Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lonter
Oct 12, 2012
The rangefinder on the airburst support weapon is kind of annoying to use; you have to find the spot you want to find the range to, go out of aim mode by right clicking (if you are in aiming mode, which I usually do cause it's easier to find the right spot) then right click again to go back into aim mode. Why couldn't they just make use of T or V to 'lock' the current target's range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Doctor
May 25, 2009

"I'm not a hero, I'm just an old killer"

Tarranon posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting battle screen to work on their devices? I saw someone apparently had it working with a second monitor, so maybe it's PC only at the moment? I can't find any information about this online and I wanna try it :smith:

I've tried to get it to work on my Android Tablet but no luck so far, it just doesn't load the map. I tried using a laptop to sign into battlelog and that worked though. I'd be interested to hear if someone has gotten it to work on an iPad or if it just isn't working on mobile devices right now.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

kiresays posted:

Goddamn I want floodzone. But Shanghai is pretty drat good. I never realized how big the map was, the scale is great. At the same time it's pretty easy to get around or go behind lines.

The map is a lot denser and has a lot more vertical area which is nice because they can cram 64 players in a much smaller area without feeling like a cluster gently caress. The game really is just an upgrade to BF3, but that's fine because they seemed to focus a lot of time on stuff that BF3 was sorely lacking. Hopefully the commander role works out well and they start force feeding teamwork a bit more. I'm pretty impressed so far.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

So some of you dumdums have been complaining about all the snipers on rooftops in Shanghai. You might not be smart enough to realize this but this is actually a good thing. You see, there is this gun in the game that you've probably not used since you're to busy grinding up Assault score to get the defib. It's called the XM25 it's the best gun in the game and it looks like this:

It is a gun for support that is specifically designed to murder dozens of snipers without giving them the chance to shoot back. Most people seem to think that it's a shittier version of the Assault's M320, it's not. It's miles better than the M320. While the M320 is supposed to be fired from a high position to a lower one, the XM25 is the other way around, shot at some dumbass sniper camped up on a building. To do this, you aim at the edge of the building the sniper is camped out, then aim down the sights. While still sighted you then aim slightly above the edge of the building and unleash a volley of sniper-shredding 25mm doom.

The only thing keeping the XM25 balanced is two things. The first is that you need to ammo crate to resupply it. Now Sweden is a bit more lax than the US is when it comes to weed so the dudes at DICE were probably stoned when they thought this poo poo up but the ammo crate takes loving forever to unlock so it's gonna be a massive pain in the rear end trying to get it. Until then you'll just have to make do being able to kill only 5 snipers without giving them a chance of retaliation. The other thing is keeping it balanced is that most people are dumb and don't know about the air burst (despite saying "air-burst" in the loving name of the thing) so they use it like it's a crappier version of the M320 and then complain that it sucks. However assuming you've read the preceding paragraph you shouldn't be having that problem.

bugs
Aug 10, 2010

Tarranon posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting battle screen to work on their devices? I saw someone apparently had it working with a second monitor, so maybe it's PC only at the moment? I can't find any information about this online and I wanna try it :smith:

Works for me on my iPad through the Battlelog app.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

lonter posted:

The rangefinder on the airburst support weapon is kind of annoying to use; you have to find the spot you want to find the range to, go out of aim mode by right clicking (if you are in aiming mode, which I usually do cause it's easier to find the right spot) then right click again to go back into aim mode. Why couldn't they just make use of T or V to 'lock' the current target's range?

Yeah, it's pretty annoying to use. It's a very fun weapon though, and handy for cleaning out sniper infestations from below.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Lazyfire posted:

Doesn't the Transport Heli still have side guns? It sounds like a few passes may make them move. If they're zeroing rifles a pass at a different distance would make it hard for them to snipe the occupants.

Yes it does. Couple of us were doing this last night and it works really well. You just need to be playing with people you can talk to so if you're gunning you can ask the pilot to swing by B then mow down everyone on the roof and move on.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
Edit: Reading comprehension is hard.

