to tie every James Bond movie together chronologically, it can't be done. Every time I was having fun like dodging traps at the end of Act 2 I suddenly have to watch another painful cinematic where an unnecessary story element is brought up, concluded via exposition, then swept under the carpet. They don't even let the villains have the satisfaction of narrating their back story, you have to listen to Drebin give his campfire story time while you stand over their body.

mortalwombat posted:

Something that I've noticed that I haven't seen discussed is that there appears to be destructible environments to some degree. It may just be a pre-scripted event because it was due to enemy fire, but during the Jeep escape at the end of the daytime demo, a guard tower explodes and collapses.

I mentioned earlier that I really want to see this game, and all future stealth games, being more inclusive with their environments. Kojima has teased us in the past with his team's technical prowess but it never really amounted to anything. I remember an interview about MGS2 where enemies could see Snake's shadow but this is only used as comedic effect and never comes up again. If Snake stands in the rain his cardboard box will be destroyed but it only rains in one area. The entirety of Olga's fight was a big technical show off with the blinding light and wind effects these elements never show up again.

This is what the next generation of gaming should be addressing. We probably won't ever see a graphical leap like the PS1 to PS2 so now designers need to focus on the details. Rain should create mud and muddy feet leave prints behind. You can slash a vehicle's tires or sabotage the engine. Enemies should be actively on alert, not "return to your positions" because you rolled into a vent. It's still a game, it should be fun above all else, but I have the most fun when I'm challenged with the unexpected or do things I didn't think I could do. I really want Kojima to double down on the attention to detail he's famous for.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 30, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

mortalwombat posted:

I like that you both mentioned Fallout. A friend recently convinced me to try Fallout 3, and I'm essentially playing Big Boss. (Although, having recently acquired both the Sheriff's outfit and the ghoul mask, I've been carrying around a hunting rifle and goofing on Skull Face.) I had to accept Burke's quest to blow up Megaton. Burke gives off a serious Zadornov vibe. I'm not very far into the game, but it's already been spoiled for me that the "President" is an AI. Now, I just need to start collecting war orphans and child soldiers. The game keeps telling me I've lost Karma. I don't think I have any left to lose. I'm already a demon.

Oh boy, be sure to play New Vegas afterwards. Fallout 3 is pretty good, if flawed, but with NV you'll be in for a treat!

OldMemes posted:

Obviously the cross promotion in MGS V will be with Cooking Mama as you help Sunny make the perfect eggs.

Snake... Do you think love can bloom even on a kitchen?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

OldMemes posted:

I've just finished watching ChipCheezum's LP of MGS 4. I can see why people might not like some bits, and it might be a chore to play at times, but when that game had it's moments, it was amazing. Ocelot and Snake's fist fight is the most :stare: crazy thing.

I love how Ironicus is just baffled by the most Metal Gear moments.

I went back and watched this fight just because you mentioned it and goddamn it is rad. Two old men just beating the poo poo out of each other because its the only thing they have left.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

al-azad posted:

I mentioned earlier that I really want to see this game, and all future stealth games, being more inclusive with their environments. Kojima has teased us in the past with his team's technical prowess but it never really amounted to anything. I remember an interview about MGS2 where enemies could see Snake's shadow but this is only used as comedic effect and never comes up again. If Snake stands in the rain his cardboard box will be destroyed but it only rains in one area. The entirety of Olga's fight was a big technical show off with the blinding light and wind effects these elements never show up again.

This is what the next generation of gaming should be addressing. We probably won't ever see a graphical leap like the PS1 to PS2 so now designers need to focus on the details. Rain should create mud and muddy feet leave prints behind. You can slash a vehicle's tires or sabotage the engine. Enemies should be actively on alert, not "return to your positions" because you rolled into a vent. It's still a game, it should be fun above all else, but I have the most fun when I'm challenged with the unexpected or do things I didn't think I could do. I really want Kojima to double down on the attention to detail he's famous for.

Getting a cold on the Tanker was awesome. Then it never rained again :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Best part of the fight is Ocelot planting a kiss on Snake's cheek.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Getting a cold on the Tanker was awesome. Then it never rained again :(

I'm not positive anymore, but I thought Raiden could get a cold from being naked in Arsenal Gear for too long.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fivegears4reverse posted:

I'm not positive anymore, but I thought Raiden could get a cold from being naked in Arsenal Gear for too long.

He totally does! Man, that game is awesome.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

1stGear posted:

I went back and watched this fight just because you mentioned it and goddamn it is rad. Two old men just beating the poo poo out of each other because its the only thing they have left.

