Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
Asellus' scenario pulls one of the same bullshit moves that Riki's does, but they actually give you a chance to account for it so it never seemed like a big deal to me. Especially not when she can wreck everything in sight because of poo poo she can get easy. Yeah, you don't need it, but by the time anyone else can get it it's just not worth it really.

Also, what's Lute's deal mechanically? Half the time for me he's dead weight, the other half he procs Lifesprinkler and Rosario Impale before anyone else. Or is that going to be saved for his route?

Ayana fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So this is how I imagine Rolling Cradle to look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzqObTAhMrE

(dude we need tech gifs/videos)

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So this is how I imagine Rolling Cradle to look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzqObTAhMrE

(dude we need tech gifs/videos)

That's about what it looks like yeah. I'll see what I can do about gifs. I don't have a whole lot of experience making them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

dude789 posted:

It's not just a cosmetic change either. Emelia's big benefit when she's the main character is her costumes. By wearing a costume she can substitute her talent list for someone else's.

Holy poo poo I never knew this but this is so perfect.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I also never knew that. That explains why I kept sparking totally awesome sword techs in the final battle.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

So good news! I think I've got the hang of it. Might be a little large, but Locomotion G is one of the more lengthy attacks. I'll try to include gifs where appropriate from now on. Unfortunately, I've already gotten screens for the next update so that won't have any but after that I'll work them in when needed.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
That's a sexy looking gif. That's awesome, the techs and spells are rad as hell, and best seen in motion. Yes. :)

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Alkarl posted:

That's a sexy looking gif. That's awesome, the techs and spells are rad as hell, and best seen in motion. Yes. :)

And as good as it is, LocomotionG's not even one of the best looking ones out of the game. I totally want to see some of the higher end sword techs .gif'd if Dude gets a chance to at some point during the LP.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Alkarl posted:

Agreed.

Also, I forgot just how much I love this poo poo. I started a new run of Emilia's campaign today, skipping any grinding for the early stages in favor of some specific progression.

After that, I took on a rough sidequest boss that probably should have been saved for later, finishing it with a level 4 combo. Nearly 4500 damage. Siddown and shaddap, big guy! :black101:

E: Spoilers removed as requested.

Raitzeno fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 2, 2013

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Okay, you need to buy somebody a katana and get .gifs of all the pretty ways to kill people.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Hey guys, I know most of us discussing the game have played it before, but can we tone down the spoilers a tad for those who might be looking in the thread but haven't played it? Something like, "I did the Rune quest and Emelia sparked Triple Thrust" and other high level discussion of quests or characters we already have is fine, but I'd rather avoid comments about future characters or specific aspects of quests.

Edit: Also if you're new to the game and any of this terminology that's being thrown around is overwhelming or confusing, just let me know and I'll try to clarify it for you as best I can.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 2, 2013

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Glazius posted:

Holy poo poo I never knew this but this is so perfect.

Sadly like most of SaGa Frontier it's only half done, more on that later.

Dareon posted:

I also never knew that. That explains why I kept sparking totally awesome sword techs in the final battle.

Actually it's because Emelia's final boss has a Spark value of 39, second highest in the game. The final battle is actually done with Emelia's default talent loadout and Emelia is pretty good at swords. However Emelia does gain a special benefit in her final battle that's unrelated to talents, more on that later.

Ardeem posted:

Okay, you need to buy somebody a katana and get .gifs of all the pretty ways to kill people.

More specifically Dude789, you need to show off the special Katana Combo. Moonlight Cut, Blizzard, and Tres Flores have animations designed to lead into each other when you do a combo of them in that order.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
I love that boar. All the other ones try to kill you, but he's just out living the high life.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
Edit: Actually, I probably mentioned something best left to the LP. Removed.

Kliff fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 2, 2013

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Man, I never had this one as a kid. I liked Legend 1 and 2, beat Romancing SaGa 3 (brutal), and loved SaGa Frontier 2. I'm liking that it seems to have monsters, robots, and espers in it, even it they were really wonky in Legend 2.

Lute reminds me of the Poet from RS3. Is he basically the same generic everyman? Not really good or bad at anything?

Is the magic system similar to RS3's? That was okay, but SF2 had the best physical vs. magic balance in almost any RPG.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Bellmaker posted:

Man, I never had this one as a kid. I liked Legend 1 and 2, beat Romancing SaGa 3 (brutal), and loved SaGa Frontier 2. I'm liking that it seems to have monsters, robots, and espers in it, even it they were really wonky in Legend 2.

