Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

jisforjosh posted:

Is it just me or do tank shells drop faster now? I also swear I was having rounds land just a bit right of the reticule.

Tank shells are pretty lovely right now and will most likely get fixed for release. It also looks like tank shells fire from under the tank because if you are next to any sort of waist high object you can't fire over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

So is there any fix for the black screen loading bug? Aside from the problem that it takes me 5 minutes to load the map, about 3/4 the time the game just freezes up and I have to end the process. Battlelog then tells me I was kicked from the game (I'm assuming some sort of auto-kick since my system wasn't responding?)

Also this thing runs like dogshit on my pc but I probably need to upgrade. Phenom x4 3ghz, 6970 2gb, 4gb ram.

edit: I've updated punkbuster, moved the .cab files, deleted the settings files (why on earth would this change anything?) and none of those fixed it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Broose posted:

Do pistols seem to be a bit less accurate this time around? At least when aiming it feels like they jump around more when firing.
No, M9 with flashlight, muzzle break and ghost ring is really loving powerful.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Lord Yod posted:

So is there any fix for the black screen loading bug? Aside from the problem that it takes me 5 minutes to load the map, about 3/4 the time the game just freezes up and I have to end the process. Battlelog then tells me I was kicked from the game (I'm assuming some sort of auto-kick since my system wasn't responding?)

Also this thing runs like dogshit on my pc but I probably need to upgrade. Phenom x4 3ghz, 6970 2gb, 4gb ram.

edit: I've updated punkbuster, moved the .cab files, deleted the settings files (why on earth would this change anything?) and none of those fixed it.

You ran PBSetup.exe? I just had to run that, add BF4 and then check for updates that way and I was golden

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Lord Yod posted:

rolling back to a previous driver is about the only other commonly posted solution

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Tarranon posted:

rolling back to a previous driver is about the only other commonly posted solution

I know this is working for nvidia, anyone with an ati card get better results on an older driver?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Yod posted:

I did everything yesterday. I updated my video card drivers, punk buster, moved things, verified install, checked for updates, restarted multiple times. Finally, I checked Windows Update, and apparently there was one critical update I was missing. I updated it, restarted, and it worked fine the rest of the night.

I don't know any reason why this would affect anything and I'm almost tempted to say it was just luck that everything began working afterward, but the worst you can do is spend a few minutes doing a Windows Update.

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

:qq: Freedom :qq:
Game's kind of growing on me. The choppaz are great.

Squad chat me 24/7: "GET IN DA CHOPPA"

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Admiral Snuggles posted:

Game's kind of growing on me. The choppaz are great.

Squad chat me 24/7: "GET IN DA CHOPPA"

I love the squad-chat system, but I really wish they would have implemented in-vehicle chat too. I can't talk to my passengers unless they're in my squad. :(

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
Can you customize the transport chopper or is it still a forgotten afterthought?

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Running around as a Recon + Engineer team and laser-RPGing helicopters is extremely effective at the moment, we could lock down the other team's air power on our own.

It's pretty great.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

Can you customize the transport chopper or is it still a forgotten afterthought?

You still cant and it infuriates me to no end.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
Dammit. Are they collecting feedback somewhere?

Need to write an angry old man writing to his senator style complaint about this.

Majere fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 2, 2013

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Maybe I'm having extra fun playing this because jets aren't in the map and nobody has had time yet to grind unlocks for poorly balanced superguns.
Some stray observations:
I've been rolling in MBTs all-day, err'day and ending up at the top of the server.
BASE jumping from the skyscraper is a pretty great mechanic for mobility in the map.
I haven't been seeing the BF3 effect from a lot of those maps where "every vehicle is gone because there aren't enough of them" to get across this massive map (suck it, every Armored Kill map)
To me, the vehicles at this stage in the beta are pretty good at their role of being a force multiplier. The tanks do their thing, and unless they're in a really bad spot or the chopper pilot is really great they don't get popped by choppers.
Infantry can avoid tanks entirely on this map if they're clever.
It feels like the tank shells don't kill infantry quite as quickly as they used to. With the ammo limiting mechanic, this means that tanks are no longer instant-death machines, and with the changes in the SMAW/RPGs they're easier to hit.
I saw someone float and park an amphibious LAV out in the bay and lock down the whole (crumbled) C tower point for 10 minutes. That was sort of obnoxious.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

You can change the paint job on it.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Reminder to everyone, be sure to click the "share this" on all your poo poo, otherwise I can't HOOAH! it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Good news for everybody who wants to do offensive platoon emblems! There will be no moderation regarding Battlefield 4 plattons in 2013. Why? Because Battlelog will not support platoons at launch.