I was pretty sour on the beta when I first tried it, but I'm warming to as I play it more. I really like the new items and the changes to the way weapons are made available to multiple classes. I don't much like the map just because it's so small and so much of what space exists is taken up with a huge expanse of featureless water, but I do like some of the elements in it like the large number of accessible buildings of varied height and the underground/interior areas. So if this is like the BF3 beta where they made only the smallest, shittiest map available in the beta, we're probably in pretty good shape.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 2, 2013

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

DoctorStrangelove posted:

So some of you dumdums have been complaining about all the snipers on rooftops in Shanghai. You might not be smart enough to realize this but this is actually a good thing. You see, there is this gun in the game that you've probably not used since you're to busy grinding up Assault score to get the defib. It's called the XM25 it's the best gun in the game and it looks like this:

It is a gun for support that is specifically designed to murder dozens of snipers without giving them the chance to shoot back. Most people seem to think that it's a shittier version of the Assault's M320, it's not. It's miles better than the M320. While the M320 is supposed to be fired from a high position to a lower one, the XM25 is the other way around, shot at some dumbass sniper camped up on a building. To do this, you aim at the edge of the building the sniper is camped out, then aim down the sights. While still sighted you then aim slightly above the edge of the building and unleash a volley of sniper-shredding 25mm doom.

The only thing keeping the XM25 balanced is two things. The first is that you need to ammo crate to resupply it. Now Sweden is a bit more lax than the US is when it comes to weed so the dudes at DICE were probably stoned when they thought this poo poo up but the ammo crate takes loving forever to unlock so it's gonna be a massive pain in the rear end trying to get it. Until then you'll just have to make do being able to kill only 5 snipers without giving them a chance of retaliation. The other thing is keeping it balanced is that most people are dumb and don't know about the air burst (despite saying "air-burst" in the loving name of the thing) so they use it like it's a crappier version of the M320 and then complain that it sucks. However assuming you've read the preceding paragraph you shouldn't be having that problem.

Or you just hop around a little more because most recons can't hit a moving target

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The PLD is pretty neat. Lasering a tank and having it get hit by multiple hydras will net you 50 points per hit and an additional 100 for the kill. I was sitting on a ledge on the tower lasering an enemy tank formation on the bridge and ended up with 2k+ points in less than a minute for pointing lazers.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I'm pretty dismayed to see that you apparently only unlock new sniper rifles by using sniper rifles. And the first one they give you is a bolt action. All I want is my semi auto sks back so I can be the forward recon I was always meant to be, but now I actually have to be decent with a bolt action to get it

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Tarranon posted:

I'm pretty dismayed to see that you apparently only unlock new sniper rifles by using sniper rifles. And the first one they give you is a bolt action. All I want is my semi auto sks back so I can be the forward recon I was always meant to be, but now I actually have to be decent with a bolt action to get it

Wait, so ranking up a class simply unlocks gadgets, and to get more guns you need to use guns of the same type? Frak.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

mcbexx posted:

The PLD is pretty neat. Lasering a tank and having it get hit by multiple hydras will net you 50 points per hit and an additional 100 for the kill. I was sitting on a ledge on the tower lasering an enemy tank formation on the bridge and ended up with 2k+ points in less than a minute for pointing lazers.

You sure ztimulated the crap out of those vehicles!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Tarranon posted:

Progressing in the Engineer kit will unlock the use of carbines for every kit, while progress in the Support kit will unlock shotguns. Use those to progress the Recon kit until you unlock Designated Marksman Rifles (also for every kit), because that is the new weapon class which includes the type of rifles you want.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Doflamingo posted:

Wait, so ranking up a class simply unlocks gadgets, and to get more guns you need to use guns of the same type? Frak.
Ayup. The exception is that to get the first carbine/DMR/shotgun, you need to get to rank 3 of engineer/recon/support. Personally, I plan on getting DMRs unlocked by getting carbines, then just playing recon until then, then using another class to see whether DMRs are any good.

So, yesterday my performance was fine. Then suddenly this morning, its taken a poo poo. I keep getting wierd microstutters (often when I ADS) and for some reason every time I respawn it plays my death animation again. I rolled back the beta nvidia drivers, didn't get much improvement, so I'm reinstalling them. Did a clean reinstall of BF4, updated everything I could think of, and I can't get back to the performance I was having just yesterday. Pretty drat frustrating.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I started loving around with it, and it does rule. It can take more than one hit around a corner, but I don't think people realize what's happening to them, so they won't move.

