Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
In new, "lets make a silly deck news", I was peer pressured into making this.
Deck: Maze's End 2.0

//Lands
4 Maze's End
2 Orzhov Guildgate
2 Azorius Guildgate
1 Izzet Guildgate
2 Golgari Guildgate
2 Dimir Guildgate
1 Gruul Guildgate
1 Boros Guildgate
2 Simic Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Selesnya Guildgate
1 Forest
1 Island
1 Swamp
1 Plains

//creatures
4 Gatecreeper Vine
2 Prophet of Kruphix
4 Voyaging Satyr
3 Saruli Gatekeepers

//spells
2 Quicken
3 Dreadbore
3 Hero's Downfall
4 Supreme Verdict
4 Merciless Eviction
3 Into the Wilds
4 Urban Evolution

Display deck statisticsIt rings of a deck a friend of mine made for his usual FNM, which was nothing but lands, keyrunes, boardwipes, (for INN/RTR, so he had more totally good ones like Terminus), and won with Door to nothingness or eventual beatdowns. I'd be interested in some general feedback, but this is mostly about sharing. I haven't yet found something I really want to make for Standard play, so i'm mostly just drifting around from idea to idea. (I do love Murder Goats though. I love it so very much.)

E: updated list. E2:again. because i posted the wrong list.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

What does this deck do about Aetherling, and why no Mutavault to deal with getting wrathed?

Fake edit: Are you on the "Hope a Pthing Needle sticks" plan for Aetherling? I think the problem is that they'll have artifact hate for your Bows + ratchet bombs for your one drops anyway.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I went to the local game cafe where I got some advice on making my red/green deck, and here's what I have in the deck right now:

Lands:
13 Mountain
9 Forest

Creatures:
1 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Anthousa, Setessan Hero
2 Polis Crusher
2 Firedrinker Satyr
1 Ogre Battledriver
1 Guttersnipe
1 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Firefist Striker
1 Young Pyromancer
4 Akroan Crusader
2 Gore-House Chainwalker

Spells:
1 Hammer of Purphoros
2 Magma Jet
1 Ordeal of Purphoros
1 Flames of the Firebrand
4 Giant Growth
4 Shock
2 Titan's Strength
1 Lightning Strike

This is what I have right now until I can replace other cards for some like additional Young Pyromancers and more.

How does this look?

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

In new, "lets make a silly deck news", I was peer pressured into making this.
Deck: Maze's End 2.0 I'd be interested in some general feedback, but this is mostly about sharing. I haven't yet found something I really want to make for Standard play, so i'm mostly just drifting around from idea to idea. (I do love Murder Goats though. I love it so very much.)

E: updated list. E2:again. because i posted the wrong list.

I would run Hold The Gates since it's nothing but positive for a deck like this.

Sideboard Crackling Perimeter just for redirect towards planeswalkers.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

AgentSythe posted:

What does this deck do about Aetherling, and why no Mutavault to deal with getting wrathed?

Fake edit: Are you on the "Hope a Pthing Needle sticks" plan for Aetherling? I think the problem is that they'll have artifact hate for your Bows + ratchet bombs for your one drops anyway.

I actually forgot that Mutavault was a thing, I'll throw them in as a 3 or 4 of and see how much it messes with being able to play the early GG cards.

The Aetherling plan is pretty much the Pithing Needle plan, is there anything else that green has to take care of it? I'm expecting to be pretty soft to blue, I originally had Savage Summoning in the board to recover from wipes, but Boon Satyr and Mistcutter Hydra seem to cover that a little better.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Here is the final version of my Izzit Blitz for now.

