Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Why didn't she tag R'andayn at the same time to kill a meddling Jedi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
For that matter, the Republic has a prison planet full of "undesirables" (read: Aliens) they could've used to test their "kill anyone at any time" laser. Instead, they chose to do it in an active warzone on a neutral planet where the only thing the weapon can do is ruin the Republic's reputation with every other neutral planet in the galaxy.

VVV There're a ton of dangerous wild animals on Belsavis they could fire space lasers at in relative secrecy; and the Republic is supporting one of the rebel factions on Alderaan so they are the "valid enemy combatants." House Ulgo may be usurpers, but currently they are the legitimate government. VVV

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 28, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

For that matter, the Republic has a prison planet full of "undesirables" (read: Aliens) they could've used to test their "kill anyone at any time" laser. Instead, they chose to do it in an active warzone on a neutral planet where the only thing the weapon can do is ruin the Republic's reputation with every other neutral planet in the galaxy.

But why would they test it on prisoners? After all, they don't kill people on Belsavis. Whereas rebels against the peaceful and legitimate government of Alderaan are valid enemy combatants.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

ThirdPartyView posted:

Why didn't she tag R'andayn at the same time to kill a meddling Jedi?

Also, why can't they just destroy the weapon orbiting the planet.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Automatic Slim posted:

Also, why can't they just destroy the weapon orbiting the planet.

Because the laser is untraceable and you can't tell where it came from because :techno:.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, like most tech in star wars and the Jedi Knight's superweapon hunt in particular, the death mark only makes sense as a contrived narrative concept. Kind of sounds like a worse version of Jadus's Eradicators.

As for putting it on Alderaan, my guess is that's the sort of place you'd want to use it to make an example of enemy aristocrats. Being able to prune the family tree of the nobility down to who you want to be in charge would be incredibly useful - but having an assassination satellite for murdering whoever the Republic wants would be some real bad press, hence why they didn't use it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Death... Mark.

How many "I heard a noise like a single voice crying out" jokes do you have to fight back when you're doing that chain?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Ferrosol posted:

Because the laser is untraceable and you can't tell where it came from because :techno:.

Glazius posted:

The Death... Mark.

How many "I heard a noise like a single voice crying out" jokes do you have to fight back when you're doing that chain?
The reason it can't be found is because everyone thinks it's just a small moon. :tinfoil:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Guys! I think I've figured out what Darth WMD's plan is!

Spoilers just in case I'm right
With the Planet Prison, he can lock away the entire population of a planet. With the Shock Drum, he can hold the planet hostage and prevent anyone from launching a rescue! Then, with the Death Mark, he can go hunting whenever he wants on his own private game reserve! Then he can sell the right to hunt to anyone he wants feed on the fear of an entire planet and become unstoppable!

I really hope Darth WMD's plan isn't that stupid.

Albis09
Apr 30, 2013

Dead yeti-gain

PoptartsNinja posted:

Guys! I think I've figured out what Darth WMD's plan is!

Spoilers just in case I'm right
With the Planet Prison, he can lock away the entire population of a planet. With the Shock Drum, he can hold the planet hostage and prevent anyone from launching a rescue! Then, with the Death Mark, he can go hunting whenever he wants on his own private game reserve! Then he can sell the right to hunt to anyone he wants feed on the fear of an entire planet and become unstoppable!

I really hope Darth WMD's plan isn't that stupid.

You are really expecting him to have a better plan then this?
It's even more stupid (at least I think it's stupid :colbert:) and the Jedi Knight even stupider after what happens

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Glazius posted:

The Death... Mark.

Too many... Which is why I channelled my rage into bad references to the Batman and Robin movie.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Ferrosol posted:

Too many... Which is why I channelled my rage into bad references to the Batman and Robin movie.

You should really just .... Chill.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #054
Stardate: Striking while the iron is hot

Damnit, damnit, damnit, damnit!

Just… goddamnit, you know?

Okay, deep breath. Remember what the therapist said, count to ten. One, two…

Let’s start where I left off.

So I’m carting a severed head in a jar for Risha over to House Alde. They’re in contested territory, which makes getting there a bit of a trek.

I don’t know which side Alde’s on, but they seemed pretty twitchy when we visited. Seems like the Count had just bought it and that’d sent the nobles into panic mode. I was lucky the guards even let me in.

The head was bound for the museum. My contact was the curator, a Peema Ahuff, who apparently couldn’t care less about his boss getting whacked in the civil war. Historians aren’t that big on current events, I guess. Guess how long it takes for the deal to go bad.

Recommended for going head to head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7nOdPkaj10

quote:

Peema Ahuff: Scoot along and don’t be a bother. Otherwise, you’ll answer to security.

Quinine: Do you want this head in a jar or not?

Peema Ahuff: I most certainly do not! Get that disgusting thing out of my sight!

By this point I don’t actually know what they want the head for, or how Risha got it. And if it was a fake I’m not sure I’d want to know, either. Point is, a bit tough for me to vouch for.

quote:

Peema Ahuff: House Alde has already obtained the head of Darth Bandon, thank you very much. It was genetically authenticated by one of my conservators yesterday.

Quinine: Maybe this Darth Bandon had two heads?

Peema Ahuff: Don’t be ridiculous. Yours is obviously a forgery.

Peema Ahuff: Kaddreth? Kaddreth, come here!

