Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Got a little pic of my character ! With a random goon whose name I forgot because he did nothing except standing there !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

e: Would like to find tricks for other survival maps. The one against corrupt police wasn't difficult for me and a newbie friend to hit 7th with standing by side gates and picking off enemies as they come into view.
There's a great safespot in the Sandy Shores one from which you can basically solo the whole thing. I'll upload a screenshot later, there's a dumpster inside a building just north of the road to the east side of town. Just crouch behind it and pick off the zombies hillbillies when they pop up. Works even better when you've got 1-2 other player on the south side of town.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I've tried to not be too hard on Rockstar over this, but this last patch was the coup de gras. People are still losing characters, some people still can't even get into online, and those who can get online have had their single player saves hosed.

In spite of all of this, they have still found time and resources to nerf grinding 3 separate times in the last week. That line they gave us about this game not being pay to win was bullshit. Every action they have taken since online launched has contradicted it.

GTA online, brought to you by loving Zynga.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Cash Cards are still down. I'll admit it, I am the type of guy who is going to toss :tenbux::tenbux: at the game in order to buy the car I want and apartment I want because as a college student I don't have the time to grind so when I can play I would rather spend it doing races and having fun.

Any second person want to confirm that you get the Special Edition weapons Online? If so I may return my game and bump it up a little bit just because I want my god damned Pistol .50 and Hammer.

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008
Question for the dudes with a nice view of the city from their apts... Do things happening outside the apt show real time? Like explosions and poo poo? I would get that purely out of that reason. My dinky $87 apartment has NO such view, as nice as it is.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Rapdawg posted:

Cash Cards are still down. I'll admit it, I am the type of guy who is going to toss :tenbux::tenbux: at the game in order to buy the car I want and apartment I want because as a college student I don't have the time to grind so when I can play I would rather spend it doing races and having fun.

Any second person want to confirm that you get the Special Edition weapons Online? If so I may return my game and bump it up a little bit just because I want my god damned Pistol .50 and Hammer.

Yeah, I use the .50 Pistol most of the time. It's ruthless.

For anyone else curious, SE includes Bullpup shotgun, .50 Pistol and the hammer. The two guns get all attachments and skins free and unlocked from the start.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

yeah you see everything that's happening outside

omglookabear
Apr 26, 2003

Rapdawg posted:

Confirmed. Hammer away.

You also get the Hotknife and Carbon RS in addition to the Khamelion in Online, which I wasn't expecting.

The only thing missing bonus wise is the blimp pre-order bonus.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Kringy posted:

Question for the dudes with a nice view of the city from their apts... Do things happening outside the apt show real time? Like explosions and poo poo? I would get that purely out of that reason. My dinky $87 apartment has NO such view, as nice as it is.

Yes, also you can set off sticky bombs from inside your apartment. Only the $200k + have windows

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Agoat posted:

Yeah, I use the .50 Pistol most of the time. It's ruthless.
The .50 Pistol is a beast of a gun. Two body shots will down an unarmoured player, the only better pistol is the AP pistol and that's like a Rank 30-something unlock.
I stick suppressors on my guns to stop the police from turning up quicker.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Haven't been prompted to download any patch, but now whenever I want to do missions with goons I get timed out and get sent back to single player.

Also this patch is extremely unfair to people who are waiting for Rockstar to get their poo poo together before playing. "Oh you didn't grind during the first week and deal with all the bullshit? Have fun leveling up at a snails pace!"

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Oh my god Rooftop Rumble is insane. $25K and 4.5K rp for literally 20 seconds of work. It's going to be the next to be nerfed.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Capoeira Capybara posted:

I've tried to not be too hard on Rockstar over this, but this last patch was the coup de gras. People are still losing characters, some people still can't even get into online, and those who can get online have had their single player saves hosed.

In spite of all of this, they have still found time and resources to nerf grinding 3 separate times in the last week. That line they gave us about this game not being pay to win was bullshit. Every action they have taken since online launched has contradicted it.