Deck: Izzet Blitz

//Lands
8 Island
2 Izzet Guildgate
8 Mountain
4 Steam Vents

//Spells
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Izzet Charm
3 Magma Jet
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Quicken
4 Shock
4 Steam Augury

//Creatures
4 Guttersnipe
3 Nivix Cyclops
4 Spellheart Chimera
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
3 Peak Eruption
3 Annul
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Counterflux
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
2 Electrickery

Display deck statistics

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

I went to the local game cafe where I got some advice on making my red/green deck, and here's what I have in the deck right now:

Lands:
13 Mountain
9 Forest

Creatures:
1 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Anthousa, Setessan Hero
2 Polis Crusher
2 Firedrinker Satyr
1 Ogre Battledriver
1 Guttersnipe
1 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Firefist Striker
1 Young Pyromancer
4 Akroan Crusader
2 Gore-House Chainwalker

Spells:
1 Hammer of Purphoros
2 Magma Jet
1 Ordeal of Purphoros
1 Flames of the Firebrand
4 Giant Growth
4 Shock
2 Titan's Strength
1 Lightning Strike

This is what I have right now until I can replace other cards for some like additional Young Pyromancers and more.

How does this look?

Your deck doesn't really have a clear strategy, at first glance. I understand you're new so you might not have a wide selection of cards, but cards like Polukranos and Anthousa don't really go in the same deck as Firedrinker Satyr or Guttersnipe. This is a good article that explains the concept of deck types better than I ever could.

Regardless, it's a good start, but I'd begin by deciding if you prefer to play your larger, more expensive creatures, or if you prefer your wins to come off of fast draws from your smaller creatures. If the first, look to pick up some mana generating creatures like Elvish Mystics or Sylvan Caryatids (the first is a cheap M14 common, the second is a new Theros rare); these creatures essentially let you play two lands per turn, and help you get your big creatures out faster to close the game out. If you prefer the second strategy, look for cards like Burning-Tree Emissary or Rakdos Cackler, who are very mana efficient, which allows you to play many creatures per turn and overwhelm your opponent with threats.

The last point is that cards like Giant Growth and Titan's Strength can be liabilities if you aren't careful. If you cast it on a creature, your opponent might play a removal spell in response, and you'll lose two cards for your opponent's one. This can be pretty devastating in Magic and, if it adds up, will quickly lose you the game. If you like the pump spells, cards like Ghor-Clan Rampager are all-stars, because if you think your opponent is holding removal, it can still be played as its own separate creature. Unfortunately these don't trigger Heroic, but they're more consistent and help you avoid situations where the only way to proceed is risking your opponent getting an easy source of card advantage.

\/\/\/ oh man that's important. Yes, trample is extremely powerful, especially as a pump spell, and especially especially if you're playing aggressively. Ghor-Clan Rampager owns.

Soothing Cacophony fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 4, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AgentSythe posted:

You can't really 'deal with' Aetherling - that dude usually sticks after several wraths and revelations have already put you out of the game. It's not a means to an end so much as something that shows up to perform the formality of actually killing the opponent.

Also Pithing Needle is actually pretty awesome because U/W doesn't devote a lot of slots to killing artifacts. D-sphere and Ratchet Bomb out of the sideboard are basically it.

Soothing Cacophony posted:

The last point is that cards like Giant Growth and Titan's Strength can be liabilities if you aren't careful. If you cast it on a creature, your opponent might play a removal spell in response, and you'll lose two cards for your opponent's one. This can be pretty devastating in Magic and, if it adds up, will quickly lose you the game. If you like the pump spells, cards like Ghor-Clan Rampager are all-stars, because if you think your opponent is holding removal, it can still be played as its own separate creature. Unfortunately these don't trigger Heroic, but they're more consistent and help you avoid situations where the only way to proceed is risking your opponent getting an easy source of card advantage.

The other part that's a huge difference between Ghor-Clan Rampager and the instant pump spells is that the former grants trample which is a huge deal.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 4, 2013

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zoness posted:

You can't really 'deal with' Aetherling - that dude usually sticks after several wraths and revelations have already put you out of the game. It's not a means to an end so much as something that shows up to perform the formality of actually killing the opponent.

