Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Sighence posted:

Maskchat again? This is my default. The preview doesn't quite do it justice.

that's pretty loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

FedoraDefender420 posted:

I love that making your gun sounds scare people is massively more advanced than being able to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZt7Oyj08_o

Yeah but only with the Berlusconi, which means you can only kill things at a distance of about five meters.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Maskchat... This is my default at the moment.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Ia! Ia!

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Caufman posted:

I was just kicked for not having seen the last episode of Breaking Bad.

Pubbies :confused:

Probably did you a favor. My guess is they did not want to reveal spoilers.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Motherfucker posted:

the Berlusconi

Wins my heart with the suggestion that the double barrel shotty is an italian, ageing, prison-dodging, womanising stubborn motherfucker.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Has anyone had Big Oil day 2 bug out and bring the pain when you summon the chopper? We stealthed it in spite of ourselves and joker'ed guard #4 as we shot #5, only keeping the plan together on a pair of ECMs. We leisurely drilled all the doors, hacked the server and figured out the engine, but as soon as the test chopper showed up the alarm went off with no indication of what had triggered it. Soon after the engine was taken away a horde of Dozers and Shields emerged from the forest like angry Ents.

Somehow all four of us made it and our fourth guy (who joined during engine selection) got eight levels for a few minutes of panicked shooting. I got a cash card.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 1, 2013

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
That's how Big Oil works.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Working as intended, the alarm will always sound when the helicopter arrives on Big Oil Day 2.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Has anyone had Big Oil day 2 bug out and bring the pain when you summon the chopper? We stealthed it in spite of ourselves and joker'ed guard #4 as we shot #5, only keeping the plan together on a pair of ECMs. We leisurely drilled all the doors, hacked the server and figured out the engine, but as soon as the test chopper shoed up the alarm went off with no indication of what had triggered it. Soon after the engine was taken away a horde of Dozers and Shields emerged from the forest like angry Ents.

Somehow all four of us made it and our fourth guy (who joined during engine selection) got eight levels for a few minutes of panicked shooting. I got a cash card.

That's deliberate :(

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Obviously the PayDay crew needs to go vault hunting. They need to do heist in every game world.

"Alright guys, the Elephant said the girl would be in a tower. It should be an easy run as long as - wait did they just call you false shepherds? Whelp, ramblers get rambling."

Chains would make them eat that dirt.
"Alright guys, we're being paid to deliver this girl to the fireflies, doesn't mean we can't make some cash along the way though."

And then you smuggle pills and guns through the military barricade :getin:

Edit: and I would totally pay $1.99 for a Bioshock Infinite masks Dlc. I want to run around with the dapper mustache of a handyman!

Edit 2: " Guys, this whole area is swarming with Clickers so you have to be quiet."
"Eat that dirt!"

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 1, 2013

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Everyone probably already knows/has posted about it, but all of us in the PD1: The Secret (mask) group have Patch 13 Beta access, check the group discussions.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FedoraDefender420 posted:

I love that making your gun sounds scare people is massively more advanced than being able to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZt7Oyj08_o

Well, we Control Freaks don't have to pay out the rear end in cleaner costs and it only takes about two initial shots to incapacitate the entire map.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like there must be some kind of untold story behind Big Oil, similar to how there was seemingly some backstory fleshed out for Counterfeit.

Why does a biker gang on the outskirts of the city have extensive intel on a fusion engine being developed by a reclusive scientist? Who or what sets off the alarm when the chopper arrives on Day 2? How do the cops quickly swarm into what I believe is outright described as an isolated home, in the middle of the wilderness?

All I can imagine is that the cops were tipped off about the bikers and were already keeping a watch on things, only for the Payday gang to blunder into it, but that doesn't explain the bikers' role in the whole thing. I have to assume they were being hired by someone else (maybe it paid for their fancy security system), but if we're already stealing the engine for Big Oil, who else has a stake in it? :raise: Either that, or the supposed biker gang was actually some kind of undercover operation. :tinfoil:

Honestly it would be really cool if they put more of a spin on it by just changing the cops on Day 2 to Murkywater guns for hire.

Dvsilverwing posted:

Everyone probably already knows/has posted about it, but all of us in the PD1: The Secret (mask) group have Patch 13 Beta access, check the group discussions.

This is a fairly reasonable way of handling a patch beta in a pinch, but that doesn't stop me from being unreasonably jealous. :argh:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 1, 2013

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I always figured at least one of the bikers was law since they call in when they spot you.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I don't think it ever says the cops were "called in" though, they just show up. The way I figure it, the cops were monitoring the house and camera feeds and when they see the bikers get spooked they move in.

