Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Kyousougiga (Capital Craze) began its life as a twenty-five minute original net animation created by Toei Animation and Banpresto released on Nico Nico Douga and Youtube in December of 2011. Five supplementary ~ten minute episodes followed in late 2012 and now it's finally making its 13 episode TV anime debut. It is largely a product of the group at Toei Animation responsible for the Magical DoReMi and Pretty Cure series and is being directed by Rie Matsumoto, a relative unknown outside of her work on PreCure and, well, this show.

Following a mysterious black rabbit, a hyperactive young girl named Koto and her "brothers" A and Un find themselves in the fantastic wonderland of "Mirror Kyoto", a psychedelic parallel world in which humans and spirits coexist, every day is a festival day, and nothing makes even the slightest bit of sense. They fall into the care of a rather unscrupulous monk, actually a member of the ruling triumvirate of the land, and take to this new world like fish to water, spending their days alternately wreaking havoc and searching for a way to return home. Then things get really crazy.

The first ONA was a glorious rainbow explosion of incredible sights, wacky characters, and spectacular animation. It oozed charm and style. Then the five short extra episodes came out in 2012, expanded on the characters and world, and even managed to pull out some legitimately heartwarming moments. It's all been great up to this point, like some manic hybrid of FLCL and a Miyazaki film. Here's hoping that the TV series will manage to keep it up. They claim that it will include ten original episodes, two recap episodes, and one "special episode", whatever that is.

Additional Staff

Music: Gō Shiina
Character Design: Yuki Hayashi

Characters

Koto - Voiced by Rie Kugimiya
Our energetic protagonist, armed only with boundless enthusiasm...and a magical hammer stolen from a giant robot.

A and Un - Voiced by Hidaka Noriko and Ryoko Shiraishi
Twin familiars who accompany Koto in her adventures. She refers to them as her younger brothers.

Myoue - Voiced by Kenichi Suzumura
Neutral member of the ruling Assembly of the Three, a young Buddhist monk who looks after Koto and her brothers. Less pious than he appears.

Yase - Voiced by Eri Kitamura
The demon representative in the Assembly of the Three, her dignified appearance belies a violently short temper.

Kurama - Voiced by Kazuki Yao
The human representative in the Assembly of the Three and head priest of the Kurama Temple, the organization responsible for maintaining order in Mirror Kyoto.

Professor Shoko - Voiced by Chiwa Saito
Member of the Kurama Temple organization and a genius inventor who spends much of her time struggling against Koto and her siblings' destructive antics. Controls the giant robot Bishimaru and the "Liquid Crystal Soldiers" (those mobster-looking guys in white).

Fushimi - Voiced by Eiji Takemoto
Shoko's calm and capable assistant.

Lady Koto - Voiced by Aya Hisakawa
A local god who seems to have vanished a long time ago. Presumably involved in the creation of Mirror Kyoto.

Inari - Voiced by Akira Ishida
Koto's mysterious teacher, wears a fox mask and is accompanied by two familiars of his own.

:siren: Do I need to watch the ONAs before starting this series? :siren:

No. The first episode of this 2013 TV series (episode 00) is actually a rebroadcast of the first ONA in HD with a new OP, ED, and soundtrack. You certainly could go back and watch the other five short episodes if you wanted to but it's pretty likely that you'll pick up their contents over the course of this series.

e: This has turned out to be true. !!!You do not need to watch the old ONAs at all!!! Start at episode 0 of this season, continue forward from there.

So I watched the first episode and

That's normal, don't worry about it. Things become much clearer after watching the other five net episodes (see below), and if my answer to the question preceding this one turns out to be correct you won't even need to do that. Who knows!

I've watched everything and I still don't get it! :qq:

Maybe give the manga a shot? Only four chapters have been translated to English but it does actually start at the beginning and go from there. I would however encourage you to abandon the idea of getting answers to everything because I really doubt that it's ever going to happen. Nevermind it's totally different! Just keep watching!

When and where do I watch this?

New episodes show up on Crunchyroll every Friday at 4 pm CDT.

:siren: PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d1DXAmEauE :siren: You really should watch this!
:siren: OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRMgsXxEloc :siren:

Official website: http://www.kyousougiga-tv.com/index.html

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Not really new viewer friendly. I watched the first episode last night and understood zero of what was going on.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I watched the first episode and all the ONAs and understood zero of what was going on!

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Stall_19 posted:

Not really new viewer friendly. I watched the first episode last night and understood zero of what was going on.

The first episode was basically a mashup of the first and last ONAs if I remember correctly. You aren't really supposed to know everything that's going on immediately for obvious reasons.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pyronic posted:

The first episode was basically a mashup of the first and last ONAs if I remember correctly. You aren't really supposed to know everything that's going on immediately for obvious reasons.

