Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
:siren: ANOTHER REMINDER THAT IL-2 NIGHT IS TONIGHT, SEPTEMBER 23, 2012 AT 8 PM CENTRAL :siren:

You will need:

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. Either the Steam or GOG version will be up to date. Those with CD copies will have to patch it to that level.

Mumble.

You may need:

Hyperlobby.

Booze.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

Did you click generate mission after creating the campaign? The campaign sets the overall parameters of the series but unless you mash generate mission between each session, nothing will change.

For spins, PARE. Power off, Ailerons neutral, Reverse Rudder (hold opposite the spin), Elevator neutral. Once out of the spin, pull out of the subsequent dive before gaining too much airspeed while being careful not to tear your wings off.

If that doesn't work, dump your flaps, your gear, anything to adjust your CG and drag forces.

"Select or create a campaign before continuing". But I have the relevant DCG campaign open in IL2, and it won't create anything in the DCG directory.

When you say create the campaign are you talking in il2 or dcg?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Edited: Try deleting Pacific1942_UM from your DCG folder and Backup folder.

Go into your IL2 Missions/Campaign folder and go into each country folder and delete any 'DCG' folder present. Also delete any folder in these country folders that have 'DGen_' in the name.

After all that try generating a new campaign in DCG.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 23, 2013

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
11 people on right now playing coops. Good times.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Reports and or videos would be appreciated.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
No videos here but it was great night with a lot of players. I'm figuring out the DCG again and we kicked some Russian rear end in Buffalos, then did some TB-3 jousting and a little dogfighting.

Next time we do this I'll want to host later war MDS missions. I'm thinking German 1942ish.

Also, the next 2 IL-2 sessions I'm hosting are scheduled as follows:

IL-2 Sunday Afternoon - Sunday September 29th at 2:30 PM CDT

IL-2 Sunday Night - Sunday October 6th at 7:30 PM CDT

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
That was awesome, I'll definitely be there next time and hopefully on time too.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Yeah, I'm sorry I missed it. Work still keeping me there until 11CST most nights. I'll try to make the next one for sure.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Had some fun if the buffaloes last night. Maybe I'll try and get my free track setup going again before next time. I definitely need to fiddle with my axis curves a bit too. While I didn't inflict much damage, at least I didn't loose any planes :)

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Good times flying with you gents last night. I still hate the Buffalo, but after last night, I hate it just a little less.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The thing about the Buffalo is it's better in groups where you can cover each other and use it's strengths, kinda like the F4F. The second thing is it can only hold its own against aircraft from the same era.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Is everyone going with straight 4.12 patch, or is there a mod that is being commonly used during goon IL-2 meets?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I'm pretty sure that we're all vehemently anti mod.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Is everyone going with straight 4.12 patch, or is there a mod that is being commonly used during goon IL-2 meets?

Just in case you're one of the few with a cd copy, the current version is 4.12.1.

If you have Steam or GOG it's exactly what comes down the pipe. Nothing else is required.

You may want Hyperlobby but it doesn't touch your il2 install.

Lowengrins DCG if you want to try your hand at hosting.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
Got it working with a full re install, thanks for the troubleshooting dudes.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
How's your spin recovery progressing?

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

How's your spin recovery progressing?

Better than my aim

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'll do my best to be there on time this afternoon but if I end up being a few minutes late DON'T PANIC.

We signed a lease on a new place but we have both places for a month so we're moving in stages. I'm going to take a few loads before logging in.

The last stage will be our main computers (we have too many computers) and by then we should have Internet at the new place so there shouldn't be any interruption in IL-2 sessions.

EDIT: We finished even earlier than we thought so I definitely won't be late. IL-2 is still on at 2:30 PM!

EDIT 2: Another good turnout. DCG kinda crapped itself a few missions in on the first campaign but it was easily fixed.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 29, 2013

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Oleg's new project DCS WW2 has reached it's goal (and is a bit above that)

They're currently at $118k of the $100k requested and five days left, so I don't think they're going to hit any stretch goals.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
So Oleg's next game will be on an engine that is even more unstable and terrible than CoD was? :bravo:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Das Butterbrot posted:

So Oleg's next game will be on an engine that is even more unstable and terrible than CoD was? :bravo:

Oh boy oh boy I can't wait for this trainwreck to unfold :munch:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I messaged one of the developers on the IL-2 forums basically telling him that I can't justify dropping $90 bucks on IL-2 BoS after CLOD was such a collosal failure but if they're willing to toss me an alpha invite en gratis I'd give it a fair shake and try to drum up support if it looks like it's going to shape up to be a decent game.