MGS4 will always hold a special place in my heart, and that is probably because it's the first Metal Gear Solid that I ever played. Now try and imagine how confused I was through the entire thing. Anyways, it wasn't the hour long monologues that hooked me into the series. The thing that 4 had was moments. The Act 3 finale, the Raiden/Vamp fight, the Metal Gear showdown, the microwave tunnel, the geezer fisticuffs.. That game was so jam packed with awesome moments, not to mention solid gameplay, that I have a hard time understanding why people hate it so much.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

marauderthirty posted:

MGS4 will always hold a special place in my heart, and that is probably because it's the first Metal Gear Solid that I ever played. Now try and imagine how confused I was through the entire thing. Anyways, it wasn't the hour long monologues that hooked me into the series. The thing that 4 had was moments. The Act 3 finale, the Raiden/Vamp fight, the Metal Gear showdown, the microwave tunnel, the geezer fisticuffs.. That game was so jam packed with awesome moments, not to mention solid gameplay, that I have a hard time understanding why people hate it so much.

I think the problem is the great moments are sandwiched between literal hours of waffling cutscenes that could have got the information across in a quarter of the time.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

marauderthirty posted:

the Raiden/Vamp fight,
That scene was awesome but holy poo poo, was it ever uncomfortable to watch with other people in the same room.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spalec posted:

I think the problem is the great moments are sandwiched between literal hours of waffling cutscenes that could have got the information across in a quarter of the time.

If their presentation was as interesting as MGS3 the time would have flown by. Instead you get hours and hours of talking heads.

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

Blackheart posted:

Oh boy, be sure to play New Vegas afterwards. Fallout 3 is pretty good, if flawed, but with NV you'll be in for a treat!
This is the last I'll mention Fallout because I don't mean to derail, but after choosing to play Fallout as an alternate-timeline Metal Gear, I really found it funny when I was told about the "Operation: Anchorage" expansion. A virtual reality simulation of a mission in Alaska, where there are sword-wielding enemies in stealth camo? Is that so?

...and in the main game I'm just really looking forward to looting the imitation FOXHOUND jacket from Augustus Autumm.

1stGear posted:

I've got a save file set aside just before that fight. For those who've played the whole series, it just hits so many of the right notes. It's incredible that KojiPro were able to pack so much feeling and fun into a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots simulator.

al-azad posted:

The entirety of Olga's fight was a big technical show off with the blinding light and wind effects these elements never show up again.
They show up, though a bit sporadically. You can shoot the lights in the MGS2 Vamp fight to get rid of your shadow and you can shoot the pipes in the fight with The Fury. There really should be more stuff like this.

Celery Face posted:

That scene was awesome but holy poo poo, was it ever uncomfortable to watch with other people in the same room.
The first time I played MGS4 was at my father's house. (He had a PS3 before I did.) We were sitting on the couch together when that fight began. We're both fairly comfortable discussing topics of a sexual nature, but it was still awkward. Vamp really is the male counterpart of the sexually sadistic female warrior character.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

mortalwombat posted:

They show up, though a bit sporadically. You can shoot the lights in the MGS2 Vamp fight to get rid of your shadow and you can shoot the pipes in the fight with The Fury. There really should be more stuff like this.

What's the purpose behind getting rid of your shadow?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Vamp can pin your shadow to the ground with a knife if I recall correctly, which obviously stops you from moving because MAGICAL VAMPIRE POWERS. (and possibly Anime)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Blackheart posted:

Vamp can pin your shadow to the ground with a knife if I recall correctly, which obviously stops you from moving because MAGICAL VAMPIRE POWERS. (and possibly Anime)

What? :psyduck: Having painstakingly done this fight non-lethal on European Extreme I do not remember this at all

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Blackheart posted:

I'm pretty sure it's described in the Codec calls as a form of hypnotism.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

I'm pretty sure it's described in the Codec calls as a form of hypnotism.

Man, I love MGS2.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

What? :psyduck: Having painstakingly done this fight non-lethal on European Extreme I do not remember this at all
Vamp only does it when he's low on health so maybe you beat him really fast.

Edit: Oh, there's something funny about fighting him in the fourth game. When you're low on health and lying on the ground, he'll lick his knife and shove it into you. Unless you move at the last minute, then in that case, he'll get it stuck in the ground. :haw:

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 30, 2013

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

You can see it around the 3:00 minute mark of this video.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
If anyone's doubtful of the "see through walls tagging" in a stealth game, play Far Cry 3. It's more action-orientated than Metal Gear, but it does do decent stealth (especially for an open world game) and has an almost identical mechanic that Kojima must have seen demoed.

