Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

prefect posted:

I'm not so sure that "Flee before me, worms!" really counts as "acting like a ranger". (It's awesome, though. :allears:)

Aren't worms vermin in D&D?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Wherein The Order of the Stick demonstrates, singularly and collectively, exactly why you do not gently caress with high-level adventurers :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do think it's interesting that this is the first time in a long while we've really gotten a feel for the OotS's relative combat capabilities. They've been outclassed so regularly that it's hard to remember that like five of them can quite literally fight an army.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So this would be the second time Belkar has ever had karma work in his favor?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

I do think it's interesting that this is the first time in a long while we've really gotten a feel for the OotS's relative combat capabilities. They've been outclassed so regularly that it's hard to remember that like five of them can quite literally fight an army.

Roy just got chomped by a T-rex and it seems to have merely inconvenienced him.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I'll bet that this will end up being their ride out of here, like how they used the worm earlier in the book.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm worried because Belkar is now clearly visible.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

wdarkk posted:

I'm worried because Belkar is now clearly visible.

That was my thought too. What happens in DnD to the handled animal when the controller dies or is disabled? Run amok?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

He's visible, yes, but he's also protected by a Stoneskin spell that should protect him from anything short of Tarquin, Miron, or Laurin taking a shot at him.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

jng2058 posted:

He's visible, yes, but he's also protected by a Stoneskin spell that should protect him from anything short of Tarquin, Miron, or Laurin taking a shot at him.

No he's not. Just Protection from Arrows.

One lucky guy with a sword is all it would take.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Re: no xp

:words: incoming

I'm years behind my 3.5 days, so I don't have the same grasp of the rules that I used to, but isn't it possible to get XP from lower level things if you base the XP off of the entire encounter instead of tallying up individual enemies? Using this old Encounter Calculator (Which doesn't allow for such a thing if it exists) I can determine that if your average party is say, 20.8th level (Guessing at their levels here, but that's x5 16th level characters and x1 24th ECL for Durkon) and you're fighting (Just throwing these numbers out there) one thousand CR 1/2, four-hundred CR 1, one-hundred CR 2, fifty CR 3, twenty-five CR 4, and five CR 5 monsters, your paycheck that day should be 85,875 GP (And 1 SP.) The level of the encounter is 20.8. So if it's considered to be as difficult as say, fighting five other 16th level characters and one 13th level one, and you still get paid exactly the same, why would you only get XP in the latter case? (Except for Durkon, who gets no XP in either case.)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

No he's not. Just Protection from Arrows.

One lucky guy with a sword is all it would take.

Huh, you're right. I coulda sworn it was Stoneskin. :shrug:

Still, the fact that he's out of reach of any melee schmucks who would be brave enough to close on the T-Rex (which given the splash panel doesn't appear to be ANY) should still make him safe enough to anyone save Tarquin (or Miron or Laurin, neither of whom seem willing to get invovled).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

jng2058 posted:

Huh, you're right. I coulda sworn it was Stoneskin. :shrug:

V did cast Stoneskin, but on himself and Blackwing before he flew up and started raining arcane death on Tarquin's men.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Zogundar posted:

average party is say, 20.8th level (Guessing at their levels here, but that's x5 16th level characters and x1 24th ECL for Durkon)

How the hell did you average five sixteens and a twenty-four and come up with 20.8? The average of that is actually 17 1/3.

But your point is a salient, if spergy, one. By the rules, there's no reason why a high-level party can't be challenged by a large number of low-level things. Of course, any competent DM knows that they can't actually be challenged by mooks who couldn't touch their AC with a ten-foot pole.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

DontMockMySmock posted:

How the hell did you average five sixteens and a twenty-four and come up with 20.8? The average of that is actually 17 1/3.

He divided by 5 instead of 6.

Akrabbim
Aug 10, 2003
It means 'scorpion' in Hebrew, and rhymes with 'bakrabbim'. Don't even ask...

