Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
After a bunch of failed attempts I've managed to start it three times now. The first time my character had reset (completely blank slate and no points on anything) after recreating my character for the third time and starting the online the mission marker the character is supposed to enter automatically was GONE. I had to exit via the dashboard since I couldn't even us the start button. The third time I got to "loading session" before the first race but ten minutes later I still hadn't joined it. Never mind server issues. This is just shoddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Whoever said in the last thread this would be a SimCity level disaster if it wasn't a GTA game was right. All the media is just giving it a free pass. Reviewing the game when none of the media got to play a major portion of the game yet gave it 100/100 anyway? GTA Online is not free it was 60 dollars.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
SimCity, Diablo 3, GTAO, UbiSoft's DRM, what else was cloud or similarly stupid in recent years? At least GTAO is just the multiplayer part and not the whole game. (They should still have run the tests they were well able to on their hardware, their connections and most importantly their freaking code. How the hell do you not simulate stress and connections even the slightest?)

rizuhbull posted:

I'm a little bummed many of the characters look like this. I mean the general face structure.. I'm also pretty sure everyone's height and weight are the same, the gender is likely the only variable there.

I've only been able to make tall Conaness the Barbarianess women that Lamar physically looks up to and super small "you tiny in real life" males. It feels very busted.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 4, 2013

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

SimCity, Diablo 3, GTAO, UbiSoft's DRM, what else was cloud or similarly stupid in recent years? At least GTAO is just the multiplayer part and not the whole game.

I've only been able to make tall Conaness the Barbarianess women that Lamar physically looks up to and super small "you tiny in real life" males. It feels very busted.

Hopefully they'll allow us to remake our characters down the road without losing our stats and so on.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
OK it seems like the reason the mission marker didn't show up was because I tried the solo mode. So because I chose solo mode I can't do the first mission, a race against an AI? What the gently caress. I've tried the mode twice with the same outcome.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

cheesetriangles posted:

Whoever said in the last thread this would be a SimCity level disaster if it wasn't a GTA game was right. All the media is just giving it a free pass.

That's honestly making me the most mad. I'll be pissed at losing progress and other stupid things, but people doing this "Well they SAID there'd be problems :rolleyes:" bull are more grating than any of that. Them saying ahead of time there might be issues really doesn't excuse the game being virtually unplayable for a couple of days, constantly eating progress if not wholly resetting it and the other terribly stupid things.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Another tip that might help people get in if you're getting stuck at the first race is to launch a solo session and go from there, it seems to skip the matchmaking for that mission which is probably getting hammered and you just race lamar. After that race everything should work fine. That's how I got past it last night and my roommate just did now. Both of us are on ps3.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I'm on PS3, Lords and Ladies. I got up to rank 5 or 6, enough to buy a micro Uzi.

The best moment so far was coming up to a liquor store with fellow goon chodadog intending to kill a pubbie, when I immediately shot chodadog in the head. :doh: Its like autoaim went right for his head.

So far so good. My psn name is supercake.

Arturo Robusto
May 10, 2003

i do appreciate it but i have no use for weapons my fists pack one million volts

lady blue shanghai posted:

How do you switch? I picked a really bad car (I think it's a hybrid) but when I take something else to LCS my only option is to sell it :confused:

You have to repair it first, then as long as it's not one of the premium ones just buy the tracker and it will replace your other poo poo if you don't have a garage.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

:doh: Its like autoaim went right for his head.

I don't really get this either, there's been like a dozen times where the auto aim jumps right onto my crew dude or friend's face to my side, instead of the drat guy trying to kill me front and center. :mad:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

About where on the map is the hospital helicopter spawn at anyway?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

ProfessorGroove posted:

Another tip that might help people get in if you're getting stuck at the first race is to launch a solo session and go from there, it seems to skip the matchmaking for that mission which is probably getting hammered and you just race lamar. After that race everything should work fine. That's how I got past it last night and my roommate just did now. Both of us are on ps3.

That is how I got past it two days ago, as well.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Whoever said in the last thread this would be a SimCity level disaster if it wasn't a GTA game was right. All the media is just giving it a free pass. Reviewing the game when none of the media got to play a major portion of the game yet gave it 100/100 anyway? GTA Online is not free it was 60 dollars.

The reviews were all for the singleplayer game exclusively though so it's a bit unfair to suggest people should of reviewed it for a feature which didn't exist at the time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

About where on the map is the hospital helicopter spawn at anyway?

It's the hospital near the strip club, a little to the south east of it if I remember right.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
GTA Online is nowhere near the levels of SimCity yet. SimCity didn't work for about 3 weeks and they had to disable just about every feature to get to that point, and by then people realized there wasn't even a game under all the DRM. The fact a lot of people are starting to get in after 2 days already puts it way ahead of SimCity's launch.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

marktheando posted:

It's the hospital near the strip club, a little to the south east of it if I remember right.

Thanks.

