Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah the SP can be safely ignored. I am really curious about what kind of cool stuff they did with the new engine, but I know it's going to be some call of duty "go through halls and shoot guys" bullshit.

BC1 had such an amazing campaign. Even had all sorts of secret weapons, upgrades, etc. that you could find in the huge open maps. Bring it back EA :arghfist::(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I hope in the final game they make the levolution events harder to trigger. It is hilariously easy to bring the building down on this map.

Also I am looking forward to the SP because it will be great eye candy and my card can max it out. :smugdog:

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Olive Branch posted:

I don't have access to my gaming PC right now so I can't try the beta, but when I get back I'll give it a whirl. I've been burned on Total War Rome 2's release so I'm hoping this game is good fun out of the gate.

I didn't stop playing games, I only switched my interests from shooters to other genres. But BF4 looks like way too much fun to pass up. I wanted to know if it is all that or if it's Dice-d up due to bugs or poor gameplay or whatever. From what I've read so far it's a fifty-fifty split between people having issues and others having a ball.

Edit: I should also add, is this iteration of BF rewarding team play even more? BF always was a team-oriented series but pubs barely ever bothered to help out, join squads, act together, use commander skills properly, etc.

This iteration rewards team and squad oriented play extremely well. You have a commander (again) coordinating everything for the team, and he gets particular abilities based on which points you have under your control, like tomahawk missiles, UAV scans, etc. Your squad unlocks perks as they do things together - right now we only have offensive and defensive but in the final game each class will be able to pick from 4 different field upgrade paths. The squad leader can assign a point as the attack/defend objective, and then everyone in the squad has a line on their map telling them where to go.

Now of course it is a battlefield game so half your team is gonna consist of recons waiting on the heli spawn so they can go fly to a rooftop 3 miles away from the action and then miss with their 18x scope for an hour.

Lord Yod fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 5, 2013

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
The best part of this video is when he overlays the seatching pubbie rage during his kills.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
I have barely had an issue with Origin in a long time. I really would encourage people not to take it into consideration when making a game purchase.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lord Yod posted:

Now of course it is a battlefield game so half your team is gonna consist of recons waiting on the help spawn so they can go fly to a rooftop 3 miles away from the action and then miss with their 18x scope for an hour.

Completely ignoring the fact that there are TDM and DOM modes tailored to their playstyle. That's really the part that bothers the poo poo out of me. "You know there's a mode made just for shitlords right?"

quote:

I have barely had an issue with Origin in a long time. I really would encourage people not to take it into consideration when making a game purchase.

Really, a lot of people were just :spergin: about Origin not being Steam, and then everyone else jumped on the bandwagon. People love to hate EA too, simply because it's a ~big evil corporation~.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Lord Yod posted:

Now of course it is a battlefield game so half your team is gonna consist of recons waiting on the help spawn so they can go fly to a rooftop 3 miles away from the action and then miss with their 18x scope for an hour.

It is probably a really good idea to invest in Slim Jim stock if the 40x scope is battlepack unlock only.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Bobnumerotres posted:

People love to hate EA too, simply because it's a ~big evil corporation~.

No I'm pretty sure that's due to buying out several well liked developers, hollowing them out from within and killing several cherished franchises with a string of mediocre-to-broken releases.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I forgot how annoying snipers can be. It felt like a quarter of the enemy team was made up of those dickheads. What they don't realize is that you can't capture flags through a scope. :haw:

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
I'm retarded and for the life of me can't figure out how the key to toggle zoom settings. I don't see it in the key binds either.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Variable zoom works with the iron sights.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Variable zoom works with the iron sights.

What key toggles the 2x zoom on the support gun?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

SaucyLoggins posted:

I'm retarded and for the life of me can't figure out how the key to toggle zoom settings. I don't see it in the key binds either.

Press "T" or whatever key you use for weapon attachments like laser sights.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Bathtub Cheese posted:

No I'm pretty sure that's due to buying out several well liked developers, hollowing them out from within and killing several cherished franchises with a string of mediocre-to-broken releases.
Yeah it's not like they made great new games like Dead Space 1/2, Mirrors Edge, Battlefield, Crysis, Mass Effect, Need for Speed and others. They do a hell of a lot better job than Activision.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

Bathtub Cheese posted:

What does any of this have to do with using Origin to play Battlefield 3 or 4? Or any other game that uses origin. Because that is what I was talking about. What you're talking about is completely different. But keep burning your rage flame in every direction the EA logo shows up if it makes you feel better.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really don't like Domination. It feels like a TF2 0 respawn time server, just utter craziness, people spawning behind you and poo poo. I hope that last bit is unintentional.