Lute reminds me of the Poet from RS3. Is he basically the same generic everyman? Not really good or bad at anything?

Is the magic system similar to RS3's? That was okay, but SF2 had the best physical vs. magic balance in almost any RPG.

At the risk of a minor derail... I'm curious about that last remark. SF2 damage between arts and spells isn't balanced at all. Even if you rush right to endgame damage magic and understand that lower JP = higher spell damage, weapon arts start out equal and only get better, so spells are relegated to support. Absurdly powerful support (Automatic on-death resurrection on everyone all the time!), but support.

Unless you're counting Hybrid Arts as spells, in which case it swings right around in the other direction. :v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Einander posted:

At the risk of a minor derail... I'm curious about that last remark. SF2 damage between arts and spells isn't balanced at all. Even if you rush right to endgame damage magic and understand that lower JP = higher spell damage, weapon arts start out equal and only get better, so spells are relegated to support. Absurdly powerful support (Automatic on-death resurrection on everyone all the time!), but support.

Unless you're counting Hybrid Arts as spells, in which case it swings right around in the other direction. :v:

I'd interpret it as most weapons having durability in SF2, so being wary about using them to some extent, whereas using spells didn't deplete the durability of items used to cast.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Einander posted:

Yes, spells do less damage, but that's what made it balanced in a weird way.

You get WP and JP regeneration each turn in that game, and while you have plenty of powerful physical attacks going all out on them will leave you out of WP in a hurry with no real way to reload. Plus there's the whole weapon durability issue.

JP isn't able to deal the same kind of damage, but it's buoyed by the fact you have a.) lots of ways of boosting JP regeneration, but there's no way to boost WP regeneration b.) some pretty powerful special effects (Hymnal wrecks undead, Incineration :swoon:) c: fantastic support spells (Berserk, on-death resurrection... nothing like RS3's Shadow Servant, but that may be the most busted spell in any game) and yeah, d: Hybrid Arts.

The way it worksed out for me is WP is great for quick and heavy bursts of damage, while JP is great for support and sustained damage output. They both have their pros and cons, I think it works out well.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 3, 2013

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I would, by the way, love love love to see a good SF2 SSLP when this one's done. Or before that.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Bellmaker posted:

Yes, spells do less damage, but that's what made it balanced in a weird way.

You get WP and JP regeneration each turn in that game, and while you have plenty of powerful physical attacks going all out on them will leave you out of WP in a hurry with no real way to reload. Plus there's the whole weapon durability issue.

JP isn't able to deal the same kind of damage, but it's buoyed by the fact you have a.) lots of ways of boosting JP regeneration, but there's no way to boost WP regeneration b.) some pretty powerful special effects (Hymnal wrecks undead, Incineration :swoon:) c: fantastic support spells (Berserk, on-death resurrection... nothing like RS3's Shadow Servant, but that may be the most busted spell in any game) and yeah, d: Hybrid Arts.

The way it worksed out for me is WP is great for quick and heavy bursts of damage, while JP is great for support and sustained damage output. They both have their pros and cons, I think it works out well.

Oh, okay. I put Hybrid Arts under weapons. They've got the same ability for sustained damage, even if their support options are much sparser.

(And you didn't even mention equip-based JP floors! JP is really good in SF2.)

Funktor posted:

I would, by the way, love love love to see a good SF2 SSLP when this one's done. Or before that.

I've had one planned for ages; first post in about three months, probably, assuming I can iron out the emulation quirks. I've got an off-site project to do first.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
You know, the music in this game is pretty tight right? Well personally I think that the OST, to me, has the best remixes out there. For instance, this Battle 1 (the main battle theme of this game) arrangement is pretty drat smooth and jazzy despite the funny title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkCdvv9OCgQ

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Thwack! posted:

You know, the music in this game is pretty tight right? Well personally I think that the OST, to me, has the best remixes out there. For instance, this Battle 1 (the main battle theme of this game) arrangement is pretty drat smooth and jazzy despite the funny title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkCdvv9OCgQ

This is fantastic. I will be having a jazzy SaGa time while I make breakfast tomorrow. Thank you.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

We'll start today's update witha bit of grinding. The first thing we want to do is change back into the Pink Tiger costume which can be accomplished by talking to this guy in the Gradius HQ.