Also Pithing Needle is actually pretty awesome because U/W doesn't devote a lot of slots to killing artifacts. D-sphere and Ratchet Bomb out of the sideboard are basically it.

The other part that's a huge difference between Ghor-Clan Rampager and the instant pump spells is that the former grants trample which is a huge deal.

Pretty much. I have seen some UW variants running Cyclonic Rift (I even side-deck a few) since instant-speed removal isn't a luxury most non-Esper control decks have. Blow P-Needle (or everything if overloaded) back to your hand at your end step just to create the gap needed to play everything I need and leave mana open to counter things I don't want to see come back.

Captain Filth
May 7, 2007
Going to give this deck a try at FNM, made out of cards I already have so I don't need to try and order any and hope they make it in time. Any glaring holes or ideas anyone thinks might help make it less bad would be appreciated.

//Creature (23)
4 Deadbridge Goliath
3 Dreg Mangler
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Lotleth Troll
4 Reaper of the Wilds
4 Scavenging Ooze

//Enchantment Creature (4)
4 Boon Satyr

//Instant (10)
3 Doom Blade
2 Golgari Charm
2 Hero's Downfall
3 Putrefy

//Land (23)
12 Forest
3 Golgari Guildgate
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Swamp

SB: 3 Duress
SB: 2 Golgari Charm
SB: 1 Primeval Bounty
SB: 4 Ranger's Guile
SB: 1 Thoughtseize
SB: 4 Witchstalker

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Captain Filth posted:

Going to give this deck a try at FNM, made out of cards I already have so I don't need to try and order any and hope they make it in time. Any glaring holes or ideas anyone thinks might help make it less bad would be appreciated.
-- GB Rockish --

I think your list begs to have Desecration Demon in it. Also you have the tools to make pretty good use of 1-2 Whip of Erebos. Abrupt decay is often used in GB. Other than that seems fine.

burntnorton
Mar 6, 2006

Been working on a draw-go Izzet Control deck, would appreciate any feedback. Here's the current lineup --

4x Steam Vents
4x Izzet Guildgate
8x Mountain
8x Island

2x AEtherling
2x Spellheart Chimera
4x Izzet Staticaster

2x Jace, Architect of Thought

4x Magma Jet
4x Izzet Charm
4x Dissolve
4x Steam Augury
4x Thoughtflare
4x Turn//Burn
1x Anger of the Gods
1x Syncopate

The plan is to use cheap removal and counters to navigate the early game, with Magma Jet and Izzet Charm helping to fix. At 4/5 mana, start using card drawers to get to a finisher and/or bigger removal.

Right now I'm planning on the following moves once I have the chance to pick up the cards:

-2 Spellheart Chimera, +2 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius (I love the Chimera but he's not working in control)
-1 Izzet Staticaster, +1 Anger of the Gods (Staticaster is good vs. aggro and can top off my low-damage burns or kill Turned guys, but a 2nd Anger gives more versatility to the deck as a whole)
-1 Thoughtflare, +1 Jace, AoT (Thoughtflare works very well with the Chimera but merely works well otherwise, Jace is more versatile)

I would rather just run AEtherling by himself as the finisher and board in a 2nd finisher, but Steam Augury seems to necessitate devoting more slots to finishers in the main since there's too much of a risk of the opponent binning one via Augury.

Sideboard is pretty much random guessing at this point, but thinking Jace, Memory Adept for the mirror, Pithing Needle, Ratchet Bomb, Annihilating Fire for Voice of Resurgence, more Angers, maybe Ral Zarek, maybe Curse of the Swine, maybe Skullcrack for Sphinx's Revelation, maybe Mizzium Mortars for midrange.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
No offense but that doesn't look like Control to me. You need more sweepers and counters. Definitely go up to a minimum of 3 Anger of the Gods. I also think you need 4 Syncopates in there to make it more Control-oriented. You might also want some Cyclonic Rifts in there too so you can overload them.