Now here’s a guy whose tone screams “Come the revolution, I’m putting you up against the wall personally”.

quote:

Peema Ahuff: Where is Neva? I want her to run the genetic authenticator on this head and prove it’s a fake.

Kaddreth: I haven’t seen Neva since she authenticated the other head yesterday, Noble Curator. I sent a message to her holo, but she never replied.

Quinine: I need you to test this head for me, Kaddreth.

Kaddreth: I’d really rather not. It’s quite ugly.

Can’t argue with that. This Banadon guy definitely didn’t rise to Darth on his looks.

quote:

Kaddreth: I beg your patience, Noble Curator. This process will take some time…

The wait was more than a bit awkward, with Peema glaring at us the whole time. I mean, it’s not like I knew the head was legit or not. Of course, I also started wondering who else might’ve tried beating us to the punch – and I didn’t like the answer I came up with.

quote:

Kaddreth: I retested the head Neva verified yesterday, and it does not appear anywhere in the genetic authenticator’s database.

Quinine: Tell me who delivered that fake head.

Peema Ahuff: The same man who promised he could obtain it…

It’s no fun being right when your only reward is seeing Skavak’s ugly face again. I’d take ten Banadons over his tattooed mug.

quote:

Peema Ahuff: I demand that you return the Arkanian Hyperdrive at once. The head you bought it with is a counterfeit.

quote:

Quinine: I’m coming to get you, Skavak.

Skavak: Just give me a few minutes to clean up – I wasn’t expecting company.

Skavak: Hope you don’t mind, Peemie, but Neva’s taken an early retirement. She’s too gorgeous for life in a museum.

Peema Ahuff: What? You… you… menace! You corrupted that girl!

Skavak: It wasn’t that hard, trust me.

How does the guy keep roping girls into his harebrained schemes? He’s an ugly, slimy scumbag! I’ve met womp-rats with more charm.

quote:

Skavak: You still got that giant vibrosword? What are you trying to compensate for, kid?

Okay, if there’s one thing Skavak and I can agree on, it’s probably that nobody cares about your drat blaster, Corso.

quote:

Skavak: Sorry, Corso, but that’s a grownup weapon. You’d just put out your eye.

Skavak: Oh, I wish I had a holo of your face right now, Captain. That expression is just priceless. Have fun eating my vapor trails…

Peema Ahuff: This is unthinkable! Skavak has committed a grievous affront to House Alde!

Much as I want to kill Skavak, I was holding out hope I could still finish the deal with the Aldes even with his meddling. Like always, though, that’d be too simple.

quote:

Peema Ahuff: The hyperdrive was to be your payment. It’s an extraordinary apparatus, custom-built by one of Arkania’s most brilliant engineers.

Peema Ahuff: Skavak received the Arkanian hyperdrive at the spaceport yesterday. If he’s still there, he must not have finished installing it.

Like we need another reason.

Me and Corso headed full-tilt to the spaceport. The problem was, we were still out in the middle of the Alderaanian wilderness, and my – uh, ‘vintage’ speeder, wasn’t going to get us back in time.

Nice of the Aldes to leave some souped-up speeders lying around for us to borrow then, wasn’t it?

So close, so drat close. Closer than I’ve been since Coruscant, but unfortunately the bastard had a ray-shield up. And before we could close the gap and stick a boot in his smug face…

Blast door.

Skavak left a couple hired goons guarding the hangar control room, and me and Corso left them in pieces.

We hit the controls to open the blast door, but I could already see his ship’s thrusters powering up.

Too slow.

Too drat slow!

Before I could start swearing, though, we heard a comm ringer. Seems Skavak left us a holo.

And a squad of mercs.

Recommended for another run-in with everyone's favorite jerk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk-sezQ-xiE

quote:

Corso: How does he always manage to get away?

Skavak: Sorry I can’t be there in person, but my sweet, little Neva is very sensitive to violence.

Corso: Don’t worry though, my friends here will show you a good time.

Quinine: This is a preview of what I’m going to do to you, Skavak.

That’s a lie – Skavak’s men died quick.

The sarge and his men were clear ex-military, whose I don’t know. Killing us was probably just another job to them.

Unfortunately for them, I was pissed, and the only outlet available was Dutonian’s squad.

Where does Skavak keep finding these idiots? I know the man’s a con artist, but I must’ve put down an army of hired guns – it’s almost as crazy as the women who keep falling for him. If he wasn’t such a scumbag, he’d be one of the best smugglers in the business.

Skavak didn’t seem too happy about being down a few more goons. I guess nobody’s getting what they want today.

Recommended for planning a reprisal raid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdOBQn6EXPg

quote:

Quinine: At least send me a copy of that holo, first.

Skavak: What, for your scrapbook?

Who told you about my scrapbook, Skavak?

quote:

Skavak: Hate to cut things short, but I’ve got a swanky new hyperdrive to install. Love that Arkanian tech.

Skavak: Take good care of the rest of my stuff, Captain. I’ll be coming for it soon.

I guess the fight took longer than I expected, because Risha came running from our hangar bay. We were probably lucky it was only her, and not an Organa security team demanding to know what just went down.

quote:

Risha: The good news is, I tracked Skavak’s ship to House Thul’s spaceport.

Risha: He must have gone there to finish installing that hyperdrive. There’s still time to get him.

Quinine: I’ll fly us to that other spaceport in no time.

Of course not, when’s it ever been that simple?

quote:

Risha: The Empire controls House Thul. Skavak has landing clearance from the Imperials, but you’ll have to sneak in on foot.