:dice: posted:

If you’ve been playing the Battlefield 4 Beta, you might be wondering: “Where are the Platoons from Battlefield 3?” We are looking at introducing Platoons for Battlefield 4 in early 2014. We know this is a very popular feature for Battlefield players that have been used by thousands of fans, and as such we are preparing to bring it back into Battlefield 4. As we do this, we’re also very eager to hear what new functions you would like to see. Battlelog has always been an organic service that constantly changes and grows together with you, the community – so please; share your thoughts on the BF4 forums! We’ll be able to share more of our plans for the upcoming Battlefield 4 Platoons feature later.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

My question about this always is, what is there to customize? Especially in the current state of beta, there's really not much functionality you can add to a well-coordinated t-heli without making it ridiculously godlike. You have x2 miniguns that utterly shred enemy helis and light armor (MRAPs/boats), you have possibly the best survivability in the game with 2x engies+flares, and if there's 1-2 recons on the ground worth poo poo-all, you've got an RPG sticking out each side to slam anything that gets painted.

It would be cool to have the ability to mount rocket pods SOAR-style, but that'd just make it ludicrously powerful.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Naturally Selected posted:

My question about this always is, what is there to customize?

Can you customize the paint job like other vehicles?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

My question about this always is, what is there to customize? Especially in the current state of beta, there's really not much functionality you can add to a well-coordinated t-heli without making it ridiculously godlike. You have x2 miniguns that utterly shred enemy helis and light armor (MRAPs/boats), you have possibly the best survivability in the game with 2x engies+flares, and if there's 1-2 recons on the ground worth poo poo-all, you've got an RPG sticking out each side to slam anything that gets painted.

It would be cool to have the ability to mount rocket pods SOAR-style, but that'd just make it ludicrously powerful.

They have actually way limited the life span of most helis because damage now fucks up your controls a lot. Engineers can't repair the heli when it goes and jihads into a building

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I'm glad you can't customize the transport chopper because that means all the points you earn in it go to your class progression. This morning I did nothing but fly guys around and cap points and racked up 5k points for my support. So if you don't want to grind something through playing it just fly that chopper around.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Mr.Citrus posted:

They have actually way limited the life span of most helis because damage now fucks up your controls a lot. Engineers can't repair the heli when it goes and jihads into a building

It's easier to recover from getting disabled though, especially with the gyro-stabilizer. The status goes away after a while if you can manage to keep control. I've survived most of my disables except when I was too close to the ground.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Still desperate for a solution here. My 25 Mbps connection can only get 80 KB/sec on Origin downloads. I've searched high and low and while many, many people have this issue there doesn't seem to be any way to fix it unless someone here has an idea.

At this rate I might be literally unable to play this.

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy

Carbon Deity posted:

Still desperate for a solution here. My 25 Mbps connection can only get 80 KB/sec on Origin downloads. I've searched high and low and while many, many people have this issue there doesn't seem to be any way to fix it unless someone here has an idea.

At this rate I might be literally unable to play this.

The only thing I can think of is that your ISP is blocking a port. I don't even have an idea what Origin uses for downloads. Is it P2P?

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

It would be awesome if you could get the passive unlocks that the other choppers get. Air radar in particular would be great. Some sort of look down camera or something to make hot landings easier would be fantastic as well.

I definitely agree that they're a bit to survivable at the moment though.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

Well I meant defensive options like ECM jammer instead of useless flares, air radar or proximity scan. It sucks that 1 guy with a stinger can fire every 4 seconds while your countermeasures take 12 seconds and its too slow to get out of a stingers 80 mile range in time.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Countermeasures are 25 seconds for aircraft now, so I hope you passed geometry.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lord Yod posted:

It would be awesome if you could get the passive unlocks that the other choppers get. Air radar in particular would be great. Some sort of look down camera or something to make hot landings easier would be fantastic as well.

