Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Detective Thompson posted:

So the Pats have what, 14 rookies on the team? That's a pretty fair percentage. Are there any teams with more right now? That seems like a hell of a lot of new guys.

The Raiders are starting 11 new players on defense from last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
If you don't have the fact they ask for, just post the fact you know!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

So the Pats have what, 14 rookies on the team? That's a pretty fair percentage. Are there any teams with more right now? That seems like a hell of a lot of new guys.
They have the most, at least as of a month ago.

quote:

St. Louis and Atlanta are second behind the Patriots with 12 rookies on their Monday rosters

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/09/02/patriots-younger-with-most-rookies-any-nfl-team/OyOJLUqCVKP5hVTddXMzBM/story.html

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

The Pats have 10 rookies who have actually played games. They lead the league. The modern record for rookies on the roster over the first four weeks is 15 for last year's Rams. This year's Rams have 9 rookies who have played games, raking second.

here, have a graph

dokmo fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 1, 2013

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

dokmo posted:

The Pats have 10 rookies who have actually played games. They lead the league. The modern record for rookies on the roster over the first four weeks is 15 for last year's Rams. This year's Rams have 9 rookies who have played games, raking second.

here, have a graph

What a loving awful graph. Use mascots or city abbreviations but not both

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

dokmo posted:

here, have a graph

I had to scan that three times to find Houston. Using HTX or HST as an abbreviation for Houston sports teams frightens and confuses me.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

What a loving awful graph. Use mascots or city abbreviations but not both

Hey don't blame me. Just using pro-footbal-ref's abbreviations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
How the hell is New England NWE?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How the hell is New England NWE?

dokmo posted:

Make your own graphs, ingrates

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
It took me forever to figure out what CLT was.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Arschlochkind posted:

I had to scan that three times to find Houston. Using HTX or HST as an abbreviation for Houston sports teams frightens and confuses me.

dokmo posted:

In this case it makes sense because "HOU" would have been the Oilers in their datasets. Similarly other teams that moved/renamed are that way because of the same thing.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

No Safe Word posted:

In this case it makes sense because "HOU" would have been the Oilers in their datasets. Similarly other teams that moved/renamed are that way because of the same thing.

So is CLT Baltimore or Indianapolis?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

No. It is "Cleveland Team"

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I'm not blaming you for the bad abbreviation conventions, just pointing out that CLT doesn't help to clarify the same way the HTX does. You made a helpful graph, it's PFR's naming convention that obfuscates the issue.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No Safe Word posted:

Then why not TEX which...is just plain more obvious.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

Then why not TEX which...is just plain more obvious.

Dallas Texans I'd guess.

e: Nope they're DTX

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It's just a way of referring to the franchise as a whole, no matter where it played. Like RAI, the most awkward imo, which refers to the Oakland Raiders, the LA Raiders, the fuckin......Tusken Raiders, all the Raiders throughout the team's history

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Declan MacManus posted:

Make your own graphs, ingrates
(Yeah that was my response, too.)

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Rap posted:

If you don't have the fact they ask for, just post the fact you know!

this made me laugh v hard

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I don't even think the CLT exists

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Blackula69 posted:

I don't even think the CLT exists

What are you talking about? I am the CLT Commander.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

What are you talking about? I am the CLT Commander.

Chronic Libido Troubles?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

What do they do with the jerseys of cut players? I think they'd be too big for little children to wear.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cruel and Unusual posted:

What do they do with the jerseys of cut players? I think they'd be too big for little children to wear.

They go recruit a new player with the same name.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

3rd world countries?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Do you mean the jersey the guy actually wore, or the merchandise jerseys?

With the former, they just take the name plate off. With the latter... FIRESALE.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Badfinger posted:

Do you mean the jersey the guy actually wore, or the merchandise jerseys?

With the former, they just take the name plate off. With the latter... FIRESALE.

NFL.com had AJ Jenkins 49ers jerseys for the low low price of $36 the other day.

Alex Smith $30!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Years ago, I saw Owens Eagles jerseys in JC Penney at buy one get one free for $5.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
At the start of the season I went looking through the NFL Shop Eagles and Texans jerseys. I found a few gems (such as a Kevin Kolb replica throwback jersey), and this was my favorite:

(for $99!)

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
On extra point attempts ( or conversions, as I call them), there's normally a bloke from the defending team who just sort of hangs around at the back and makes no attempt to block the kick. Why is this?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

dokmo posted:

Sorry, that came out super rude I meant it in sort of an incredulous way rather than trying to be a dick

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
He is probably in a zone covering the middle of the field in case the kicking team fakes the kick and passes the ball.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Gambrinus posted:

On extra point attempts ( or conversions, as I call them), there's normally a bloke from the defending team who just sort of hangs around at the back and makes no attempt to block the kick. Why is this?

99% of the time that dude is the team's kick returner or a Defensive Back and yeah, he's there to make sure no trick plays get pulled, sometimes he'll go in for a block. Occasionally, on a very long field goal, he will line up way back because if the kick is short, he can field it and return it, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wuQ9kd_m2A

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

This usually isn't done except as an end-of-half thing because if you just let the kick drop and keep the gently caress away from it, you get the ball back at the spot of the kick (NFL) or where the ball was snapped (college), and 99.9% of the time that's a better and less risky option than trying to return it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Trin Tragula posted:

This usually isn't done except as an end-of-half thing because if you just let the kick drop and keep the gently caress away from it, you get the ball back at the spot of the kick (NFL) or where the ball was snapped (college), and 99.9% of the time that's a better and less risky option than trying to return it.

Yeah, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiOKyEXD8wc

Dey Yah
Dec 18, 2010
Does there exist any kind of a "tell-all" from a former GM for a team where they go over team building strategy in any detail? Like a book or article or interview or something? I can understand current guys not wanting to talk about their draft theories and the way they choose which FAs to pick up and stuff, but I think it'd be really interesting to hear from a guy who's been out of the business for a few years about how he went about putting a team together. Google just gives me articles about the Jets

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

'Finding the Winning Edge' by Bill Walsh is supposedly amazing. Unfortunately it's OOP and used copies typically go for hundreds on eBay.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

How many veterans will a team typically resign at the end of their contract?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Ozu posted:

'Finding the Winning Edge' by Bill Walsh is supposedly amazing. Unfortunately it's OOP and used copies typically go for hundreds on eBay.

The whole thing is on scribd.

• Locked thread