Risha: Luckily, someone here owes me a big favor. I’ve arranged a meeting to sneak you inside the spaceport and get the hyperdrive.

Was that genuine concern I heard there? Maybe the ice is starting to thaw.

quote:

Risha: My contact is at these coordinates. Oh, and there may be a way we can profit from this whole debacle.

Risha: House Alde still wants the head. That pompous gasbag Peema Ahuff will probably pay anything to get it.

quote:

Risha: Add a couple of matching throw-pillows – could be nice.

Well… that’s a silver lining, I guess. I figured Risha might’ve been mad I lost the hyperdrive. Then again, she’s sending me into Imperial territory to get it back – not exactly the safest life choice. Still, she’s expecting me to make it back alive, and when have I ever disappointed a lady?

Don’t answer that.

Okay, I’ve counted to ten. Time to kill Skavak.

##End Log##

Dolash fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 30, 2013

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

They really, really did a good job on making you hate that loving gently caress. :argh:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Catsworth posted:

They really, really did a good job on making you hate that loving gently caress. :argh:

Yeah, the writing isn't always the best in this game, but drat if you don't really feel the rivalry with the Smuggler and Bounty Hunter characters. Dick move after dick move.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Is that the same Darth Bandon who was the loser throwaway apprentice of Malak in Kotor 1?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The very same! If you squint, it even kind of looks like him (Well, it's a bald head, close enough).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dolash posted:

The very same! If you squint, it even kind of looks like him (Well, it's a bald head, close enough).

The reason they want it is because, apparently, the house was associated with the first companion you had in KOTOR.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 30, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josef bugman posted:

The reason they want it is because, apparently, the house was associated with the first companion you had in KOTOR.

Yeah. I forget where, but it's brought up at some point that Alderaan turned Trask Ulgo, the throwaway tutorial companion in KOTOR, into a celebrated war hero.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hey, he got to stare at Revan in his space-underwear, that's heroic. Right? Right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How is anyone still trusting Skavak with anything? How many betrayals does it take before you go on the galactic blacklist? Or is that not really a thing?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Glazius posted:

How is anyone still trusting Skavak with anything? How many betrayals does it take before you go on the galactic blacklist? Or is that not really a thing?

I assume he has a habit of leaving most people he betrays dead (present company excepted thankfully). As for the rest of the time, I guess if it was that easy in the Star Wars universe to track down and tie people to their crimes, bounty hunters wouldn't be so popular.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Trask Ulgo saved your life. True hero 'till the end. :colbert:

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CHAPTER 41: PEACE IN OUR TIME

Previously posted:

The unhinged Jedi Master SIDONIE GAREN has sequestered representatives of the GREAT HOUSES of ALDERAAN at an undisclosed location for a “peace conference”. JOLUNE MOL'NEUX, having allied with HOUSE TERAL, has uncovered the location of the conference and hurries to get there before a war starts. Or stops. Or something...

: This is the place the coordinates pointed to. I guess we use the data spike to unlock the shuttle to the peace conference?

: I'd have preferred the Sendoth Hotel and Spa, but whatever.

A SHORT FLIGHT LATER...

: Sendoth Ruins... Wait, Sendoth? Send off? Really, Master Sidonie?

: I have Master Sidonie's permission. Well, I don't actually. But you're going to think I do. Oh, and forget I said that.

: Master Sidonie's permission. Oh yes, we're sorry. Of course. Go on.

: Phew... I was worried I was losing my touch after Vox.

: Vox... who?

: The verbose mercenary, remember? …Are you alright?

: Cold. Make... slow.

: Sorry, Qyzen. I should have thought of that before dragging you up a mountain.

: Is ok... Let you do peace... talk.

WHO'S WHO AT THE PEACE CONFERENCE

Yes, it's the most exclusive event on the Alderaanian social calendar! All of high society is here, on an isolated mountain top in a thematically appropriate ruin, to argue with each other and eventually get murdered by a psychotic Jedi. For those of you in the audience who haven't been paying attention to the nuances of Alderaan politics, here's a quick primer as to who everybody represents.

: House Thul, the Empire's puppets on Alderaan.
: House Organa, the Republic's puppets allies on Alderaan.
: House Ulgo, the House of the usurper King. Everyone hates them.
: House Rist, the Alderaan assassin's guild. Everyone hates them too.
: House Alde, the oldest House (the planet's named after these guys). Everyone in the Empire has robbed their library at some point.
: House Baliss, the Switzerland of Houses. They've been having problems with a certain roguish ne'er-do-well lately.
: House Cortess, who enjoy a close working relationship with Imperial Intelligence.
: House Teral, who have recently fallen on hard ti- oh, wait.

On with the show!

[VIDEO: Peace out, y'all]

: House Thul is the reason the Panteer heir was assassinated. And House Ulgo is merely a puppet of House Rist.

: Say “Lies! All lies!”

: Lies! All lies! ...wait.

: There are holographic recordings, documents! You can't argue with hard evidence!

: Master Sidonie, what have you done?

: You wouldn't understand. I do this for the good of the galaxy.

: Master Sidonie, you have a sickness that's altering your mind.

: I have suppressed my illness. Overcome it through reason. I am thinking as I always have-- in strategy, in variables and outcomes.

: I'm sorry, Master Sidonie, but I can't let that happen.

: You are too late. All the pieces are already in place.

MEANWHILE...

: House Rist takes exception to that characterization-- murderer.