That's pretty much the way the Battlefield series is these days. I am glad I am not wasting money on 4 after playing the beta. Battlefield 3 was such a disappointment and 4 just seems more of the same. I just miss established fighting fronts that happened during games of Battlefield 2.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

tboeske01 posted:

Anyone else running around with the DMR rifles? They feel kind of weak compared to some of the others. I have shot someone 4 times and they did not die. DMR rifles are usually higher caliber than an Assault rifle so I have idea why it is so weak. I have been using the in game chat quite a bit with mixed results. Sometimes I lase a target and it gets blown up or they run off toward the guy way the hell out there. I do have to ask if most of you play the single player before jumping into the multi-player or vice versa?
Singleplayer is for when I log on and find out that all of my favorite servers are full, all of my friends are offline, and I don't want to do anything else so I play a round. Or for when the servers are making GBS threads themselves. So yeah, I might play it first, on release day, because dealing with the massive strain on the servers on that first launch day could suck.

Liquid Penguins posted:

I'm holding out to see how rapidly they patch this game, maybe if they fix the performance problems the game will click for me? I really like the screen shake effects, model movement, and sound when shooting though. Guns look weighted and mechanical. I just wish dice wasn't full of poo poo.
They're not charging for new maps. They're charging for new guns and giving you the maps for free! :v:

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That's pretty much the way the Battlefield series is these days. I am glad I am not wasting money on 4 after playing the beta. Battlefield 3 was such a disappointment and 4 just seems more of the same. I just miss established fighting fronts that happened during games of Battlefield 2.
Hardcore should have "spawn on SL only" which will limit endless rains of people from the rooftops. The other problem with stability in this case is the map, because of its ridiculous infantry ease-of-movement for whichever team holds C. Once the tower on Shanghai falls, the map definitely stabilizes in terms of frontline. If you get an engineer and recon together, you can pretty much shut down anyone trying to boat over. A couple of my games have turned into a very BF2-esque war over C, where each side was entrenched on their side of the river. Helis and boats would try to break through and force someone to come back from the fight at C, tanks and APCs would try to support the push on C to get bleed back on, it was pretty cool. Rare, but cool, and I can see that working much better on maps that don't have massive buildings everywhere for squads to hang out on.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 5, 2013

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

They've charged for maps since loving 1942. Getting mad about that poo poo is pointless. The BF3 DLCs all added enough poo poo to be worth the price, and I don't expect the BF4 ones to have much of drop in quality.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Yeah it's not like they made great new games like Dead Space 1/2, Mirrors Edge, Battlefield, Crysis, Mass Effect, Need for Speed and others. They do a hell of a lot better job than Activision.

I will never forgive EA for killing Origin and then having the gall to give the name to their lovely steam clone. They're considerably less evil than they used to be though.

misterevilcat
Apr 30, 2009
Just got the Type 88 and wow what an upgrade. You go from the mediocre assault rifle to this doomgun that shoots fear and death any way you point it. Oh and it has a 200 round belt magazine to boot. The U-100 didn't really seem to pump out much in the way of suppression, but the 88? Get a dozen rounds in the vague direction of the enemy and they can't hit you worth a drat. Only gun I've ever had in battlefield that actually rewarded me for leaning on the trigger. Makes me wonder what the other belt fed LMGs will be like.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

DoctorStrangelove posted:

They've charged for maps since loving 1942. Getting mad about that poo poo is pointless. The BF3 DLCs all added enough poo poo to be worth the price, and I don't expect the BF4 ones to have much of drop in quality.

So far I think Siege of Shanghai is a great map. It has every range of engagement from CQB to armor team battles plus a ton of interactive map elements. If all 10+ of the launch maps are this good I might be inclined to buy my first ever FPS DLC.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
This game is flat out not-fun-infuriating if you don't have 4 or more competent people on voice in a squad to play with.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Liquid Penguins posted:

I'm holding out to see how rapidly they patch this game, maybe if they fix the performance problems the game will click for me? I really like the screen shake effects, model movement, and sound when shooting though. Guns look weighted and mechanical. I just wish dice wasn't full of poo poo.
To be fair to :dice: Premium pricing is set by EA and they probably pushed for it to make up BF3 and 4's insane budgets. I still think it's a garbage way to monetize the game that segments the community but that's EA's call.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Grey Fox V2 posted:

It doesn't help that for most of your examples there's a Dead Space 3, Crysis 2/3, Mass Effect 3, SimCity, or NFS: Most Wanted to point to. To be fair the new NFS game and BF4 do actually look pretty good, and maybe by some miracle they won't completely gently caress up Mirror's Edge 2. Given the success of games like Tomb Raider 2013 though I imagine Faith will end up murdering a thousand dudes by the end of the game.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Equilibrium posted:

It doesn't help that for most of your examples there's a Dead Space 3, Crysis 2/3, Mass Effect 3, SimCity, or NFS: Most Wanted to point to. To be fair the new NFS game and BF4 do actually look pretty good, and maybe by some miracle they won't completely gently caress up Mirror's Edge 2. Given the success of games like Tomb Raider 2013 though I imagine Faith will end up murdering a thousand dudes by the end of the game.

