Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

BigTwofer1 (Click box art to go to post)

Latest Updates
Sleeping Dogs - Complete!

Extra: Our discussion on why Sleeping Dogs is so good compared to other GTA-style games

Bioshock Infinite - Complete!

For the last two years, my LP team has done multiple LP threads at once several times. This time it's Travis (BigTUnit1)'s turn with simultaneous LPs of Sleeping Dogs and Bioshock Infinite. But instead of managing two separate threads, we're just gonna keep them together right here. It's a BigTwofer1!

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---Game Description---
Sleeping Dogs is an open world sandbox game set in crime-riddled Hong Kong. If you've played any of these games, you probably know what to expect (for reference, the original title of the game was True Crime: Hong Kong). It's fun to play and to watch, though, as the gameplay is tight and the story and acting are all very strong. The game is also riddled with douches.

The story is such:
You are Wei Shen, a Chinese-American cop who goes undercover in Hong Kong to take down the Triad gang, the Sun On Yee. The plan is for Wei to get in good with the leader douche Winston, all the while whittling down the gang's influence. However Wei walks right into the middle of a civil war, as prince douche Dogeyes has splintered off into his own faction of the Sun On Yee, and even more of the leader douches are vying for the spot of chairman. Wei must skirt the line between his devotion to the Triads and to the police force, all the while doing reprehensible things regardless of the mission. And wearing stupid clothes.

---LP Description---
Since there's so many side missions compared to story missions, Travis will simply do whatever missions he feels like doing at the time of recording. There will be at least one story mission per video, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extra: Our discussion on why Sleeping Dogs is so good compared to other GTA-style games

(By an-artist-complex)

(By Epee Em)

(By Ninjathehedgehog800, YouTube)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 31, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---Game Description---
Bioshock Infinite is a first-person shooter/adventure game set in the fictional flying city of Columbia. Gameplay follows the original Bioshocks closely: use of guns, bizarre powers (Vigors, in this case), a very brutal melee weapon. Where Infinite takes a detour is the Skyhook, one of the most exciting modes of transportation in recent gaming (which doubles as the aforementioned melee weapon), and your partner Elizabeth's...powers. More on that later.

But where the game shines on its own is the story and the presentation of the city, its inhabitants, and Elizabeth. It's an engrossing, and potentially uncomfortable, romp through themes of infinite universes, racism, spirituality, and fate.

The story is such:
You are Booker Dewitt, a private investigator who has been sent to the flying city of Columbia to find the mysterious girl, Elizabeth, to pay off his mounting debts. He enters a world ruled by patriotism-turned-religious zealotry, and he is quickly marked as a false shepherd by the inhabitants, destined to lead the future prophet astray. Thus begins a self-fulfilling prophecy of everyone attacking you, so you destroy the city and rescue Elizabeth, who is being pampered into the future prophet. Way to go, Columbians.

Does the story stay that simple? gently caress no.

---LP Description---
We intended to have two versions of each video: voice-commentated and subtitled, but we failed to actually hold onto the raw footage to do the subbed versions, so this is an all-commentated playthrough. Don't stress though; our commentary alternates just as easily from chaotic snark to serious, thoughtful discussion on the game's writing and design. If you would still prefer a quieter LP that better emphasizes Infinite's atmosphere, we recommend Sundowner's LP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(By an-artist-complex)

(By SilverDelta, Tumblr)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 15, 2014

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:allears: Sleeping Dogs seems to have come a long way from True Crime: Streets of LA. It desperately needs a full round of subtitles, though.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

As I have recorded about four parts ahead, they will still be without subtitles for a bit sadly. Rest assured, I will be sure to turn on subtitles in the future.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh? I was thinking the game just didn't offer them, but thank you. :)

At least you guys aren't making kalon's repeated mistake and recording everything before the thread starts. :v:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Sleeping Dogs is a really great game. But Germany got really screwed with it. It is partially banned here, so they made a version with some less violence. But the sad thing about that is, that this wont get any patches and no DLC. I am really lucky that I basically bought it on release, before the worse version came out.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Just a little tip, because the game never tells you this but seems to expect you to figure it out, if you tap the jump button (X in this case) just before you hit the ground from a fall, you can roll into the landing and keep your momentum, instead of Wei stopping and staggering back to his feet with broken shins. You never actually need it during the course of the game, but it does make the parkour action look a lot more slick.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
AUGH MAN I CAN'T EVEN HANDLE THIS DOUBLE SINGULARITY OF LPs!

This is gonna be so awesome to see you guys take these games on.

