Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Bleusilences posted:

Imagine a world with a quick save option...

Well I didn't know which save it would corrupt. Would it corrupt the currently open game? Is just saving another game in another slot enough to protect my progress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!
I don't know why I keep trying to get online. I'm just punishing myself at this point. :emo:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Not working at all on my PS3. Crapped out twice and hardlocked my PS3 while trying to patch, but once it did I only got through the intro and when trying to trigger the first race, it shits the bed.

Also lost some melee weapons on Trevor for some reason?

Gonna leave GTA:O until a few days from now, this poo poo is unplayable currently.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Hobo Clown posted:

Also hey it's been open for all of three hours, maybe we can wait a bit before gnashing our teeth and declaring GTAV the Worst Game Ever.

trolls gonna troll, yo

It might get a little better during the day but then when kids get off school and adults get off work it will probably be down until 4am EST.

Or you could just "leave it for 6 months until Rockstar gets their poo poo together" lol

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!
Is anyone else just getting a black screen when they try to go online?

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Can't get into MP so thought I'd pick up some hitchhikers in SP... Can't load the map o nthe Rockstar website to find where the ones are that I'm missing. poo poo...

I only just figured out you can take some to a cult and want to try it out!

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

Croccers posted:

When you're holding up a store, if you yell into a mic it's meant to go faster. :suicide:
Don't encourage mic-screeching Rockstar!

Whaaaaaat. Some of these decisions are just

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Can you make a character you don't want to knock the teeth out of?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
As far as I can tell, the servers are simply down right now. I'm pretty sure the free-roam and matchmaking lists are all on peer-to-peer, so anyone connected will probably stay connected.

I wouldn't be so sure that your progress will save though.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Went to fart around with car customization and the text that pops up when you enter is HUGE.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aishan posted:

As far as I can tell, the servers are simply down right now. I'm pretty sure the free-roam and matchmaking lists are all on peer-to-peer, so anyone connected will probably stay connected.

I wouldn't be so sure that your progress will save though.

If you try to join now, or the servers go down while you're playing like with me earlier, it straight up tells you, 'poo poo ain't getting saved'.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lotish posted:

Can you make a character you don't want to knock the teeth out of?

Far as I can tell, no.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

TehGherkin posted:

If you think it's bad now, the next few hours are probably gonna be worse as millions of schoolkids and college students get home.

After that, work gets out.

So in other words, I probably shouldn't even try this week, or at least until Rockstar makes some kind of announcement.

Thankfully I haven't gotten hardlocked or anything, and it doesn't seem like I lost any saves, but I got a "Failed to host game" message twice so I gave up thinking it was just a crash. So yeah, I'll wait up.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Just got up to level 8. Played for maybe 4 hours or something with no problems. A couple of matchmaking lobbies have failed when trying to do deathmatches and stuff but it would just kick me back to the open world where I could try again.

Don't blow up someones personal vehicle, if they have it insured you have to pay some of the cost. I chased and destroyed some random dude and it cost me almost $500 :mad:.

The most I've had at any one time so far has been like $9000 and the cheapest properties that are just garages are like $30,000 it seems. The fancy apartments and stuff cost in the hundreds of thousands/millions so they're gonna make a killing selling those GTA $ packs.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Played for a while. Some general notes:

* Your character's mouth moves when you talk in game chat.

* Social Club members (which should be everyone frankly) get a free super car, but you have to order it online, which means you'll need a garage. Cheapest one costs 33k, which is fairly significant, but not restrictively so.

* Apparently the BAWSAQ isn't available in Online, or else the wording on the "poo poo's hosed" message is poor.

* All clothes are purchaseable from any clothing store, apparently. There's a lot more of them than in SP, as well, but some have bizarre restrictions. I have to be level 45 to wear anything purple? I can't wear skate shoes with jeans?

* The game tells you that you need to track down ATMs when you're carrying too much cash. It's lying. You can deposit from your phone by visiting the bank site.

* A lot more vehicles are purchasable online, but only ones you can buy in SP have pictures, so have fun playing the guessing game.

* Cops are more irritable and will do things like come after you for driving someone else's car, or impounding and permanently destroying yours when they kill you. If the cops show up mid-holdup you'll be locked inside and as far as I can tell get stuck there until you die. On the other hand, though, it's easier to lose the cops in online. They seem to go into searching mode immediately after you break LoS. However, driving past a store you can hold up while wanted immediately tips the cops off for some reason.

* during hold ups the cashier moves faster if you yell into the mic. Given XBL's online population and the fact that there's only one generic cashier model -who happens to be an Indian stereotype - this ends up being... A problem.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Unsurprisingly the BAWQSAQ/Social Club's down as well. Wish the assassination stocks weren't linked to online functionality, I'd like to to the second assassination mission as that's apparently the only way to make money.

I love this game, but I wish they'd allow the player to make money during the game besides the stock market.