Anyone else having to go to the pause menu to get their spawn screen up after they die?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Target Practice posted:

Does this work with all the sniper scopes? It just automatically zeroes at the last location that you lased with the rangefinder?

Keep in mind I haven't actually touched the beta (having premium on Xbox instead of PC and no intention of playing it on the consoles) so I'm going by other posts and pictures of the thing. It looks like the "Designator" people talked about wasn't the SOFLAM but an attachment on the gun itself.

What I've seen of it is that when you designate and zero to a distance you are zeroed to that distance until you zero to a different distance.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Ravenfood posted:

Ayup. The exception is that to get the first carbine/DMR/shotgun, you need to get to rank 3 of engineer/recon/support. Personally, I plan on getting DMRs unlocked by getting carbines, then just playing recon until then, then using another class to see whether DMRs are any good.

So, yesterday my performance was fine. Then suddenly this morning, its taken a poo poo. I keep getting wierd microstutters (often when I ADS) and for some reason every time I respawn it plays my death animation again. I rolled back the beta nvidia drivers, didn't get much improvement, so I'm reinstalling them. Did a clean reinstall of BF4, updated everything I could think of, and I can't get back to the performance I was having just yesterday. Pretty drat frustrating.

I also noticed my FPS taking a huge nose dive today compared to yesterday. I have no idea what happened, I don't think I updated anything. And having my game lurch and then suddenly someone appears right in front of me and I'm dead is...weirdly unsettling.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Finally fixed my stuttering and was able to play a solid round last night and this morning. Still getting used to the sprint acceleration but really loving the gun play. The guns feel like they have more weight and more punch.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Has anyone had an issue getting stuck on the Loading Screen? I hear the music and then I hear in game sounds but it never leaves the screen, tried alt+tabbing in an out then I finally have to quit it via task manager. I updated my nvidia drivers, checked most of the basic thing etc...

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

So to the people who have gotten their hands on the beta: How different is the game from 3? Like are the controls any different? Is Destruction improved, or is it still gimped?

Wasper fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 2, 2013

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Deeters posted:

Anyone else having to go to the pause menu to get their spawn screen up after they die?

Yeah I had that issue for a round yesterday but it went away. Also had the infinite loading screen but after trying a few different servers it went away too. For me at least these issues have been random and inconsistent, I wouldn't bother reinstalling windows just yet.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Battle-screen on dual monitor is loving incredible.

BF4 is just what BF3 should have been. It is a polished game, and hopefully it pays off and the game catches on.

Hopefully with the amount of spectator stuff they've added and how streaming is so prevalent league play will actually be viable/popular.

BF is still gonna be a niche game but I think watching pro teams in spectator mode streamed would be pretty badass in this when its done.

I'm just mainly glad they gave us a 32/64 player conquest map instead of that metro rush bullshit from BF3 beta.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Does this still use the weird vertical FOV? I left mine as the default but I have to play at 1360x768 on my TV so I don't know if I should adjust it from 70.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Super 3 posted:

Has anyone had an issue getting stuck on the Loading Screen? I hear the music and then I hear in game sounds but it never leaves the screen, tried alt+tabbing in an out then I finally have to quit it via task manager. I updated my nvidia drivers, checked most of the basic thing etc...

Yeh this happens every now and then. This sounds condescending, but this is a beta for servers as well as clients.
While playing with goons last night we experienced several server different problems. Sometimes all players would be booted, sometimes just half our squad in the same instant. To me, the loading screen problem hang seemed to be a server glitch because reconnecting to another host would work fine.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Riflen posted:

Yeh this happens every now and then. This sounds condescending, but this is a beta for servers as well as clients.
While playing with goons last night we experienced several server different problems. Sometimes all players would be booted, sometimes just half our squad in the same instant. To me, the loading screen problem hang seemed to be a server glitch because reconnecting to another host would work fine.

I got stuck as dead (respawn screen didn't come up), reloaded the game and I can no longer join any server. Before this the game ran really well without any particular problems or lag.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

When I fire up the battlescreen it drops me down to like 2fps. That makes sense.

Ok I still can't get it to load in.

I have moved the directx files, I have deleted the settings in my docs, I can't install punkbuster because reasons. The last time I did get it to load, it was with the battlescreen, and at 2fps, and right at match end, when the round ticked over I got stuck loading agian.