Now, the first episode is just the first ONA.

And yeah, while in large it's all confusing, if you are attentive you can get the basics beats of the story, already explained in the OP.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is there anywhere to get the ONA / 00 episode in decent quality yet? For sale, streaming, download, whatever.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there anywhere to get the ONA / 00 episode in decent quality yet? For sale, streaming, download, whatever.

Commie's version is out. EveTaku are planning on doing it as well, but it probably won't be out for a day or two.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

arhra posted:

Commie's version is out. EveTaku are planning on doing it as well, but it probably won't be out for a day or two.

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that; I searched on Commie+Kyousogiga but I only found 1-5 + the OVA.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that; I searched on Commie+Kyousogiga but I only found 1-5 + the OVA.

Probably because they've fixed the romanization to the more consistent Kyousougiga.

Just noticed that Anime-Koi have subbed it as well, so looks like there's plenty of options.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

efb

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

For whatever reason the raw and subbed releases of the TV anime are being named "Kyousougiga" while the ONAs were "Kyousogiga". :iiam:

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
So wait do you need to have watched the original web episodes to understand what's in the new stuff?

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

A jargogle posted:

So wait do you need to have watched the original web episodes to understand what's in the new stuff?

Episode 0 basically is the first ONA (with some slight edits to fit the TV timeslot, a new OP/ED, and a new soundtrack). The second set of ONAs might be worth watching separately, or the series might cover the same ground over the course of it's run.

I'd imagine they'll be trying to make it watchable without having seen the old ONAs, since otherwise they'd be unnecessarily limiting their audience to those who watched it two years ago and actually remember everything perfectly.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
This seems like one of those shows that won't make complete sense until you get that zazen moment. Like FLCL, basically.

I am enamored with the Japanese spin on magical realism popularized by Murakami and ~*anime*~-tized by NisiOisiN; not only does this show scratch that itch, it's gorgeously animated and charming. It's a nice compliment to Kill la Kill: both have similar roots and love of sakuga animation; this show owes a lot to Miyazaki and Gekidan Inu Curry and KlK owes everything to Go Nagai stylistically.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Having just watched this, this has basically jumped to the top of the list with Kill La Kill a close second, but both hit that FLCL vibe that I love. Hopefully it'll keep it up. Heavily tempted to watch the ONAs though hopefully they're part of the TV series.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yea... I think I'm gonna go watch the original to confirm what just happened.

But holy poo poo that was fantastic. You're right, this is up there right alongside KLK. And once we get the first actual episode, it's probably going to outdo this recap.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

tooooooo bad posted:

efb

For whatever reason the raw and subbed releases of the TV anime are being named "Kyousougiga" while the ONAs were "Kyousogiga". :iiam:

Old official website for the ONAs http://www.kyousogiga.com/
New official website for the TV series http://www.kyousougiga-tv.com/

Basically the official romanization changed.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Yeah, this show is really good.

Bear in mind you don't really need to watch the original ONAs as the first episode of the TV series (00) is essentially the first ONA in much better quality and I imagine the rest will be covered from there. So just jump in with the TV show and you should be good.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Uh. Just watched this. I have absolutely no idea what's going on but it looks amazing.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012
I watched the ONAs and the time between the releases back then made it confusing. Episode 00 is the first time I've seen them in succession and they finally made sense.

For the folks who are confused:
There's a mirror Kyoto that's inhabited by youkai, saints, and humans.
It's implied that it was created by the first Myoe (I suppose it's an inherited name.) and Lady Koto. They brought Yase, Second Myoe, and Kurama (the guy with the giant robot) as children.
Lady Koto has been missing for a while.
Koto and her two brothers somehow found herself in mirror Kyoto after Inari (The guy with the sword. Her brother?) left for some magic school thing.
Koto and her brothers have been looking for the black rabbit so they can go home.(Lady Koto)
Yase and Kurama miss Lady Koto and are looking for ways to bring her back. Apparently involves something dodgy with Koto which second Myoe isn't keen on.
Lady Koto comes back, apparently from the moon, and sides with Koto.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

For me, Kyousougiga is a show that's visually impressive and very mentally challenging as far as trying to figure out what's going on. Part of the "charm", per se, is actually piecing together the story. That's certainly a task.

I think, by far, the best piece was the fifth installment of the ONA series last December which detailed the original Myoe monk and his apparent relationships with the original Koto and their "children". The episode is like 7 or 8 minutes long and very poignant -- I think.