You'll recall in the last update that I said that the Pink Tiger outfit replaces Emelia's talent list with Liza's. This proves to be hilariously accurate in this update.

One quick ship ride later and we find ourselves in Yorkland, home of booze and another one of the games more notorious grinding spots. To get there take the north-west path at these crossroads.

Dungeon 1

And here we are at the swamp. Every one of those floating eyes represents a monster we can encounter. They're all reptile type enemies and like the Bio Lab they all have a +2 encounter modifier.

Here we can see the main opponent of our group. The green guy in the back is a Frillneck where as the guy with the beak is a Platonnopus. I've always liked their names. Neither are to dangerous, but rarely the Frillneck will use some dashing attacks which can really wreck your poo poo.

Emelia wastes no time catching up with Liza, learning two of the throwing techniques Liza has already mastered.

And then in the next fight she actually surpasses Liza by Sparking Suplex.

It's very important to save your game after one of your fighting characters learns Suplex. Suplex is one of the four moves that are essential to a fighting characters effectiveness.

This is the last fight we encounter in the Swamp and it's a doozy. The K9 mech (although it looks more like a cat to me) is incredibly dangerous as you can see by how he one shot Emelia here.

Not one to be left out Liza immediately sparks Suplex as well. It's a good damage move so it's very helpful here. Also not that the animation is a bit different because she used it on a flying enemy. You can't really pick up a flying enemy so she just slams them into the ground.

The K9 mech has a machine gun attack that attacks in a fan pattern that can take out multiple characters at once. Mei-Ling is reviving Emelia over and over with Starlight Heal which may seem worthelss, but it's actually essential. Some attacks in Saga Frontier can only attack a target that isn't blocked off by other targets. The k9 Mech's Vulcan is one of these attacks. By reviving Emelia he can only take out Emelia and Annie with it rather than targeting say Roufas where the spray would hit (and probably kill) everyone.

Eventually he targets Mei Ling, but not until we've beaten the rest of the enemies. We should have this in hand now.

And to finish off the fight, Liza sparks Rolling Cradle. Liza and Emelia's sparked moved lists are hilariously similar right now. I think the only difference is that Liza may have sparked Chop and Emelia hasn't or something.

But I don't want to press my luck after that fight so I go back to Koorong to rest up and continue Emelia's plotline.

Emelia's started to sense that Roufas is probably embellishing the mission descriptions a bit.
What's the matter?

I like how when she says this all the non Roufas members turn away. Roufas is definitely bullshiting.
Oh, all right. Liza, Annie, take this job.
Where are we going?
To Baccarat. Joker's been seen there lately.
I bet he loves gambling. It just fits his name.
They won't be a problem.
I changed my mind. If Joker's going to be there, let me go with them.
Emelia, don't try to be a hero. We just want to know what Joker is up to.

But in the end Emelia's quest for revenge get's the best of her and she decides to take on the mission.

Baccarat

Baccarat is one of the less involved regions. It's basically just one big hotel. It looks cool though.
Money sure is the root of all evil.
Gambling just makes them crazy.
Liza, you're very calm.
Let's get to work.

Emelia asks the questions we've all been thinking. It was rumored that the bunny outfit boosted Emelia's magic learning rate. This was proven to be false. In reality it does jack poo poo aside from giving Emelia bunny ears.

To collect information. Talk to as many customers as you can.
Do I really have to?
I'll bet you get lots of information in that outfit. Besides, you look really good in it.
She looks good in anything. She was a super-model.
You really think so? Well, I guess a woman's got to do what a woman's got to do.

I forgot how awkward that last line is. The dialogue in this game is so inconsistent.
Now she's into it.
Quite a character.

We can wander around asking people if they've seen Joker. The other bunny girls are the only ones who say anything really helpful. Most of the other NPCs just give out stock dialogue.

:wink:A masked man? I think I saw him one floor up.

:rolldice:Don't let him win. Just let ME win.
It's good to see that the cab lady from Scrap is putting that money to good use! Also, for the longest time I thought this smiley was someone shaking their fist so hard in frustration that it exploded, rather than someone rolling the dice. Blame the Fire Emblem threads for that I suppose.