Jesus man. I've lost several characters and I'm not this angry. Is replaying the same mission again and again that important to you? Why grind when-

1. You could lose your character at any moment.

2. You can have lots of fun just messing around at a low level.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

hamburglar I was in the middle of a good survival run when you invited me, I accepted afterwards but I couldn't get in. :(

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
This No-Replay stuff wouldn't be as large of an issue if you could select proper bloody missions from the Mission Vote screen instead of Single Round Counter Strike, Most Toys Wins (Team)Deathmatch, Mandatory Wave Defence Hide & Seek Mode and several buckets full of Races. At least more races unlock as you level up I guess. :sigh:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

mcpringles posted:

Oh my god Rooftop Rumble is insane. $25K and 4.5K rp for literally 20 seconds of work. It's going to be the next to be nerfed.

Just did Mixed Up with Coke and it still hasn't been nerfed. I don't think that one will be either since it's a higher level

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Bummer about replaying missions getting nerfed, but since I managed to get my apartment and a car, I'm ready to gently caress around with the various game modes anyways. At least I was able to grind enough to surpass my deleted dude.

Edit: Loving all the gamers.txt of the past few pages. Keep it up!

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Croccers posted:

The .50 Pistol is a beast of a gun. Two body shots will down an unarmoured player, the only better pistol is the AP pistol and that's like a Rank 30-something unlock.
I stick suppressors on my guns to stop the police from turning up quicker.

gently caress I want it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
People trying to maximize efficiency in GTAO is still really weirding me out. I mean, I know it's the normal deal for MMOs but...it's GTA! Aon whims to drive around and causing chaos is the only way I know how to play it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 9, 2013

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Couple questions:

1. Everything I hear seems to indicate that the patch removed QUICK replay, not replay in general. Can't you still vote for "replay" instead of just pulling RT to skip the process?

2. Is there any way I can get a golf game with friends? I can be in a private game, then walk into the golf circle, and it matches me with three randos and I don't get the chance to invite.

3. Do Snapmatic photos not save if they're taken during a mission? I spent some time taking awesome photos of my friends crashing planes in Top Fun, but they aren't uploaded. The photos I took in freeroam are.

edit: Also I'm wondering why people think that nerfing ridiculous money payouts on quickly repeatable missions means that it's "pay to win." It seems just as likely that it makes it "play to win" because farming Violent Duct over and over isn't actually Playing The Game.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Capoeira Capybara posted:

I'm not seeing it. How is this a "pay-to-win" game if you can't pay for anything?

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Samurai Sanders posted:

People trying to maximize efficiency in GTAO is still really weirding me out. I mean, I know it's the normal deal for MMOs but...it's GTA! acting on whims to drive around and causing chaos is the only way I know how to play it.

Pacing around in crouch formation in a rent-controlled apartment is a new crime. A crime in a world of criminals training to criminalize the best, to conduct crimes outstripping their caste.

Welcome to metacrime.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Samurai Sanders posted:

People trying to maximize efficiency in GTAO is still really weirding me out. I mean, I know it's the normal deal for MMOs but...it's GTA! acting on whims to drive around and causing chaos is the only way I know how to play it.

The main issue is that doing free roam stuff is not sustainable. You lose too much money dying and risk bad boy points for blowing up personal cars which you can't identify from something someone just hijacked a minute ago. And with all the super cool stuff gated by either large amounts of money, or levels, it's to be expected people will want to grind for them.

That said, I'm a filthy Have who was able to play Violent Ducts enough to reach level 25 and buy an apartment. I'm way better off than someone who starts playing today, just like all the people who ran Violent Ducts for days on end and have moved on to the level 45 and 75 missions are people I'll never catch up to now.

Last night I made $40k racing with my crew over the course of probably 3 hours. I went in to free roam afterwards, got into a roaming gunfight, and lost $20k in 30 minutes.

e: Racing (and some random deathmatches/survivals) was an absolute blast, though, and something I'm more than willing to do to build up my cash reserves to maintain free roam fuckery. But if you don't find that fun or don't have a goofy crew to roll with, it might not be an option for you.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 9, 2013

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

RageBeef posted:

Yep, spent most of all last night making runs to the military base and airlifting tanks to drop for goons to roll around in, also picking one up for myself every once in a while so wreck some havok on pubbies all the while keeping my good sport rating. I am disappointed that our attempt at airlifting the tank with you in it and trying to blow poo poo up that way didn't work out as well as I had hoped :( I do think you pissed off some random pubbies you kept killing in that game though, because they tried coming after me during one of my run, albeit unsuccessfully, and kept trying afterwards so I taught them a lesson about sticky bombs.