Why 4 Izzet Staticasters and not 4 AEtherling and/or 4 Spellheart Chimera? Those are your win conditions, right? If you're using the Staticasters to stall, I'd go with Young Pyromancer instead because he can poop out defensive tokens and you can attack with them if the board state allows you to do so early on. Why would you put in Niv-Mizzet when you can just add 2 more AEtherlings? They cost the same and AEtherling is a better win condition.

Thoughtflare is Bad. Steam Augury is way better so stick with that.

Here's my suggestion:

-4 Izzet Staticaster
+2 AEtherling
+2 Spellheart Chimera

-4 Turn // Burn
+3 Syncopate
+1 Jace, AoT

-4 Thoughtflare
+2 Cyclonic Rift
+2 Anger of the Gods

If you don't like Cyclonic Rift then go with a 4th Anger of the Gods instead and maybe a singleton Ratchet Bomb to round things out.

burntnorton
Mar 6, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

No offense but that doesn't look like Control to me. You need more sweepers and counters. Definitely go up to a minimum of 3 Anger of the Gods. I also think you need 4 Syncopates in there to make it more Control-oriented. You might also want some Cyclonic Rifts in there too so you can overload them.

Why 4 Izzet Staticasters and not 4 AEtherling and/or 4 Spellheart Chimera? Those are your win conditions, right? If you're using the Staticasters to stall, I'd go with Young Pyromancer instead because he can poop out defensive tokens and you can attack with them if the board state allows you to do so early on. Why would you put in Niv-Mizzet when you can just add 2 more AEtherlings? They cost the same and AEtherling is a better win condition.

Thoughtflare is Bad. Steam Augury is way better so stick with that.

Here's my suggestion:

-4 Izzet Staticaster
+2 AEtherling
+2 Spellheart Chimera

-4 Turn // Burn
+3 Syncopate
+1 Jace, AoT

-4 Thoughtflare
+2 Cyclonic Rift
+2 Anger of the Gods

If you don't like Cyclonic Rift then go with a 4th Anger of the Gods instead and maybe a singleton Ratchet Bomb to round things out.

Staticaster is in there because he has flash.

Running 4 AEtherlings and no one else leaves the deck vulnerable to Slaughter Games or Pithing Needle (or Council of the Absolute if anyone starts running that). Maybe 3x AEtherling and 1x Niv-Mizzet.

Steam Augury on its own doesn't seem like enough instant-speed draw to me. This deck's going to be doing nothing but going 1-for-1 early on. Thoughtflare definitely gets me the best 2 cards out of my next 4, which is more than Augury or Jace can say. Opportunity is just a little too slow, Inspiration too inefficient, and Divination is a sorcery.

I don't want to cut Turn // Burn because it's a way to deal with high toughness creatures (either through casting the full card or Turn + Staticaster) that also gives me supplemental cheap burn early on if I need it. But I do agree that 1 or 2 more counters are probably needed, either Syncopates or Essence Scatters.

Maybe this?

24 lands

3x AEtherling
1x Niv-Mizzet
3x Izzet Staticaster

3x Jace, AoT

4x Magma Jet
4x Izzet Charm
4x Steam Augury
3x Turn//Burn
3x Dissolve
3x Syncopate
2x Thoughtflare
2x Anger of the Gods
1x Cyclonic Rift

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

burntnorton posted:

Running 4 AEtherlings and no one else leaves the deck vulnerable to Council of the Absolute
Read
The
Friendly
Card

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

burntnorton posted:

Running 4 AEtherlings and no one else leaves the deck vulnerable to Slaughter Games or Pithing Needle (or Council of the Absolute if anyone starts running that).

What format are we playing again?