I definitely agree that they're a bit to survivable at the moment though.

Didn't think about stuff like the lookdown camera, to be honest. I don't think their survivability is too high right now, though-it's the single most involved vehicle in the game. The reason for that is simple: no other vehicle is as dependent on having a full communicating squad as the heli.

Well I meant defensive options like ECM jammer instead of useless flares, air radar or proximity scan. It sucks that 1 guy with a stinger can fire every 4 seconds while your countermeasures take 12 seconds and its too slow to get out of a stingers 80 mile range in time.

A pair of engies can out-repair the damage a stinger does between hits, plus now that you have directional indicators for the lock and literally tons of buildings to hide behind, I've yet to see a heli get taken down or even seriously inconvenienced by a stinger engie. Now, when you're getting slammed by the enemy attack helo that's good enough to stay out of the miniguns' arc, and have an engie or two firing stingers at it, you're pretty much SOL if you can't shake at least half of those things. By my count, though, 4 people plus an air asset hunting you isn't something you should survive unless you're drat good or lucky. Not to mention that a good transport pilot will slip broadsides to an enemy helo and shred it to bits in a couple of seconds, anyways.

Edit: these are the current realities though. We'll see how much of a hilarious sitting duck it will become on the more open maps. In shanghai, though, the TH is king.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 2, 2013

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wait why would someone judge a final games technical aspects based on a beta? A beta can only show possible balance quirks, map layout, and other basic things.
And crippling bugs/performance issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBZ_wlY9cxA

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I've yet to see a heli get taken down or even seriously inconvenienced by a stinger engie.

I've yet to see a Stinger get fired in the BF4 beta.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

As I mentioned earlier, a locked-on RPG will one-shot both types of helicopter, so they are not hard to deal with. The hardest part is finding a recon who ever uses the laser.

Stingers are actually terrible in comparison. You can use them solo, but it seems like even two direct hits isn't enough.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I saw a chopper get taken out by C as it was falling, otherwise I haven't seen one destroyed.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I've yet to see a Stinger get fired in the BF4 beta.

I've been using the stinger today and while it's fun it just doesn't compare to the utility of the RPG.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
This really just feels like Battlefield 3: More Maps and Vehicles, rather than a new game. No way I'm spending $60 on this. I'll definitely wait until half-off sale at least.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Lord Yod posted:

I've been using the stinger today and while it's fun it just doesn't compare to the utility of the RPG.

I'm pleased with how easy it is to ping choppers with the RPG now. I've had maybe 3 multikills involving clown-car transport heli kills with that thing. I've had way more Battlefield (tm) moments in the beta than I had in all of my BF3 career.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm pleased with how easy it is to ping choppers with the RPG now. I've had maybe 3 multikills involving clown-car transport heli kills with that thing. I've had way more Battlefield (tm) moments in the beta than I had in all of my BF3 career.

Battlefield moments (tm) definitely happen much more often here. Had an amazing one earlier today-sky diving across the river from the skyscraper between D and E, emptied an XM25 mag at a group of enemies trying to cap C, killing them all. Land close to the opposite shore and immediately get run over by a jetski. :laugh:

This game is going to be so drat fun. Can't wait to get an eotech/mag setup on the SCAR. :getin:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SERPUS posted:

This really just feels like Battlefield 3: More Maps and Vehicles, rather than a new game. No way I'm spending $60 on this. I'll definitely wait until half-off sale at least.

This is pretty much how I feel. I might grab this when you can get it + premium for a big discount.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Stanley Pain posted:

This is pretty much how I feel. I might grab this when you can get it + premium for a big discount.

I'm also of this mindset. The demo didn't perform well or offer much over 3, and having origin straight up ask for a $110 preorder is absurd.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Liquid Penguins posted:

I'm also of this mindset. The demo didn't perform well or offer much over 3, and having origin straight up ask for a $110 preorder is absurd.
Where is this demo you speak of? Also who the hell was asked to pay $110 for pre-order?

Edit: vvv But that isn't necessary for the beta or to preorder for that matter.

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

Where is this demo you speak of? Also who the hell was asked to pay $110 for pre-order?

50 for the game, 60 for premium.

• Locked thread