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.
I've been playing all day on Xbox with some goons and some random dudes. Beza, that playlist was a kicking rad time! I got to about 30k and haven't bothered to do many of the NPC missions, just running from cops with some buds.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

NoneSuch posted:

The reviews were all for the singleplayer game exclusively though so it's a bit unfair to suggest people should of reviewed it for a feature which didn't exist at the time.

Reviewing half a product is a lovely thing to do. I couldn't just buy single player for 30 dollars. They are the same game in the same package for the same price.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Reviewing half a product is a lovely thing to do. I couldn't just buy single player for 30 dollars. They are the same game in the same package for the same price.

Yeah, that 30 hour single player campaign sure felt like half a game

Literacy Is Dead
Apr 3, 2007

Phonics? Overrated.
I'm looking for anyone that is relatively intelligent to play with. PSN is LiteracyIsDead. Please by my friend.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

The singleplayer is like easily 30-40 hours of content and yea by itself it deserves to be full priced and highly reviewed.

edit - Not that I'm saying the state of multiplayer is okay! I've not even bothered trying to make a character yet, I've just been watching my friend struggle with all the connection problems, but it's not the end of the world as there's so much singleplayer left.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 4, 2013

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Has anyone seen a good guide to the Properties? (Aside from the in game website?)

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Hey sperg lords - chill out and just don't play the game for a few days. Most of you likely have no idea how load balancing and stress testing works so stop assuming you know what Rockstar did or didn't do right. They were seriously damned if they do/don't with this release.

They SHOULD have done regional rollouts. That's the only way they could have truly stress tested the system and made fixes before introducing hundreds of thousand of more players. There is no way to accurately "simulate ~2 million connections". Things like this will always fail at first especially when a company who has never hosted an MMO gives it their first shot.

And stop comparing it to SimCity! You can play the single player in this game JUST FINE! Hours and hours of the same GTA we've enjoyed for almost 20 years. SimCity I paid $60 for and could not play by myself for over a week. Get a grip, goons!

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.
Welp, my guy is still missing after 24 hours. Has anyone found a magic way to bring him back? I tried deleting the patch. Xbox 360.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Literacy Is Dead posted:

I'm looking for anyone that is relatively intelligent to play with. PSN is LiteracyIsDead. Please by my friend.

I'd invite and get tactical with you in survival and free roam if I was able to get on. Survival opens at level 15 and lower level players can be invited, enemies come in waves, vehicles at third or fourth, attack helicopters at fourth or fifth going by the one I played against a bunch of random hillbillies at a scrap yard, real good time even solo, rewarding at the same time it hones ones skills real well.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Hmmm I can't seem to join any 1001-1009 sessions but there's heaps of people online. This sucks! I guess ill solo for a bit and make some cash and levels.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

VarXX posted:

Yeah, that 30 hour single player campaign sure felt like half a game

Doesn't excuse the broke dick state of the current multiplayer. Even more so with how hyped it and how much of a pre-release focus it had. I remember GameInformer had a pretty big article, a bunch of youtube videos, and quite a few gaming sites going on about how great it was. Rockstar also making the choice to include micro-transactions specifically for multiplayer means that (at least in my eyes) they want to make it a pretty big part of the game.

It's cool that you got a euphoric 30 hours out of the single player. I got about 20 with a good part of it feeling kind of forced and tedious with some characters just literally not making any sense at times. Is 20 hours still a good amount of play time? Of course it is. But it doesn't make right that Rockstar is either woefully under prepared with servers, or make bone head choices like a tutorial with forced match making. You can't even do a solo session with out the game making GBS threads it's self.

Edit: Oh yeah and also eating characters too. That's just a whole 'nother level of baffling incompetence. I think they may of gone with the cloud solution to reduce people hacking and making Micro transactions worthless, but it just seems like so much more of a hassle then it's worth.

Moochewmoo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 4, 2013

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Can you have an apartment and a separate garage at the same time or are you limited to one piece of property? I know you can only have one apartment at a time.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013

marktheando posted:

Can you have an apartment and a separate garage at the same time or are you limited to one piece of property? I know you can only have one apartment at a time.

I think it's only one piece of property. When I purchased my apartment, it sold my garage automatically.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Moochewmoo posted:

Doesn't excuse the broke dick state of the current multiplayer. Even more so with how hyped it and how much of a pre-release focus it had. I remember GameInformer had a pretty big article, a bunch of youtube videos, and quite a few gaming sites going on about how great it was. Rockstar also making the choice to include micro-transactions specifically for multiplayer means that (at least in my eyes) they want to make it a pretty big part of the game.

It's cool that you got a euphoric 30 hours out of the single player. I got about 20 with a good part of it feeling kind of forced and tedious with some characters just literally not making any sense at times. Is 20 hours still a good amount of play time? Of course it is. But it doesn't make right that Rockstar is either woefully under prepared with servers, or make bone head choices like a tutorial with forced match making. You can't even do a solo session with out the game making GBS threads it's self.

Except they said ahead of time that there would be issues! The main issues right now aren't even the server load, there's bugs in the server and client software that are causing most of the issues with online, most likely ones that you can't detect in a closed beta environment, hence why we're getting a title update tomorrow.