Aetherling should pretty much never be more than a 2-of in any deck.

burntnorton posted:

That has almost no bearing on whether or not it belongs in a control deck.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 4, 2013

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Any standard MBC players out there? I'm working on a deck that should at least be fun to play. It's a little more midrange oriented than I normally prefer (at the end of last season, I was running a deck with close to 20 removal spells, including mutilate, crypt ghast, staff of nin, and griselbrand), but, you work with what you've got:

Deck: MBC

//Main
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
2 Whip of Erebos
2 Underworld Connections
2 Lifebane Zombie
4 Desecration Demon
3 Disciple of Phenax
3 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
1 Abhorrent Overlord
3 Liliana of the Dark Realms
2 Thoughtseize
4 Doom Blade
3 Hero's Downfall
3 Read the Bones
2 Rescue from the Underworld
20 Swamp
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Mutavault

//Sideboard
2 Thoughtseize
1 Hero's Downfall
1 Underworld Connections
2 Lifebane Zombie
3 Ultimate Price
3 Pharika's Cure

Display deck statistics

Some thoughts...Disciple may not be all that great, or he could be amazing. As I don't have my sideboard fully rounded out, I may add one each of him and merchant.
I'm not sure 2 Thoughtseize belong main, but, it helps us keep our devotion going (by eliminating threats like supreme verdict or anger).

Captain Filth
May 7, 2007

TenjouUtena posted:

I think your list begs to have Desecration Demon in it. Also you have the tools to make pretty good use of 1-2 Whip of Erebos. Abrupt decay is often used in GB. Other than that seems fine.

I thought about Desecration Demon but was concered that with all the double green also having double black might be a bit shaky with out the innistrad duals to help smooth out the mana. Abrubt decay is really good and maybe I will try a 1-2 or 2-1 split and see how that works. Normally I would have them where the golgari charm is but with how control seems to be big right now and therefore sweepers plus the amount of enchantments in this block I thought I would give the charms a shot. Thanks for the input.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

burntnorton posted:

Running 4 AEtherlings and no one else leaves the deck vulnerable to Slaughter Games or Pithing Needle (or Council of the Absolute if anyone starts running that). Maybe 3x AEtherling and 1x Niv-Mizzet.

Steam Augury on its own doesn't seem like enough instant-speed draw to me. This deck's going to be doing nothing but going 1-for-1 early on. Thoughtflare definitely gets me the best 2 cards out of my next 4, which is more than Augury or Jace can say. Opportunity is just a little too slow, Inspiration too inefficient, and Divination is a sorcery.

I don't want to cut Turn // Burn because it's a way to deal with high toughness creatures (either through casting the full card or Turn + Staticaster) that also gives me supplemental cheap burn early on if I need it. But I do agree that 1 or 2 more counters are probably needed, either Syncopates or Essence Scatters.

Maybe this?

24 lands

3x AEtherling
1x Niv-Mizzet
3x Izzet Staticaster

3x Jace, AoT

4x Magma Jet
4x Izzet Charm
4x Steam Augury
3x Turn//Burn
3x Dissolve
3x Syncopate
2x Thoughtflare
2x Anger of the Gods
1x Cyclonic Rift

I shall preface this with...It's your deck. Run what you want.

And I looooove Niv-Mizzet. But really, you don't want Niv-Mizzet. :smith:

I still don't get why you're running Turn//Burn. You reeeeeeaaally don't care about high toughness creatures since you're going to be phasing right through them when you finally do attack.
I guess I just don't understand your thought-process. You have all of this draw and discard, but none of the cards that benefit off of either drawing, discarding, or the use of instants/sorceries. If you want a second win conditions, you really should but Spellheart back in there. Once you've tuned your counterspells properly, you should be able to keep him alive. And once you get mid/late-game you don't really need more than one good swing out of a Chimera to put your opponent within easy killing range of Aetherling.