: That was thirty years ago! Also, you're an assassin! Come on!

: We had an alliance!

: House Organa has heard enough. It's clear to us that there can be no other course, but war.

You have the option here to mind trick all the delegates simultaneously into making peace. It's kind of awesome, but also fairly creepy, so we'll try using our words instead.

: No. House Organa doesn't take kindly to being stabbed in the back.

: Look who's high and mighty. We were kicked off Alderaan because you framed us!

: Yes, and then you murdered the heir to the throne.

: We didn't murder anyone. Rist did.

: Yes, Rist put that usurper on the throne, but you ordered the hit.

: And we'll kill anyone who says otherwise!

: How can you judge each other when you've all committed the same crimes?

: Easy for you to say, Jedi. You don't have any stake in any of this.

: These accusations go back thirty years! Thirty years of betrayal and treachery! We're the worst generation ever!

: Thirty more if you go to war. Don't you want to leave your children something better?

: I mean... War, what is it good for?

: Boo!

: Oh come on, someone had to say it.

: Master Sidonie?

: Listen to her-- she wants war!?

: Fight the illness, Master Sidonie. Come back to the light.

: Jedi, if you will not agree to be silent, then I will silence you myself!

*WHUMP*

: …?

Mirror match! Master Garen is a Jedi Sage, like Jolune and uses most of the same abilities.

Her FORCEQUAAAKE! is pretty puny though. Like Jolune, Master Garen doesn't really have any powerful attacks, but she has some irritatingly strong healing powers which can cause this fight to drag out. Your stuns and knockbacks come in handy here- nearly all of Master Garen's attacks require charging or channeling time, which means you can neutralize her by clever use of abilities that interrupt her skills.

BONUS QUIZ TIME: There are seven House representatives at the Conference (not including Jolune), but only six banners. Which House's banner is missing?

Eventually Master Garen falls.

[VIDEO: The Last Master]

: I'm sorry, Parkanas. I failed you. I tried to keep the darkness from coming, but I failed.

: You're not the first person to mention Parkanas. Let me guess, you're responsible for his death as well?

: It's my fault Parkanas died. Malachor Three. I miscalculated! He had to be left behind. He died because of me!

: Do you know who Lord Vivicar is? Or where he is?

: I don't know. I can't see into his head, but he can see into mine. Please, Jedi. You have to free me. You have to kill me.

As previous, there's a kill or cure decision here.

: ...

: Will you be alright? What did you do?

: ...It's a shielding ritual-- it should keep Lord Vivicar's voice out of your head for a while.

: Thank you, Jedi. I only hope the sacrifice wasn't too great. For a while I thought I was able to block Lord Vivicar's voice from my mind. If you hadn't been there with your calm sense, I don't know what would've happened.

: You are most understanding, Jedi. I will contact the Jedi Council-- I'm sure they'll want a full explanation.

: Indeed-- but I have to say, Jedi, I'm at a loss as to how to proceed from here.

: Let there be a truce, and let the summit reconvene at a later date to work on a formal peace agreement.

: The summit will reconvene at a later date to discuss the details of a peace agreement.

Despite his words matching Jolune's, this isn't a mind trick. He just repeats what you said for some reason.

That was the light side end to the quest. You can push the Houses into turning on Ulgo, as Lord Teral wanted, which is dark side and doesn't do much for the peace but is quite satisfying. You also get the third option of telling them all that you've done what you came here for, and so now they can sort out their own problems, which is even more satisfying but gets you neither dark nor light side points.

The quest also exemplifies the problems of driving plot into MMORPGs. In a single player game this would be the last scene on Alderaan- Peace between the Houses! War is over! All is well! -but in MMO land Alderaan will always be at war. Subsequent quests on this planet have the Houses fighting against each other as usual; not to mention all the other class questlines. Makes it all feel a bit pointless really.

BACK AT THE SPACEPORT...

: I'm glad that's dealt with. If there can be peace on Alderaan, then there's hope for the rest of the galaxy.

: Perhaps.

: How are you doing now we're back at sea level?

: Warmer. Better. ...You?

: I'm ...the same, really. Anyway, Master Sidonie was the last infected Master. It should be over now, right?

*mip mip* *mip mip*

: Hopefully the houses will continue to put aside their differences.

: We all have you and Master Sidonie to thank. My only regret is that there's no talk of removing House Ulgo's noble status and lands once the war's over.

: I didn't want to risk undoing the peace by inciting another conflict.

: That was probably the wisest course. But I just can't feel safe as long as Ulgo commands an army.

: You're most welcome.

: You've done House Teral an invaluable service. I hope you will come visit us again.

: Bye Lord Teral!

: Welcome home, Master. The ship is just how you left it, except for the...

: What is that smell?

: OSH3 mostly. Good to see you're still alive, by the way.

: The pungent aroma is the result of Master Cedrax's chemical experimentation on his mysterious letter. Times like this make me appreciate the fact that I lack a nose.

: If you don't have a nose, then how do you know the ship stinks?

: F1-X1 told me.

: whistle

: Why would an astromech have a sense of smell?

: beep

: He used to be a sommelier.

: But... He... What? Oh, forget it.

: She reports that you were able to prevent war from breaking out on Alderaan however. You've once again done very good work in a tense situation, Jedi.

: I did my best, given the situation.

: The Council has come to expect nothing less of you. Tell me, did you learn anything new about the plaguemaster, Lord Vivicar?

: Master Sidonie mentioned him, but she had no information.

