Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pretty sure non premium members/people that didn't preorder will have access to the beta on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Anyone know when the unwashed will be allowed to download this?

4th.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Sorry meant time zones, i've got three weeks off so going to dedicate some decent time to this.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It was 9am UK for me on the 1st (too play). So possibly the same tomorrow?

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Sorry meant time zones, i've got three weeks off so going to dedicate some decent time to this.

Origin will show you the exact time it will unlock for your timezone. The official site doesn't say, probably for that reason. Someone in here without early access will have to help you.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Cheers guys.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Symthic just published statistics for BF4 Beta. What I'm taking from this is that none of the information available in-game or on battlelog is accurate in any way.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 3, 2013

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Jesus, this runs like rear end. I'm running low settings and barely get more than 60fps whereas in BF3 I ran ultra with no problems. I wonder how much optimizing they actually can do between now and release.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

bronin posted:

Jesus, this runs like rear end. I'm running low settings and barely get more than 60fps whereas in BF3 I ran ultra with no problems. I wonder how much optimizing they actually can do between now and release.

Lots by the sound of it.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

bronin posted:

In my opinion there is a giant memory leak somewhere. Playing after a fresh reboot gives good performance for a while, but it begins to hitch again after a time, or I could be running too close to my VRAM limit but I don't think that's the case. SLI seems to also not work very well at all.

One problem is that the tools people use to show component performance overlays don't yet support 64-bit games, so there's no way to easily tell what's going on with your system during play.

"Johan Andersson ‏@repi 1 Oct
The #BF4 PC beta is a beta, not all graphics options are hooked up or tweaked yet and performance is not final. But please do test the game"

So some graphics settings don't even do anything in the beta. This explains a lot.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

This isn't a performance beta, they are stress testing the actual server software.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If it was any other game saying that performance of the beta does not match up with the build for release, I would call bullshit, but with the BF3 beta that was definitely the case. Release was significantly better.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure there are some memory leaks in the server software as well. There's a gradual decline in server performance as well as memory leaks in the client.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

They really need to put a flag up on the rooftop at C on Domination with all the fucktards congregating up there all the time.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The RFB absolutely needs canted sights+Ay-Sea-Oh-Gee scope and angled grip to be useful. But once it gets that it's a very good weapon.

And don't use the HB with it, but why anyone would but the HB on a DMR is beyond me.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

If it was any other game saying that performance of the beta does not match up with the build for release, I would call bullshit, but with the BF3 beta that was definitely the case. Release was significantly better.
Yep. Weirdly, every server I've been in has several people immediately shut down complainers with this same information.

Also, remember that for vehicle/infantry balance, we essentially have the most powerful infantry combination (PLD + RPG should be the most damaging and deadly combination, according to that video about launchers they announced a while ago) while vehicles are currently severely limited in their options. Even something like thermal optics could make a huge difference for tankers, for instance. For helis, all they really need to do is make the RPG give a firing tone and it should be fine, at least on this map with its ridiculous LoS clearing areas.

I can see stingers being useful against jets, for instance, since unless you're well coordinated, a recon/engi pair might not be able to lock and fire before the jet clears the area. Also, check out your vehicle customization tab, jets appear to have been split to "stealth jets" and "attack jets" (so hopefully, the former is A2A-oriented and the latter A2G).

edit:

mcbexx posted:

They really need to put a flag up on the rooftop at C on Domination with all the fucktards congregating up there all the time.
Yeah, if I'm approaching that area on Conquest, the first thing I do is take that southern elevator to the roof and approach it from there. Why DICE thought adding a single ladder in the exact same location as the already easily-defended elevator was enough, I don't know. Need at least a few ramps/rubble up that way.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 3, 2013

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Levelcap made a good point about rooftops. If you watch his video from pre release (I forget exactly which one) the remote mortar is brutal (he reckoned it was seriously OP).

Even if it's toned down, rooftop campers will get blasted by it. It's just a combination of people not knowing the maps well and not all of the weapons being unlocked.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Having the RPG+PLD be effective against helicopters, but unable to hit jets would make the most sense. That would still give stingers a use.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

What is the point of having any of the other launchers when the RPG does the most damage and can lock on to soflamed targets?

Dec 30, 2008
I got an email saying "As a Battlefield 3 Premium member, you’re invited to try out an early version of Battlefield 4" even though I'm not a BF3 premium member. I did participated briefly in the BF3 beta, but only own the game due to the Sim City debacle. Did everybody else get this or am I special?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sandweed posted:

What is the point of having any of the other launchers when the RPG does the most damage and can lock on to soflamed targets?
You know how its sometimes hard to get a pubbie to use a laser when they pretty much have to have one now? How many people will carry a laser, or use it, when its competing with their beloved spawn beacon, claymores, C4, and wizballs? It means that you'd have to specifically know that you've got a recon, relatively near you, who is planning on using the PLD. It'll never happen in pub play. And while the RPG is good, I can see a lot of people preferring the lower-damage, higher ease of use options (though seriously, why would you use the SMAW? The RPG barely drops as-is)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Guest posted:

I got an email saying "As a Battlefield 3 Premium member, you’re invited to try out an early version of Battlefield 4" even though I'm not a BF3 premium member. I did participated briefly in the BF3 beta, but only own the game due to the Sim City debacle. Did everybody else get this or am I special?