Jolly Guy
Sep 24, 2011
Went to my first post rotation Standard night and kicked rear end (4-0) with Esper Control. Decklist: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/esper-post-theros-1/. As stated in the description there are a few substitutions to be made. I played a friendly against a RG midrange guy with 3x Domri Rade's and they just really kicked my rear end as I would have already used Detention Sphere against other threats. I do realize once I get my 2xHero's Downfall and 2xThoughtseize subbed in things should be a bit better, but just wondering if there any other obvious suggestions I'm missing? A green Glare of Heresy would be nice!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Malgrin posted:

Any standard MBC players out there? I'm working on a deck that should at least be fun to play. It's a little more midrange oriented than I normally prefer (at the end of last season, I was running a deck with close to 20 removal spells, including mutilate, crypt ghast, staff of nin, and griselbrand), but, you work with what you've got:

Deck: MBC

I'm hoping to run monoblack this Standard season, but it's more aggro than control. If I can get motivated I might proxy up the missing parts and test out at the local GPT today. If you're more midrange then maybe you can get some inspiration from my list?-

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 6, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Sorry to double-post, but I came up with a rough draft of a Crosis EDH deck I want to build-

Deck: Knockoff Crosis EDH

I'm just getting back into Magic in general and into EDH specifically so I don't have many of the format staples like Sol Ring or Top, and I didn't even have as many big creatures as I thought I would. My philosophy with this deck, then, was to simply borrow the good stuff that people play with cards like Confiscate, Psychic Intrusion, and Phyrexian Infiltrator (which combos well with Crystal Shard), or try to keep others from drawing/casting their good stuff. I also tried to include cards that got better with more players in the game (the different Lhurgoyfs, Beast of Burden etc. but I can't find my Syphon Minds :()

Is simply stealing what other people play a valid enough strategy for this format? Does it come across as having a good enough grasp of the format (for example, does the scaling up of cards like Magnivore with more than two players outweigh the prevalence of graveyard hate in the format?) I had a hard time cutting this deck down to 60 non-lands, which might be too many lands but my fixing isn't great either. I also don't have any really good sweepers, but one guy at my LGS runs a Norin the Wary deck that can generates a ton of 1/1s so I wanted a couple of light sweepers for that. Now that I'm back on a payroll I can maybe track down the EDH staples, so if there are Grixis-specific ones please let me know what they are. If it helps, my deckbox should have all my rares and uncommons and here are some of the last cuts that I made:

Red: Gratuitous Violence, Kumano, Possessed Barbarian, Shatter, Recoup
Black: Shadow of Doubt, Sengir Vampire, Repentant Vampire, Raise Dead (in favor of Morgue Theft), Diabolic Edict (in favor of Chainer's Edict), Barter in Blood
Blue: Possessed Aven, Brain Freeze, Lost in Thought, Web of Inertia, Propaganda, Telepathy, Daze, Opportunity
Other: Veilstone Amulet, Tower of Calamities, Urza's Armor, Angelheart Vial, Sculpting Steel (another "borrow stuff" card), Fireshrieker, Riptide Replicator

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 6, 2013

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Deck: Motion Denied

Here is the Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDHA deck I'm working on. Like C-Euro, I'm missing many, many staples and a lot of the cards (especially the creatures) are just filler until I can get my hands on anything better. I would like some general advice on it, though. Are there any glaring flaws and which cards should be a priority to replace?

Next I'm going to work on a (combination of) green EDH deck, either with Rubinia Soulsinger (to be swapped with Phelddagrif should the mood strike me), Kresh the Bloodbraided, or one of each.

Hot Dog Hotline
Jul 24, 2004

Hello? Hello?

Jolly Guy posted:

Went to my first post rotation Standard night and kicked rear end (4-0) with Esper Control. Decklist: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/esper-post-theros-1/. As stated in the description there are a few substitutions to be made. I played a friendly against a RG midrange guy with 3x Domri Rade's and they just really kicked my rear end as I would have already used Detention Sphere against other threats. I do realize once I get my 2xHero's Downfall and 2xThoughtseize subbed in things should be a bit better, but just wondering if there any other obvious suggestions I'm missing? A green Glare of Heresy would be nice!

I really like this. Do you think a one or two of Blind Obedience might help?