: I see. Master Sidonie was the last of the lost Masters, and yet Vivicar still eludes us.

NEXT TIME: Jolune explains it all.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Jedi Diplomacy posted:

Galactic diplomacy and the Jedi Order have been intertwined for thousands of years. Renowned for their sense of justice and wide cultural awareness, Jedi negotiators are in high demand. Sometimes a Jedi will represent the interests of the Republic or the Jedi Order, but Jedi often act as a neutral third party between two factions; an outsider who can be trusted to arbitrate disputes fairly. The talents of the Jedi and their adherence to the Jedi Code make them well suited to diplomatic endeavors. Jedi are trained in galactic law and history, often understand obscure languages and customs, and are famed for their devotion to peace. In addition, anyone trying to bribe or lie to a Jedi diplomat will be met with polite amusement at best–and at worst, heavy sanctions and criminal charges from the Republic.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 14, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I really liked that House summit scene. It's neat that there's some continuity about the number of noble houses and their activities.

And goodness, but Jolune's spreading herself thin. After all the talk about the healing ritual taking the strength out of the healer, though, it might've been nice to see some consequences of that by now. Maybe that's coming up. I am reminded of the part near the end of KOTOR 2 where you've either reunited or murdered the Jedi masters, and the meeting you have after that. Probably won't be anything that drastic, though.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Dolash posted:

I really liked that House summit scene. It's neat that there's some continuity about the number of noble houses and their activities.

And goodness, but Jolune's spreading herself thin. After all the talk about the healing ritual taking the strength out of the healer, though, it might've been nice to see some consequences of that by now. Maybe that's coming up. I am reminded of the part near the end of KOTOR 2 where you've either reunited or murdered the Jedi masters, and the meeting you have after that. Probably won't be anything that drastic, though.

Personally I'm now curious (having started a DS Counselor as opposed to LS Jolune) what happens if you just keep killing off the masters. Wonder if you somehow wind up "weakened" anyway to keep the story train going. I admittedly went Dark Side primarily to mess up the traditional Jedi=Good story, like playing a kazoo loudly during an classical music concert; I just HAVE to see if the endgame is them thanking my hilariously evil (complete with visible Dark Side corruption enabled) Counselor for bringing peace to the galaxy or something.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Trask Ulgo saved your life. True hero 'till the end. :colbert:

Interestingly enough, the Darth Bandon guy whose head Quinine delivered was the one who killed him too, which explains why they wanted said head I suppose.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Given how much of an utter joke Bandon was when I beat his face in on Korriban or wherever I maintain Revan could've taken him at level 2 on the Endar Spire. I mean I completely obliterated Bendak Starkiller at 2. Plot railroading! :arghfist::reject:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why am I beginning to suspect that Parkanas didn't really die on Melchior 3?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Glazius posted:

Because you are an intelligent human being who realizes this premise has been done before?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CHAPTER 42: RETURN TO SENDER

Previously posted:

Victory? The JEDI MASTERS infected by the DARK PLAGUE have all been cured, but the location of LORD VIVICAR, the mysterious PLAGUE MASTER PLAGUE LORD remains unknown. JOLUNE MOL'NEUX returns to TYTHON to seek the advice of the JEDI COUNCIL...

: We're on our way. Tython... it's been a while.

: Jedi! We need to talk! It's about science!

[VIDEO: Smokey]

: I thought applying it to the letter was the answer. But when I tried, it completely dissolved. We are left only with vapors.

: An awful lot of vapors. We've vented the atmosphere twice and the ship still smells like an outflow pipe.

: And I am genuinely slightly apologetic about that. It was all for naught anyway.

: There must be something else you can try.

: That chemical is the answer, I know it! But without another lead... Wait!

: Is there anything I can do to help?

: Your generosity does you credit, but I have everything under control.

: I hope so. We don't have enough oxygen left to vent the atmosphere again.

:science: HAPPENS...

: Converting the chemical to a gas was the ticket. We managed to fill the capsule. And not the ship.

: And all these words started glowing on the inside. We found the real message! Isn't that super!

: You must be very proud of yourselves.

: It gets better.

(Note: For those of you who don't watch the videos, Tharan's VA for this next bit is pure, weaponized :smug:)

: The Lumenatus Club only accepts the best. The pioneers in their field. All these years in obscurity, and my genius has finally been recognized!

: This all seems rather extravagant for a simple invitation. Even if it is to the Space Illuminati.

: A test, obviously. The Lumenatus Club's final exam, as it were. This means I can enter the Club's annual symposium-- my creations against those of my fellow scientists.

: Ooh! Make a potato clock! Everyone loves them!

: ...

: Sounds like you got something in mind.

: I think universal adoration and the symposium's grand prize are worth pursuing, don't you?

: Like a potato clock!

: No.

: Lemon clock?

: :frogout:

LATER...

: …but I thought Master Timmns was off on some secret mission somewhere? Are you sure it was him?

: I dunno. It's probably nothing. Anyway, what were you up to on Tatooine?

: Eh, hunting ancient relics of improbable evil. You know, the usual.

: How did it go?

: It went...

: ...poorly. All worked out in the end though, thanks to a local smuggler.

: This smuggler... wouldn't happen to have big sideburns? A moustache? Scars on one side of his face? Terrible pick-up lines?

: That's him! You know him?

: Kind of? …You must've been the blonde Jedi he was talking about. What happened between you two?

: Aw, he was really trying, but I had to let him down gently..