A lot of the show appears to be mindless mayhem interspersed with some kind of plot involving people pining for a lost "mother", trying to find their way "home" and who knows what.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Dan7el posted:

For me, Kyousougiga is a show that's visually impressive and very mentally challenging as far as trying to figure out what's going on. Part of the "charm", per se, is actually piecing together the story. That's certainly a task.
Yeah. This is the first anime I've had to pause at points to take everything in since Tatami Galaxy. It's tough to read the subtitles and fully comprehend the riotous visuals at times.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Commie has subbed the first episode. I think it answered quite a few questions left by the OVA and the ONAs, though the pace has slowed down.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 10, 2013

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

Commie has subbed the first episode. I think it answered quite a few questions left by the OVA and the ONAs, though the pace has slowed down.

It's traded it's mad pace for answers which seems to be an okay trade-off if they can keep some of the speed from the ONAs

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Maaaaaaaaan Why's Koto got Bishamaru's Hammer when she first gets to Kyoto?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pyronic posted:

Maaaaaaaaan Why's Koto got Bishamaru's Hammer when she first gets to Kyoto?

Look at the ball Inari gives her at 1:05 :ssh:

I found myself somewhat unenthused by the pace of this week's after ep 00. Faster, drat you, and drat the consequences :argh:

Does anyone think re-reading Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There would add anything to this show? I know I have a copy around here somewhere (somewhere), but from what I remember they seem pretty orthogonal.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Gosh the first third of that episode was pleasant. :3: I'm totally OK with "those 2012 episodes but more".

e: also so much for the manga

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 12, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Watching this normally paced episode after the breakneck pace of the recap was kind of unsettling, but also expected. The wacky art and directing is still great, but now we get more time to experience each individual scene.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I really liked Episode 1. For me, it was a more full version of Episode 5 ONA from last December with the holes filled in. I already guessed a lot of what was explained in this episode, but I also had a lot of questions that were answered and some misconceptions corrected. Looks like they used some of the same animation too. Cheap bastards.

For one, I wondered how the drawing of the black rabbit Koto turned into the rabbit-woman Koto. I originally thought that was just they way it happened. Now, knowing how it actually happened along with the stipulation given for its circumstances, I can understand why things are as they are in Mirror Kyoto.

I had already identified the three children (that wasn't difficult) but the eldest to youngest seemed reverse. In the scenes, we see Yakushimaru/Myoue arrive first and his siblings laters. Yet, Kurama is the eldest? Also, are they the natural born children of Koto and Myoue or just their idea-drawing-created children. I'm guessing the latter, but it's not crystal clear to me.

We still don't really know how or why the girl-Koto and her brothers are in Mirror Kyoto. I get the distinct impression their arrival has at least one purpose -- to shake things up and destroy the stagnant status-quo.

Also, it appears the original Myoue wasn't completely human himself. Did I read that incorrectly? That may answer a few questions. It does answer how he had the power of turning his drawings into reality. The first part of this episode spoke of a "head priest" a lot. I didn't catch any specific meaning behind it though. It seemed a bit ominous. I wonder if that will come into play later?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dan7el posted:

I had already identified the three children (that wasn't difficult) but the eldest to youngest seemed reverse. In the scenes, we see Yakushimaru/Myoue arrive first and his siblings laters. Yet, Kurama is the eldest? Also, are they the natural born children of Koto and Myoue or just their idea-drawing-created children. I'm guessing the latter, but it's not crystal clear to me.

Yase and Kurama are drawn, Yakushimaru is a human. It's not clear if he's their child or just an orphan they took in; I think probably the latter.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dan7el posted:

We still don't really know how or why the girl-Koto and her brothers are in Mirror Kyoto. I get the distinct impression their arrival has at least one purpose -- to shake things up and destroy the stagnant status-quo.

Also, it appears the original Myoue wasn't completely human himself. Did I read that incorrectly? That may answer a few questions. It does answer how he had the power of turning his drawings into reality. The first part of this episode spoke of a "head priest" a lot. I didn't catch any specific meaning behind it though. It seemed a bit ominous. I wonder if that will come into play later?

It's the latter. There was a scene were Karuma asks Myoe and Koto to erase their pictures so they won't exist.

She does say she came looking for the black rabbit, which is also a premise of the show. However, she also talked about planes of existence as if there were multiple and that she was familiar with traversing them. I'm confused about this because I thought she unintentionally stumbled into Mirror Kyoto but it seems like she intentionally hopped in. Makes me curious about what exactly she is, and it also makes me curious about what the original Myoe has been up to. Are the other planes his creations, just like Mirror Kyoto? What connection does he have with little Koto and her "brothers"?