The tagging is really fun for planning out camp assualts - basically missions where you go into an enemy stronghold, and if you manage to take it over (killing everyone) you can decrease the enemy presence in the area. The game offers you three tiers of rewards for this: the best for if you ghost it, mid-tier for if you do it while being spotted but without an alarm going off, and lower still if you just go in and loudly kill everyone while alarms blare.

Now I'd expect MGSV to have much more in the way of stealth options than FC3, but it did show how the chaoticness of the open world can really add to a stealth game in that there are a very large amount of ways things can go off-plan and go south quickly, forcing the player to adapt to the AI and scenario around them.

Seeing your carefully laid plans fall apart as you miss a crucial shot and the enemy radios in helicopter gunners for back up is heart pounding. On the other hand, seeing a tiger run out of the nearby woods - attracted by the bait you laid - to start mauling your enemies to death while you lurk in the shadows without having to fire a single shot is insanely satisfying.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

mortalwombat posted:

I'm happy to see that Snake is actually shown carrying the weapons in his inventory. When he picks up the enemy sniper rifle, it's slung on his back while the assault rife hangs to the side. Bottomless pockets bother me a bit.

They had this feature planned (or they at least experimented with it) in MGS2. But with the amount of weapons Snake could carry, I guess they decided it looked too goofy:

Reive
May 21, 2009

So uh, anyone like the ps2 MGO? Because it's back!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2t3rcM-Et0
https://savemgo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=455

Basically fans have made their own private MGO server that will be accessible just by having the disc and using a cheat device (gameshark, code breaker, action replay) to input a code that'll redirect the game to their server, or play it emulated in PCSX2.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Reive posted:

So uh, anyone like the ps2 MGO? Because it's back!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2t3rcM-Et0
https://savemgo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=455

Basically fans have made their own private MGO server that will be accessible just by having the disc and using a cheat device (gameshark, code breaker, action replay) to input a code that'll redirect the game to their server, or play it emulated in PCSX2.
That is awesome. I wish they could do this with MGS4's MGO too.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Who knows? The PS3 is still current gen, and MGO1 came out, what? 2005? Eight years ago. Give it about another decade, give or take, and they may figure out how to do this with MGO2.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Man I dunno, if Cell was such a pain in the rear end for devs think about the emulation scene :ohdear:

I'm not saying they can't do it, but it just seems like a pain in the rear end.

trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.

mortalwombat posted:

My thoughts exactly. What is known about this bizarre clip? I got the feeling that it was something akin to the fake TV adverts at the start of MGS4. I can't find any video of it. Is it entirely unrelated?

I'm pretty sure that One-Play thing was just something to do with TGS itself. I remember seeing it before some of the other games' trailers, too.

An article came out yesterday about how there's a rumoured leaked release date on January 4th, 2014. But it's The Examiner so it's probably complete bullshit next to their "Hayter's totally in the game, guys!" and "MGS1 FOX Engine remake is happening" articles.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AASman posted:

What about the Silent Hill games? I'm talking the original ones made by Team Silent, not the lovely recent ones. People complain about the acting in those games, but I thought the actors were intentionally directed to sound kind of dazed and dreary, to give the game a surreal dreamy feel. And I heard they hired non-actors to make the performances sound like real people(don't have source for that though). If you're a snob, I guess you could complain about the acting, and how they aren't the best actors, but I thought the performances were a perfect fit for that world and wouldn't have it any other way. Especially Guy Cihi in Silent Hill 2.

It's true, Silent Hill 1 and 2 were both very deliberate cases of "pretend you're in Twin Peaks" and "pretend you're in Lost Highway." SH2 especially they had the actors play it as awkwardly as possible and also did some interesting things like having Angela be voiced/motion captured by a woman much older than the character is in the game to make the character more convincingly weary. Part of the reason many were unhappy with the re-voiced dialogue in the HD releases is because the new performances are too blatantly serious, weighted with self importance that comes from having been with the series for so long and knowing what comes next at all times.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

nosebro posted:

I'm pretty sure that One-Play thing was just something to do with TGS itself. I remember seeing it before some of the other games' trailers, too.

An article came out yesterday about how there's a rumoured leaked release date on January 4th, 2014. But it's The Examiner so it's probably complete bullshit next to their "Hayter's totally in the game, guys!" and "MGS1 FOX Engine remake is happening" articles.

Seems rather silly to release a game this huge immediately after the big holiday season.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Seems rather silly to release a game this huge immediately after the big holiday season.