: ...You know, the old beep-boop-what-are-emotions routine.

: Funny, that's not the way Quinine described it. His version had a lot more... um... passion.

: ...What?

: Ah... Well... Oh! We're coming up on Tython! Got to go! Speak to you later, Nariel!

: Wai-! *bzzt*

[VIDEO: The Truth]

: Welcome home.

: I wish we could greet you with better news.

: Despite using every avenue available to us, we're no closer to finding Lord Vivicar.

: Actually, I believe we are. A common thread binds all the plague victims: the loss of Parkanas Tark at Malachor Three. Vivicar's influence forced the sick Masters to relive their failures on Malachor. This is revenge, personal revenge.

Isn't it nice when characters are smart and figure things out? This is all cutscene btw, there's no dialogue options.

I twigged that Parkanas and Vivicar were probably the same back on Tatooine, but I'm normally pretty slow on the uptake for these things. I'd be interested to know at what stage you guys figured this out, or if it came as a surprise.

: Yuon? I told those Padawans to keep an eye on you. You must rest!

: No. My pupil-- my fellow Jedi-- deserves to hear the truth about Malachor.

: You're ill, Master Yuon. Don't speak more than you have to. Honestly, I don't think we need more exposition at this stage.

: Malachor Three isn't just strong in the dark side; the planet is the resting place of the Sith Lord Terrak Morrhage. Our work on Malachor woke Morrhage's spirit and, one by one, we fell under his power. The things we did... still haunt me.

: Somehow you got free of Morrhage's power.

: Yes. Together, we managed to break his control, but at a terrible cost.

: But it seems he survived and has taken Morrhage's dark path.

: You couldn't have predicted this. Unless you were aware of the laws of narrative causality.

: I must make amends. I have a plan to help you find Vivicar.

: No. You're already weak from the plague, Yuon. This could kill you.

: Vivicar won't get the chance. I'll be between him and my Master. Not literally, mind. I mean, Yuon will be doing her ritual thing and I'll sort of be just standing in the same room, but if anything happens then I'll do... something. Maybe use the Force? I guess? Or...

: Stop talking.

: OK!

: It's our best chance to find Vivicar.

: Very well, Yuon. The lizard's testimony swung it. But we will monitor the ritual, and your former Padawan must stay at your side.

: Thank you, Syo.

: And by monitor you mean...?

: We're going to just sit here, and wait for the good news. Or bad news. Good luck!

: This is it, Qyzen. We find Vivicar, the Council sends a strike team, and it's all over.

: Will miss adventuring when done?

: No! No way! Fighting battles every ten paces, travelling for miles just to find a taxi, extortionate vendor prices, everyone expecting you to do their errands for them, the giant bugs that every planet seems to have for some reason... I won't miss this at all.

: Seemed like you were having fun sometimes.

: Well... maybe a little.

[VIDEO: Hotline to Evil]

: I plan to create a connection between us, using your shielding ability. If it is, was, Parkanas, this should work. Drawing on your strength, I will invert the link between myself and Vivicar, and use it to sense his location.

: So you'll be linked to Vivicar? Shouldn't we tie you up or something? Take away your lightsaber at least?

: Nah. We can't do that because... er... it interferes with the ritual? Yes, that sounds plausible.

: Rrrright. Don't expose yourself to Lord Vivicar's influence longer than necessary.

: I won't. For your sake as well as mine.

: I don't know what will happen then. It's possible I could die once your shield is gone.

: You must resist, Master Yuon. Don't give Vivicar another victory.

: With your strength to sustain me, we will do what we can. No matter what happens, you must give me as much time as possible. Reversing the link may be a long process- let us begin.

TIME PASSES...

: I totally didn't see this coming.

: Jedi. You don't look as strong as you did last time we spoke. Yuon has drained your strength and made herself vulnerable to me. Still arrogant and reckless.

: You were once Parkanas Tark, a brave Jedi. You could be that man again.

: The past means nothing.

: Says the man who's been busy torturing his childhood friends over a decades old grudge.

: Shut up. All that matters is the future. Which. Doesn't. Involve. You. See how Yuon's will crumbles before mine. Fitting, that two of my enemies will destroy each other.

: Here we go again.

: Wasn't Yuon saber just red?

: Not a good time for continuity questions, Qyzen!

Yuon again, and she's a lot stronger this time round. She spams Disturbance constantly, which knocks off about 5% of yours or Qyzen's health a shot. It has a 1.5s charge time, which reduces the dps and lets you interrupt it, still- don't let this fight drag out too long. Yuon will also heal herself, seemingly at random. Once you've reduced her health enough...

[VIDEO: The Last Cure]

: He's surrounded himself with defenses. Send this. It's his code. It will give you... time to get aboard... No-- the darkness... Vivicar's will is too strong. I can't hold on! Please, kill me! End it now!

: There's a better way, Master.

You at last have the option to do an Anakin and kill your Master. Again, there are no negative consequences to shielding people, so beyond “I want to be a dick / max my darkside points” why wouldn't you save her? Morality systems in video games, eh?

Also, Qyzen gets very upset if you kill Yuon. This whole sequence is a good opportunity to get lots of approval points with Qyzen actually, as it has plenty of chances to be nice to Yuon, which Qyzen really appreciates.

: It's the Jedi way. Martyr Complexes R Us.

: I-- I must rest. Please, go to Master Syo and the Council. They should hear of what we've learned.

: Perhaps you should rest too.