As for the helicopter, the simplest explanation is that the Feds are probably monitoring it remotely either through the camera feed or via some kind of stakeout (binoculars, helicopters overhead, whatever). When they see an unknown helicopter touch down they move in. I mean, that still doesn't explain why they're not tipped off when the helicopter first drops you (and possibly several bags of ammo) off right by the house.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dvsilverwing posted:

Welp, guess I'm reinstalling Payday 1.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

King Vidiot posted:

I don't think it ever says the cops were "called in" though, they just show up. The way I figure it, the cops were monitoring the house and camera feeds and when they see the bikers get spooked they move in.

As for the helicopter, the simplest explanation is that the Feds are probably monitoring it remotely either through the camera feed or via some kind of stakeout (binoculars, helicopters overhead, whatever). When they see an unknown helicopter touch down they move in. I mean, that still doesn't explain why they're not tipped off when the helicopter first drops you (and possibly several bags of ammo) off right by the house.

I dunno I think I've actually heard cop calling dialogue from the bikers. I'll have to play it again and see if I can catch it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Well then I guess another possible scenario is that the bikers have police backing to sell top-secret government intel to somebody. :tinfoil:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FishBulb posted:

I dunno I think I've actually heard cop calling dialogue from the bikers. I'll have to play it again and see if I can catch it.

That's possible, but more likely an oversight/laziness/bug. The Russian mobsters in the nightclub do the exact same thing, their voice blatantly changing to the canned security guard voice to do it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

John Murdoch posted:

That's possible, but more likely an oversight/laziness/bug. The Russian mobsters in the nightclub do the exact same thing, their voice blatantly changing to the canned security guard voice to do it.

Yeah it's probably exactly that but it helps explain a lot of questions so just roll with it ok?

Man I don't even care about plot consistency why am I even posting about this.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I just figured it was like Firestarter day 1, the cops are nearby planning a raid, then the payday gang shows up and they have to scramble to do what they intended to do. Unless you go loud, the guy watching the site doesn't really notice anything, maybe they're just listening for gunshots or something.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm level 40+ and I've only had two masks drop.

On the other hand I like them a lot so I don't mind that much. :shobon:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Suddenly I wonder if Big Oil was the result of leftover heist ideas and maps they didn't know what to do with or couldn't expand on in time for release, so they just stuck two unrelated missions together.

I could see Day 1 being part of Hector's story, taking out a biker gang that's making trouble or somesuch, or maybe it's just a straight-up alternate version of Rats 1. Rats in its current state does feel a bit pieced together. Meanwhile, Day 2 has a solid concept, but it would seem bizarre to just kinda show up on the scientist's doorstep asking for a cup of fusion engine. It feels more like a finale to a big heist ala Framing Frame rather than a simple one day job.

I mean, at the very least, it was a bit of a surprise for them to completely retool Day 1 post-launch. It certainly gives the impression that the original Day 1 was more of a first-draft.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Here's the beta patch notes for those of you not in the secret group:

quote:

Update size: 1,2 gb

The three biggest changes

A complete overhaul of the weapon system, introducing numeric values instead of bars
Major changes to the stealth system, balancing how much weapons, skills and armors affect your concealment
Rewritten skill descriptions, introducing numeric values in the spirit of Mekonlips' https://www.pd2skills.info

System

XP buff for HARD, VERY HARD, OVERKILL to account for increased difficulty, making it more rewarding
Pro Job XP payout increased on OVERKILL difficulty, making it more rewarding
Failure XP payout reduced slighlty
Special enemies will now be marked when seeing them through security cameras
You can now mark special enemies when in bleedout
Fixed a bug where skills that reduces purchase cost did not reduce cost of buying Premium Contracts
Changed suppression to threat
Changed visibility to concealment
Changed recoil to stability

Masks

All possible masks are now shown in your mask stash - now you know how many masks there currently are and which ones you have

Stealth

Major changes to the stealth system, balancing how much weapons, skills and armors affect your concealment
Fixed a bug for suspicion meter not decaying when same enemy has more than one suspicion object in sight
Decreased most SMG weapons and Assault Rifles concealability
Increased Pistol concealability except for the Deagle Pistol and Bronco .44 Revolver
It will no longer be possible to sneak right in front of enemies
Added a Detection Risk ring in the inventory instead of the Concealment bar
Fixed various issues with Suspicion and Detection related skills
Adjusted armor concealment values to make the first four armors more forgiving and the last three more punishing
Adjusted the weapon concealment values to be less punishing
Security cameras have been improved and will now detect you faster - GENSEC have been hard at work