It's not the franchise it once was sales wise. MGS1/2/3 all first came out right in that October/November sweet spot but even Konami isn't dumb enough to release any game against PS4+XBox One+CoD Ghosts+Assassin's Creed IV. MGS4 and Rising came out in June and February respectively and both sold well enough so I don't see why they would risk that.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

nosebro posted:

Instead of seeing ANOTHER MGS 1 remake, why the gently caress can't they just do Metal Gear 1 and 2?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I feel like MG1 and 2 remakes are inevitable, the games are referenced constantly but because of how aged they are very few people have the patience to play through them. The whole Snake VS Big Boss at Outer Heaven is arguably one of the most important events in the series but the only way people experience it now is hearsay and summaries. All that, and we've been getting closer and closer to those games in the timeline with each game starring Big Boss.

If they were to remake any of the Solid games, I'd want them to do 2. A lot of stuff was cut because of time constraints, so it'd be cool to get an extended, directors cut remake or something.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 2, 2013

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I've been hoping for MG 1 and 2 remakes for years, ever since Twin Snakes came out. I agree though with MGS 2 Directors Cut, that is in my opinion the weakest of the series for reasons you mentioned. That, and Raiden.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Skoll posted:

I've been hoping for MG 1 and 2 remakes for years, ever since Twin Snakes came out. I agree though with MGS 2 Directors Cut, that is in my opinion the weakest of the series for reasons you mentioned. That, and Raiden.

You really can't take the Raiden out of MGS2, like it or not.

They could have a playable Pliskin or extended Tanker though (as part of the story I mean not optional stuff in Substance.) That would certainly be nice, heck it feels like something they intended to do at one point, what with a boss fight between him and Mr X / Olga happening off screen that was casual mentioned once.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They already remade MG2. It was called Metal Gear Solid. Well, from a story point of view it's obvious not but from a gameplay point of view, that's exactly what it is. . Really similar encounters, bosses, room layouts, game mechanics, etc.

nosebro posted:

Their source is a retailer. Retailers literally make up release dates out of nothing in order to make people more willing to pre-order games. Retailer are the least reliable source imaginable.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 2, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They already remade MG2. It was called Metal Gear Solid. Well, from a story point of view it's obvious not but from a gameplay point of view, that's exactly what it is. . Really similar encounters, bosses, room layouts, game mechanics, etc.

But don't you want to see 1080p Black Color from NASA special forces or the rooms full of hundreds of dummy soldiers? Full 3D 60FPS dude changing shifts because he thinks he might have heard an owl so it must be night time even though it's board daylight?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

You can bet your rear end that poison hamsters wouldn't carry over, only to be met with a rather large collective sigh of disappointment.

EDIT: Unless we're talking premium Kojima World Order, of course.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 2, 2013

trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.
I want a FOX Engine remake of Snake Tales. Lovingly detailed Gurlugon stomping around right before Solidus whisks away his blushing bride, Mei Ling.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Their source is a retailer. Retailers literally make up release dates out of nothing in order to make people more willing to pre-order games. Retailer are the least reliable source imaginable.
Good. That gives more time to implement those horse grooming minigames and Ocelot bullying physics that I expect/demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

nosebro posted:

Good. That gives more time to implement those horse grooming minigames and Ocelot bullying physics that I expect/demand.

Speaking of which, I hope it has tons of VR Missions with music as good as the MGS1 VR Missions. :)

Did they announce yet who's doing the actual music music for MGS5 yet? I like the ambient and slower in-game stuff more than the overblown orchestral music in the series overall it would be great if some of that comes back. I mean I like the bombastic stuff too but I feel like the conspiracy laden mix of western and eastern "stuff" in the games brings out the best in any composer doing the in-game stuff. The music in the Metal Gear franchise does such a great job of making you feel awesome whenever you're doing anything. I loved that they even had that low distortion track for just when you're crawling around in the vents in MGS1. Little changes in the music like that are a huge part of why the games have such a strong atmosphere.

Oh man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihx2I5D0zgU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkkDEtaeGsc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVS_IhkOj50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEtN4GizqEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhjTVbzhKM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9AAArXGB28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySFK9vZGH2Q :3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYKjNOcjDXY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YQm2M-v4l0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqlun_tLUE

Man Metal Gear music is so awesome. I'm always impressed that it's been consistently good throughout its history because of how convoluted some of the releases have been. Like Metal Gear on the NES and MSX have some very different tracks but both are great. Snake's Revenge was pretty rushed and done by one of Konami's lesser known composers but is one of the better NES soundtracks in general. Twin Snakes also is interesting because Silicon Knights' regular composer, Steve Henefin did unique boss tracks for Cyborg Ninja/etc. while other composers at Konami remixed songs from the cutscenes into original tracks for other bosses and areas but it's all really good and cohesive.

• Locked thread