Also, I would like to request if you can put on subtitles for the English dialogue as well, cuz yanno, even for uncut versions or for those of us who are hard of hearing. Enjoying it so far! This game is already awesome for many MANY things and it is honestly one of the greatest if not the best entertaining open sandbox GTA-style game of this day and age.

I love the casting in this too, the guy who voiced Naz is one of my absolute favourite actors despite what little role he gets in this. Fun fact, Raymond is voiced by the guy who played Ryu in Street Fighter: The Movie, whereas Wei is voiced by the guy who played Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat: The Movie.
...I almost wonder if that was a coincidence or not.

As for why you have dudes called "Winston" in Hong Kong or so, lemme quote from another Sleeping Dogs thread that's going on from a pretty informative person.

Delacroix posted:

For countries like singapore or malayasia, it's common for people to have 'christian' or english names simply because it's easier for foreigners (like me! :sweatdrop:) to pronounce over their given name. I imagine it's a matter of convenience in hong kong too.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 6, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Plus also, the fact that Hong Kong was a British Colony for 100 years (hence why the police inspector is British too) might have contributed to his name.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It'll be interesting to see your collaborative take on this. Seems like the missions are designed to give you on average two shields (because you're bound to gently caress up and clip someone) and two triangles (unless you really milk for score), but it's odd that it adds up to so much more Triad experience than Face experience.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Yapping Eevee posted:

Oh? I was thinking the game just didn't offer them, but thank you. :)

At least you guys aren't making kalon's repeated mistake and recording everything before the thread starts. :v:

Sleeping Dogs actually has a variety of subtitle options--none, full, and an option for the subtitles to just kick on every time Chinese is used. It's great.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Glazius posted:

It'll be interesting to see your collaborative take on this. Seems like the missions are designed to give you on average two shields (because you're bound to gently caress up and clip someone) and two triangles (unless you really milk for score), but it's odd that it adds up to so much more Triad experience than Face experience.

Well, the Shields are cop XP, and there are much more chances in teh game to earn Cop XP than Traid. Face is something completely different.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I can already tell the inevitable fan art is going to be awesome.
"Looks like that Dogeyes is one 'ruff' character. Eh? Ehh?"

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
My name is Wei Shen, but people call me Pok Gai.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
This week, let's begin Bioshock Infinite:

Subtitle commentary coming later on Travis' solo channel, since the usual edited commentary version would be slapdash at best with this kind of game.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The moment I heard those old-timey voices, I knew I would love this LP. I really enjoy your commentary and since I played through this entire game, I really wanna see your reactions to all this.

So how many of you actually welled up with tears the moment you first saw Columbia? I did. God it just looks so beautiful and that soft piano just crystallises it nicely. I really love the music in this game.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
I actually felt like those bells you ring in the beginning were slightly too obvious (or rather I didn't like that my character held up the answer when approaching). Maybe that's just because I had already noted the combination on the boat and felt a bit cheated by being shown it again direct at the "puzzle".

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Are game subtitles going to be added to the Bioshock videos too?
I haven't played it before so I'd like to know what the characters are saying, but I'd also rather listen to your commentary rather than read subtitle commentary.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

FinalGamer posted:

Fun fact, Raymond is voiced by the guy who played Ryu in Street Fighter: The Movie, whereas Wei is voiced by the guy who played Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat: The Movie.
:eng101: Robin Shou aka Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat actually voices Conroy instead of Wei. Wei is played by Will Yun Lee (who, as it turns out, played Iori in that lovely King of Fighters film).

edit: Whenever I play that extortion mission, I make a point to throw the last guy over the chef's counter. He just slides over it on his face (there's a special animation and everything) and lands face first at the chef's feet, and the chef gives absolutely zero fucks. It's funny as hell.

Actually, have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODAHGXFOzR4

(It's the entire fight because I noticed there was some other fun stuff happening. I knew keeping the raw files for my attempted Sleeping Dogs LP would come in handy one day!)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 15, 2013

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

:eng101: Robin Shou aka Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat actually voices Conroy instead of Wei. Wei is played by Will Yun Lee (who, as it turns out, played Iori in that lovely King of Fighters film).
Ohhhh right that was it thanks...wow it's kinda weird we have three guys in this game who are all "famous" for playing main chars in movies based on videogames. Not that I mind, I think it's awesome, it's real cool to see these guys still keep on in the acting business. :D

Edit: The Britishness in those voices is extra clear in that whole dialogue and it is just delightful :allears: I totally understood what they meant.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 18, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I still love that 'He doesn't row' exchange. It's not hurt by Jennifer Hale's performance, which is stellar as always.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Seriously, every tester?

I half wonder if you're intended to replay this game and see what happens if you do the other thing.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Frisky, indeed.