Because gently caress getting burned again on a lovely game with 'promise'.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Don't get me wrong, I love DCS (and have spent way too much money on it), but I don't think I've ever played a game that crashed more often. Also, not being able to change your controls while ingame in the year of our lord 2013? In a flight-sim where you need to set up about 2104867 different buttons? Seriously?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
That poo poo seriously irks me. I mean wtf, how is it not possible to change your buttons while in-game?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Just noticed this for DCS WW2: one of the mega-rewards (at the $7,500 level) is putting your likeness and voice into the game as an ace, including you speaking during the mission briefing.

It's a shame nobody picked that, because listening to some mouthbreathing simsperg pretending to be a WW2 ace would be pretty funny.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Before anyone criticizing my tactics, I found some historical justification:

"Head-on deliberate midair collision is a weapon of heroes. Glory to the Stalin's falcons, threat to the fascist predators!" :ussr:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don't forget, tomorrow night is IL-2 starting at 7:30 CDT. I also scheduled a Wednesday session starting at 9 PM CDT.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Das Butterbrot posted:

Is Oleg actually in on it? I though he was just lending his name and Old Lady Face to Luthier's kickstarter video.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Blistex posted:

Is Oleg actually in on it? I though he was just lending his name and Old Lady Face to Luthier's kickstarter video.

Ilya lists him in the beginning, but you might be right, he may be there for cred.

They managed $158k, which was enough to hit their first stretch goal (the ME 262A-1). One person backed at the $2k level, nobody at any of the three levels above that. We'll see how well their timeline holds up. One of the caveats listed is the landscape engine, I suppose that it doesn't render French houses with the appropriate levels of chipped paint yet.

Also, playing IL-2 with you folks last night was awesome, I'd missed that. When do TB-3 shenans happen?

Edit: Also, does anyone have any suggestions for trimming? Last night someone (Joven, I think?) commented that he got the 110 up to 460km/h at 85% throttle, I was struggling to get it up to 440 at 90%. When I'm cruising, how do I properly approach trim? I always find myself oscillating around center and have a real hard time getting nice, level flight. What's proper procedure for cruising? Radiator open at all?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 7, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
TB3 stuff happens when enough people want to do it.

In general, when I'm hosting I want people to speak up and say what they'd like to do. I'm trying to make these sessions fun for everyone. Suggest in here or on mumble the sort of things that you'd like to see.

That being said. If we're in the middle of a campaign and you're the only one who wants things changed, ask for a different campaign for the next session. I've had a few people spend an entire session bitching about something the majority were OK with. That's not cool.

As for trim. First, I had a lighter load than you, I think. Second, after I said that I realized I was in a gentle 300 fpm descent.

Despite that, here's how to trim:

Set elevator trim so you can maintain level flight without control input.

Set rudder trim until the slip indicator is centered.

Set aileron trim to counter roll tendency.

Do it in that order and you'll fly further and faster.

Lastly, I just found out why DCG was crashing a few minutes in. Its a bug that was fixed in a beta release, which I'll be testing this Wednesday. If this works it means I'll have more options to tailor dcg stuff to suit us.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'd love to get in on this now that I have a PC that can run IL-2, mumble, and Freetrack all at the same time, but for the life of me I can't get freetrack to work with Windows 7 (same problem as earlier in the thread). I was reading the freetrack forums, and they mentioned hitting stream first, then start to the game then start freetrack, but I can't get freetrack to see what my PS3 Eye can see. Maddening since it worked without a hitch on my old laptop.

If I ever get it up and running I'll be sure to get back into the game.

