Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Welsper posted:

Firstly, sell one of your 680s and buy an SSD.

Christ, I had totally forgotten about that. Bear with me, i've been drinking a bit this evening. Yeah, I have a 125 GB SSD; but when I install the game via Origin, it doesn't give me the option to install it to said SSD; it just goes from downloading the game to installing it automatically on my C: drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Gonz posted:

Christ, I had totally forgotten about that. Bear with me, i've been drinking a bit this evening. Yeah, I have a 125 GB SSD; but when I install the game via Origin, it doesn't give me the option to install it to said SSD; it just goes from downloading the game to installing it automatically on my C: drive.

There's a setting in Origin that lets you set where you want your game installs to go. I don't think you can do it on a per-game basis though.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
I am running Windows 8. How do I know if I have the newest DirectX (11.2). As well, where would I go to download it. Microsofts site gave me confusing information. I just want a simple download link. Is that so much to ask in this day and age :/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Don't uninstall+reinstall PunkBuster (as it's unlikely to fix things, given how poo poo PunkBuster is), instead you should run pbsetup.exe and pbsvc.exe (both of which can be downloaded from the official site) to respectively add+update and make sure the pnkbstrA.exe + pnkbstrB.exe are able to properly communicate with each other (one being an always-on service, the other being a game-dependant service).

nihil morari posted:

I am running Windows 8. How do I know if I have the newest DirectX (11.2). As well, where would I go to download it. Microsofts site gave me confusing information. I just want a simple download link. Is that so much to ask in this day and age :/
There's a nice little program called dxdiag.exe located in C:\Windows\System32 which can tell you everything you need to know (and more).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 6, 2013

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

nihil morari posted:

If you are running Windows 8, you have DirectX 11.1 as it's included in the OS. DirectX 11.2 comes with Windows 8.1. But if you want to make sure your DirectX is appropiate for Battlefield, there is a redistributable packed with the Battlefield 4 Beta (Path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4 Beta\__Installer\directx\redist").

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Couple of quick questions.

Does the PC version have controller support yet?
and
How likely is it that I will be chastised and stuffed in a locker for using a controller?

I would like to play with some goony goons.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I think it does, and yes, learn to use a mouse and keyboard and stop being a scrub. Start pwning them instead.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the controller will be fine for the campaign, and maybe flying vehicles... but good luck playing online with one.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If you mean controlling infantry and not flying you will get destroyed in most situations.

BF3 question. Origin keeps getting stuck "synchronising cloud data". I've tried restarting etc, any ideas?

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Controller feels much more natural for vehicles though :( and I have been playing FPS games exclusively on console for the past 10+ years so I would be dreadful on mouse and keyboard.

Regarding the post above, people said the same thing about Planetside but I did much better than even I expected with a controller.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Revitalized posted:

There's a setting in Origin that lets you set where you want your game installs to go. I don't think you can do it on a per-game basis though.

Yes, you can. Previously installed games will not be moved when you change the setting.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

BORK! BORK! posted:

Controller feels much more natural for vehicles though :( and I have been playing FPS games exclusively on console for the past 10+ years so I would be dreadful on mouse and keyboard.

Regarding the post above, people said the same thing about Planetside but I did much better than even I expected with a controller.

I'd stick to vehicles and maybe sniping, any sort of death match situation you will lose probably unless you are an MLG console guy.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BORK! BORK! posted:

I used to play Halo ect on Xbox and trust me making the swap to mouse and keyboard is amazing.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It's nice to play controller against other controllers but it isn't fun to play controllers against keyboards.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BORK! BORK! posted:

They changed the gamepad controls and now throttle is handled with the analog stick. I mean, it's probably still better than a mouse for the helicopter but it's way worse for tanks. I see no reason not to try it for yourself though, unless you're trying to get better it'll be fine. The best you can ever hope for is pubstardom, but that's fine right?