Origin/EA is sending that poo poo to everyone at the moment. I got one telling me to go to my Origin account and start downloading the beta, but no beta appeared. Then I realized that the system tracks that I have premium but not the fact that I have it on the Xbox and not the PC.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Judging by what DICE devs have said, they forked the tradeshow/beta build around E3 and have haphazardly backported only parts of their work since then into that fork. Why they don't just set up a special build of the main development branch that only builds multiplayer and the one beta map I have no idea.

Oh yeah, :dice:

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

I don't understand why you wouldn't use the PLD, to be honest.

Even if you ignore the lasing part, it still instantly shows you where every single person in front of you is. The range on that heat vision (and you can zoom it in!) is ridiculous.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

:allears:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lazyfire posted:

I have it on the Xbox.

I think you have learned your lesson then. ;)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

When C starts to go down, do you get any warning? I was on top and figured I would be able to jump off, but it instantly kills you when it starts moving...It should dump you off to the side and let you try to parachute away.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm waiting for BF4 to show up on PS+ since BF3 did.

Elendil004 posted:

When C starts to go down, do you get any warning? I was on top and figured I would be able to jump off, but it instantly kills you when it starts moving...It should dump you off to the side and let you try to parachute away.

The building starts to shake and you hear supports under you crushing. Warning beeps like fire alarms and such go off and that gives you a notice to get the hell outta there.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tathris posted:

Even if you ignore the lasing part, it still instantly shows you where every single person in front of you is. The range on that heat vision (and you can zoom it in!) is ridiculous.

It's also an insane XP generating device. There's a good bit of satisfaction lasing a target and watching it blow up.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Tathris posted:

Exactly. Especially when the tower falls and you can't see poo poo. I starting actively lasing air vehicles when a pubbie asked for it. He was so grateful in chat, then several other people took advantage, and the assists were rolling in.

The reason the beta is such an old build is because of certification. I actually feel they will lose purchases because the performance is so poor, and most people can't envision such a performance bump in less than a month.

Anyone actually got the minimap to show on the iPad? I have it showing I'm on a server, but that's as far as I get.

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 3, 2013

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

The reason the beta is such an old build is because of certification. I actually feel they will lose purchases because the performance is so poor, and most people can't envision such a performance bump in less than a month.

I actually remember saying this during the last beta.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Tathris posted:

I'm torn about the PLD. It's amazing and it has so much utility. But I'll eventually unlock the bucky-balls and then I'll not know which one I should use.

Also I'm impressed that DICE actually made Recon be useful, fun and unique this time. BF3 recon kinda got shafted when it came to all the cool toys.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Someone at EA says that the PC build is actually pretty fresh. It would make sense if all of the smooth running demonstration PCs at E3 and Gamescoms ran builds specifically optimized for their hardware.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Huh, I just received a ton of master dog tags at the end of a round, some for weapons that aren't even in the beta yet. Hooray, I guess?

Screenshot? And/or battlelog id if applicable?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

It's also an insane XP generating device. There's a good bit of satisfaction lasing a target and watching it blow up.
Especially when an attack helo makes a run on your target. That's like a nice 350-450 experience right there. :allears:

Tathris posted:

Because while the spotting is great, I also can't imagine not wanting wizballs at all times, thanks to BC2. But I also want C4, because...C4. That said, if I can get enough of my friends together, I'm honestly thinking I'd prefer the PLD and wizballs. Let someone else blow poo poo up. If I can get a good helo pilot/gunner on teamspeak or something, it would just be magical.

Elendil004 posted:

The floor tilts noticeably enough before it instakills you that if you're paying attention, you have enough time to run for the edge.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I haven't played around in Battlelog enough yet or looked into the details, but will the "loadout" set up for BF4 pretty much be the same as it was for BF3? That is, you can have one pre-set loadout for each class via BL, but that's it? I'm really liking the game so far, but one of things I hated the most was not being able to just click on an "Assault 2" or whatever M16A3/FAMAS pre-set when hellmaps like Grand Bazaar or Metro came up and switch away from my usual AN-94 + Grenade Launcher set up.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hadlock posted:

Screenshot? And/or battlelog id if applicable?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/mcbexxx/dogtags/261118065/1/

Click Right, then scroll down to weapons.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
If wizard balls showed enemy soldiers on the map to everyone on your team then yeah I'd be excited for it. But right now I'm loving the SOFLAM/Quick Spotter/Range Finder. I wish my sniping buddy from Arma wasn't too disappointing in the game or once the game comes out I bet we would go around as a sniper spotter combo.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Stanley Pain posted:

Talking with people playing the beta on the 360 it sounds like a worse mess than what people are complaining about here. Textures won't load for a couple rounds, the game looks worse than BF3 did, and the controls are different enough to be confusing.

This weekend is going to be drinking and PC BF4 beta if it actually works by Friday, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I got the same ones on a server I was on at some point.

• Locked thread