Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Nice job Kaliber. I'm sure you'll get that run time down no problem. I had a hard time breaking 80 sit-ups for a while, but doing short intervals like with running helped me really get my pacing down, so you may want to give it a try if you're interested. Doing as many countable GOOD reps in 20 seconds then taking a 10 second break and repeating for up to 4-8 sets. Once I started hitting 15+ reps per set I was pretty much golden on my 2 minute times.

KNEEWS:

Got meniscus repair surgery 10 days ago, and I walked for the first time in 2.5 weeks today. took like 1 minute to get from my bedroom to the kitchen :laffo:. The good news is that they were able to repair it, but it is going to take longer to heal than if they removed the torn chunk. Being lazy loving sucks and is boring as poo poo, but at least school starts next week. Here's to tripping in chem lab and spilling chemicals all over the place.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I been doing what alot of the guys here suggested. The CrossFit-ish sit ups. But since we don't have that weird machine I use the decline sit up bench and do 20 reps, 10 to 30 second break, and another 2 sets followed by leg 5 sets of 10 leg lifts with a short break, finished off with a few sets of the ab roller. It's been getting easier and easier to hit 60 the first minute. But as soon as I hit 70, I'll use up almost all my time the second minute to attempt to knock out the last 10. Which never happens.

Not that I should even worry, my next APFT (On profile for this stupid gum graft for 2 weeks. Figured I'll just use the profile to give myself an extra 2 weeks to prepare) I'm getting graded at the 17-21 age group, so everything should be super easy to max except my run. But it should be around 280+ if I max, max, pray to god I run 14 flat.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Kaliber posted:

You know what was awesome? Remember 1LT Anderson? When we came back from Afghanistan we only ran twice a week. Because about 2/3 of the PLT got 260+ on their diagnostic PT test after leave from all the working out we did in Afghanistan and he was the only one who failed push ups. So twice a week was a run, 3 times a week it was upper body/lower body conditioning. Best morning PT I ever had those 2-3 months!

Gave myself a diagnostic APFT. 80 push ups in under 2 minutes with chest to ground and locking out when I come up. 74 sit ups (gently caress this 27+ age group. I'm never going to max this poo poo ever again) and a 15:30 run. Took off about a minute from my run time in 3 weeks. Going to do more sprints and hopefully it'll be a 14 flat by the end of this month.

Anderson is a fag. One of the gayest LTs we ever had in the squadron. He used to cry when the S3 would yell at him because he was SO MEAN.

Decline situp bench is good but yeah if you can get on that glute-ham developer thing you'll get even better.

Since you're saying there isn't one where you're at, you might be able to do it on a regular bench if someone holds your feet or something like that. I'm sure there are other ghetto ways to do the same exercise. I used to always struggle to knock out the last ten or fifteen reps to get 100 points in situps, and I didn't always make it. Now I just keep knocking them out until I get to 80.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Kaliber posted:

You know what was awesome? Remember 1LT Anderson? When we came back from Afghanistan we only ran twice a week. Because about 2/3 of the PLT got 260+ on their diagnostic PT test after leave from all the working out we did in Afghanistan and he was the only one who failed push ups. So twice a week was a run, 3 times a week it was upper body/lower body conditioning. Best morning PT I ever had those 2-3 months!

Gave myself a diagnostic APFT. 80 push ups in under 2 minutes with chest to ground and locking out when I come up. 74 sit ups (gently caress this 27+ age group. I'm never going to max this poo poo ever again) and a 15:30 run. Took off about a minute from my run time in 3 weeks. Going to do more sprints and hopefully it'll be a 14 flat by the end of this month.

My platoon only did 1 long distant run the entire week. 2 were sprint style worjouts. Everyones run time improved.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I did hill sprints today.

Turns out it's not a good idea to do that 12 hours after doing squats. Good workout though.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Did 205 decline yesterday. I max out at 295 on a good day, so 205 is no big deal. Had no spotter.

Farted as I pushed the first five reps and went into a fit of uncontrollable laughter and couldn't get the weight racked.

:(

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Breanna Manning posted:

Did 205 decline yesterday. I max out at 295 on a good day, so 205 is no big deal. Had no spotter.