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
So anybody else unable to play at all? When I manage to get in a server past the loading screen, and it doesnt freeze or get stuck on another black loading screen, I can't deploy. I try to click on any deploy points, hit deploy, sometimes I can see my guy in a little camera view in the bottom left, but I cant control him other than change the laser sight from on to off (thanks tooltip) and cannot close the deploy screen at all. I looked for an answer, all I get is a problem with punkbuster, I uninstalled and reinstalled, no :dice:

Cpl. Coldone
Apr 2, 2008

Gonz posted:

STUTTER

STUTTER

STUTTER

STUTTER

STUTTER

STUTTER

STUTTER

Try the game on low cpu priority fix. Fixed it for me as I noticed no change in fps on any setting except the stuttering went away completely.

Open battlelog, start a game on a server you want to play on, open windows task manager click the processes tab right click bf4.exe set priority to low.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Sandweed posted:

Have you jihad jetskied the boat yet? It's the most battlefield thing i have done so far.

Oooh, not yet, but thanks for the idea. I did manage to send a wired up transport helo careening majestically into a full capacity LAV yesterday.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e - nevermind, it works now.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Jippa posted:

Does "wrong email or password" mean that battle log is down?
Probably not. But it seems like it!

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

So anybody else unable to play at all? When I manage to get in a server past the loading screen, and it doesnt freeze or get stuck on another black loading screen, I can't deploy. I try to click on any deploy points, hit deploy, sometimes I can see my guy in a little camera view in the bottom left, but I cant control him other than change the laser sight from on to off (thanks tooltip) and cannot close the deploy screen at all. I looked for an answer, all I get is a problem with punkbuster, I uninstalled and reinstalled, no :dice:

I had this exact problem and it turns out punkbuster was the issue. However, I didn't uninstall it first though, I merely downloaded the little program from their website and used it to patch for BF4. Totally fixed my problem and now the only thing I suffer from is some very occasional random game crashes but a lot of people seem to be getting that and it's a beta after all.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Made a better Serious Sam-blem:

Grab it while you can since I'll switch it soon: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/GGHaggardJr/stats/224949198/pc/

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 6, 2013

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

BORK! BORK! posted:

Several software companies have tested out console/PC cross-platform gaming and universally find that KB/mouse players obliterate controller users. Target acquisition is just so much faster. It is objectively better. So much better that KB/Mouse attachments to consoles can actually get you permanently banned from a game. Not a server. A game. They take away your online privileges forever. It's that much of an advantage.

In vehicles the gap is probably much smaller, but on foot you're playing with a major handicap.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Man, I'm almost rank 10 and I'm already burnt out on the game. I can't play unless it's with someone else. I just wanted to hop on and turn the sound up real loud and go all war mode and I just couldn't really get into it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Ularg posted:

Man, I'm almost rank 10 and I'm already burnt out on the game. I can't play unless it's with someone else. I just wanted to hop on and turn the sound up real loud and go all war mode and I just couldn't really get into it.

I'm back to playing bf3, I just can't deal with 20-30 fps so I'll wait for the release build.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Jippa posted:

I'm back to playing bf3, I just can't deal with 20-30 fps so I'll wait for the release build.

As soon as I opened up BF3 I got a bluescreen for memory management. Got really mad I nearly screamed and just went and booted up my PS3 instead. Tried playing GTA Online, lost my internet connection, I DID scream. Now I'm playing Kingdom of Amalur.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Ularg posted:

They'll probably release the Paracel Storm map towards the end of the beta if the BF3 beta is anything to go by with Caspian Border. Shanghai is a fantastic map though, I've apparently put 16 hours in and still not tired of it :shobon:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Lugaloco posted:

They'll probably release the Paracel Storm map towards the end of the beta if the BF3 beta is anything to go by with Caspian Border. Shanghai is a fantastic map though, I've apparently put 16 hours in and still not tired of it :shobon:

I love the map. I can't get enough playing with goons. I just got enough playing by myself. I don't know why I can't just turn the sound and graphics up and just enjoy the show. :(