: No... It doesn't help. Not anymore. I just want this finished.

: So no strike team?

: Vivicar could seize control of them in seconds. You're the only one immune to his powers.

: Lucky me.

: You've shown great fortitude and saved your Master despite the odds. But Lord Vivicar will have made preparations, and he still has his greatest weapon-- the plague.

: Now that I know who he really is, I could return Vivicar to the light.

: A noble thought, but don't take unnecessary risks. Your shielding ability is our only hope.

AND SO...

: Set a course, Seetoo. It's time.

: ...For what?

: bleeep

: Oh, right. Course laid in.

NEXT TIME: The truth will set you free. Or kill you.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Malachor Three posted:

The world of Malachor Five was host to a Sith academy before its destruction three centuries ago, but the Jedi have long suspected that Sith ruins are scattered on other planets and moons across the Malachor system. Several decades ago, the Jedi Order's six most promising students obtained permission to explore Malachor Three. Their arrival roused the spirit of Terrak Morrhage, a Sith Lord entombed on the planet.

Yuon Par and Duras Fain succumbed to the spirit's influence first, giving in to their suppressed passion for each other. Appalled, Eriz Vossan and Cin Tykan began to suffer terrifying nightmares and paranoia. Slowly the expedition members turned on each other, only coming to their senses when the dark creatures of Malachor Three--stirred by Terrak Morrhage's anger--rose up against them. 

The tactician Sidonie Garen formulated a plan, but an error of judgment sent the expedition into dangerous terrain. The youngest Jedi, Parkanas Tark, was trapped trying to save Eriz Vossan, and was left behind when the others finally escaped. Malachor Three is now forbidden to explorers; the expedition members have not spoken in many years.

Lord Vivicar posted:

The Jedi mission to explore Malachor Three proved fateful for all those involved. Besieged by the dark spirit of the Sith Lord interred there, most of the expedition--Yuon Par, Duras Fain, Sidonie Garen, Eriz Vossan and Cin Tykan--managed to flee, but the youngest member, Parkanas Tark, was left behind. 

Believed dead by his comrades, Parkanas nevertheless survived--though he was left horribly scarred by the dark creatures that dwelled on the planet. Nothing was left in him but anger and a longing for revenge. Taking the name Vivicar, he managed to recover the secrets of the dark plague once created by the Sith Lord Terrak Morrhage, and turned it against the Jedi who had been his friends. Now, Vivicar seeks not only personal vengeance, but the annihilation of the Jedi Order that left him to die so long ago.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 1, 2014

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
So the Jedi can be taken over, but I assume your companions cannot be mind-controlled, right?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Though I completed it already, I've really been enjoying your take on the Consular story so far, Inferior!

Albis09
Apr 30, 2013

Dead yeti-gain

Alavaria posted:

So the Jedi can be taken over, but I assume your companions cannot be mind-controlled, right?

Well, actually

For the final boss of the Jedi Knight story he can mindcontrol any humanoid who isn't you because you have such a strong will for some reason, the game forces you to take T7 with you, who probably doesn't have up to date equipment at this point because you never use a ranged tank ever. but hey, at least it thought about mind-controlling companions

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Alavaria posted:

Yeah, they're unaffected but the game never explains why. It isn't just because the game mechanics wouldn't support it, as there are sections in the other class stories where access to certain companions is blocked because of Plot. The real reason is probably :effort:.

Hulk Smash! posted:

Though I completed it already, I've really been enjoying your take on the Consular story so far, Inferior!
Thanks man!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Another fine update. I find it interesting that "Lord Vivicar" was apparently able to get his hands on an Imperial dreadnought - did he join the Empire? I guess the Empire's sort of in the business of taking in Jedi driven crazy by grudges and vindictiveness, plus that plague power of his is pretty effective. Actually, maybe he used that to subordinate an Imperial force for his revenge plot? Guess we'll see!

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

quote:

I twigged that Parkanas and Vivicar were probably the same back on Tatooine, but I'm normally pretty slow on the uptake for these things. I'd be interested to know at what stage you guys figured this out, or if it came as a surprise.

About...

Glazius posted:

this point. :downs:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dolash posted:

plus that plague power of his is pretty effective.

Kinda funny to me since later on we literally have Darth Plagueis. Oh yeah, and I'll finally get that huge update out after work. Ran into the snag of corrupted video.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Brainamp posted:

Kinda funny to me since later on we literally have Darth Plagueis. Oh yeah, and I'll finally get that huge update out after work. Ran into the snag of corrupted video.

Yay! About the update, not the corrupted video.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #055
Stardate: Polishing my heart of gold

Things are about to get interesting. Figure now’s as good a time as any to catch up.

So we turned around and made for House Alde again. I figured it’d be nice to be rid of that head as soon as possible, not to mention the Aldes might want their speeder back.

Recommended for snooty noble undergoing mood whiplash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMBgjmMvnuc

quote:

Quinine: I still have your head. Got anything useful to trade for it?

Peema Ahuff: We got off on the wrong foot, didn’t we? I apologize if I was rude before.

Peema Ahuff: You must understand, the head of Darth Bandon is a priceless artifact. He was the Sith lord who murdered one of Alderaan’s noblest sons.

Peema Ahuff: Centuries ago, Trask Ulgo bravely sacrificed himself in combat with Darth Bandon. Trask’s martyrdom saved the Galactic Republic.