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

Taeke posted:

Here is the Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDHA deck I'm working on. Like C-Euro, I'm missing many, many staples and a lot of the cards (especially the creatures) are just filler until I can get my hands on anything better. I would like some general advice on it, though. Are there any glaring flaws and which cards should be a priority to replace?

Next I'm going to work on a (combination of) green EDH deck, either with Rubinia Soulsinger (to be swapped with Phelddagrif should the mood strike me), Kresh the Bloodbraided, or one of each.

Why not replace Cancel with another Counterspell - is it not just the same spell but cheaper??

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

thunderchief posted:

Why not replace Cancel with another Counterspell - is it not just the same spell but cheaper??

It's EDH; he's limited to single copies of any card.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There are still lots of better counterspells. Dissolve, for a recent example.

There's a lot of 1-for-1s in there are cards that don't do enough for a crazy format like Commander.

Serra Angel, sadly, just isn't going to cut the mustard compared to a lot of other things you could be doing with 5 mana in an eternal format.

Divine Verdict compares poorly to things like Swords to Plowshares or Path to Exile. Divination compares poorly to Fact or Fiction or Deep Analysis or any of a zillion other draw spells. You want Brainstorm.

You want more and better mana ramp. There's pretty much no reason for any Commander deck not to have Sol Ring. Fieldmist Borderpost is almost always going to be worse than Darksteel Ingot or Coalition Relic or Chromatic Lantern. Opaline Unicorn is strictly worse than Alloy Myr. Consider Burnished Hart or Armillary Sphere or Mana Vault.

If this is for multi-player commander you need more bigger effects and fewer 1-for-1s. Supreme Verdict is a good Commander card, Wall of Vapor is not.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks for the advice. Like I said, I'm missing a lot of staples and most of the creatures are fillers. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds in the near future to actually spend money on cards, so I'm limited to what I have and what I can trade.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Contemplating an Affinity deck as a Legacy/Modern weapon to get back into those scenes.

I'm not sure if Tempered Steel is "too slow" for this deck, and I'd need to practice when to put my Chalices in play as well as when to attack. Other than that, how does this look?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Taeke posted:

A nice, cheap, super useful addition to any Blue EDH deck is Rhystic Study, you should definitely cut something to add one.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Contemplating an Affinity deck as a Legacy/Modern weapon to get back into those scenes.
Tempered Steel is definitely too slow and you're really light on creatures, I'd add some Signal Pest and Vault Skirge for sure. Paradise Mantle is worlds worse than Springleaf Drum, I'd drop them for more drums without a doubt. Chalice maindeck seems suspect to me, especially 4 of them. Chalice slows you down, shuts off a lot of your own cards, and is much, much worse when you're on the draw.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

TheTofuShop posted:

A nice, cheap, super useful addition to any Blue EDH deck is Rhystic Study, you should definitely cut something to add one.

Which will also make everyone hate you :v:

For content, here's my newest favourite deck: Deck: Maga, Traitor to Mortals . It aims to either generate a ton of mana and drain with Maga or X spells or to deal a ton of pain to itself and surive with a Magus of the Mirror for a turn. When it works out it's a blast to play. Any card suggestions welcome :)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

netcat posted:

How much will everyone hate you for it? It's one of the few EDH staples I have so I almost feel as though I have to run it to stay competitive. I had thought about putting Telepathy in my deck to make everyone sort of love me but I have no idea if that would work.

E: Went to buy sleeves for my deck and picked up a couple Theros boosters for funsies. Cracked a Steam Augury and Bident of Thassa, are either of those worth running in my list?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 6, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Rollie the Guar posted:

Tempered Steel is definitely too slow and you're really light on creatures, I'd add some Signal Pest and Vault Skirge for sure. Paradise Mantle is worlds worse than Springleaf Drum, I'd drop them for more drums without a doubt. Chalice maindeck seems suspect to me, especially 4 of them. Chalice slows you down, shuts off a lot of your own cards, and is much, much worse when you're on the draw.