Farted as I pushed the first five reps and went into a fit of uncontrollable laughter and couldn't get the weight racked.

:(

Who is that in your avatar

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Who is that in your avatar

That is Bradley Manning in a wig.

stevenolson88
Sep 30, 2009

Any one here do the seal fit WODs at all? I have been doing crossfit style stuff for about 6 months, but never had a strict regimen of what I would do at the gym. Mostly just came up with it on the fly. I tried outlaw for about two weeks, but I quickly tired of doing snatch every single loving day. So my buddy pointed me towards seal fit (yeah, I get it, the name is super lame), and the work outs are pretty loving killer. I scale back some of the stuff so I can maintain proper form, but have been doing the majority of the stuff as prescribed. I think it's a pretty good program for guys who don't have a lot of experience with power lifting.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Seal fit is alright if you like working out for 4 hours a day.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Seal fit is alright if you like working out for 4 hours a day.

Yeah they're wayyy too long.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I played soccer today and it was really fun.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

What the gently caress is recovery time after a profile and why can't I take a APFT for a loving month because of it?!

I missed the last unit APFT due to being on quarters for a gum graft (gently caress those things. I couldn't eat real food for 3 weeks.) and I'm being told since I was on a 21 day profile, I can't take a PT test until my recovery time is up. Which is another 21 days because if I get fail and get flagged, it's their rear end or something? What the hell? Do I have to write a memo or something to like bypass it so I can finish my drat airborne/ranger packet already?

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 4, 2013

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Recovery time is normal twice the length of profile, up to 90 days.

You should just be able to take one in the recovery period, with the usual bullshit caveat "if you fail, well, that one was a diagnostic".

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kaliber posted:

What the gently caress is recovery time after a profile and why can't I take a APFT for a loving month because of it?!

I missed the last unit APFT due to being on quarters for a gum graft (gently caress those things. I couldn't eat real food for 3 weeks.) and I'm being told since I was on a 21 day profile, I can't take a PT test until my recovery time is up. Which is another 21 days because if I get fail and get flagged, it's their rear end or something? What the hell? Do I have to write a memo or something to like bypass it so I can finish my drat airborne/ranger packet already?

The first time the Army does something to try and prevent PT injuries, and people are complaining about it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Ha ha, jokes on you. No soldier, we're not gonna use this time to ramp you back up, you're gonna get the nuts smoked off you and in all likelihood end up back on profile because of lack of heart, or some other buzzword that reminds me of the time that sergeant major stuck his dick in my mouth.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
YOU'RE ON PROFILE AGAIN? YOU loving SHITBAG.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Breanna Manning posted:

YOU'RE ON PROFILE AGAIN? YOU loving SHITBAG.

A broken heart takes a long time to heal :smith:

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I was running today and about 100 meters in I got a really sharp pain in a very small area on my shin. Felt kind of like someone putting a cigarette out on it. I thought a bee stung me or something but there was no mark or anything and it stopped immediately so I started running again and it started happening again with less and less distance between when I would feel the pain. I quit pretty early and came home and I'm going to go to the doc when I can but has anyone else had anything like this? Theres no swelling or anything that I can see and it feels fine as long as I don't run.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Bogarts posted:

I was running today and about 100 meters in I got a really sharp pain in a very small area on my shin. Felt kind of like someone putting a cigarette out on it. I thought a bee stung me or something but there was no mark or anything and it stopped immediately so I started running again and it started happening again with less and less distance between when I would feel the pain. I quit pretty early and came home and I'm going to go to the doc when I can but has anyone else had anything like this? Theres no swelling or anything that I can see and it feels fine as long as I don't run.

Just a guess but it sounds like a pretty bad stress fracture.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
walk run it off you pussy

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The secret to avoid running injures is by not running.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Probably shin splints or a stress fracture. Start icing it in the mean time and get xrays done.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'd go for shin splints. But it could be either. One of the key signs of either shin splints or stress fracture is that as your legs warm up from exercise, they get worse.

Good lord can they get worse. Really, don't try and run through them, because you won't.