I take it there's no point in trying online if you can't even save the game? OR can you locally?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone else see their gamertag name printed in huge letters on the lower left portion of the screen, or is that still there for me because I was in the beta?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Does anybody know how to access these ATMs they mention in the online mode? I'd like to drop off some excess cash before somebody pops me.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
You can also make hold-ups go faster by shooting at the bottles and boxes around the clerk.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Funkmaster General posted:

* Cops are more irritable and will do things like come after you for driving someone else's car, or impounding and permanently destroying yours when they kill you. If the cops show up mid-holdup you'll be locked inside and as far as I can tell get stuck there until you die. On the other hand, though, it's easier to lose the cops in online. They seem to go into searching mode immediately after you break LoS. However, driving past a store you can hold up while wanted immediately tips the cops off for some reason.

It's pretty handy when the cops are after you and then you stumble across some other dude in a police chase and your cops just start going after him :v:

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
So how wonky is the character creation, given that RockStar went with a lineage system over pure avatar creation?

Also, everyone is creating a female for some variety, right?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The lineage system is crap. And yeah, I gave females a go. They all looked like Eddie Izzard.

Beyond that, I couldn't join a session.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

By the way, am I missing something or are custom plates not usable online? I didn't see the option when modding my car. Why would they force you into a unique plate if you can't actually ever see anyone else's?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehh, not that excited about the character creator. It is very limited, a lot more so then I expected.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Funkmaster General posted:

* The game tells you that you need to track down ATMs when you're carrying too much cash. It's lying. You can deposit from your phone by visiting the bank site.

This really bothers me, because I was excited about this dynamic of having to hoof it to ATMs with a load of money and it being a risk.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

And yeah like everyone says the character creation isn't very good. I just hit random a load of times until I had roughly what I wanted. Then tweaked it a bit.

It would maybe be ok if you could actually see what the parents and grandparents looked like instead of a tiny blurry thumbnail.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

futureproof posted:

In front of the downtown Los Santos hospital.

:doh:

Thanks. I'd been checking warehouses and poo poo...

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

-Dethstryk- posted:

This really bothers me, because I was excited about this dynamic of having to hoof it to ATMs with a load of money and it being a risk.

As far as I can tell you're still vulnerable when using the phone.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wait, you can't turn cops off now? Even in a solo session? If so that's pretty lovely.

SuperLobster
Oct 10, 2003

An average crustacean one day blessed with incredible powers!

-Dethstryk- posted:

Yes and no. The stress of getting that large payoff from a difficult job deposited before someone snipes you for it could be a lot of fun, but I also picture people logging in and staying close to "popular" ATMs and killing people right as they pull up. I say popular because I imagine there are some conveniently placed ones that are used more than others for their accessibility on the map.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

-Dethstryk- posted:

You're still vulnerable while using your phone.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
I managed to play for a couple of hours earlier, MY GOD is it boring as poo poo. I really hope they diversify the activities as your levels increase, because playing TDM and racing really isn't any fun at all. All I wanted was cooperative heists and tomfoolery.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Well, having played online for a couple hours now I can say that at the moment anything other than free roam is pretty thoroughly hosed. I sat in multiple lobbies waiting for matchmaking to put some people in my game to no avail. Free roam itself seems to work fine for me. I had one guy jump in my car, come with me to rob a store, then the two of us took turns stomping the clerk after he had given us the money. It gives a real sense of community to the whole "ultra violence" thing.

I will say though that once Online is more stable it is going to kick serious rear end. I can't wait to get into some 16 player motorcycle races.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
Yeah, character creation seems really sucky, and I was keen to get away from the whole two dozen sliders for your nostrils thing. Can't make a fat dude, can't make a convincing Danny Brown... I'll probably wind up buying a jacket and a mask and hotline miami'ing up anyway. I'm assuming there's going to be a lot of this going on.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Anyone know why (late-ish game spoiler??) I can't select Michael after the 'Surveying the Scene' mission where I scoped out the Union Depository? No missions available for Franklin or Trevor too.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

As far as I can tell you're still vulnerable when using the phone.

Pretty sure if you really care you can just pay the $100 fee to become immune to PVP, deposit from your phone, then turn your protection back off.

As cool as the ATM thing is in concept, it won't ever matter unless you are carrying obscene amounts of cash, and there's tons of ways around it anyway. Other than depositing on the phone, you can buy protection and visit an ATM, gently caress off into a private game until your money is safe, temporarily transfer your cash to a friend in a safer location...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Linx posted:

I managed to play for a couple of hours earlier, MY GOD is it boring as poo poo. I really hope they diversify the activities as your levels increase, because playing TDM and racing really isn't any fun at all. All I wanted was cooperative heists and tomfoolery.

Ouch, that is really disappointing. I was hoping Rockstar would drop the unlocked thing from RDR because that was terrible. I just want access to everything from the start.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Never saw any way to make different heights despite what was said, the models are just a male and a female to save a crapload of memory and loading.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

You definitely unlock activities as you rank up, including free roam stuff. I got a text at one point informing me that I am now allowed to visit the strip club.... Yay.

Not sure if you could accept an invite to join activities you haven't unlocked yourself or not though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Without giving too much context away before the spoiler tag, I have a question about the Blitz:

Why do you need a getaway vehicle and how are Michael and Trevor supposed to escape?

Are the three of them supposed to take off in different directions and you only play as Franklin because trying to play three simultaneous escapes would be too much? Why only grab one getaway car then and not three?

I thought maybe Franklin would be bait to lure the cops away, but after killing them all my drive to the getaway car was casual and without incident.

• Locked thread