There’s plenty of guys out there who’ve been “bravely sacrificed” fighting Sith, but unless they’ve got a fancy last name nobody ever says they’ve “saved the Republic”.

quote:

Peema Ahuff: Trask’s death was a noble sacrifice. It allowed a powerful Force user to live who eventually went on to destroy the evil Darth Malak.

Peema Ahuff: Alderaan’s current king is of the Ulgo family bloodline, and he reveres his ancestor Trask.

Peema Ahuff: The remains of Trask’s murderer will be the perfect peace offering to our king. House Alde must have your head! Er, so to speak…

Peema Ahuff: You don’t have to understand the subtleties of our politics. Just know that it’s vital we reach an agreement.

I took his word on that, since it still doesn’t make much sense to me. I’d heard Alderaan was all castles and nobles, like some kind of prehistoric throwback, but seeing it all in person is a little much. Any world where a three hundred year old head in a jar is the key to peace has bigger issues than the war.

quote:

Peema Ahuff: Any payment in credits I give you for the head now will have to come from my own funds. I’m not a wealthy man.

Peema Ahuff: Please, I beg you. For the love of peace and posterity, please accept my offer of what little I possess.

Ahhhh, now this wasn’t what I wanted to hear. I didn’t expect Peema’d have another rare hyperdrive lying around but I figured the nobles would at least cough up a credit bounty for him to hand out. Much as I wanted rid of my Darthly passenger I wasn’t going to bankrupt a stuffy old man.

quote:

Peema Ahuff: You – you truly mean it! Oh, thank you! Thank you so much!

Corso: That was downright charitable of you, Captain. I hope this idiot appreciates it.

Peema Ahuff: I would kiss you, Captain, but I’m certain you would strike me for it.

Yeah, that’s about right. It’s also about the least I can expect when I tell Risha I gave her head away for nothing.

Maybe I’ll get a mention on the memorial plaque or something. I tell you, if I could spend gratitude my debts would’ve been paid off years ago. But anyway, that’s that for House Alde. Time to get back to business.

Risha’s contact was way out in the middle of the warzone. Thul troops were crawling all over, fighting the Organas, the Aldes, the Rists… probably just about everybody. I figured if I was gonna be blasting my way through their lines anyway, why not pocket an Organa bounty?

You know me by now, though – I couldn’t just go with any soft target. Had to make a splash.

Sneaking into the castle wasn’t even that hard. Thul troops, like pretty much all the House troops on Alderaan, are basically just peasants given uniforms and blasters. They hardly know how to keep their fort running, never mind fight.

One quick message to Organa fire-control, and…

…wait for it…

Bullseye!

I musta had some frustration built up from Skavak’s shenanigans. Me and Corso started sabotaging things just for kicks. For example –Thul’s blaster cannon security software? Probably worth more than their turrets as antiques.

Don’t even know what that was. Looked expensive, though.

And holy hell, was that lady pissed! It was about that point me and Corso came to our senses and ran for it.

After losing that Sith harpy, we tracked down the cave Risha’s contact was hiding out in.

Seems we weren’t the only ones, though. A Thul assault team was fighting through security droids. Seems Risha’s friend isn’t too popular. Guys who live in caves rarely are.

The Thul striketeam didn’t give us much trouble. They didn’t hear us coming up from behind, and I’ve still got my trusty scattergun. The tough part was talking our way past the security droids.

Turns out our contact had built a whole summer home in a little hidey-hole connected by the cave. Now that’s some committed hermitude, but I hadn’t seen anything yet.

Sure enough, soon as I knock security turrets pop up. Thankfully, they weren’t for me – they were for another wave of Thul assassins. Seemed they were a bit angry about what we’d done to their first wave.

That’s okay. I didn’t need all those thermal detonators anyway. Once the last Thul assassin was finally dead, Baron Venar opened his door.

Recommended for exceptional caution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH0hpGfo6G4

In case you skipped the vidlog – he’s speaking Huttese. Yup, eccentric hermit supreme. Nobody tell him everyone carries a translator on them now.

quote:

Quinine: What’s wrong, you’re too good to speak Basic?

Baron Venar: This planet is full of eavesdroppers – but few who comprehend this language. Our business will remain a secret.

Baron Venar: I possess an Imperial transmitter that will send an “all-access” signal to the Thul spaceport security doors. You’ll have full clearance to enter.

Baron Venar: Once inside, I recommend committing your crimes discretely and getting out before anyone notices.

quote:

Baron Venar: Oh, I’m sure.

Okay, technically I guess breaking into the Thul spaceport is probably a crime to them.

quote:

Baron Venar: I expect Risha to turn over every recording of my vacation to Nar Shaddaa. I’m sick of her blackmailing me.

I don’t know what Venar did, and I don’t want to know. All I need to know is I’ve got a back-door pass to the Empire’s spaceport and a clear shot at Skavak. All I have to do now is infiltrate the heart of Imperial territory on Alderaan without getting caught and break into their most secure facility.

So, you know, par for the course these days.

##End Log##

Dolash fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Dolash posted:

Bullseye!
That was a total miss! All you did was blow up a flock of Xs.

I'm not sure if it's cool or stupid that Tutorial Redshirt Trask Ulgo is now known as Legendary Hero Trask Ulgo. On the one hand, it's neat world-building seeing all the ways Revan changed the galaxy, even when he didn't intend to. On the other hand, it underlines the problem many expanded universes have; everything always comes back to the exploits of the same few people. It's a small world after all.

• Locked thread