In the mean time, if it is shin splints, old man greenmeat offered up some motherfucking awesome advice on how to help get rid of them, and stop them happening again. Sit down in a chair, a towel flat on the round in front of you. Put your feet on the towel, and then pull the towel in towards you with just your toes.

poo poo is magical.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm sitting on the floor because I'm a pushover to an 8 pound dog. Just started curling my toes up over the carpet and gently caress yeah that works the shins.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Getting better at glute ham raises. I can manage five sets of five after my regular squat workout now.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010
Is it possible for a groin strain to manifest as tightness in your taint and base of your dick?
Felt what I can only describe as a "weird, tight tugging" in both when squatting about a month ago that was enough to make me stop lifting completely for a month. Doc has felt my poo poo up and assured me I don't have a hernia and that I probably pulled something. My homeboys tell me it sounds like a groin strain or a "tight" pelvic floor.

I'm still too terrified to squat.

edit: there was no "oh poo poo" moment that lead to the original event. I had squatted my work set 5x5 a day before and had no problems. Went to load up work set and felt it. Panicked and checked for hernia and found nothing, came back and de-loaded to just 25lbs on each side of the bar and felt it again. Panicked and went to doctor, and here I am a month later.

DinosaurWarfare fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 30, 2013

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you ripped open a hernia, you would have known instantly. You would have felt a definite pop followed immediately by a burning stabbing pain.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Today I decided to push myself a little and do some explosive and speed work.

Light weights, bitch.

5 minutes of dynamic stretching

1 min max of
pushups: 45
situps: 36

half assed effort pullups (not a timed max, but all were dead hang): 10

bw jump squats
5x3

front squats
5x3 45# pausing at bottom position and exploding up

clap pushups off a bench
5x3

bench press
5x3 135# pausing at bottom position and exploding up

hang clean
1x3 45#
1x3 115#
3x3 65#

deadlift
5x3 115# pausing at bottom position and exploding up

push press
5x3 65#

ohp
5x3 45# pausing at bottom position and exploding up

<1 to 1 minute rest between these sets.

10 minutes of static stretching

bb complex @45#
6 reps each of
deadlift
bent over rows
hang cleans
front squats
pushpress
back squat

1 round

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
am hike split 1.3mi then another 1.3mi 3 hours later

pm

warmup
leg press
2x20 40#

stretches in between sets

work sets more like testing joke sets (knee lololol)
box squats
3x5 45# 65# 95#

back sqauts
5x3 135#

leg extensions
2x40
drop sets starting at 50# and going down to 10#. No specific rep/weight goal in mind just changed it when the poo poo was burning. Hold at ext, slow negative.

leg press
2x80 70#
changing foot position every 20 reps, then every 10 for second set

bw alt lunges
2x20 (10 each side)
first time doing real lunges on the ground. I have a knot of scar tissue tugging at the joint so is was painful getting all the way down, but I managed.

stiff legged roman dead lifts 20# dbs warmup for good mornings
1x20

good mornings
2x20 45# bar

Rest was 1 minute between every set.

I'm going to try leg curls next week. My leg has been too weak to do them so far, but I think I may be able to get a few in next monday.

Also, Mutant Mass gives you some serious mutant farts.

I lost about 15 pounds since the surgery and I'm up around 4-5, but it's probably water weight. Right leg is skinny jean worthy, but I'm losing fat on it and gaining more muscle on the thigh every week. My calves are almost the same again. WOOO!

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 1, 2013

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

elite_garbage_man posted:

Also, Mutant Mass gives you some serious mutant farts.

I lost about 15 pounds since the surgery and I'm up around 4-5, but it's probably water weight. Right leg is skinny jean worthy, but I'm losing fat on it and gaining more muscle on the thigh every week. My calves are almost the same again. WOOO!

Instead of spending all that money, just make your own mass gainer at home. 2 cups chocolate milk, 1 banana, 2 scoops chocolate whey (I use combat powder though), 4 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter.