If stealing a van full of watches is "frisky".

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I do love how hitting parking meters give you the cash from them.

poochiepoo
Oct 14, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

I do love how hitting parking meters give you the cash from them.

Does this also happen with the phone booth environment kill?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

poochiepoo posted:

Does this also happen with the phone booth environment kill?
Nope, just breaking parking meters.

I'd also like to point out that some missions actually DO have radio music pre-programmed into them specifically for just the right moment, such as that chase scene you guys had. Which I love and is a super-awesome idea.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you end all the videos by running into traffic and dying horribly?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Looking at Booker's mugshot, he reminds me a bit of a younger Andrew Ryan. Then again, it may be just me.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Fun fact, the Possession Vigor's whispering is actually quoting lines from Romeo and Juliet backwards.

I definitely loved the radio dialogue and the blatant twisting of words as well as the selectiveness, such as "MALICIOUSLY MURDERED CIVILIANS" and such, that's definitely a very subversive note of a rather...dictatorial or perhaps autocratical society where they do not speak truth but rather THEIR truths. Something happened, but the circumstances they change to their favour, and that's just the news reports when some bad poo poo happens like well, you causing havoc.

It's just one of many really neat touches that this game has.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Raven cult feels like it kind of got trotted out way early. You just walked in and punched out everybody, and they never really did a thing to you.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This week Travis gets off his medication just in time to have a rampage across the city.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This game has great music!
Just listen to the song which plays while you beat up that club.
You didn't grab any fishes though.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The karaoke section still remains the greatest part of the entire game.

Seriously, Sleeping Dogs is probably the best sandbox game out there. It's just...everything in that game is built to please so much. I'm pretty sure also that they even had the actor himself go INTO a karaoke club and just record him singing the stuff on its own. Which is awesome.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So many memories from the latest video. I really wish I could find my sleeping dogs copy to replay it now.

gently caress the minibuses. Love Kareokee, love the martial arts training. Face missions I found to eb fun. Cop hacking security cameras not so much.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The bus mission was kind of hilarious. Passengers with absolutely no short-term memory.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I love the saint-izing (sanitizing? Though that's still applicable in another sense) of the Founding Fathers by Comstock and Colombia in Bioshock:I. Mainly I love how Washington is seen after the baptism as holding a sword. Washington was a horrible general. He won very few battles, it's just that the ones he won were critical. What he was good at was rallying a country and keeping a rag-tag army together, even through retreats. He was also unbelievably lucky at times. The crossing of the Delaware to attack the Hessian camp? It succeeded because the leader of the Hessians was too busy playing poker to read his scout's report and stuck it in his pocket.

A great leader that could get men to follow him no matter how bad things were? Yes. A political Titan in his time after the revolution? Yes. A great military mind? At best he was competent and extremely lucky in the right places. The man wasn't an idiot but he was no Alexander or Caesar.

Edit: I really should finish the video before commenting. Thorn basically touched on it that these people are obviously blatantly missing the point of what the Founding Fathers worked for and wanted and re-writing them to back up their own twisted worldview.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 8, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Alkydere posted:

I love the saint-izing (sanitizing? Though that's still applicable in another sense) of the Founding Fathers by Comstock and Colombia in Bioshock:I. Mainly I love how Washington is seen after the baptism as holding a sword. Washington was a horrible general. He won very few battles, it's just that the ones he won were critical. What he was good at was rallying a country and keeping a rag-tag army together, even through retreats. He was also unbelievably lucky at times. The crossing of the Delaware to attack the Hessian camp? It succeeded because the leader of the Hessians was too busy playing poker to read his scout's report and stuck it in his pocket.

A great leader that could get men to follow him no matter how bad things were? Yes. A political Titan in his time after the revolution? Yes. A great military mind? At best he was competent and extremely lucky in the right places. The man wasn't an idiot but he was no Alexander or Caesar.

Edit: I really should finish the video before commenting. Thorn basically touched on it that these people are obviously blatantly missing the point of what the Founding Fathers worked for and wanted and re-writing them to back up their own twisted worldview.

I believe the word you are looking for is Canonizing.

Also, look at how they revere Franklin, who was pretty much a drunken poonhound, who is completely at odds with their values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I believe the word you are looking for is Canonizing.

Also, look at how they revere Franklin, who was pretty much a drunken poonhound, who is completely at odds with their values.

Man loved French MILFs, that's for sure. Also, however helpful the knowledge gained was towards our understanding of electricity, I have a hard time revering someone who went out and flew a kite near a thunderstorm as a bringer of knowledge. That's the kind of activity that earns you the nickname "Charcoal Briquette".

• Locked thread