Thanks for the delivery!
-austin attacks

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Most of my time in GTA:O was spent in free roam before I even started doing any of those farming missions and it was perfectly sustainable if you did things on the side like robbing stores, selling cars, or doing the Gang attacks

VarXX fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 9, 2013

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Anyone want to swap racing wins? Gonna make a cup of coffee and start racing. Xbox gt: El J3bus

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Hey does anyone know if the 'range' stat for guns modifies the auto-aim lock on range?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

People trying to maximize efficiency in GTAO is still really weirding me out. I mean, I know it's the normal deal for MMOs but...it's GTA! Aon whims to drive around and causing chaos is the only way I know how to play it.

I feel the same way. I really haven't felt the need to "grind" for anything, and everything that's essential to normal GTA fun is priced reasonably. I've never had more than about 30k in the bank at one time but I have a slick motorcycle that can get me out of 3-star chases pretty easily, a silenced UZI, and a 2-car garage. So at this point my bank account continues to go up, but I really have everything I need(except for sticky bombs, haven't unlocked them yet) with pretty minimal effort. I don't think they intended anyone to just grind and grind so you can get the 200k apt. as fast as possible. You're supposed to start small and it should take a pretty long time to own the nicest apartments in the game. I mean I've considered just paying $10 and buying one right away, but it just seems like it will be much more fun to play naturally and build up to it.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

VarXX posted:

Most of my time in GTA:O was spent in free roam before I even started doing any of those farming missions and it was perfectly sustainable if you did things on the side like robbing stores

Yeah like I originally just hosed around in free roam. I only grind missions when I found a crew to do it with because they were fun- however making money does appear to be something that takes a bit of effort now that the grind is made difficult to do.

EDIT: drat if I don't want the simple things in life though, the dream. One apartment overlooking the poor people, my casual golf foursome that I take too seriously, and a black metallic Banshee with a hot pink stripe down the center for that classic Vice City look. That's the dream.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
It's true, freeroam alone isn't really sustainable.

So do other stuff too. Start your day right with a $7K-$9K car theft for the chop shop, go racing for a bit, maybe some missions, hold up a store for a grand if you're feeling bored, maybe get a Simeon high-priority car down to the docks for $8K or so, parachute or deathmatch some, and then an hour's done and feel free to repeat.

Not that I expect anyone to stop on my account, but trading wins and poo poo is just gauche.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Rapdawg posted:

Yeah like I originally just hosed around in free roam. I only grind missions when I found a crew to do it with because they were fun- however making money does appear to be something that takes a bit of effort now that the grind is made difficult to do.

If you enjoy the racing, those still give good payouts, especially if they are full. Maybe after this patch more people will start doing other activities

VarXX fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 9, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VarXX posted:

Most of my time in GTA:O was spent in free roam before I even started doing any of those farming missions and it was perfectly sustainable if you did things on the side like robbing stores, selling cars, or doing the Gang attacks

Yeah, but most of the toys are locked in the player level shed.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

VarXX posted:

Robbing stores gets me maybe $1500-3000 which is all lost within two deaths. I dropped over 30k while loving around with a friend of mine for an hour. Its way too loving costly to die.

Its not also all about the money. Quick replay allowed you to quickly keep going. I'm sick of 8 minutes in the menu lobbies for 2 minutes of fun.

cliche
Aug 12, 2010
Are all Third Street Goons in auto-aim sessions? I keep trying to connect and being told that there aren't any compatible servers...

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

VarXX posted:

If you enjoy the racing, those still give good payouts, especially if they are full. Maybe after this patch more people will start doing other activities

I can never seem to get into full races.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

A c E posted:

Robbing stores gets me maybe $1500-3000 which is all lost within two deaths. I dropped over 30k while loving around with a friend of mine for an hour. Its way too loving costly to die.

So don't. Try to find other things to do that don't involve killing each other. It's not that hard.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

cliche posted:

Are all Third Street Goons in auto-aim sessions? I keep trying to connect and being told that there aren't any compatible servers...

Yeah. The vast majority of freeroam uses assisted aiming.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but most of the toys are locked in the player level shed.

Do some missions then. Races still can give an upwards of 1200 RP and you can still cheese the prison to get 100 RP every lap

nic olas
Apr 28, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's probably because all the fun stuff takes a lot of money to unlock and no one wants to pay rockstar another 20 loving dollars for fake videogame money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
It's almost like the high paying stuff isn't in yet

• Locked thread