Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
People drinking booze?! Well, I NEVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I don't get it. What's supposed to be gross about it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Midnight City posted:

Yes. Heroes had the same problem as Lost, both its lead writers admitting they just started making it up as they went along and when you have a show like Heroes with so many super powers and a show like Lost where it's all about the mystery, that's probably the worst way you could ever go with them.

I said it pages back too that Supernatural was originally intended for 5 seasons and they're going on the 9th now, the show went from dealing with the literal apocalypse in season 5 to...I don't even remember anything important in seasons 6-8.

If Sleepy Hollow is intended for 7 seasons truly, it'll be awesome.

vvv I'm still watching it too but I think the general opinion is that the quality of it nosedived after the 5th

I don't think that's the general opinion at all. The general opinion seems to be that the show kind of felt aimless for a while after the main storyline wrapped up but that they wrote themselves back into a really good place. Most people consider this last season to be one of the better ones they've done.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
So now that the fans clearly have the eye of the writers and actors, how soon can we start a campaign for one episode to just be a day with Ichabod and Abbie at Six Flags?

Orlando Jones posted:

Ship name: Irvabod
:allears:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I kind of want the Legend of Sleepy Hollow to exist in their universe, just to see Ichabod react to how Washington Irving described him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tupping Liberty posted:

I kind of want the Legend of Sleepy Hollow to exist in their universe, just to see Ichabod react to how Washington Irving described him.

Well, Washington Irving is a well known liar who inserted the belief that people thought the world was flat before Columbus into the popular consciousness.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
"Let me get this straight, I died so that the Headless Horseman could die, and I'm remembered as a bumbling fool who doesn't get the girl?"

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

pentyne posted:

Supernatural was going to end on season 5, but was so popular they got a season six, but no guarantee for season 7 so they were more or less writing with the expectation that they might have to wrap up the show in a few episodes, same problem with season 7, but for season 8 it looks like the CW promised them up to season 10 so the writers can go back to writing season long plots that carry over.

Supernatural was fantastic for season 3-5, 6 was a big letdown, 7 was a step in the right direction and season 8 was a lot more like the first few. They've expanded the cast, built some hugely expensive sets they plan to keep around and overall it looks like it might get back to when it was at its best.

If I really really enjoyed seasons 1 through 5 but then dropped the show in disgust after season 6 (maybe part of season 7?) Where should I jump back in? Tail end of 7 or just hop into 8?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Figure out where you left off and start there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My roommate isn't a huge fan of the show because he thinks it's too cheesy and Abbie overacts too much. He was surprised it was renewed. :colbert:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Josh Lyman posted:

My roommate isn't a huge fan of the show because he thinks it's too cheesy and Abbie overacts too much. He was surprised it was renewed. :colbert:

Lock him out of your guys' place because Nicole Beharie acts better than half the cast of SHIELD (Clark Gregson and Ming Na aside, they're cool). Not taking that back. :colbert:

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
:3: I just realized we live in the same area, Annakie. (was browsing your tumblr for gifs, not being a deliberate stalker creep!)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm finding this show pretty fun. I think they need to polish up the writing for their standalone monster-of-the-week episodes a little or keep up the pace and refuse to really settle into a status quo, because the way that crazy poo poo just kept on happening was definitely my favourite part of the first two episodes and the third episode lost a lot of that pace. If anything, this episode could've done with a B-plot to keep it interesting, maybe introduce a bit more of the good witch cult and show them finding a replacement for the dead priest.

I'm still gonna follow the show though because it's still hilarious :munch:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Huh, wenn Abbie's sister showed up first, I thought "hey look, it's Susanna Moyer from Ingress, that's interesting".

Now I just realized it's Sonya from Nikita and I don't get how I did not recognize her immediately.

They really could be siblings, though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Figure out where you left off and start there.

You can FF through some of the random monster of the week episodes but every single season has some fantastic character development and amazing guest stars. It's best to just watch ever episode and if boring skip through to see if any major characters do anything. There was one episode about a fountain and wishes and nothing else I can remember because nothing else happened and it was just "Sam and Dean roll into a town, see strange things and solve a mystery without interacting with any other major characters."