I played 3 matches in a row two days ago and haven't been able to get in since. What the hell...any other things I can try?

I'm on the current nvidia release drivers.

edit: also thanks loving game for recommending an empty server to me.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 2, 2013

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

lonter posted:

I got stuck as dead (respawn screen didn't come up), reloaded the game and I can no longer join any server. Before this the game ran really well without any particular problems or lag.

Not sure why you replied to my post, but there are lots of bugs surrounding the deploy screen, especially when you throw revives into the mix. I had to exit the game and rejoin several times yesterday because I was unable to deploy or redeploy.

For me, these problems always occurred because brought the options menu after death or even when I was just in a vehicle and wanted to check a setting.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

soy posted:

BF is still gonna be a niche game but I think watching pro teams in spectator mode streamed would be pretty badass in this when its done.

It sold over a million copies in a week. BF3 was not a niche game.

edit: It was over 5 million

Jalapeno0
Mar 9, 2013
Just wanted to point out that Dice has said that the beta client we are using is an older version than the one they are currently testing in house. Source: http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/09/this-is-the-bf4-beta

So people deciding to not buy this game because of their poor experience with the beta, chill...

They are just using us to test server balance and load in preparation for 10/29.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

lonter posted:

Update punkbuster, you get stuck loading forever with the out of date version from yesterday morning.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Jalapeno0 posted:

Just wanted to point out that Dice has said that the beta client we are using is an older version than the one they are currently testing in house. Source: http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/09/this-is-the-bf4-beta

So people deciding to not buy this game because of their poor experience with the beta, chill...

They are just using us to test server balance and load in preparation for 10/29.

Wait why would someone judge a final games technical aspects based on a beta? A beta can only show possible balance quirks, map layout, and other basic things.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Riflen posted:

No you're right and I completely acknowledge the beta title right now. It seemed somewhat common so went out on a limb to see if anyone had come up with a fix or work around.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Sputty posted:

It sold over a million copies in a week. BF3 was not a niche game.

edit: It was over 5 million

I think he means its a niche game for the MLG scene.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
For people who were having performance issues today that they were not having yesterday: try doing a clean install of the nVidia beta drivers. It was (seemingly) the thing that fixed it for me.

In other news, carbine recons are pretty good. When I lase things, i don't quite get the immediate hail of RPGs onto a target I was hoping, but then this map does have a shitton of buildings to block line of sight. Maybe I can get a squad of people together with 3 engineers, a support with the better ammo pack, and a recon to just endlessly lase/RPG everything that comes nearby. C4 is finicky and I haven't really had a good chance to use it yet, most drivers seem pretty alert and are good about letting you not get near them, to the point where I might actually run my recon with the PLA and wizballs (when I unlock them) instead of c4. I'm sure I will regret this later.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

I feel pretty lucky because so far my experience has been bug free except for some occasional drop in frames

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
C4 feels like it has a slightly longer delay between the trigger animation and the actual explosion. Though that might be due to the unoptimized netcode. (I get noticeably more "You drop dead instantly because all bullets seem to hit at once." deaths as well.) But C4 on a tank is still pretty effective. From the few tanks I blew up this way, it seems that one charge will usually at least get a mobility hit while the second one will usually kill the whole tank. Also, I think they might have reduced the radius of the explosion. I survived C4 detonations while standing pretty close to the tank without taking major damage.

Also, thanks to DoctorStrangelove for the post explaining how to use the airburst. Me happy dumdum now. :downs:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Aside from a glitch with punkbuster, the beta ran beautifully on my i7-3770k, GeForce GTX-760 with 2 gb RAM and 16 gb RAM. 1920x1080p, ultra quality, no noticeable dips in frame rate.

I also noticed I'm much worse at this than BF3. If anyone's looking to play, add Hizballin on Origin.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

I feel pretty lucky because so far my experience has been bug free except for some occasional drop in frames

Same. I feel like we are playing a different (good) game from most people it sucks. BUT the full version should clean up pretty nicely for a lot of those people I'm betting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I hope they surprise us and add that island map to rotation in the beta since that was one of the publicly demoed maps as well. I love how that storm that happens in that map looks. Also want to see how jets work with the new vehicle ammo mechanic.

• Locked thread