DontMockMySmock posted:

But your point is a salient, if spergy, one. By the rules, there's no reason why a high-level party can't be challenged by a large number of low-level things. Of course, any competent DM knows that they can't actually be challenged by mooks who couldn't touch their AC with a ten-foot pole.

Didn't they mention this in the battle on Azure City? Wasn't one of the Paladins saying that, even though they're all low level, they all at least have a 5% chance to hit. Sure, they may only do a point or two of damage, but there are THOUSANDS of goblins out there. Thus, they'd be taken down by attrition.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Akrabbim posted:

Didn't they mention this in the battle on Azure City? Wasn't one of the Paladins saying that, even though they're all low level, they all at least have a 5% chance to hit. Sure, they may only do a point or two of damage, but there are THOUSANDS of goblins out there. Thus, they'd be taken down by attrition.

That's true in some cases but not in all. Durkon has DR 10/silver and fast healing 10. While there may theoretically exist a number of i.e. 5th level fighters that could kill him that number is so ridiculously high as to not matter.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Oops, I was reading off the Effective Party Level, not the average.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The fact that crits are automatic hits often becomes irrelevant beyond a certain level. I know I did the maths in 4e, and most epic PCs can stand for literally several minutes against armies of hundreds of low-heroic enemies. If you optimised for it, you could make PCs that were not only literally immortal in the face of low-level armies, but which could annihilate any army that attempted to kill them more-or-less automatically (basically, the immortal revenant builds).

Which is why different forms of monster scaling exist, and why you shouldn't use massive level differentials in systems not designed for them.

Not to mention, the attrition only matters for the ones that can get in range. Most of that army seems to be melee fighters, and they're walled off.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
God dammit people, it is an Allosaurus, not a T Rex

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Fried Chicken posted:

Then Rich gave it the wrong number of fingers and toes. It should have 3 on each limb. :pseudo:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Simian_Prime posted:

Then Rich gave it the wrong number of fingers and toes. It should have 3 on each limb. :pseudo:

It's a MAGIC Allosaurus. :colbert:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Dinosaurs have feathers, damnit!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Simian_Prime posted:

This is a comic strip where one of the characters once wondered outloud if he even actually had thumbs

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Clearly, these dinosaurs are more closely related to dragons, who, you will note, have no feathers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe Belkar will pull a Jake Sully, after bonding with dinosaurs and having sex with a blue elf he'll put his soul in a blue elf body.

I'm saying the world in the rift is Pandora, and this has been a joint production with James Cameron since the beginning.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

A.o.D. posted:

Simian_Prime posted:

Fried Chicken posted:

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRDS!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

The fact that crits are automatic hits often becomes irrelevant beyond a certain level. I know I did the maths in 4e, and most epic PCs can stand for literally several minutes against armies of hundreds of low-heroic enemies. If you optimised for it, you could make PCs that were not only literally immortal in the face of low-level armies, but which could annihilate any army that attempted to kill them more-or-less automatically (basically, the immortal revenant builds).

Which is why different forms of monster scaling exist, and why you shouldn't use massive level differentials in systems not designed for them.

Not to mention, the attrition only matters for the ones that can get in range. Most of that army seems to be melee fighters, and they're walled off.

With 4E, you'd be better off making the enemy army using swarm tempalates. That way you can have the PCs effortlessly kill dozens of bad guys (say one per HP) while still having a challenging encounter. Make a bunch of different swarms based on tropp make up. I love 4E.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

With 4E, you'd be better off making the enemy army using swarm tempalates. That way you can have the PCs effortlessly kill dozens of bad guys (say one per HP) while still having a challenging encounter. Make a bunch of different swarms based on tropp make up. I love 4E.

I hate 4th unconditionally, except for the fact that swarms and minions are brilliant.

And if you haven't read the 4th edition SS&DT comic you are living an unfulfilled life.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Who What Now posted:

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRDS!

It's a forum on a comedy website about a webcomic based on Dungeons & Dragons.