The last 6 eps of season 6 are essential, probably 2/3rds of season 7, and all of season 8 (except Sam's retarded romance plot) because it's setting up a new multi-season plot. The Felicia Day episodes aren't great, but interesting enough from a "regular monster hunters deal with a nerdy internet girl" perspective" that it's really entertaining. During the Ren Faire episode Dean gets really into the whole "feudal warrior knight mentality" and runs with it to make one of the funniest speeches ever in the show.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

And on the other hand, with Supernatural, they really still do MOTW great. When they drop the arc stuff for an episode and just roll into a haunted house and shotgun some ghosts, it still works.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
So with the Headless Horseman channeling Arnie and the Sandman giving off heavy Robert Patrick vibes, next episode is gonna go full T2 with Sarah Connor in the insane asylum, right? Right???

Spengelbeiser
Oct 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

You see that with a lot of "historical" characters. The ones that the audience is supposed to like are the ones that act exactly like modern day Americans no matter how out of place it is. Crane isn't the worst offender at this by a mile. Fortunately Sleepy Hollow's historical aspects aren't supposed to be taken seriously so it doesn't stand out as badly as it does in bad historical novels (or 90% of "good" historical novels for that matter).

You do it because it's a stupid loving idea to write a horrible unlikeable unrelatable racist sexist homophobic monster for a character into a fun campy show like this. Why would you do this? Why would anyone even entertain the notion that historically accurate characters would add anything at all to a show like this? Just so we can have some hilarious racism? That sounds unwatchable.

If anything I'm thankful that this show goes out of its way to make sure that its core premise doesn't make it extremely uncomfortable to watch. More headless guys with machine guns please. This show is fun and has a great cast with plenty of people of color in important roles and promises to be the best monster of the week type thing I've seen in ages. It doesn't need a redemption arc for a racist white guy in a leading role to awkwardly drum up conflict. Everything is good how it is and I am happy. Amen.

Spengelbeiser fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 7, 2013

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I for one watch this show both for the silly supernatural stuff and for the silly "WHAT MANNER OF SORCERY IS THIS" bits. I mean, Ichabod seems like a pretty keen fella and he saves his astonishment for things like donut taxes, car windows and the like (and, uh, systematic policies of mass slaughter), but I just love the whole time-displacement cultural shock thing. And Abbie's post-its were such a :3: detail

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

pentyne posted:

You can FF through some of the random monster of the week episodes but every single season has some fantastic character development and amazing guest stars. It's best to just watch ever episode and if boring skip through to see if any major characters do anything. There was one episode about a fountain and wishes and nothing else I can remember because nothing else happened and it was just "Sam and Dean roll into a town, see strange things and solve a mystery without interacting with any other major characters."

You're joking, right? That's one of the single best episodes out of Supernatural's entire run.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Flatscan posted:

You're joking, right? That's one of the single best episodes out of Supernatural's entire run.

"Bow before Todd!"

edit: I decided to pick up where I left off. Really enjoying it. I guess now that it's been long enough since I've seen 1 through 5 I'm no longer comparing them to the new seasons.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
It's time :dance:

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

:3: I just realized we live in the same area, Annakie. (was browsing your tumblr for gifs, not being a deliberate stalker creep!)

Hello local goon :)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Just... felt like a random monologue?

e: Oh god OnStar :laffo:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hahahaha!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
MUTHERFUCKING ONSTAR

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nothing will ever top that.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That was amazing.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

The squawk of laughter that got out of me terrified the cats off of the couch. A promising start to the episode.

Civic Dare
Feb 4, 2008
That scene has convinced me about this show.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
That was magnificent.

Like, I was sitting here going, "Ugh, great, overwrought emotional dra- ahahahahahahaha."

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
"Hell will come to us."

Only this show could sell that line and make it awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Picture of Clancy Brown on the wall.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Annakie posted:

"Hell will come to us."

Only this show could sell that line and make it awesome.

They even made a similar joke twice in one episode. They have no shame. :allears:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
5 second recap

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Crane is Forrest Gumping the poo poo out of the American Revolution.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
He got two shots off this time :v:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zero One posted:

He got two shots off this time :v:

I love his stance when he's firing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Now I know why this guy was talking with a german accent!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Screw Hessians, they're chaos cultists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
We goin' full-on Ars Goetia here :toot:

• Locked thread