That equates to somewhere around 50g of protein and 1,100 calories. If you get a giant jug of protein and a big container of peanut butter, you're only really consistently paying for a gallon of milk and some bananas. Beats paying 70 bucks + shipping for 26 servings. Plus it is god drat delicious. Add in some Waxy Maize if you feel so inclined.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 1, 2013

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you ripped open a hernia, you would have known instantly. You would have felt a definite pop followed immediately by a burning stabbing pain.

thanks. this feels more like a weird sharp tightness, and happens anywhere from the top of my dick to my literal rear end in a top hat when I'm stretching that area. Come to think of it, maybe it really is just some kind of really bad strain that takes over a month to heal :shrug:

loving hernias sound even more terrifying after you described them, I will never be not afraid of those

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

whatspeakyou posted:

Instead of spending all that money, just make your own mass gainer at home. 2 cups chocolate milk, 1 banana, 2 scoops chocolate whey (I use combat powder though), 4 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter.

That equates to somewhere around 50g of protein and 1,100 calories. If you get a giant jug of protein and a big container of peanut butter, you're only really consistently paying for a gallon of milk and some bananas. Beats paying 70 bucks + shipping for 26 servings. Plus it is god drat delicious. Add in some Waxy Maize if you feel so inclined.

Oh dude, speaking of shakes: I started making this awesome concoction every morning. Two scoops weigh, bananas, strawberries, a little milk, and honey greek yogurt. loving awesome.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

thanks for the tip.

bench warmup
1x20 45
dynamic stretching
1x14 45
dynamic stretching

3x3 115, 135 135

work

5x3 215#, 205# 3x185#

2x40 drops sets. First one starting at 145# and going to 95, the second starting at 135# and going to 45#

incline db press 2x30 25#

flat db flies 2x25 15#

pushups
2x20

tricep pushdown drop sets
2x30 starting at 60 and going to 30

seated tricep press
2x30 25#

one arm tricep push down
2x20 10#

1 minute rest between all sets

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22071400

Just gonna leave this here. This paper is awesome, it made my day. I now have peer reviewed journal evidence for something I've been saying for years. Feels good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I know you guys are a bunch of babies who don't like running, but I'm crosspostin' anyways.

Casimir Radon posted:

Finished my first race ever yesterday. I've always been able to run 5k pretty easily so I decided to do a trail half instead, and decided the Porcupine Mountain Trail Half Marathon fit the timetable pretty well. I wasn't really prepared for how muddy it ended up being, probably at least 5 miles of deep sucking mud. Not having any mountains around here I wasn't quite prepared for the climbing either and ended up speed walking up some of the more brutal hills, which was fine because that's what everybody else ended up doing too. The course was extended to 13.8 miles after a reroute. My chiptime was 2:49:26.7 which I'm pretty happy with, it's about 5 minutes slower than I was estimating which I suppose the added distance accounts for.

I almost ended up lost somewhere around mile 4 when I went off in the wrong direction and led some other guy astray, luckily we only got about 50 feet before we realized something was wrong. There weren't as many flags as there probably should have been. There was a 10 foot river crossing in ankle deep water, I'm glad I bought those Injinji socks or I'd have probably ended up with soem blisters. I also forgot to charge my GPS watch and it ended up dying around mile 11, which sucked because it turns out if you're battery goes while recording the information doesn't get saved.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Great job, Prefontaine!!!!!!!!!!!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

I know you guys are a bunch of babies who don't like running, but I'm crosspostin' anyways.

I like running, I might even do a 10 mile run tomorrow morning.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

A Kpro posted:

I like running, I might even do a 10 mile run tomorrow morning.

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Had an APFT for my airborne packet. Only did a minute's of push ups, minute of sit ups and kinda tried for my run. 60 push ups in 52 seconds and got up, 60 sit ups in a minute 12 and got up, and ran a 15:10. Legs were sore from the gym so it might have been because I wasn't at 100%? Or because I ran a 6:45 my first mile and said eh, I got this and jogged back my second.

Scored a 220 or something for the 17-21 age group. 231 for mine. And it was considered a record APFT as well because my last one is out of date. So I have to redo it this Friday if I want a good score in my NCOER. I figure if I go 10 seconds faster, max both push ups and sit ups I'll be a 280. I really didn't loving want to run another 2 miles in such a short time. gently caress running!

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 8, 2013