Baccarat's design is fairly simple you basically follow a triangular path around the floor almost as if it was a big spiral staircase. We spot Joker by some of the roulette tables heading up to the bar on the next floor.

I quite like the way the bar floor looks. It seems very fancy with the darker color scheme and the giant chandelier you can see in the second shot.

:wink:He went down to the parking lot, why?
Take me to the parking lot! Hurry!!

But alas, we don't get to stay and have a drink. We have to follow Joker to the parking lot instead.

Should we call Roufas?
Let's go after him.

Our next objective is to chase Joker down into the Sewers, but we'll save that for next time as this update is getting long. See you then!

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 6, 2013

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Here comes the goofiest marker in a video game of which ending you get.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
You have a { where you need a [ in the YouTube link.

Also, one step closer to :black101:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ardeem posted:

You have a { where you need a [ in the YouTube link.

Also, one step closer to :black101:

2 steps closer to :black101::black101: to be precise

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Einander posted:

I've had one planned for ages; first post in about three months, probably, assuming I can iron out the emulation quirks. I've got an off-site project to do first.
I'll definitely be looking forward to this. Despite having played Saga Frontier to death, I've never actually played through SF2.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

dude789 posted:

I'll definitely be looking forward to this. Despite having played Saga Frontier to death, I've never actually played through SF2.

Same here. I've given it a couple shots but never got anywhere near the end.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
What little I've heard of SF2's plot didn't really catch me like SF's did, so I've never bothered. I can certainly check out an LP of it and see if I was wrong about it though.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I'm kind of the opposite, I wanted to see where the plot was going but the gameplay stymied me in a lot of ways, not least of which being my "oh god don't use durability ever" packrat mentality.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Loved the plot, loved the battle system in general, but there was one late-game scenario that prevented me from ever finishing the game. SF2 experts know the one.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I should really play through both games again. I never got the "true" experience, because I played them in that teenage mindset of "winning is the only important thing, it doesn't matter how I cheat."

Fun fact: an Infinite HP Gameshark code does jack poo poo against Magma Slimes. Or the tactical battles in SF2.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 21, 2014

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I think the reason that the Bunny Costume doesn't work for Magic like it should is that there isn't a talent listing for Magic. Except for the modifier of Intelligence everyone is equally capable of learning every spell, there aren't any spells that some people get more easily than others.

And the upcoming ending flag makes absolutely no goddamn sense.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Omnicrom posted:

I think the reason that the Bunny Costume doesn't work for Magic like it should is that there isn't a talent listing for Magic. Except for the modifier of Intelligence everyone is equally capable of learning every spell, there aren't any spells that some people get more easily than others.

Wasn't it just due to a glitch? Or an oversight. Either way, I heard it was SUPPOSED to boost her magic, but does nothing.

What about the other costumes? I think I heard one of them doesn't work either. I think it was the next one.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Just a heads up, I had some computer issues today that might delay the next update by a bit. Also the party will probably not be exactly the same after the next few updates. I lost a bunch of stuff so I have to replay back up to where I was. It's not too big a deal, as the game goes by so quick I only have about 2 hours or so of game time. I might put up a new gameplay update or something in the meantime.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

dude789 posted:

Just a heads up, I had some computer issues today that might delay the next update by a bit. Also the party will probably not be exactly the same after the next few updates. I lost a bunch of stuff so I have to replay back up to where I was. It's not too big a deal, as the game goes by so quick I only have about 2 hours or so of game time. I might put up a new gameplay update or something in the meantime.

poo poo, now we'll never get to see those characters again for the rest of the game!!!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Pneub posted:

poo poo, now we'll never get to see those characters again for the rest of the game!!!

No, now Liza will never spark the techs she needs.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Ardeem posted:

No, now Liza will never spark the techs she needs.

Are you kidding? Liza can spark that poo poo so easily, she could manage it from nonexistence.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

Are you kidding? Liza can spark that poo poo so easily, she could manage it from nonexistence.

Even the best fighting characters only have talents in three of the Sacred Four. I think Liza's "weakness" is Sliding, so since she hadn't sparked that yet anyway, we're probably good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

KataraniSword posted:

Even the best fighting characters only have talents in three of the Sacred Four. I think Liza's "weakness" is Sliding, so since she hadn't sparked that yet anyway, we're probably good.

You want to learn it from Kick as early as possible. If you don't get it early, you'll start learning "better" moves from it instead.

• Locked thread