I'm not sure about him either. At the very least, it's obvious he has a pretty crazy ability. I want to assume the other high ranking priests are also magical in some way, and Myoe's abilities are looked down upon, but I have no idea if that's true.

e:

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yase and Kurama are drawn, Yakushimaru is a human. It's not clear if he's their child or just an orphan they took in; I think probably the latter.

Is he really? It's pretty clear that Yase and Karuma are drawings, but it wasn't all that clear about Yakushimaru. I thought he was also a drawing.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Is he really? It's pretty clear that Yase and Karuma are drawings, but it wasn't all that clear about Yakushimaru. I thought he was also a drawing.
Karuma explicitly says Yukashimaru is human when he suggests to erase his and Yase's drawings.

Speaking of Yase - anyone else took note she's called second daughter? I get the feeling that "little" Koto might end up being revealed as part of family eventually :D

Malek Deneith fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 12, 2013

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Okay, some additional thoughts and speculation.

From the ONA episode 5 last year:

Could this be Myoue carrying Yakushimaru home as an orphan? It really is hard to tell who Myoue is carrying other than it's very likely a person. I almost thought it was Koto-rabbit the first time I saw it. They only show it briefly, but immediately after this scene, Yakushimaru shows up in the video.

Also, at the very end of episode 5, Koto-rabbit is holding a human infant:

My guess is that this is our Koto (human with the giant crazy-hammer). There is no telling, really. I just don't see the anime-resemblence:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You can see some of the scenes from Myoe's nightmare near the end of the episode and during the OP and it really does seem that he was an orphaned kid.

Malek Deneith posted:

Speaking of Yase - anyone else took note she's called second daughter? I get the feeling that "little" Koto might end up being revealed as part of family eventually :D

Is this because of how its written or something? She's the middle child, shes going to be the second. Kurama is the oldest and Yaku is the youngest.

As for kid Koto, the plot tries to put her up as a parallel to god Koto but I'm getting this weird vibe that she might be first Myoe reincarnated or something.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

So this is happening.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Pizza companies do the strangest things outside of the US. Remember eating Dominoes with Hatsune Miku and having Pizza Hut while you watched Code Geass characters have Pizza Hut?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
So the first episode was a hyper-condense recap? I assume it'll have missed out some details, where might one watch the originals?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A jargogle posted:

So the first episode was a hyper-condense recap? I assume it'll have missed out some details, where might one watch the originals?

The first episode (or episode 0) is literally 99% first ONA stitched together with an OP and ED and in better quality, and the current TV series seems to be covering the same material as the second so you really don't need to watch anything else.

Zassiliss
May 31, 2011

the cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Man, Koto was an ugly baby. Probably.

Also, who is this Inari person? Apparently their hairstyle was changed from the ONA/OVA's so that the Koto-like ponytail was removed. And now we find out he was the one to send Koto to the Mirror Capital in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Zassiliss posted:

Man, Koto was an ugly baby. Probably.

Also, who is this Inari person? Apparently their hairstyle was changed from the ONA/OVA's so that the Koto-like ponytail was removed. And now we find out he was the one to send Koto to the Mirror Capital in the first place?

The Wikipedia article on Inari Ōkami is worth a look.

I guess spoilers for all of the ONAs follow, though it's stuff that's pretty likely to come up in the next episode.

I enjoy the theory that there are two separate Inaris: a short-haired one and a long-haired one. The first was Koto's guardian and mentor. Their time together looks to be the subject of the next episode. The second Inari, uhh....maybe it's future Koto somehow? Or a Koto from another dimension? Or another sibling? The hair and bow are identical, and I'm at work so I can't look up pictures but I believe long-hair Inari has some little charms hanging from the handle of his sword (like Koto has on her hammer) that short-hair Inari lacked. The bit in episode 0 with the familiars speaking to long-hair Inari could have been some intentional misdirection. Maybe future/extra-dimensional Koto inherited the Inari title in the same way that Myoue did. Or maybe, and this is really more likely, they just changed Inari's design and/or he grew his hair out. Who knows.

Pic with both old and new Inari designs: http://i.minus.com/ibtxfzdJon04iT.jpg. Should note that the second design is the way he looked in the 2012 ONAs too.

Something else to think about : there was a scene in the last episode showing the entire family, uh I guess, except it was odd because both Koto and a young Inari without the mask? were there too. They look pretty similar to one another. http://i.minus.com/i6UCOKXEHmGl4.jpg

Or just throw all of that theorizing out because Inari and Papa Myoue are voiced by the same guy so they're probably somehow the same person.

e: fixed link, added pic, properly spoiled pic, added one more pic

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 15, 2013

• Locked thread