In addition to this, Batterskull is probably also too slow. When you're playing in Legacy I would run Ancient Tombs. Chalice is probably OK in the board in legacy because it is real bad on turn one for a lot of decks.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

C-Euro posted:

How much will everyone hate you for it? It's one of the few EDH staples I have so I almost feel as though I have to run it to stay competitive. I had thought about putting Telepathy in my deck to make everyone sort of love me but I have no idea if that would work.

I'm mostly kidding but it does sort of paint a target on you, and it's a bit annoying to remember it with everything else going on.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

netcat posted:

I'm mostly kidding but it does sort of paint a target on you, and it's a bit annoying to remember it with everything else going on.

Rhystic study is an amazing card and you really should be running one if you are in blue. The target it paints on you is minor compared to some of the other things you can do in that format, and some people actually want you to draw cards for some reason (recurring insight, perhaps). You are usually limited to ~7 cards anyway. If you have a reliquary tower out then it probably presents a bigger target, but it is still minor. Sire of insanity, mirari's wake, Sheoldred, and any number of other things present much larger threats than some card advantage in a format where everyone has card advantage of some sort.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Legacy Affinity with Tezzeret, AoB and Ancient Tomb is pretty strong - the Ancient Tomb version gets to cast Tezzeret easily since he's effectively a 3-drop with a sol land.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

netcat posted:

I mean, he did post a decklist with Grand Arbiter as a Commander, so I figured he was already in the "table-hates-me" category.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I built a version of Murder Goats the other day, and my friend took it to provincials in Calgary Alberta today, where he Top 8'd. Here's the list we used for it:

Tymaret, and his Murder Goats:

4x Blood Crypt
2x Rakdos Guildgate
11x Mountains
7x Swamps

4x Tymaret, the Murder King
4x Young Pyromancer
4x Purphoros, God of the Forge
3x Dreadbore
3x Slaughter Games
4x Molten Birth
2x Rakdos's Return
4x Magma Jet
4x Rakdos Keyrune
4x Trading Post

Sideboard:

2 Thoughtseize
2 Pithing Needle
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Rakdos Charm
3 Peak Eruption
3 Burning Earth

This deck is Incredible. I cannot get enough of it, especially since people mock it G1, then ask to see the decklist after you 2-0 them. Slaughter Games main board is super ballsy, but was a call for the local meta, and it was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
And here is the Dimir control deck that I made for the GPT yesterday. I built a pile of jank that did significantly better than I thought it would (I missed top 8 just barely due to tie breaks :( ) I built it, played 2.5 test games, and then was in a GPT! :haw:

Ashiok Control:

8x Island
8x Swamp
4x Watery Grave
4x Temple of Deceit

3x Thoughtseize
1x Essence Scatter
3x Ultimate Price
3x Doom Blade
3x Omen Speaker
2x Underworld Connections
3x Heroes Downfall
3x Read the Bones
4x Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
4x Dissolve
4x Desecration Demon
3x AEtherling

Sideboard:

3x Essence Scatter
2x Duress
3x Tidebinder Mage
2x Notion Thief
3x Gainsay
2x Lifebane Zombie

You can tell that I designed this deck really quickly because it has LOTS of room for improvements. Changes I would make:

Move both Underworld Connections to the sideboard, bring 2 Essence Scatters to the main
+1 Doom Blade, -1 Ultimate Price
-3 Gainsay, +3 Negate
-3 Tidebinder Mage +3 Far//Away

And maybe find room for some Syncopates.

I built this deck to beat Esper control, and I was 100% convinced that tis deck would immediately fold to Mono-Red. Then at the GPT I didn't play any control decks, and beat mono-red both times I faced it. Ashiok is an all-star, and as a result of him, I cast more Boros Reckoners than my opponents all day every day.

I would love to hear feedback and suggestions on tweaks/improvements for this deck!

• Locked thread