Sometimes the voices of VOIP distract too much from just going with the flow and playing the game like a trailer.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lugaloco posted:

Yeah, it's really solidly designed. There's a major chokepoint around C that allows for nice big battles, but at the same time the U-shape and watercraft keep things from become too static and meatgrindy. The only annoying thing is people squatting on roofs all day long, but I suppose once commanders/tomahawks and mortars are implemented that'll change. Or at least provide an opportunity to farm a ridiculous amount of kills :getin:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I really wish there could be something done about the levolution to make it a bit more challenging than sniping pillars with a tank at the riverside of your spawn. I thought it was more exciting when I didn't know how to take it down and me and my friends were trying to place C4 on structural weakpoints we thought would work on the inside of the bottom level.

Hell, let us scale the elevator shaft and plant C4.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

BORK! BORK! posted:

Try forcing yourself to play a week or so with the mouse and keyboard. I have a friend who used to swear with controllers like you did, but after a week of sticking with mouse and keyboard he never looked back.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I think I need to get together with goons for this to reach maximum enjoyment. Running around alone with anonymous pubbies isn't exciting and never was

SirScorpion
Jul 10, 2013
The game is not fun unless its with a squad you know and even then its a bit mediocre.

Not sure why they did that with vehicle combat, it feels like a pinata land where you have to hit things 5 times to kill it, only saving grace for that segment is how tanks drive which is the best handling i have ever seen in any game involving tanks.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
According to the forums, my Phenom II x6 1090T is one of the CPUs that are having trouble and hitting 100% CPU usage in-game :argh:

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

mcbexx posted:

Holy poo poo, that looks like some Doom/Duke Nukem poo poo compared to what we have today.
Nostalgia is a bitch. I don't remember it looking that bad.

How do those rose tinted glasses work?
Is it because we look at games today and transfer the quality to our memories and our mind goes "Well, since 1942 was awesome back then, it must have looked pretty drat cool, so here, have a fake/distorted memory"?

Nah, he's playing on lowest detail settings or something. BF 1942 looks old, for sure, but not that bad.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I have to say, I really hope they roll out a better build in beta. I'd like to see how the game runs when it's supposed to. The stuttering issues are pretty much terrible, and I reinstalled BF3 last night to compare and it's night and day. I was pulling 100+ FPS ultra in BF3, 300+ fps in League. Yet BF 4 is pretty much unplayable without doing all sorts of fixes, and even when I do those, the game still runs in a sub par state, and could crash at any time. There is no reason for this with a machine that I'm running. I really hope that if it's not fixed within 24h of release that EA will actually honor the money back guarantee. If it's an issue of windows 7 vs 8, that they fix that as well. I'm not going to upgrade to Win 8 because of one game. Optimally I'd like to be able to play the game at a great framerate like my computer should be able to with zero issues like every other game out. I don't understand why they wouldn't be using one of the latest builds they have in this beta as it's a great chance to test the build on the most machines possible.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

What do you do when your squad's tank is full? You crawl on top and be a third gunner. :stare:

You don't clip off tanks anymore, I just hitched a ride to the other end of the map by crawling on a friendly tank. :getin:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah the microstuttering is obnoxious so I'll just give up for now until they fix it

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I found going to general/gameplay options and turning Network Smoothing Factor to 100% fixed my stuttering problems completely. Core i7 920 3.20GHz, 660ti and 12GB RAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

SirScorpion posted:

The game is not fun unless its with a squad you know and even then its a bit mediocre.

Not sure why they did that with vehicle combat, it feels like a pinata land where you have to hit things 5 times to kill it, only saving grace for that segment is how tanks drive which is the best handling i have ever seen in any game involving tanks.

Yeah when you play with friends or get lucky and join a good squad it's amazingly fun.
My problem with the game is when I surprise multiple people. I'm like a colorblind lion attacking a zebra herd, I don't know who to shoot! I'll shoot at everybody, empty the weapon and get stabbed in the back. :saddowns:

• Locked thread