Law enforcement

Increased Sniper difficulty on OVERKILL so that they now deal massive damage
Tasers can now team up together with Shields
Law enforcers can now carry the Bronco .44 Revolver - go on, make their day
Fixed a crash regarding Sniper on the OVERKILL difficulty
Bulldozers can now throw smoke grenades - Oh my god
Bulldozers can now use the IZHMA 12G Shotgun - Sweet baby Jesus
Added new VO when law enforcers are suppressed
Fixed a crash related to flashbangs
Fixed a crash when a player tries to convert a dead law enforcer
Added hearing loss sound for flashbang
Added new VO for police officers and S.W.A.T.'s
Decreased damage output of law enforcers carrying the CAR-4 Rifle
Decreased damage output of law enforcers carrying the AMR-16 Rifle
Reduced the distance that the Taser can tase you
Added SFX to the Taser when his taser malfunctions and increased the damage the taser takes

GUI

Three icons have been added for the drill monitor so players can now see which skills have been activated
Weapon modification icons have now been added to the inventory and the loadout menus
Increased volume of player armor regeneration sound

Gangsters

Gangsters have been balanced so that they are less deadly, yo

Armor

Armors have received a dodge value - the lighter you are, the higher chance you have of dodging bullets
Further balanced movement rates for all armors
Armor penalty now affects steelsight speed, crouching speed and in-air movement speed

Skills

Rewritten skill descriptions, introducing numeric values in the spirit of Mekonlips' https://www.pd2skills.info
Complete overhaul of skill descriptions to more accurately describe what the skills do
ECM Feedback radius has been extended to 25m
Improved the Fast Learner skill by increasing its effect
Balanced the Bulletproof skill by decreasing its effect
Improved the Cat Burglar skill by increasing its effect
Improved the Lockpicking Expert ACE skill by increasing its effect
Improved the Gunslinger skill by increasing its damage and reload time
Improved the Cable Guy skill by increasing the interaction speed
Balanced the Inspire ACE skill so that it works 75% of the time
Improved the Sentry Combat Upgrade skill by increasing the armor %
Balanced the Chameleon skill, decreasing its effect
Balanced Tier 4 of the Ghost tree
Balanced Tier 6 of the Enforcer tree

Drill

Add ability to upgrade drills with your skill upgrades - you can now upgrade other players drills
Fixed bugs with the drill and hacking device, sound getting stuck and unavailable upgrades for clients

Weapons

A complete overhaul of the weapon system, introducing numeric values instead of bars
Selecting equipped mod will display the base, mod and skill stats
CMP Submachinegun - Increased the damage, spread and recoil
AMR-16 Rifle - Decreased the damage and recoil
AK.762 Rifle - Decreased the damage
Krinkov Submachinegun - Decreased the rate of fire
AK5 Rifle - Lowered the recoil
Kobus 90 Submachinegun - Lowered the recoil
Deagle Pistol - Lowered the recoil, increased the damage
Mark 10 Submachinegun - Increased the damage and spread
Locomotive 12G Shotgun - Increased the full and fall-off damage
Crosskill Pistol - Decreased the damage, lowered the recoil
Mosconi 12G Shotgun - Modifications for the Mosconi 12G Shotgun now have higher concealment
The Ergo Grip modification of the Crosskill Pistol now has a stability statistic

Nightclub heist

Fixed a bug with a shelf with no collision in the kitchen

Watchdogs heist

Watchdogs Day 2 - Fixed a bug with the trucks collision

Four Stores heist

Fixed a bug where a camera wasn't spotting players properly

Diamond Store heist

Fixed the AI navigation graph so they move properly

Big Oil heist

Fixed a bug so that the players can't shoot through the round windows to the left and right of a door

Jewelry Store heist

Fixed a bug where throwing jewelry bags on top of street lights will cause progression to be stopped
Fixed a bug where the player and bag collision wouldn't work properly with the dump truck (this is also fixed on the Ukranian job)

Rats heist

Rats Day 2 - Fixed an issue where one of the money bag isn't secured when it spawn in the van

Framing Frame heist

Framing Frame Day 2 - Fixed a bug so that players now are able to pass through the train door before it closes
Framing Frame Day 2 - Fixed an issue with the phone when multiple players would answer it at the same time
Framing Frame Day 3 - Fixed a bug where bags weren't reachable

They also said this...

quote:

Q: Can I share this?

A: You do what you please. We've given you the opportunity to play it. If you want to share it with others, we won't stop you.
...so maybe they don't care if we hand out the beta password :shrug:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

"any news coming for patch today or still not to sure"
@locust9: "we had one more issue. Hoping today."