What was that huge mess of a mission generator we were using a few years back that made ongoing missions that accounted for team losses and bombed targets? That was awesome when it worked (almost never). I think Breakfast or Joven was in charge of it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
That was Scorched Earth Online War (SEOW) and I am pretty sure the developers of that infrastructure require you to have one of those huge fuckoff mod packs for it to function.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 7, 2013

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Blistex posted:

I'd love to get in on this now that I have a PC that can run IL-2, mumble, and Freetrack all at the same time, but for the life of me I can't get freetrack to work with Windows 7 (same problem as earlier in the thread). I was reading the freetrack forums, and they mentioned hitting stream first, then start to the game then start freetrack, but I can't get freetrack to see what my PS3 Eye can see. Maddening since it worked without a hitch on my old laptop.

If I ever get it up and running I'll be sure to get back into the game.

What was that huge mess of a mission generator we were using a few years back that made ongoing missions that accounted for team losses and bombed targets? That was awesome when it worked (almost never). I think Breakfast or Joven was in charge of it.

Use FaceTrackNoIR with the pointtracker plugin. Everything about it seems great, and the Accela filter works much better than the smoothing that freetrack used.

IIRC Freetrack was abondoned years ago, unless something has changed.

Here's there sourceforge site
http://ftnoirpt.sourceforge.net/#about

And the download page
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ftnoirpt/

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 7, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

pixelbaron posted:

That was Scorched Earth Online War (SEOW) and I am pretty sure the developers of that infrastructure require you to have one of those huge fuckoff mod packs for it to function.

Also, making time for regular IL-2 stuff is hard enough. IIRC, the nerdwrangling required to keep an SEOW campaign going was insane to the point where the people involved in organizing it burned out.

I'd rather not subject myself to that.

That being said, if someone else wants to host an SEOW campaign, or host ANYTHING, please do so. I'm more than willing to let other people host things. Announce it here and send me a PM here or in Steam to post an event on the Steam group. Hell, I'd be giving rights to the Steam group to a lot more people if I were the group owner.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Yeah, it was a bitch to manage and it doesn't help that IL-2's co-op interface is an ancient relic.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Did I miss something? Where is everyone?

Edit, nevermind, just realized you actually posted that on the 5th

dayman fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 8, 2013

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

That being said. If we're in the middle of a campaign and you're the only one who wants things changed, ask for a different campaign for the next session. I've had a few people spend an entire session bitching about something the majority were OK with. That's not cool.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply a problem with the campaign at all, and am more than happy with the current setup :ohdear: (and also thankful that you host this poo poo for us)

Has anyone used the Attack Training Mission Generator (IL-2 ATMG) lately? I tried to make a dive-bombing mission since I was struggling with my bombing last night, but none of my bombs actually explode on the target. I planted a 1600lb bomb on the deck of a cargo ship, and nothing happened. Is this a problem with the generator or is this some sort of issue with my bombing? I set the fuzing to immediate, but the target just won't go boom.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 8, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply a problem with the campaign at all, and am more than happy with the current setup :ohdear: (and also thankful that you host this poo poo for us)

That comment was in no way directed at you. Sorry if you thought it was.

EDIT: The good news is the fact that you thought I did means I succeeded in saying that without doing a name and shame.

JerikTelorian posted:

Has anyone used the Attack Training Mission Generator (IL-2 ATMG) lately? I tried to make a dive-bombing mission since I was struggling with my bombing last night, but none of my bombs actually explode on the target. I planted a 1600lb bomb on the deck of a cargo ship, and nothing happened. Is this a problem with the generator or is this some sort of issue with my bombing? I set the fuzing to immediate, but the target just won't go boom.

Here's the thing about bomb fuses. The shorter the fuse, the longer the bomb needs to fall before it arms. This is to keep you from dropping a bomb and having it go off while you're in the blast radius. 'Immediate' usually means the bomb needs to fall a hell of a long way. Try a short or long delay.

When I hit Tab to bring up the communications menu on the right it tells me the settings of my current bomb. It should for everyone but some people don't seem to get that. For all I know it's because I always host games and maybe only the host gets to see that. :iiam:

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 8, 2013

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

pixelbaron posted:

What is SEOW can't find any info that is helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

wargames posted:

What is SEOW can't find any info that is helpful.

It is the dynamic multiplayer campaign generator that tracks damage, losses etc for the sides, for IL-2. A few years back, goons ran a few campaigns (in GBS I think?) and had a lot of fun, but it was also a lot of work to manage apparently. I wish I could have participated, but I only got a joystick just as it was winding down.

• Locked thread