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

marktheando posted:

limited to one piece of property. If you have an old one when upgrading you sell your current one for half price, at least with the 29k garage I used to have it worked this way.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

It's sad seeing the potential squandered. I want tense heists with a crew of others that are genuinely difficult (in time taken and execution) to pull off and rewarding. This game could be what Payday and Kane & Lynch should've always been.

Still has a great single-player though, so not too bummed.

VarXX posted:

Except they said ahead of time that there would be issues! The main issues right now aren't even the server load, there's bugs in the server and client software that are causing most of the issues with online, most likely ones that you can't detect in a closed beta environment
Except a warning doesn't justify it. At the end of the day, it's still a lovely act. The only good that might've come from that is lowering the player's expectations. Saying "I'm gonna poo poo on your lawn" is still an rear end in a top hat move regardless. I think a moderate amount of disdain is appropriate. Joining one side or the other is really dumb. Some people need to put it into perspective.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nice one, thanks.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

VarXX posted:

Except they said ahead of time that there would be issues! The main issues right now aren't even the server load, there's bugs in the server and client software that are causing most of the issues with online, most likely ones that you can't detect in a closed beta environment, hence why we're getting a title update tomorrow.

I understand they said there would be issues. It's honestly really cool and amazingly straight forward of them to say that as well.

But it doesn't excuse the completely broken state of the multiplayer. I mean I understand we disagree on this, but even when I go into say a Alpha/Beta on steam I expect *some* level of functionality.

I'm looking forward to the title update but I'm kind of apprehensive about whether or not it will fix things. If they had so many years to do this ahead of time what did 3 days get them? It's just baffling to me given their pedigree.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Moochewmoo posted:

I understand they said there would be issues. It's honestly really cool and amazingly straight forward of them to say that as well.

But it doesn't excuse the completely broken state of the multiplayer. I mean I understand we disagree on this, but even when I go into say a Alpha/Beta on steam I expect *some* level of functionality.

I'm looking forward to the title update but I'm kind of apprehensive about whether or not it will fix things. If they had so many years to do this ahead of time what did 3 days get them? It's just baffling to me given their pedigree.

Except when it's an issue that only shows up when 100,000 people are playing at once, it's impossible to really prepare for that

rizuhbull posted:

Except a warning doesn't justify it. At the end of the day, it's still a lovely act. The only good that might've come from that is lowering the player's expectations. Saying "I'm gonna poo poo on your lawn" is still an rear end in a top hat move regardless. I think a moderate amount of disdain is appropriate. Joining one side or the other is really dumb. Some people need to put it into perspective.

I don't think saying "hey, we sold waaaay more copies than we ever could have imagined so there might be some issues" is the same as saying "I'm going to poo poo in your lawn"

Shoobis
Nov 10, 2009

Moochewmoo posted:

If they had so many years to do this ahead of time what did 3 days get them?

a million people playing at once

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

They didn't do tests that could have been done internally. They also aren't saying anything about the status of GTAO where a normal person or a player of the game ould be able to find it. The vast majority of customers will have a bad experience with GTAO and call it an unfinished mess. The few who read internet and gaming news will find out, maybe, that it's been said by R* that it's going to break a bunch.

It should be declared in-game as a beta bound to experience issues. It's another dumb thing that there isn't anything of that.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

VarXX posted:

Except when it's an issue that only shows up when 100,000 people are playing at once, it's impossible to really prepare for that

Yeah I don't buy that at all. I've generally had good experience with say the Modern Warfare/Black Ops games, Left 4 Dead seemed to handle it okay, Final Fantasy did okay from my understanding though I wasn't around for the release it's self.

poo poo even CCP can handle some absurd amount of players in one system at a time. There's no excuse for Rockstar to be this woefully under prepared.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

They didn't do tests that could have been done internally. They also aren't saying anything about the status of GTAO where a normal person or a player of the game ould be able to find it. The vast majority of customers will have a bad experience with GTAO and call it an unfinished mess. The few who read internet and gaming news will find out, maybe, that it's been said by R* that it's going to break a bunch.

It should be declared in-game as a beta bound to experience issues. It's another dumb thing that there isn't anything of that.

Except you can't test what 100,000 people attempting to connect at once will do to your code internally

Moochewmoo posted:

Yeah I don't buy that at all. I've generally had good experience with say the Modern Warfare/Black Ops games, Left 4 Dead seemed to handle it okay, Final Fantasy did okay from my understanding though I wasn't around for the release it's self.

poo poo even CCP can handle some absurd amount of players in one system at a time. There's no excuse for Rockstar to be this woefully under prepared.

GTA 5 sold waaay more copies than any other call of duty. And no, CCP can't handle it without causing the game to run at 10% it's normal speed. It also took CCP years to even do that

Either way, you don't have to buy it, that's just how these things work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Just had my first jets vs dirtbikes. We replayed it five times. I honestly don't know which side was more fun.

fake edit: I think the Sentinel XS is available as a first car and that's one of the good ones

• Locked thread