You were expecting what? Hipsters? Jocks? Hipster jocks?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

jng2058 posted:

Hipster jocks?

I only play football ironically.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Google image search Arian Foster.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

Google image search Arian Foster.

I don't know what that is but I know I want to sleep with it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

MikeJF posted:

I don't know what that is but I know I want to sleep with it.

Man, if Arian Foster has that effect on you, don't GIS Yu Darvish.

Edit: Or, I guess, just look at photos of him pitching. Nobody looks good pitching.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 2, 2013

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

In which book+strip is the prophecy where it is said that Belkar will save Hinjo's life twice? (spoilered since it isn't in the main strips)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Soonmot posted:

Which was what I meant by 'alternate forms of monster scaling' ;)

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

mmkay posted:

In which book+strip is the prophecy where it is said that Belkar will save Hinjo's life twice? (spoilered since it isn't in the main strips)

This thread says Book 4, 665b. I don't think that corresponds to anything in the online strip, which sucks.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

terminal mehmet posted:

This thread says Book 4, 665b. I don't think that corresponds to anything in the online strip, which sucks.

Thanks, I only just bought books 1-3 and I thought I was going blind (since I thought it would be before the siege of Azure City).

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Oh and while we're in between strips and there's a lull in discussion (Worst case scenario strip updates immediately after I post this, how awful)

Remember that ah, discussion from before about the ghosts etc.? Yeah, after That, I saw things were going nowhere good and decided "Fine, I'll contact him, if he responds he responds, if not oh well, discussion over either way." And then he did.

I've been sitting on it for a while looking for a good time to post it (He only took maybe a couple of days to respond.)

I'm not sure if it's appropriate (Or even allowed) to just repost what he said verbatim or not, (Or if it would be rude to reply and say "Hey can I repost this") so I'll just bullet point it. Hopefully that's allowed.

-First of all he expressed surprise. My friend's complaint from six years ago is the first he's heard about that event ever; I guess he didn't read the thread that my friend said he changed his password/rage quit the gitp forums over.

-He confirmed that poofing the ghosts did stun and weaken Soon.
-He also said that had Redcloak not done that, it was "probable" he and Xykon would have been killed right out by Soon when he used Smite Evil instead of just being knocked down, thus not giving Miko a chance to do stuff. He said at Soon's level, those HURT (He didn't say what level that was, but maybe he was pushing 30. You get 1 bonus damage per Paladin level soo..)
-Soon was just plain stronger than Redcloak guessed.

On a "meta" level of why he did that:

-Every last one of the ghosts had to be gone for the thing with Miko to work.
-By having the ghost-poofery weaken Soon, this gave Redcloak a reason to focus on the ghosts instead of the greater threat of Soon. Two birds, one stone.

-Given the serial nature of the story there was value in making the reader think Redcloak had a chance to keep things interesting.
-It also gave insight to Redcloak's character in that we saw he immediately improvised a strategy on the spot whereas Xykon had been just mindlessly spamming spells for the past hour.
-Gave Xykon a reason to taunt Soon/made a joke work.

-Expressed confusion over how this could be a big enough deal to turn someone off OOTS
-Doesn't see a problem, thinks Redcloak's plan didn't work as well as friend hoped it would<-----I'd say this is dead on the mark
-Thinks friend just doesn't like his writing<-----Ditto

This explanation largely satisfied me (Considering the form I used I was impressed I even got a reply, I had no way of knowing that the internet didn't just eat my submission.) My friend.. to.. some degree, but I think it served its purpose. Hopefully that settles that forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So, all the confusion is from the fact that your friend thought that when Redcloak said "stun" he meant the D&D status effect, when it was meant more approximately, referring to limiting overall combat capacity, which happened in a way to challenge the characters and make the plot more interesting.

And we've seen enough people annoyed at D&D rules lawyering giving yield to the plot(which has been itself a plot point in the past, with the giant summoned devil). Even within an actual game of D&D, I'd still think it was a dumb thing to complain about.