Using Crysis as an example is unfair, Crytek has always been a hilariously overrated developer by any stretch of the imagination. I also thought the newest NFS: Most Wanted was generally well received outside of a shrill embittered minority? The Run was hot garbage though.

None of this really has any bearing on BF4, which so far has been pretty fun, beta issues aside.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Hoo boy, do I love getting roadkills with a vehicle that has a big ol' dose of :smug: painted on the side

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

fivegears4reverse posted:

Using Crysis as an example is unfair, Crytek has always been a hilariously overrated developer by any stretch of the imagination. I also thought the newest NFS: Most Wanted was generally well received outside of a shrill embittered minority? The Run was hot garbage though.

Yeah I mixed up The Run and Most Wanted in my head. I don't think Most Wanted was bad so much as just not quite as good as Burnout Paradise.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I played a couple more rounds today and enjoyed it more than yesterday. Probably because I was playing on a more populated server. Felt more chaotic and hectic.

I'm still baffled as to why everything underwater looks ugly as sin, though. For as good as most of the game looks, it's pretty jarring to go underwater and see that. It's like they haven't changed it at all since BF2.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

fivegears4reverse posted:

None of this really has any bearing on BF4, which so far has been pretty fun, beta issues aside.

Far Cry was a good game, Crysis wasn't bad and broke a fair bit of new ground as well.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm still baffled as to why everything underwater looks ugly as sin, though. For as good as most of the game looks, it's pretty jarring to go underwater and see that. It's like they haven't changed it at all since BF2.

Yeah, needs more corals, fishes and most importantly, fish swarm AI like Call of Duty!

On a side note:
How does the ingame VOIP work?
Is it squad only? How can I mute dudes who won't shut the gently caress up?

Edit: gently caress you, RNG, two useless camos?
(Just kidding, I'm kinda cool with the concept of bonus battlechests)

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 5, 2013

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
How much heavier is Battlefield 4 versus 3? I imagine there's all sorts of new fancy dandy improvements that become more demanding, but my computer's performance between BF3 and BF4 at the same settings is kind of night and day.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
I hope with beta being an old build, that in the final game you can do a stairs slide jump with the jet ski and this wasn't just false advertising:

http://youtu.be/1SRxs5xYWuo?t=2m11s

If I try that in the beta it just hits an invisible wall. Pre-order cancelled :colbert:.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well I just tried the beta. Got a lot of random stuttering for no good reason. Basically great fps->superstutter->great fps which ruined a lot of the experience for me

Otherwise it seems okay I guess. I only played it for about 30 minutes and I'm not sure what the big changes are compared to BF3 but the map I played was big and interesting at least

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 5, 2013

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.
Try turning off all Origin notifications if you haven't. I had the same problem even at very low graphics and it didn't go away until I followed the suggestions from an earlier poster to do so.

How a little overlay message hook can lead to superstutter is beyond me, but I'm sure EA found a way.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Are there plans to bring back Wook-Wook on Mumble to facilitate goony tacticlol? A squad of people playing proper roles and communicating with each other would steamroll the other team of pubbies singlehandedly.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

suboptimal posted:

Are there plans to bring back Wook-Wook on Mumble to facilitate goony tacticlol? A squad of people playing proper roles and communicating with each other would steamroll the other team of pubbies singlehandedly.

Why not use in-game chat for this?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I really want to like the return of the Spec Ops class, but the C4 just feels like it's been neutered. It takes all three to MAYBE kill a tank, and forget jihading, which will at most disable unless you get really lucky.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
RPG killed two helicopters in my first beta match, and landed a well aimed infantry RPG snipe from a parachute. Did they increase the projectile velocity again or something? It doesn't feel as fast as the Carl G was in Bad Company 2 or anything but it seems quicker than BF3.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Carbon Deity posted:

I really want to like the return of the Spec Ops class, but the C4 just feels like it's been neutered. It takes all three to MAYBE kill a tank, and forget jihading, which will at most disable unless you get really lucky.

It takes 2 C4 to kill a tank. I've never seen a tank eat 3 bricks and I've been playing nothing but Recon since I finished unlocking all of the gadgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
For interested parties, here is the official Battlefield 4 Main Theme.

For comparison, here is the official Battlefield 3 Main Theme.

• Locked thread