@locust9: "I have officially crossed over into "gently caress you" territory."

"i heard patch 13 contains new heist! is this true!?"
@locust9: "no. 14 most likely."
"Woah 14 new heists in Patch 13? I can't contain the excitement!!!"
@locust9: "PATCH 14. not 14 new heists."

"are LMG's making an appearance update 13 or drum mags?"
@locust9: "no."

"are there any special cases that make ace cat burglar not work? jumped off balcony on big oil day 1 in full ICTV, instantly down"
@locust9: "fatal height is fatal height"

@locust9: "Main stuff in (not out yet!) patch: stealth/armor&weapons completely redone. Weapon and skills have stats. Saiga dozer. Many fixes. #payday2"

"David, are there changes in the skill tree with patch 13? In addition of the numbers, which are a very good thing."
@locust9: "yep. some rather substantial ones. But the major overhaul isn't here yet."

"With the changes to Stealth/detection is it going to be even harder for non-hosts to stealth?"
@locust9: "much more gear/skill dependent."

"Are Titan Safes still a ragequit situation for pure Ghost/Ghostermind builds? Can we pick them or ECM them with this patch?"
@locust9: "not in this patch atm but hang on a sec."
"please, don't allow lock picks on titan safes. As a tech, then you only have vault doors that require a drill."
@locust9: "it would be fine if it took 3x as long."

"When are the "new" VOs for inspire gonna be added? I remember you mentioning it earlier."
@locust9: "in now afaik"
@locust9: "but the really long ones.. not sure if those are in"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Cass posted:

Here's the beta patch notes for those of you not in the secret group:

They also said this...

So...what is it? :allears:

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Still don't think I've seen a titan safe yet. Are they that bad that some poor ghost player would seriously spend 135 seconds holding f to open it?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

lil baby anime posted:

Still don't think I've seen a titan safe yet. Are they that bad that some poor ghost player would seriously spend 135 seconds holding f to open it?

You can't use C4 or jammers on them so they are the worst thing in the game I guess.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

lil baby anime posted:

They only currently show up on Diamond Heist (but never as a primary objective), Big Oil Day 1 (which used to take way too long, but they shortened the timer, you can't reliably stealth it if at all, and it's just fun to play anyway), and very occasionally on Ukrainian Job as a troll.

Originally they were going to let you use an ECM on it to shorten the drill time, but I think they realized how weird that was so apparently it might get rolled into Safecracker or become a T7 Ghost skill?

As for the patch itself, I have to admit I'm a little underwhelmed. There's a lot of little things in there, and a lot of the changes are going to have long-lasting effects, but I was hoping for more significant skill changes. Just seems to lack real mmph. Edit: Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if there were things missing from the notes. They seem to have a lot of trouble with that.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 1, 2013

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I'm pretty sure they can also show up on Jewelry Store (Which is basically Ukrainian Job) and on Rats 2.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Why wouldn't you just let someone lock pick them like normal? It means the tech can't just insta-C4 them. The ghost has his field day.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deviant posted:

Eat that dirt!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Deviant posted:

It's "Overkill," isn't it? Not like they don't use that word enough.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Really curious to see how this patch affects stealth.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cass posted:

Armor penalty now affects steelsight speed

Oh, for god's sake. Why the gently caress would they think this is a good idea?

e;

quote:

Balanced the Inspire ACE skill so that it works 75% of the time

This one also wins an award for dumbest change ever.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 1, 2013

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Oh, for god's sake. Why the gently caress would they think this is a good idea?

e;

This one also wins an award for dumbest change ever.

Probably for the same reason they would think that someone in heavy armor shouldn't be able to get into cover as easily via crouch. I guess that might kill all the "Enforcers should use cover more!" discussion, though.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
So does anyone know the beta password? This exchange occurred on Goldfarb's twitter, followed by this. I figured that meant the password was going to be "Overkill 145+", as that's the difficulty above Overkill in the first game, but no variation of that seems to work.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Cass posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. I saw someone become a part of the beta group just by messaging Goldfarb on twitter and saying that he's a programmer that wants to help with testing patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Shima Honnou posted:

Probably for the same reason they would think that someone in heavy armor shouldn't be able to get into cover as easily via crouch. I guess that might kill all the "Enforcers should use cover more!" discussion, though.

I took that to mean movement while crouched rather than how fast you crouch, but I suppose it could go either way. Also there's plenty of cover that doesn't necessitate crouching. :shrug:

Also ICTV is supposed to be 50% stronger this patch.

• Locked thread